Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcolemon
As a kindergarten teacher, I LOVE the puzzle idea! I reuse the fronts of my own favorite cards as gift ornaments for my students' parents. Remember the "fences" that can be made out of Popcicle/craft sticks? My students use 8 flat sticks to make a "fence", with 1 more flat stick across the top and bottom. Turn over and glue a favorite design on the face of the "fence". Then another flat stick goes across the top and bottom to form a picture frame. Put the child's name, the year, school, etc, and use a gold, silver, or colored cord as a hanger. I have ornaments like this from the last 12 years or so--parents tell me theirs are family favorites!
that's a great idea!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

The puzzle idea got me thinking about all the new die cut machines everyone, almost everyone:rolleyes: , is getting. How about running the card fronts through say letters(large) or puzzle pieces, frames, etc. Could make collages, use on scrapbook pages for the holiday, thank you cards, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 06:36 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by marciad
The puzzle idea got me thinking about all the new die cut machines everyone, almost everyone:rolleyes: , is getting. How about running the card fronts through say letters(large) or puzzle pieces, frames, etc. Could make collages, use on scrapbook pages for the holiday, thank you cards, etc.
What an inspiration! I have a Scizzix with a tag die that would work perfect! Thanks for the idea Marcaid!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 06:41 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

Speaking of puzzles...how about those fun puzzle blocks. A set of four blocks, each with a piece of the card on one side. Match the sides to complete the puzzle. You have four sides for four of your favorite cards. This is a project I'm going to try. It will be a great coffee table decoration and game.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Recycling Greeting Cards

As a child we used to make placemats by cutting a oval shape out of white contact paper, cut round circles from the cards and then place them on the white contact paper facing upwards. The final step is taking a clear contact paper that is also oval shaped and cover the cards.

Another Christmas Idea that I did about 5 years ago....I had a large picture window in my living room. I took black electrical tape and made small panes and then cut out pictures from cards in all different shapes and put ribbons on them to hang within everyother small window pane. Got me a blueribbon out of thatone. :-D It was time consuming though.

I have also used them to make new cards as well.

Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #46  
Compulsive Stamper

I have cut letters out of my old cards to spell out "Merry Christmas". I used horizontal cards instead of vertical ones (it took a couple years of cards to get enough) so I could hang the letters on a thin garland 'rope'. You can hang this in a door way, mantel, or other furniture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #47  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62
I don't mean stamped cards from scs girls .I mean cards that are printed off a press.I would like to do something with them but not really sure what.do you keep them and use them for other uses or do you just chuck them.

I really would like some fun and creative ideas on how to reuse them for other things.any suggestions.
I've had this BEAUTIFUL book for a number of years . . . I think it's out of print now :( , but I cannot bear to part with it, due to the gorgeous project ideas they feature in it:

Creative Crafting With Recycled Greeting Cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 05:44 PM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62
I don't mean stamped cards from scs girls .I mean cards that are printed off a press.I would like to do something with them but not really sure what.do you keep them and use them for other uses or do you just chuck them.

I really would like some fun and creative ideas on how to reuse them for other things.any suggestions.
WELL I KEEP MINE IN A BOX IN MY SCRAPIN ROOM SO WHEN I MAKE NEXT YEARS CARD I CUT THEM UP AND USE THEM TO MAKE NEW X-MAS CARDS U KNOW. I ALSO BUY THE ONES THAT GO ON SELL AFTER X-MAS TO USE TO. THE IMAGES ON THEM CAN BE REUSED LIKE CUT THE FRONT OFF AND PUT IT ON A NEW CARD AND YOU HAVE A NEW CARD. I ALSO KEEP ALL MY GREETING CARDS MY FAMILY GETS. IF NOT TO CUT UP BUT TO LOOK AT FOR IDEAS. ALL OF MY HANDMADE CARDS GETS FRAMED IN A BIG FRAME TO HANG ON MY WALL. THEY ARE TO PRETTY TO HIDE AWAY OR CUT UP. THEY GIVE GREAT ISPIRATION. WELL I HOPE THAT HELPS. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

How about making bookmarks or if you do ATC, use some of the images for Christmas ATCs. Might even save some of these projects for gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

As a teacher, I love to use the pictures on the cards as writing prompts in my learning centers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #51  
Inking Addict

I just read about using them to create a scrapbook page of that years Christmas. Using the front and matting that, matting the inside verse, and also using the signature w/picture of that person or family, add embellishments and you have a nice page. You could incorporate your Christmas opening of gifts, dinner, Church activities, etc. This could become a yearly family album that would be quick and easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #52  
Gabfest Goddess

There was a TLC (Technique Lover's Challenge) a week or so ago using any pieces of old Christmas cards in a design of a new card. i.e. cut out a particularly interesting piece from an old card and incorporate it into your new handmade/stamped card.
I'll try to find that challenge again and submit it here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #53  
PAPER SCAPER

That was the Card Sketches that did the challenge using greeting cards, here's the link:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #54  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for clearing that up, no wonder I couldn't go back and find it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up

I'm loving some of these ideas!

*blessings!*

~Cris

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

Subscribing...GREAT ideas! :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

wow, some cool ideas here, thanks for sharing everyone

MWBS
Mom to 2 girls...love being creative...in everything I do...
DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE......Walt Disney
I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Subscribing cuz you all are so clever!!TSM
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

I make tray favors with ladies in my local nursing home with recycled cards. I sometimes die cut them..baskets, flowers, frames, envelopes, etc. Then they will glue other pieces of cards that will go along with that theme. I have patterns for a cross and ribbon bookmark, cone angels, sm.3-D Christmas tree, lg. table top Christmas tree, "vase" or flower pot, basket or bowl and a Christmas slipper. We are given every type of card and i use them alot. I like to make CD magnets too, just cover a recycled CD with a card front. I sand around the edges then use a soft ink to take the white edge off. The ladies will embellish this with bows, holiday glue ons, stickers, stamped phrases, or other die cuts from cards. We stamp our mark along with a Bible verse on the back , with Stazon then glue a magnet strip with E6000. I will cut the cards into 1/2 inch strips or varing widths then they will cover a cut out shape with a heavy dose of glue stick. They apply these strips across the die cut to fill it completely. When dry I cut off the excess strips to reveal the Stocking shape or whatever. They will embellish these as before--they LOVE to glue! I made for my Christmas cards last year a star shape about 4"x5" a real folk art shape, out of lightweight cardboard. I cut strips of mainly gold colors of old cards, including words and pictures. I applied these to the star shape at a diagonal pattern to cover. I mounted Christmas postage stamps to the same cardboard the cut them out. I put clear dimentional over to give it depth. I put this on each one then a few gold charms, Christmas items or religous tokens. On back i stamped my greeting, signed and dated it. I put an eyelet thru the top and strung a gold cord for them to keep as an ornament. I made sure that this would fit into the size of envelope that I had before I cut the star shape. I hope this helps. You can email me for more [email protected] subject - recycled card ideas. I'd love to hear anymore ideas too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by awspoedeView Post
If they are blank you could always donate them to nursing homes. A lot of the patients there don't have money, but would like to give Christmas cards of their own.
Great idea. Another idea is to put a blank envelope with the card so the recipient doesn't have to buy one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

I actually take the photo cards and add them to a christmas album I have since I've been married. Every year I add the Xmas pictures I get. It's a dedicated album just for those pictures.
I take my sizzix tag die and die cut the images I like from the cards I get and use them as tags.
and my BIL actually bundles all his cards and ties them with a pretty ribbon and puts them in a basket. he has a bundle for every year he's had his house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #62  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm a fan of using the more scenic ones as mosiacs for scrapbook pages. Just cut them into even squares and glue away. They really end up being beautiful. Of course all the other ideas of tags and embellishments is great and I'll use those also. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

Of course, I love recycling the verses and greetings by cutting them out and matting them to give them more punch.

I don't have a Sizzix die or a Makin' Memories tagmaker, but I do occasionally buy the MM tags. They have a template which I plan to use as a guide with my recycled cards. Cut out the image, insert in the metal rim and run it through my Cuttlebug to seal.

Also, if you don't receive enough Christmas cards to satisfy you, check out the local thrift stores. They always have bags of donated, unused cards of all kinds.

Lots of great ideas here. Can't wait to try them.

TFS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

You can use them to make a decorative tray!

Get an unfinished wood tray from Michaels or your local craft store and then use matte mod podge and cut out the parts of the cards that are prettiest. Layer them on to the tray and up the sides.

Or you can paint the tray and then just put the cards in the bottom of the tray.

Lots of different ways to do it, but hopefully you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

If the cards or envelopes have gold, silver or any other pretty color, I like to save to use later on a project.

Here is a card I did for a Challenge recycling part of a card. I cut the Dove panel from the card to use.

Two Turtle Doves IC86 by Maxell at Splitcoaststampers
My Blog:A Flowery Hobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 02:56 AM   #66  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Many of my Christmas decorations are stored in plastic tubs, but a few are in cardboard boxes, so to make those boxes stand out (you know how it is when you are looking at several boxes and looking for one in particular) I took my Christmas card fronts and covered the box in them. It looks really pretty...a collage of sorts, of holiday themed images, and I can see that box easily in a stack of them.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 AM   #67  
Kookie Creator

just subbing...wow...great ideas............!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

I did the same with some of the beautiful sample cards that come with holiday card catalogs. I only use the front portion of the card for a box top, and then make a plain box bottom. They make cute boxes to use for gift cards or money. I also cut them up for gift tags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joanned72View Post
I used to know how to make those cards into little gift boxes! You would cut the card in half at the seam and the front of the card would end up being the top of the box, and of course the other part would be the bottom. But I preferred to make a fresh bottom, as you would end up seeing the greeting and people's writing inside! I'm going to have to find that template....I haven't done that since the late 80's!!
I remember drawing an "x" from one corner to another on each piece, but after that I'm not sure....make a few cuts and glue some flaps...???

If I remember the rest, I'll let you know!
Reply With Quote Likes