Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 483 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Advice painting wooden items.

I have 2 paint projects I want to do, but I've never painted and have not idea what to do.

1. I've got 12 old Dutch wooden shoes I want to paint to use as decor on my patio. Obviously, it's outside, but it is mostly shaded because the patio is under the deck. Some will be decor only, some I'll use for planters.

2. I purchased an old croquet set in a white metal stand. It's pretty grimy, I'll need to clean them before I paint, I'm sure. Don't know how to get started. I don't want to repaint the traditional red/blue/green/yellow. Instead, I want to paint them bright, citrus colors...hot pink, turquoise, red, lime, orange and who knows....I need a 6th color but it will come to me.

Do you have any advice?

We are all one child spinning through Mother Sky. (Shawnee proverb)

My little blog: http://mypaperantics.blogspot.com/

My Webshots albums:http://community.webshots.com/user/stampinusa[/url]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing here about your specific projects, but I have worked with a wonderful paint store with super knowledgeable people who want my projects to be a success and have given me fabulous advise.  If you have such a place near you, they're worth their weight in gold!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
gobarb26 (10-12-2022)
Old 07-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

If there is old paint already on the wood you are going to need to sand it off and wipe the dust off before you start painting.

The shoes will probably need sealed for sure when you are done painting.

I am thinking depending on the size of them it might be a good idea to say use a slightly smaller plastic pot container inside the well of the wooden shoe. Because, you need to water the plants and I am also assuming if you just fill the shoes up with soil and plants they will fall apart fairly quickly with watering them. You may need to drill some drain holes into the bottom of the wood too.

I am assuming its a wood set the croquet, so, I am thinking you will need to sand off all the old paint first, and then add primer then paint if you are going to do it with brushes or you could spray paint them. and if the set is not going to be stored indoors when not in use you are maybe going to want to add some sealer over the top of the colors too.

(it might keep the paint from chipping and flaking off with all the whacking usage for a while too?)

you are going to want to do this outdoors I am also thinking to keep you from breathing in all the old paint dust ( if its very old it could possibly be lead based paint on it already if its older than 1970 ish) and the new paint fumes.

wear old clothes. :mrgreen:

I tend to have an old rag that I just get wet and wring out when I am painting nearby because, if you end up using paints that will clean up with water you can wipe off a mistake if you act quickly ( like say a paint drips and runs)

if you use oil based paints that need chemicals to clean your brushes after that is a whole 'nother ball game and I also tend to buy water based paints for projects because, its just less chemicals to breathe in.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

If the items don't have flaking/chipping/peeling paint, you may not need to sand all the old paint off, just rough them up a bit so there is some "tooth" for the new paint to adhere to. Washing them with TSP does the same thing. A good primer will make the paint job more even and last longer. When I have painted wood products in the past (mostly furniture) I just used satin-finish paint like you would use for walls and trim. If you prefer higher gloss, then semi gloss or gloss would work well, too. Since you won't need that much for what you have in mind, you could even get those sample jars that they mix for you to test out the color. Another option would be spray paint. Even acrylic paint in the 2-oz jars of the craft department would work if followed by a sealer. In fact, there are some designed for outdoor use (the labels will say so). 

In any case, Stacy's advice on an inner container for the shoes and possibly needing drain holes drilled is good advice to consider. Alternately, you could waterproof the inside of the shoes (but would still probably need the drainage holes). Anything that will be used outdoors would benefit from being sealed with polyurethane - either brushed on or sprayed. The water-based paints (latex) are so improved over the old-school paints that you would probably be fine not bothering with oil-based, which requires more cleanup and fuss. Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2020, 06:03 AM   #5  
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Received 663 Likes on 544 Posts

Here is a thought for you....My MIL's cousin use to refinish furniture/antiques. To get the paint and clear coat off she used oven cleaner spray. She put down newspaper outside, put the furniture on it and spray good. Come back 20-30 minutes...spray down with water from the hose! If it needs another coat of oven spray...She did it then. Let it dry real good. Sand the wood after it's dry. I did this first step with a pair of old wooden shoes. I had a set of twins in class one year. The family was from Holland. I said I wanted to find a pair of wooden shoes to paint tulips on them. The end of the year, they gave me a pair of old wooden shoes she had in her garden that had been her father's. She said she had quite a few pairs. I never did finish them. I should pull those out and finish them!

Good luck on your project! Show pictures when you are done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice

I used to work in a locally owned crafts store, so here’s my advice.

As others have said, for the mallets you’ll want to sand off or strip old paint, especially if it has flaked. If stripping paint, do so in a well-ventilated space such as outdoors.

Skip the oil paints and use craft acrylics. There are a number of brands (eg: Americana, Folk Art, Delta Ceramcoat) that come in 2-oz bottles and hundreds of colors. For outdoor use, I recommend Patio Paints or Delta Ceramcoat Select (a multi-surface paint). I think the Patio Paint brand has a primer, but you only need that if painting over a darker color.

Use a sealer. There are brush on and spray types. You’ll want to use any sprays in a well-ventilated area. Outdoors is best, but a garage with doors open will also do. Do NOT spray anything indoors, not even in your basement. I would also suggest sealing outdoor items annually.

If you’re going to use something wooden for a planter, you’ll want to seal it to protect it from rot. You’ll also need drainage holes. I would also recommend a layer of rocks or glass marbles under the dirt to help with drainage and prevent root rot. Inserting a can or small planter inside the wooden item is also a good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Suggest reading Golden Acrylics page on Support Induced Discoloration. It lets you know about types of paints and their supports (wood panel, canvas, etc.).

Golden Artist Colors, Inc.

Robin

Last edited by robbinbobbin; 11-19-2023 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzyS1104
View Post

I said I wanted to find a pair of wooden shoes to paint tulips on them. The end of the year, they gave me a pair of old wooden shoes she had in her garden that had been her father's. She said she had quite a few pairs. I never did finish them. I should pull those out and finish them!

Good luck on your project! Show pictures when you are done!

You SHOULD pull them out. They are such a fun decorating element. That's a clever bit of info, I may give it a try.

I have a connection with Holland, having friends that are almost closer than family, who came here after WW2. I visited The Netherlands and Bruges, Belgium, last year.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by WordTrix
View Post

I used to work in a locally owned crafts store, so here’s my advice.

Thank you so much for this excellent, concise advise. I will follow your instructions and hope for the best. A painter I am not! Stamper, decorator, gardener, yes...painter. Nope!

I sure do miss the old crafts boutiques that were so popular in the 80's and 90's. Almost all of my most treasured home decor and bits & pieces have come from those shops. Wichita used to have Christmas in July, a giant annual craft show, it would take 2 days to complete the rounds. My primitive snowman collection all came from there. Let's say we resurrect those old shows!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbinbobbin
View Post

Suggest reading Golden Acrylics page on Support Induced Discoloration. It lets you know about types of paints and their supports (wood panel, canvas, etc.).

Golden Artist Colors, Inc.

Robin

Thank you for that information, I will definitely check it out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Originally Posted by gregzgurl
View Post
Since you won't need that much for what you have in mind, you could even get those sample jars that they mix for you to test out the color.

Alternately, you could waterproof the inside of the shoes (but would still probably need the drainage holes). Anything that will be used outdoors would benefit from being sealed with polyurethane - either brushed on or sprayed.  Good luck!

Thank you for the ideas.  Waterproofing the inside is definitely a good idea.  Hens & chicks are the most popular plants for wooden shoe gardening, but I'd like to have a geranium, a petunia, maybe some dichondra hanging down.  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2020, 08:24 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn
View Post

If there is old paint already on the wood you are going to need to sand it off and wipe the dust off before you start painting.

The shoes will probably need sealed for sure when you are done painting.

Thank you for your excellent advice. I'll definitely be following it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2022, 04:32 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am subbing this. I was JUST thinking this am about painting the wood handle to a new garden tool. Serendipity!

I was thinking about also using some floral stickers (I know I would have to seal it) and am wondering if any sticker users like particular brands for durability?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

You should be careful with the croquet set. Lots of old paints have lead in them.
Reply With Quote Likes