Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are some thing you can do with left over cards from x-mas time.

I don't mean stamped cards from scs girls .I mean cards that are printed off a press.I would like to do something with them but not really sure what.do you keep them and use them for other uses or do you just chuck them.

I really would like some fun and creative ideas on how to reuse them for other things.any suggestions.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62
I don't mean stamped cards from scs girls .I mean cards that are printed off a press.I would like to do something with them but not really sure what.do you keep them and use them for other uses or do you just chuck them.

I really would like some fun and creative ideas on how to reuse them for other things.any suggestions.
Sometimes I cut or punch parts of the card to make handmades ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsidawn
Sometimes I cut or punch parts of the card to make handmades ones.
That is exactly what I was thinking you could do with the store bought ones.
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.� Eleanor Roosevelt

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #4  
KLF
Kookie Creator

I cut out the front or cut or punch a portion of the front (sometimes mounting it on cardstock) and use them for gift tags. I always save cards till the next year to help in writing my list, then I cut up the ones that will make nice tags. My crafty mother taught me this years before we had ever heard of rubber stamping.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Check with local charity groups. When my Dad was in the VA around Christmastime, he was gifted a box with candies and small items like a tissue pack. The box was the fronts of old cards sewn together with yarn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLF
I cut out the front or cut or punch a portion of the front (sometimes mounting it on cardstock) and use them for gift tags. I always save cards till the next year to help in writing my list, then I cut up the ones that will make nice tags. My crafty mother taught me this years before we had ever heard of rubber stamping.
Karen
great idea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I used to know how to make those cards into little gift boxes! You would cut the card in half at the seam and the front of the card would end up being the top of the box, and of course the other part would be the bottom. But I preferred to make a fresh bottom, as you would end up seeing the greeting and people's writing inside! I'm going to have to find that template....I haven't done that since the late 80's!!
I remember drawing an "x" from one corner to another on each piece, but after that I'm not sure....make a few cuts and glue some flaps...???

If I remember the rest, I'll let you know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by joanned72
I used to know how to make those cards into little gift boxes! You would cut the card in half at the seam and the front of the card would end up being the top of the box, and of course the other part would be the bottom. But I preferred to make a fresh bottom, as you would end up seeing the greeting and people's writing inside! I'm going to have to find that template....I haven't done that since the late 80's!!
I remember drawing an "x" from one corner to another on each piece, but after that I'm not sure....make a few cuts and glue some flaps...???

If I remember the rest, I'll let you know!
my mom did that last year... she made the box then gave them back to the person who gave her the card (from work at least)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #9  
Failed Lurker

I save them for a year, use the suitable ones to make into gift tags and recycle the rest. Not very exciting, but it's a system that's worked for many years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

I make tags, tags, and more tags-some scrapbook embellishements. I also frame them for holiday decoration. I have also made tree ornaments with them. I have made them into boxes as stated in the previous post-but I can't remember exactly how it's done because it's been a long time since making the boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

I have made boxes out of them in the past.

I am sure that this is not what you were thinking of but I have a friend this year that put them through her paper shredder and used it for "shred" in clear gift bags that had votive holders with red candles. It was inexpensive and VERY cute with all the Christmas colots
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

All my life, we've saved them and used them to decorate next year's Christmas presents. Either used them as tags or just put the whole card front on the front of the box cuz it was so pretty. Parents growing up in the Depression really stress that frugality, lol....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

If they are blank you could always donate them to nursing homes. A lot of the patients there don't have money, but would like to give Christmas cards of their own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 10:42 PM   #14  
Failed Lurker

I have a vague memory coming back to me from my childhood. I think people used to cut them into circles then fold/bend three edges out to leave a triangle. The edges were stapled them together, quilting-style, to make a sphere, which was then hung on the tree. Does this ring any bells with anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 11:04 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Ornaments

I did a few of these when my children were small (a long, long time ago). Had to search the internet because my memory failed to come up with the pattern. Oh yeah..... it's only a circle and a triangle... really hard to remember! LOL!
Christmas Card Ornaments

One other idea is to cut out really little (2.5" or 3") Christmas Stockings from the cards. Then hang them on a "clothesline" with those teensy clothespins that they sell at the dollar store.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by awspoede
If they are blank you could always donate them to nursing homes. A lot of the patients there don't have money, but would like to give Christmas cards of their own.
As a former Activity Director; we always loved these donations! We would use the cards for crafts or to decorate bulliten boards or resident rooms.

I use them for gift tags... I also save my VERY favorites in a big box. Someday they will be retro! and I am a total hoarder.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Somewhere I saw where someone used them on scrapbook pages, I think it was eith quilt or collage style. At the time I thought it was a great idea. Should have bookmarked it!
I too use them to make tags.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:06 AM   #18  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
I did a few of these when my children were small (a long, long time ago). Had to search the internet because my memory failed to come up with the pattern. Oh yeah..... it's only a circle and a triangle... really hard to remember! LOL!
Christmas Card Ornaments
That's them! Wow! They really bring back memories!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:09 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've framed some of the cuter/most beautiful ones and put them out as decorations the next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Re reusing received Christmas cards. I scan the ones that have good scenes on the front and save the scan as a Background for digital scrapbooking. Also sometimes print a digitally made Christmas card on a 4" x 6" photo paper, back it with cardstock, and stamp with a postcard stamp and mail as my Christmas card. If you're a proud grandma, add pictures of your grandchildren to a saved scene and then send this card back to the friend who sent it to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 12:15 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you remember/find the box directions, I'd love them (again). I remember doing this too, and til I read your note, had forgotten about them. thanks,
Cindy (casmiles - [email protected])
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is a website with instructions for folding paper boxes out of greeting cards (or other paper):

http://www.kid-at-art.com/htdoc/lesson16.html

I just used these instructions over Thanksgiving with my niece, who made about a dozen of the boxes! They were easy to make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Is this what you are looking for? What a great idea!

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/recycli...card-box.shtml

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Default Reusing Christmas Cards

I pick out suitable cards or parts of Christmas cards to use and create holiday "thank you" cards. With a little creativity, they can be really cute...you can combine stamping and all kinds of embellishments. I use up my odds and ends envelopes and cut the card stock to fit the envelopes I have. I also use some for gift tags. Sometimes just adding a little glitter is all they need. A great opportunity to use up the little scraps of ribbon, even cut up the greeting on the card and use all or appropriate parts. You'll be surprised what you get with a little thought. Thanks for all the ideas...Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

I've made ornaments with my 1st and 2nd graders....Use a paper cutter to cut the cards into strips, then put the strips in a pile. Use a hole punch to put a hole at both ends of the pile (make sure that the hole is in the same spot on all of the strips) Put a brad in each of the holes, then fan out the strips so it makes a sphere. They look really pretty when you use cards with a lot of glitter or gold. Give it a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

I read somewhere about a lady who saved her Christmas cards in a basket. Each morning, she would pull one out of the basket and the people who sent it would be top of her prayer list for the day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Commerical cards are always being sought in October by various craft groups. I worked in an Alzhiemer Day program that made good use of them every year. Brownie or Girl Guide (scout) packs can always use of them as can day cares and kindergarten teachers. A local nursing home cuts them into 2.5" circles and makes (quilted looking) place mats with them, then laminates or covers them with clear sticky plastic shelf paper. They do the same for resident's birthdays out of birthday old cards as well - often their own from previous years with family wishes included.

The small boxes are great to use all year round using old birthday, mother's, father day or valentine cards. Little girls love them! Love to get them, love to make them, love to give them. Even if it's full of Smarties or cinninmon hearts. (and why not little boys too?)

We also have a "freecycle" e-mail list where such items can be offered and people are willing to pick them up at your home.

When I was a child, (no TV, ninetendo, computer games) my mum used to give me a sheet of styrofoam about 12" x 12", a handful of toothpicks, glue or tape and the left overs from the year before's cards after she's made tags. It was my job to make a winter scene or village out of the rest. Christmas trees were the forest. One year she gave me a very small piece of foil for a skating rink. Just cut out the tree or snowman and glue (tape worked best) a toothpick on the back, leaving enough to poke into the styrofoam to stand up. I remember re-arranging the scene on a daily basis. I also learned quickly that you do not use "this year's" cards, not matter how much you NEED the deer or rabbits for your forest friends!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I have used Christmas (and birthday)Cards to make quick decorative gift bags. Just trim the card front to fit the blank bag. Tape or glue it one and you have an easy present. I made about 30 of these recently to use as centerpieces for a Christmas party. I have even used those handled bags you get from some speciality shops. Just use a card large enough to cover the business name and you have a free gift bag. Spoons and Spice bags are great for Christmas since they are green.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

We used old eye glass lenses, cut out the scene or part of card that fit behind it, glued with a clear drying glue to the inside of lens. Let it dry overnight, painted back with gold and edged the rim....hot glued on a pin backing and had a very unique pin! Fun to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I made a Mosaic Christmas card scrapbook page by using a square punch to cut out the parts of the cards I liked and glued them to a 12X12 page.
See my pic in my gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLF
Karen
SAME HERE!! Are you sure we don't have the same mother? Just Kidding!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here's a link with several ideas:

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/gre.../a/122600a.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

And here's yet another link:

http://www.makingfriends.com/readers_cards.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I have a vague memory coming back to me from my childhood. I think people used to cut them into circles then fold/bend three edges out to leave a triangle. The edges were stapled them together, quilting-style, to make a sphere, which was then hung on the tree. Does this ring any bells with anyone?
This sounds like a great Christmas break craft for the kids to do! How many cards did it usually take? Can you remember?
Another fun idea I've done with my dd is to cut the cards into strips and use them as bookmarks for the year. We got a fun inexpensive little laminating machine and we laminated our favorites. We also made some Christmas gift tags for eachother and then laminated them to use each year over and over again. It's been fun seeing a craft our dd made in 3rd grade each year at Christmas.

Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpuss
This sounds familiar! Except, instead of stapling them, we'd punch holes with a paper punch and string yarn through the holes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollylogic
I read somewhere about a lady who saved her Christmas cards in a basket. Each morning, she would pull one out of the basket and the people who sent it would be top of her prayer list for the day.

That is such a nice thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #37  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by galoosh
This sounds like a great Christmas break craft for the kids to do! How many cards did it usually take? Can you remember?
Can't remember anything, sorry - I think it was something the adults did! But GarnetJ has a link in post no. 15!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 10:58 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

The issue before this current one of Somerset Studio has a lovely article about an artist who uses coil bound journal pages and does a collage for each of the cards she receives. She tries to keep in mind the sender for her style inspiration. Nice altered/collage style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Location: Somewhere in MN, trying to find all the lost flip flops....

I am always looking for activities for my preschoolers at home...this year in a moment of inspiration (and maybe desperation) I cut up last year's Christmas card fronts into puzzles. I mixed them altogether in a pile. Then he had to put them together and glue them on a really big sheet of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a kindergarten teacher, I LOVE the puzzle idea! I reuse the fronts of my own favorite cards as gift ornaments for my students' parents. Remember the "fences" that can be made out of Popcicle/craft sticks? My students use 8 flat sticks to make a "fence", with 1 more flat stick across the top and bottom. Turn over and glue a favorite design on the face of the "fence". Then another flat stick goes across the top and bottom to form a picture frame. Put the child's name, the year, school, etc, and use a gold, silver, or colored cord as a hanger. I have ornaments like this from the last 12 years or so--parents tell me theirs are family favorites!
Reply With Quote Likes