Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altered Books

I would love to try making one of these, and I've seen a book or two on them, but I would like some of your recommendations for books and websites that are good starting places for this craft. I bought a "leather"-look bound hardback copy of the "The Old Curiosity Shop" for $1.00 at Goodwill, so I've got the book and my stamping stuff, but I'm looking for basic starting points and ideas to get me going. I don't know a lot about this art, but it looks so cool in everything I've seen, so I wanted to try it. I may ruin the book, but I just want to try something new. Thanks for all your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 10:42 AM   #2  
mothermcbride

Go to HGTV / Carol Duvall. She just had a woman doing an altered book this morning. I tuned in late but what I saw was really neat.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I saw that this morning and also only caught the last bit of it. That's what set me off again. I had bought the book intending to use it for this, but hadn't gotten around to it, and when I saw that show this morning, I wondered if there were some simple starting ideas out there. I'm going to check out hgtv's website to see what they've got.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just google "altered books". You can find a lot of info out there. There is also a couple of good books that you can find at Michaels - they are kind of expensive but give detailed instructions.

Keep in mind that there is no set way to do this and that is the beauty of it. It will be your own interpretation. I always wanted to do one with a theme on my favorite quotations. One of these days I will get to it.

Have fun and post whatever you decide to come up with and do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #5  
mothermcbride

Quote:

Originally Posted by pryor208
I saw that this morning and also only caught the last bit of it. That's what set me off again. I had bought the book intending to use it for this, but hadn't gotten around to it, and when I saw that show this morning, I wondered if there were some simple starting ideas out there. I'm going to check out hgtv's website to see what they've got.
LOL, I wonder if we tuned in at the same time. Great minds think alike. I'd like to make one for each of my three goddaughters with little pockets for pictures, ticket stubs, etc. I just thought I'd cut out some pages, glue some together, make little folders of acid free paper to put the stuff in, etc. And, of course, I'd have to have some sort of pop up page now. I just have to get my butt in gear and get the books. I figure I'll have them done in time for NEXT Christmas.

Take care.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Ooh, quotations is a great idea. I really needed a theme to get going, and I'm always collecting quotes that I like. I almost always tear out those pages in Woman's Day or Family Circle that they have in each issue with a pages of quotes on a theme. And if I can find some that go with some of my stamps, I can really theme some layouts! That and I'm redoing my bedroom with some vintage touches, so I can put it all together that way! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I googled and found some really cool sites.

This one is kind of like SCS with members that post their work. I like Elaine Jackson's work in the members' gallery, cause she uses some Egyptian motifs.
http://www.alteredbookartists.com/

I'm thinking maybe trying to do some collage with pics and words from old magazines, too. I like this gallery, especially the clocks page.
http://www.littlebit.com/ab/altered01/index.htm

And I think this article explains why the idea of altered books appeals to me more than scrapbooking (so far I'm just into card-making).
http://www.azcentral.com/home/crafty...tyideas18.html

Thanks, for your help. I guess there's plenty of ideas out there on google, I just expected it to end up being more confusing to me when I'm just getting started.
Reply With Quote Likes