Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others, I am combining traditional with pocket scrapbooking, when I make the time to do it. With a busy family and work life, some days that is definitely tough! I love the photo books and digital scrapbook pages I have seen, and appreciate all the creativity that goes into them. Having said that, I do love paper, so I think I will stick to that for now.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 12:33 AM   #42  
Cardstock Collector

I paper scrapbook all the time! Well actually I don't do it at home, but go to crop weekend about once a month, once every other month & scrap myself crazy! I love it. So therapeutic & get a lot of photos into books too!

Nothing like the feel & smell (yes I smell it!!!) of fresh CS & paper.

And I am a stamper too & love to buy new stamp sets too & stamp on my layouts!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still a traditional scrapbooker! But I will admit that I do pocket scrapbooking for our most recent vacations. I found those easier for our trips, especially beach vacations where there's not exactly a lot of story telling to be done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2015, 05:36 AM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Paper for life here! I have always enjoyed the act of scrapping, handling papers, the tactile side of it. I am at a glowing screen all day for work, paper crafting is a nice change of pace for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I am still a paper scrap booker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #46  
Cardstock Collector

I do a bit of both depending on my time constraints and what I am in the mood for. Sometimes I am in the mood to create, but not in the mood or don't have the time to pull all my stuff out so I like digi scrapping for that. I feel like I am being productive and creative even though I'm not in my craft room.

Other times I am in the mood to be creative in a tactile way - actually handling the papers, embellishments, etc. so that is when I do paper scrapbooking or card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No digital scrapbooking in my future. Been a couple years since I did any scrapbooking, but I'm just about ready to get back to it. And when I do, it'll be paper, scissors and glue time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2015, 12:34 AM   #48  
Cardstock Collector

I actually enjoy doing both. There is definitely an appeal for a hands on project, but I find that I have so many digital images and it would be too expensive to print them all. Not to mention that my family is so spread out all over the globe that digital scrapbooking is the only way that I can share it with everyone. Doing a digital layout can be just as creative and rewarding too as the tactile approach.

But I don't think I will ever give up actual paper scrap booking. They both have their advantages and appeals. And I love to have physical scrap books on my coffee table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

I much prefer paper scrapbooking. You can not really scrapbook a napkin, yeah you can take a photo but it's not tactile. You've probably heard artists and authors tell you that the work tells you where it wants to go. Well that's what happens as I walk around doing other things and having quick, sometimes odd angled view of the page-in-progress. Also, I like hearing guests comments and suggestions - sometimes they see things you haven't.
Also, sharing with others is harder with digital - yeah, you can make it available to others on line but again ... some of my best moments with children and grandchildren came when they pulled a scrapbook off the shelf and said tell me about it Grandma. -
I have come to the conclusion about many "instant" gadgets that the old way was just as good or better.
Viva la paperscrapbooking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

i have printed out many books, i have a very nice printer and a book binding system or i have sent them out. i have done exactly two paper scrapbooks and they cost a small fortune. i have done a book for each kid using paper or in my sons case paper bags, with 21 quotes about things i want them to know on their 21st birthdays. i work two jobs. right now i am a collector of stamping and art supplies and now time to get down there and use them. but i can do digital in the middle of the night when menopause and hot flashes keep sleep at bay. i love my paper but i make a lot and i mean a lot of mistakes so it becomes an investment. i love it all! i have asked friends to go to stamp camps or whatever and they will say "oh i can't afford another hobby." really? that's a thing? i guess when their cable bills are over $250 a month, that is going to be their hobby. though sometimes i think i should focus but then i change my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey ScrappyGirl32 and everyone else! I print outline digis, either from a digi stamp company or coloring pages in what ever size(s) I need on 65# Neenah Bright White cardstock from Office Depot. The paper cost $.50 a sheet - (xl 920 black HP ink is reasonably priced - especially if on sale) and can get from 4 to 10 on a page. Then I have the fun of coloring and cutting them. Coloring medium can be any thing form cheap crayons to expensive metallic oils. The I use my too large stock of other papers for the background of cards or scrapbook pages. Wola! the best of 2 worlds - any way it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a paper scrapbooker. I struggle with just managing my photos on the computer. Trying to scrapbook that way would make me pull my hair out!

Besides, I love the whole process of scrapbooking. I do a lot of writing on my pages, and most of it is hand-written; I just prefer that to typing and printing unless it's quite long and detailed. I've spent two evenings this week organizing some old albums - inserting pages where they belong, and I love looking back through them.

For me, the only downside is the SPACE my albums take up. I have over 20 12x12 albums and 4 or 5 smaller ones. Thankfully I've given some away or I'd have NO room, LOL! When my kids have homes of their own, their scrapbooks will go with them, so that will help, but who knows when that will be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

I first tried scrapbooking almost 20 years ago when it was just Creative Memories and included tons of stickers, markers, construction paper and decorative scissors. I sucked at it, and even back then thought it was too expensive. I quit attending the gatherings because of the pressure to buy stickers, place orders, etc, and because my marriage was falling apart.

Ten years later I gave it another try, and eventually hooked up with a group of women to attend an annual scrapbooking retreat. I had great fun! But I always felt my pages were lacking. I have sons, so I did not get into all the pretty flowers and tons of ribbon. I mostly liked my pages to be layers of DSP and cardstock, a few photos, a title and maybe a few sentences about the event, person, etc.

About the time I stopped scrapbooking (for personal reasons that have nothing to do with crafting or my craft friends) the trend was to pile on the flowers and ribbon so thick that you'd need a 3" deep keepsake frame to display it. It was so over the top that the photos were no longer the main focal point.

Now that I'm crafting again I'm looking forward to finishing my boys albums (they are 28 & 36, so it's time to get those baby pictures scrapped!). And I'm not going to worry about trends. I want to make pages that will fit into an album that they'll be proud to show their future children and grandchildren--or pets, since grandbabies may not be in my future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 06:10 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

SkyBlueSky I too lost interest as the supply industry became so predictable. Also, I was questioning the value of scrapbooks.
Those of us who make cards for family, shut-ins, those in hard times whether physical, emotional or financial find the making to be prayer and very rewarding. So, I doubt if card making ever really goes out of style.
I have made "mini" scrapbooks for fiends and family. A daughter recently told me that it doesn't matter if my work is "in the style of the " because many recipients do not know or care about that. She also said that I should scrapbook for myself, that she has always liked the one I did "just for me" better than the ones I did for posterity.
Artist (and we are) should do what they feel the urge to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBethView Post
A daughter recently told me that it doesn't matter if my work is "in the style of the " because many recipients do not know or care about that. She also said that I should scrapbook for myself, that she has always liked the one I did "just for me" better than the ones I did for posterity.
Artist (and we are) should do what they feel the urge to do.
I completely agree wit this sentiment. When I do have the time to scrapbook I make pages that I like with supplies that I have and enjoy. I don't care if they are outdated or not. I want my photos to be the focus and add some personal touch to embellish the pages that enhances the photos/theme and not over power and steal away the focus.

I scrapbook for me, not for the current trend. And every mini album or framed page that I have made as a gift was well received. Especially because those I made them for do not scrapbook themselves and couldn't care less about the current trends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

Speaking of doing your own work -- I do not own embossing or die cut machines. I love to "fancy cut" being doing it age appropriately since about 5. You can get an embossed effect with paper and found items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

Frankly, I don't want either. I make great cards, scrapbook pages and other paper items without them. Also, I am in a small apartment and don't know where I'd put them. Thanks for reminding me about the RAK swaps, I'll take a look at them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

I love my tools. I do not think I am a stellar artist. I need all the help I can get. If I like a "trend" I buy it. Everybody has their thing. I do not get the handbag obsession. I use one until it's dead, but I wear $25 mascara. I wear target brand jeans and use suave shampoo but if I want a craft supply or tool I will buy it. We all have our things, our indulgences and then we have things we just don't care about that much. Next purchase? The misti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #59  
Inking Addict

I don't do just a whole lot of scrapbooking- don't have the pictures and the lot to put in- but my friends and I recently made a scrapbook full of recipes for one of our friends who's gonna be leaving town for a year. We all made several pages each with whatever recipes we wanted to put in- definitely a keepsake cookbook! We mostly used just whatever we had in our stashes...just got together and shared all our stuff. Lots of cardstock and DP, gems, brads, ribbon, die cuts with my Cricut, a few boughten flowers... A few of us either make cards or scrapbook, so we had quite an assortment! Was definitely a fun thing to do together, and it'll be something special for her while she's gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, we could all do without a lot of the things we have, and go back to using scissors... and crayons... and construction paper. We could also get rid of our vehicles and go back to the horse and buggy days for that matter.

Everybody has their priorities. If you want to do something badly enough, you make time to do it. If you want to purchase something badly enough, you find a way to get it. Someone may start out following trends, but eventually they will find their own way and figure out the parts they like or don't. Frankly, I don't need a voice from anywhere giving me advice I didn't ask for. Or one trying to save me from myself. Unless you're footing the bill for my hobby, you have no right to offer an opinion, radical or otherwise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

I love the Project Life format for scrapbooking......however, I do a full 12x12 regular scrapbook page now and then. I scrapbook for my 6 grandchildren ......so this way of scrapbooking is much quicker and you can still embellish the pages too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

I started out scrappin' digi. LOVED all I had to do was click and the clean up was done! I was determined not to get caught up in the craze of scrapbooking and Stamping.

Fast forward a few years, and after loosing most of my digi-scrapping kits to corrupted data, I started playing with paper. I made my own mini albums with dies. LOVED that I could create something personal for a gift.

I have only recently begun 12X12 scrapping with paper. Because of the CRAZE of the scrappin world, it has taken some time to find my own way, but that is part of the journey and the fun.

I buy paper I love usually on close out or sale, and use it. No one knows or will know it was K & Company or G-45 or whatever, they will only see a layout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #63  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottageBlissView Post
I buy paper I love usually on close out or sale, and use it. No one knows or will know it was K & Company or G-45 or whatever, they will only see a layout.
Years ago, some of my scrapbooking friends were so into the new and trendy that they could spot paper and know its brand and its age. It made me a bit self-conscious about using discontinued paper at the time, but not at all now.

My scrapbook pages are for ME and MY FAMILY. And if I love an old, outdated paper or cheap DCWV (Old World stack) then I use it and to heck with the paper snobs! One day, their completed pages will have discontinued, outdated paper on them, so why worry about always having the newest release?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
to heck with the paper snobs! One day, their completed pages will have discontinued, outdated paper on them, so why worry about always having the newest release?
I totally agree!! And next year ANOTHER NEW line will be out and so on....

And those aren't the people I make pages or projects for...like you, I make them for ME and anyone who loves us enough to browse the pages or projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a paper scrapper as well. I make digital stamps, but that is just so I can print them out and color them!! I tried digital scrapping, but I am way to tactile.
I want to hold it.
Make it lumpy bumpy.
Get glue on my fingers.
Be all inky!

It's been awhile since I dug into my supplies, but I am getting back to it. I used to be one of those people who could spot a paper or a scrapper and know who or what it was. Now I'm probably using retro supplies and techniques, but I'm okay with that. It's my one true "hobby" love. That's all that matters

Rhoda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Year ago I bought some scrapbooking supplies veered off into cardmaking. Liked buying some more paper scrapbooking supplies again. I was browsing some of the online shops which I had not browsed in a long time and see places like 2peasinabucket is gone and some others also closed. What is up with that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2016, 07:49 AM   #67  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 632 Likes on 443 Posts

I still use paper and still enjoy it! I have friends over every 1-2 months for a crop. A few of us scrap, a few of us make cards and a few do both. I love preserving memories for my kids. I have been working to finish books and get back to it. I want to increase my journaling-I did a lot in my old books and like looking back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

I still do paper scrapbooking. I've done a couple of digital layouts and digital books from Shutterfly. They have their place for certain things, but I love my paper. And I have a ton of stuff so why not use it? I paid for it all!

I don't do 12x12 traditional scrapbooking though. I used to. I now do pocket scrapbooking. I don't do Project Life because I don't care about the every day details of my life. I take plenty of photos on our sight seeing trips and our pets. Pocket scrapbooking works really well for this. And I can get an entire album filled at a weekend retreat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #69  
Matboard Maniac

I don't do digital scrapbooking, nor do I have any desire to start. I paper scrapbook, but I find that I'm moody about doing it, if that makes any sense. I like to scrap the photos soon after they are taken. I find that when I'm working with old photos I get depressed searching through them, after a couple of hours of it, especially if the people or pets in the photos are deceased. Scrapbooks are trips down memory lane for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #70  
Cardstock Collector

Still love my paper scrapbooks! Partly because I'm in front of a computer way too much during the day, partly because I like the tactile and partly because I have way, way, way too much stuff not to keep going down this path...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #71  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a paper scrapper too with lots of paper, ink, etc. I'd like to learn digi, but just haven't had the mojo to do it. NJSharon and I cropped together until I moved away.

mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #72  
Compulsive Stamper

Still scrapbook with paper here. I have tried digital and didn't like it. I like playing with the paper and different elements with my hands!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #73  
Kookie Creator

I am a paper scrapper. I haven't tried project life but may to add to my regular pages when I have lots of photos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #74  
Hardware Hotshot

I still paper scrapbook. I took a break for awhile, but have started back up this year. I love sifting through my papers and embellishments and piecing together everything. I also do the scrapbooking challenges on here and that really helps get my creative thoughts going! I have also done shutterfly photobooks if I want it done quickly and then I take my time on the paper versions. My daughter LOVES to look through all the paper ones and so do I.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #75  
Rubber Obsessor

As I've said before I like to feel things so prefer paper scrapbooking. I have gathered acres of paper during the years, so much that I had no idea what I had. How to get what I knew I would never use with out feeling guilty about "wasting it" -- there are many groups that work with children that are delighted to get that paper. Group ranging from schools, to scouts, to churches, to zoo camps! There are some in every community - "seek and ye shall find"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #76  
Matboard Maniac

Paper scrapper because I LOVE pretty paper. I have a great fondness for Susan Branch art and most any florals and botanicals. I also make cards for my loved ones.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #77  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My Mom (age 89) passed away this January. Her sister (age 92) was very sad afterwards.
So as as a Happy Surprise for my Aunt I made her a 6" x 6" scrapbook filled with pictures of her with my Mom . Starting from when they were ages 2 & 4 . And ending in a recent picture of them. I added "Sister(s) embellishments to it. I also added an extra page in the back listing who was in the photos, relationship, and ages if I knew. The book was a big hit with my aunt and family. They really liked the extra "List " page too..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #78  
Glitter Queen

paper scrapper 100%.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #79  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts
Thumbs up

One of my card class customers is a very long-time scrapper. She started when Creative Memories was getting popular. She has gradually moved more to digi-scrapping. But her 14-year old? She is a great paper scrapper!

And, the paper scrapping bug is biting me as well. I've done a few digi pages, but that was in order to learn/sell the MDS software formerly offered by SU. I prefer to use what I can offer, and that is card stock, designer papers, etc. And really ... after having bought some Disney kits for scrapping the Grands' trip ... this is a different "fun" factor! LOL Not stealing my heart over completely in any way ... but it's happily intriguing now. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes