Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not Made in China

Supporting local businesses has always been a priority for me-lss, locally owed restaurants, companies that manufacture in the US because that is where I am and there is an environmental effect when things have to be shipped great distances. I am not adverse to buying products from companies based and manufactured in their home country, but I have a growing concern about products manufactured in China. I've been investigating what companies manufacture their cardstock and other products in the US. Does anyone know which companies do this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in buying American also. I have bought (intentionally and not) craft items that I knew were not made in America and then, after waiting an interminable amount of time for the items to be delivered, realized the items must be made in China (and the shipping label confirmed that). I realized that the Chinese steel dies are COPIES of ones made in America and resolved to avoid purchasing anything where the place of origin is questionable. I have avoided purchasing foods and toys (as much as I can) that originate in China bc of the very real possibility of contamination or substandard manufacturing. Covid 19 has settled this for me and I hope we get manufacturing back in USA where there are standards. I can only hope that American companies act responsibly.
Sorry, I can't answer your questions. I just wanted to let you know I understand your reasoning and resolve. If you can share any info you get, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I can tell you that pretty much every Sizzix die set I have has Made in China on them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2020, 05:51 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

I am increasingly interested as a consumer, in the manufacturing country of origin for any of my purchases. I accept that there is a premium cost (usually) for items made in the US. Like the OP, I'm ok with products from other countries, but I'm primarily trying to avoid purchasing goods made in China.

I recently spent several hours looking for a cat perch made in the US, or at least not in China. There is a company in Arizona, called New Cat Condos that manufactures locally. I purchased one and the quality is excellent.

Stampin Up manufactures their stamps, paper and ink in the US. I just noticed that the fine tip liquid glue has the made in the US label on it.

I agree it would be terrific if we could organize a list of crafting items made in the USA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought my SU demonstrator told me that the SU dies are now made in China. I just looked at my new dies and they do say made in China.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Yep, I'm sure a lot of crafts and everything else is made in China. However, we should try to let the craft companies we follow that origin of the country is important to us.
It's not the Chinese people I have a problem with; it's the Chinese Communist Party - their over-riding desire to rule the world by stealing Non-Chinese technology, ideas and products, therefore bankrupting American, Europe, other parts of Asia, Austrailia and Africa while providing us with substandard and dangerous products.
I have to admit that the few items I ordered that did come from China were well made (and cheap) but obvous knockoffs of ones made here, in America and Europe.
I can not in good conscience purchase them again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

For me, this started because I was looking for craft adhesive made in the US.

I just noticed the package of Thermoweb Zots in my drawer are made in the US.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2020, 03:35 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem is that we all want inexpensive, so that means the people making it are paid less so they can sell it for less. It's simple. Personally I'm happy to pay a little more to get it made here in the UK or in the USA, but not 2 or 3 times as much. It's a hard balance to get right.

Most of my craft items do say "Made in China" but they just aren't made anywhere else. So what do we do? :confused:
Old 05-11-2020, 06:20 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I prefer to buy with labeling "made in USA". But now a lot of things manufactured in China
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

That's why we need to insist on MADE IN AMERICA! If we demand it (enmass) the private industries will strive to meet our demands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I understand why people are angry with them..but we have a problem here with Chinese American citizens being spit on, beat up....you could have a top pediatric brain cancer surgeon walking down the block after saving 5 lives that day, in his regular clothes and gets beat up. (did not happen but it could) They are not happy with what China does...could be a big reason why they moved here. And since when did beating up people in one country affect what is done in another in this way?

I dont think they do things with the intent to hurt people. I think they just do things to make money w/o concern for others which is different. Reckless indifference. Not good but not the same.

Frankly-there is a LOT of moral bankruptcy going on right here in Corp America so we cant throw stones.

So dont buy from China. (shrug)

There are a lot of people who have complained about the high prices of product...so mfgs go where they get it made cheaper.

There are people who want US made and we have that too. I think what you want to do is start a thread asking for the names of companies that are made here that's all. Leave out the rest. ;)

There is something for everyone

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 05-13-2020 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: snippet from deleted post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"I say all this is so you can appreciate the slippery slope we all maneuver when we shop online. It's so tempting (and I've done it!) find something online for $1 when it's offered for $15 - $20 at our favorite craft stores/manufacturers/etc. But every dollar we send to, say, Amazon often goes to fill the coffer at a Chinese manufacturer. And that Chinese manufacturer has copied a design from an American crafter.
The CCP has weaned the creativeness out of their people so they can only copy. But if our craft designers and manufacturers go out of business, where will we get our crafts? China doesn't know how to design, create, innovate. They steal, copy, TAKE, and then they sell it cheap (bc they didn't' have to create it) and we buy it and then our craft designers go out of business."

Wait. No one held a gun to the craft companies CEOs' heads and said you MUST move manufacturing to China. I don't think American business is anyone's victim. American craft businesses moved manufacturing to China for one reason only: to increase their profits by not having to pay the wages they would have to pay here. Your blaming China is racially motivated and others have spoken to that here. On the subject of copying: China has no intellectual property laws. Why should the Chinese obey the laws of another country? If we want them to change their laws, we have to negotiate with them like every other country, 

[

Last edited by Louisa May; 05-13-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 05:03 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I belong to Spellbinders Small Die of the Month club, and their dies are "made in China". Ali Express sells a lot of 'knock off' dies, and I quit ordering from them... then noticed Spellbinders packaging. UGH.. (need to think that one out) ..
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 07:41 AM   #14  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

There's a very simple way to report a thread to moderators. Use the asterisk in the lower left hand corner of a post. That will bring up a box that you can type the reason you're reporting it. Hit submit. Continuing to post in a thread our moderators haven't seen yet does nothing. Alerting them with the report function is the only way to do that.

And to people who haven't read our site posting rules, and are violating them - you are risking a permanent ban with zero warning.

I will close this thread if people can't be civil and kind and have a polite discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampitisView Post
I thought my SU demonstrator told me that the SU dies are now made in China. I just looked at my new dies and they do say made in China.
They've always been made in China, because the previous dies were made by Sizzix in China.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
There's a very simple way to report a thread to moderators. Use the asterisk in the lower left hand corner of a post. That will bring up a box that you can type the reason you're reporting it. Hit submit. Continuing to post in a thread our moderators haven't seen yet does nothing. Alerting them with the report function is the only way to do that.

And to people who haven't read our site posting rules, and are violating them - you are risking a permanent ban with zero warning.

I will close this thread if people can't be civil and kind and have a polite discussion.
Also - this is no place for political/current event discussion. We have a forum for that. Stick to craft-related discussions in this forum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Thank you Lydia for removing it. I did look for a report button. Could you submit a request to Internet Brands for a report button. The asterisk is very hard to find or even see.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #18  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Thank you Lydia for removing it. I did look for a report button. Could you submit a request to Internet Brands for a report button. The asterisk is very hard to find or even see.
That is the report button

We can't change it - it's part of the forum software we use. Luckily, you don't have to use it too often .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have bought a few items from ********** and it is a crap shoot. It takes a long time to get most stuff and some of it has no Q & A applied. If you buy from a company in the US you will get only the best quality and they usually stand behind their product.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampitisView Post
yes, most companies that make dies (if not all) are made in China because the cost to make them here is too high.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Wasn't there one company that made them here in the US? I can't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure they were made here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2020, 11:21 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichellelovesscrapView Post
yes, most companies that make dies (if not all) are made in China because the cost to make them here is too high.
Most small, family owned US stamp companies have dies made in the US; some that I know of are: My Favorite Things, Avery Elle, Paper Smooches, Memory Box, Lawn Fawn, Pretty Pink Posh, Concord & 9th, WPlus9, Simon Says Stamps, Frantic Stamper, Impression-Obsession, and there are probably more but these are companies that I have purchased dies from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
Wasn't there one company that made them here in the US? I can't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure they were made here.
Dies Direct.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Dina, Dies Direct might be one, but this was a different company. I've been wracking my brain (hard thing to do when you're old and decrepit), and I think the name was Cheery Lynn or Linn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2020, 04:19 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Dies Direct is the manufacturer. They had a branded retail line called Cheery Lynn Designs. That has been absorbed into one of their new retail lines, Maker's Movement. They also have a branded line of fabric and quilting dies called Crafter's Edge.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Taylored Expressions and The Greetery are two more with both stamps and dies made in the US. TE ink is also US-made, and I think their paper might be, but I can't confirm. Hero Arts manufactures their wood stamps in-house, and their clear stamps, ink, and paper all made in the US. I believe their dies are from China.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Also made in the US - Memory Box, Poppystamps, and Penny Black
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
You may be thinking of Gina Marie. She was making her dies in the US until about four years ago, then switched to having them made in China to keep costs down for her customers. Some of her other products are still made in the US.

Reply With Quote Likes