Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2004, 02:40 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which album is better for kids?

I'm going to be getting scrapbooks for all my nephews & neices for Christmas this year. They already get way too many toys. I'm going to give them the books with a few pages already made, then I'm going to tell them that we'll get together every few months to make new pages. They really love to do crafts and their parents never do it with them. Whenever I host any kind of party I always have a craft for them to do and that's their favorite part of the day.

Anyway, I cannot decide what kind and size albums to get for them. Do any of you have any opinions please? There is one girl, close to 7, and the rest are boys ages 12, 6, 4, and 6 months (of course I'll be making his pages!!).

I considered the ring binder albums but thought maybe I don't want them removing the pages themselves, plus I like the look better of the post-bound.
Then I can't decide on the designs, linen, or leather. And would 12x12 or 8.5x11 be a better size? :?

Thanks so much for your help!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 03:09 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a friend who got her daughter an 8 1/2 x 11 for the her first book. First of all it was cheaper than the larger album. Plus she made sure it was the kind you can load the finished layout right into the page protector pages. (I hope that makes sense :? ) That way if a layout got messed up it was no big deal. She just made a new one and put it in the album. Also if a set of pictures was forgotten or found later on, they were still able to put them in the album in the right order by just moving the layouts around. Hope this helps!

If I can't be a good example -- then I'll just have to be a horrible warning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 03:40 AM   #3  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my neice a 6x6 and we did teh same thing-worked little by little on it. The 6x6 size was good for her (8yo) and made choices easy when it came to the layout.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 04:32 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

If the parents don't do crafts with them, I would just get them started on the 12 x 12 album (I love the Love without End album for my daughter!). That way they have the memories there and it gives you so much more to work with. Yes, the cost is a little more, but it will be worth it in the long run. I love the post albums b/c the 2 page spreads lay next to each other, unlike ring albums where there are a few inches between the pages.

My daughter absolutely loves to look at the albums - she would do it nonstop if I let her!

What a great idea to do this with your nephew and niece! They will love it - and the parents will be so grateful that you are helping preserve the memories!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 04:42 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I ordered the Love Without End 12x12 album for my 2 year old daughter, it just arrived the other day. I guess I should probably get the same ones for the other kids (a different pattern for the boys though!!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 04:45 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

The 8.5 x 11 size is my favorite for kids. Class photos, outstanding school papers and award certificates slip right into the pages. It's a size kids are comfortable seeing and filling up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 04:53 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This is just personal preference.

Your nieces and nephews will be showing these off to friends, family, and probably take to school and show off there. I'd go with 8.5 x 11 so it fits easily in to a backpack.

And postbound, like you said, so they (and their friends) don't take the pages out.

Great gift idea!

Cindy Lyles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 05:13 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My girls are 8 & 10 & they love their 12x12 albums!
It is sad, I also don't craft with them very often, my stamping area is only big enough for one at a time & it seems to time consuming to get the stuff all out! I signed my kids up for basic scrapping with a CM consultant & it was money well spent, they really think before they stick stuff down now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 05:30 AM   #9  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know our LSS has kids/teems crop times where they can be dropped off, and eat/crop with others. Thereis a fee, but it is very low (like $10 and that includes the food).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 01:23 PM   #10  

What a great idea! I may have to do this for my niece for Christmas! She's in that in between stage where she's too old for toys but not old enough for teen-age stuff!

Thanks for sharing your great idea!

dawn

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 01:42 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

My 8yo niece has been scrapping for 18 mo. I bought her a 12x12 Love without End scrapbook for Christmas last year. She had been going to a lss and taking classes. That was the size they were using. Definitely go with post bound for kids. Otherwise, they take the pages out and they can get lost. jmho. Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I think this is a great idea for a gift, too! I gave one to my niece that just graduated from high school, but hadn't thought yet of younger kids! My 10 year old daughter started with 8 1/2 by 11 and moved to 7 X 7 (the second one being Creative Memories). I think either of these type of sizes is good, the 12 X 12 is hard for kids to carry around and they will want to show them to their friends and classmates! My daughter will probably go back to the 8 1/2 X 11 size once she is finished with her 7 X 7 one. My 13 year old neice also has used both of these sizes very successfully. Good luck and thanks for the great gift suggestion!

Oh, I think you should stay with the easy care covers, something that spills and sticky things wipe off of easy! Get the fancier fabrics like linen and leather when they are much older, like in college! Just my 2 cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 03:55 PM   #13  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

my DD uses the 12x12 she just likes it cause she can put a lot of different things on her page. Usually puts at least 3 pics on and then some decorations and embelishments of some sort.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 04:15 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

My pref. would be 6x6. But thats just me.
Kids like to take things with them and unless the albums are staying at your house I would do something more portable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2004, 07:52 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for all the replies! You all are so great!

I'm leaning toward he 12x12 but still haven't decided. The advice about them being able to take the books with them is great, but we won't have to worry about that as my brother is not going to let them take it out of the house. Well, maybe only to bring it to MY house! He doesn't let them take things to school for fear of them loosing it.

I think I will go with the SU Designer post albums. Love Without End for the girls, and the Groovy Lines & By Design for the boys. Those last 2 don't have anything girly about them do they? It's hard to tell in the photo. Will a boy like those two choices?

sorry for any typos. I just finished a workshop and I'm really tired. My asthma has really been bothering me a lot these past few weeks. I'm just exhausted from it.

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes