Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #41  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a demo and I would prefer to purchase with an American rep, because I agree it would save big$.

But I have to think that if I were a business who had to guarentee a price based on a very volitile exchange rate probably 3 months in advance, I would be conserative and go in high. Shipping, Fuel surcharges, and the exchange rate are all tough factors. I would not want to be the one making the decisions...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #42  
Inking Addict

The price increases that SU have made in the new catalog are killing my one social outing a month. The girls in my group are dropping like flies. I now have to rethink joining our monthly group. It is the one night the girls and I get together outside our homes (and without our kids) to have some much deserved mommy time. My husband is not liking the difference in the US and Canadian catalog pricing and I can't blame him(he pays the visa bill) He would prefer that I order from the US or not at all.

Let me know where everyone will be buying their stamps at respectable prices.

Thanks
Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolbissonView Post
The price increases that SU have made in the new catalog are killing my one social outing a month. The girls in my group are dropping like flies. I now have to rethink joining our monthly group. It is the one night the girls and I get together outside our homes (and without our kids) to have some much deserved mommy time. My husband is not liking the difference in the US and Canadian catalog pricing and I can't blame him(he pays the visa bill) He would prefer that I order from the US or not at all.

Let me know where everyone will be buying their stamps at respectable prices.

Thanks
Carol
Here's a couple of threads about other stamp companies:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Can your group still get together just to stamp? They wouldn't have to buy anything (just pay for supplies used). I go to a monthly workshop where there is no obligation to buy anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #44  
Inking Addict

Yes, we still get together at each others homes but there are husbands and many many kids to contend with. It just isn't the same. We absolutely love our demo and the friends we've made at our monthly club. Love seeing the new techniques and stamping stuff. We get to see humdreds of different cards and can take pictures of all her samples. It is truly like being in a candy store. I want it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi everyone,
I just sent my e-mail to SU Headquarters. Thanks for the encouragement to do so.
Blessings and hugs
Alida
Yahoo! Let the Stampede begin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Ok, let me first say that after reading this whole post I totally agree that the difference in price is wrong! They should not be charging that much more. HOWEVER I mentioned it to my husband and he suggested that maybe the copyright laws do not transfer to other countries *I'm pretty sure they don't* and that in effect they are charging you for the right to use their images without having the normal regulations that the US does about being able to reproduce and sell them and stuff like that... Not that it really excuses a $150 price difference in an order, but it sounds like something that could be possible...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Ladies,

This is a link to a recent article in Maclean's that discusses the difference in pricing between the 2 countries. There are many other products and stores out there that are not lowering their prices in Canada, not just SU.

http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?c..._106278_106278

I also saw another response from SU on the demo SU forum about this issue. Something about sales volume lower in Canada (because it is still new) and they want the Canadian business to be self-sustaining. So it seems to be a catch 22 situation to me. They can't lower the prices because the sales volumes don't justify it but at the same time, it appears that they are losing customers over the pricing. What will SU do in the future? Who knows?

And don't forget another cost factor - putting out in French the catalog, demo materials, and services. This was something new for SU and took alot of effort. The company could have chosen not to do this. So this adds to the cost of doing business in Canada.

As a hobby demo I would love to see lower prices and keep hoping that it will happen soon. Enough said. Time to go back to stamping. :-D

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #48  
Inking Addict

It the translation is an issue, then they wouldn't be considering moving into Europe, where they will have to translate and not usually into a language they have already used, so to speak.

Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 AM   #49  
Splitcoast Member Company

I am just waiting for them to come to Europe, and it would not take much to change the catty for the UK!
What we are worried about is that they change the $ to �. This would make it very expensive and I can see it struggling if they do that as we are getting $2/� ATM.
I am thinking that it woud be better for me to buy in the USA and ship it to myself via my shiping agent. As it looks like you demo girls pay your own shipping anyway. I just dont know if a demo gets a big discount to make it worth it.

I think all the girls in Canada have to email SU, nothing will stand a chance of changing if you dont. DO it, Do it now and see what the power of the people gets. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 02:24 AM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlidaView Post
Hi everyone,
I just sent my e-mail to SU Headquarters. Thanks for the encouragement to do so.
Blessings and hugs
Alida
Yahoo! Let the Stampede begin!
Is there a specific address we can write to to let them know how we feel?
Suzy

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Address:
12907 S. 3600 W.
Riverton, UT 84065
USA

Phone:
1-800-STAMP UP
(1-800-782-6787)

E-mail:
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottish StamperView Post
I just dont know if a demo gets a big discount to make it worth it.
The discount of 20% coupled with the higher prices made me choose another company to demo for. Until you get your business started, you have to cover most of the minimums yourself. 20% covers your shipping and taxes only in most places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 02:52 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGeelanView Post
Ok, let me first say that after reading this whole post I totally agree that the difference in price is wrong! They should not be charging that much more. HOWEVER I mentioned it to my husband and he suggested that maybe the copyright laws do not transfer to other countries *I'm pretty sure they don't* and that in effect they are charging you for the right to use their images without having the normal regulations that the US does about being able to reproduce and sell them and stuff like that... Not that it really excuses a $150 price difference in an order, but it sounds like something that could be possible...
On their French Canadian website, it seems as if the same Angel policy applies:
http://www.stampinup.com/ca/frc/5848.asp

English Canadian:
http://www.stampinup.com/ca/enc/5848.asp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 02:56 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

I did it - wrote the letter here it is:
I am writing to express my concern regarding pricing of your product in Canada. Despite the weakening of the U.S. dollar, Stampin' Up prices continue to rise here. While I can understand duties and the cost of doing business in Canada, the pricing doesn't seem fair, even with these factors taken into consideration.

Please consider lowering your prices and/or having the stamps made in Canada as well to lower cost. The scrapbooking and stamping market is huge here and if your prices were more competitive I am sure your business would grow at an even greater rate than it is now.

I will always buy Stampin' Up products as I love the design and quality but in lowering your prices I would be able to buy more and not turn to the secondary market to shop.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #55  
Matboard Maniac

Well if the Angel policy is still in effect then that rules out my husbands theory. WOW! I'm still blown away by the price difference! That's insane!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #56  
Crimping Master

Great letter Suzi H.
Hey ladies...if you do send a lette, can you just pop over to the thread I started

And let us know. I am trying to keep a tally of how many ladies email. I think if we can see the total of people emailing it will encourage others to do so as well.

Thanks a bunch,

Ciebelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #57  
Crimping Master

letteR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #58  
Compulsive Stamper

Question taxes on 'gift' items sent?

I have to say, I recently got a large < over $250 > package from the BST section and got knocked for 42 bucks ... thought it was duty, but on closer inspection of the paper attached to the box, it's all taxes, baby! .. odd that, since the seller had marked it as "gift", I wonder why I had to pay extra tax. Is that weird or what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johanna7View Post
What GSNeal said is partially true but it isn't duty. If the item is more than $20 Canadian, which is about $18.50 US it goes through with no inspection (usually) but if it is listed at more than $20 Cdn then they figure $5 for the paperwork and 6% GST and 8% PST (Ontario) and base it on the 'converted to' Canadian funds.

Many times, even if the declared value is much higher, they shut their eyes to it but not always. They collect at the door or you go to the post office to pick it up.

If you were to order an item $100 US and they caught it, it would be converted to about $107.50 plus $5 & 14% (in Ontario) so you would pay about an extra 20 bucks.

This would be eBay, not SU direct of course. Or from the BST part of splitcoaststampers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to lezzels

on todays exchange rate mon 09/17/07 loads of love is $30.95 aust = $47.46us
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to lezzels

oops $39.95 aust
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

I did write to them (stampin up) about this. They basicially said it was the price of doing business in Canada. I ask them for a breakdown of the cost telling them we as customers could lobby our government for lowering that cost, no response to this exact question. However I did stated that last years catty prices should have remained the same for Canadians just to give us a bit of a price break re: the dollar at par. They said they would keep my letter on file (which file we can guess lol)
I do believe that if we spend less with them and write it might do some good I feel for the demo's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather ArsenaultView Post
And don't forget another cost factor - putting out in French the catalog, demo materials, and services. This was something new for SU and took alot of effort. The company could have chosen not to do this. So this adds to the cost of doing business in Canada.
Don't they legally have to produce the catalog and materials for some of the provinces? When I was working for an accounting software company a few years ago, we were going to have to outsource the manuals that I wrote to someone who could translate them to French when we were in the process of partnering with another larger company in Canada. New Brunswick is the only province that is officially bilingual. French has been the official language of Quebec since 1974. Is the catalog only offered in French or is it also available in English? I suppose they are trying to make sure that they have their bases covered. So that someone who only speaks French wouldn't sue Stampin' Up for not providing a catalog in their official language. Maybe it is a requirement of SU from the Canadian government since they are a business in Canada.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #63  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Before the French catalogue, SU! couldn't be sold in Quebec.

I'm guessing that SU! expanded to Quebec to avoid excluding part of Canada. And our #1 Rising Star this year is a demo from Quebec!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #64  
Mad Swapper

My local stamping store has lowered the prices on: hero arts, Penny Black, Inkadinks etc....because.....the Cdn $ is higher. They go through customs once a week. They do the paperwork at the border. Prices have gone down considerably. Therefore, I have looked at and purchased other stamps which I haven't done for a couple of years. And stamp pads too. And paper. And accessories!!!! Change is as good as a rest.
I won't be purchasing too much from SU until those prices come down!!! I love my demo, but not that much. LOL
SU isn't a bargain right now.
Reply With Quote Likes