Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-06-2017, 06:06 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things or styles you love but hardly use

For me it's patterned paper. The scrapbooker in me loves pretty paper, just can't fit it into my cardmaking. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm having fun still working on Christmas Cards. I'm trying to use some of those things I hadn't yet touched or touched very little. The one thing I can't seem to use though is the beautiful patterned paper. How about you, things you love but don't use? Also if you or anyone you know is good with pp if you give me links, I would so appreciate it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #2  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For me, it would be ribbon. Hardly have a shopping spree without buying some but it almost never ends up on a card. I think when my crafty space organization is further along it will be easier to use because it will be seen and reachable.

As for using pp, try one sheet wonder templates. The link below is one thread but a search will find many more results. I think it was also known as double-time stamping.

One Sheet Wonder aka OSW for 14 Cards! by vikkijo at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 07:21 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Check out Online Card Classes; they offer a specific class called "Pattern Play" which is all about working with patterned paper:

Pattern Play - Online Card Classes

I am currently taking one of their watercolor classes and am loving it.

With patterned paper, I love adding a small strip to my card front as an accent or a grounding element for my stamped image. I also add a matching strip to the inside of my card and to the envelope.

If you have colors that are too bright, you can tone them down by dry-brushing paint on them. Or cover them with vellum.

A style I love, but cannot pull off, is shabby chic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Washi Tape and have a lot of it. I have trouble using it on my cards though. I think it has to do with it being see through and that bothers me. I'm weird. LOL
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Ribbon and DP...I have piles of both...love them, hardly ever use them lol! but they are so pretty and lovely, and oh they feel so nice to the touch....you want me to cut them :eek: Half the problem is when I do take the plunge and use them I don't feel I do their 'loveliness' justice on my cards :rolleyes:

Last edited by jukie; 01-06-2017 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: I can't spell!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Check out Online Card Classes; they offer a specific class called "Pattern Play" which is all about working with patterned paper:

Pattern Play - Online Card Classes

I am currently taking one of their watercolor classes and am loving it.

With patterned paper, I love adding a small strip to my card front as an accent or a grounding element for my stamped image. I also add a matching strip to the inside of my card and to the envelope.

If you have colors that are too bright, you can tone them down by dry-brushing paint on them. Or cover them with vellum.

A style I love, but cannot pull off, is shabby chic.
Another option for colors that are too bright is brush a little white gesso on them for a soft or aged look - similar to your paint, really.

Ditto thumbs up for classes from Online Card Classes. I've taken a couple.

What don't I use but love? DSP and washi. But I have some ideas for the washi. (If you think it does it count?) And occasionally I use DSP for a card border. . . but then sometimes remove it and stick with colored cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 04:40 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still love ribbon but haven't used it for awhile!

I have twinkling H2O's and have never used them. I went to a card class and we had a tutorial using H2o's. They were so fun! Nope, still haven't used them. I've had them for 6 yrs.

I have some dies I love but rarely use like a cute, little envelope, some layered daisies, and one of those flip dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 04:44 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

For me, its definitely washi tape. I have loads of it. I love it! But don't know how to make it look cute on a card. I do use it on my envelopes though and people do comment how cute it is. So I continue to buy it. lol

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 05:03 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I was inspired by this thread and a Jennifer McGuire video where she placed narrow strips of scrap cardstock diagonally to make a striped block of color. I tried it last night with washi and aside from it being a little more difficult than paper to line up since washi is sticky and more delicate, it looked pretty neat.

I've given up trying to take decent photos, and when I've tried to load one here on the message board it won't let me - too large? - though I haven't had problems on another message board. So my apologies for no photo. But here's the video that inspired it:

Stripe Inlay + Caring Hearts GIVEAWAY - Jennifer McGuire Ink

It could be cut into any shape after sticking it down on cardstock. I'm going to try laminating a few pieces to give it more shine and durability too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

Steampunk and collage are both incredibly visually appealing to me, but I can't pull either off with my current skill levels. I'm hoping to play more this year and improve, though!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Things:
I had amassed quite a collection of ribbon. I kept a few spools of my favorites and within that small group made sure I had different colors represented. I saved two or three of the thicker ones for gift wrapping but the rest were boxed up and gifted to the groomer where we take our dogs. She and her staff always put bows on the females and bandanas on the males

Kept my favorite washi tapes, gave the rest to the art teacher at the elementary school. I've given her stacks of 12x12 patterned paper and sheets of stickers before. I think she loves people like me. Lol

Styles:
Collage, ain't happenin' in this lifetime apparently
True CAS, I keep trying but have only reached "meh" status

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

CAS is my hardest - see the cards, love them, and Poof - things get added and bye-bye CAS LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Patterned paper, ribbon, and some washi tape. I've seen great CAS designs with each, and yet when I make them, they aren't as appealing. Hmmm.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
For me, its definitely washi tape. I have loads of it. I love it! But don't know how to make it look cute on a card. I do use it on my envelopes though and people do comment how cute it is. So I continue to buy it. lol
I use it on my envelopes now too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another thumbs up for Online Card Classes. I've taken a few and have found them incredibly helpful. Pattern Play really helped me look at my DSP differently.

I love gelattos, but just can't get them to work. Someday...maybe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I was inspired by this thread and a Jennifer McGuire video where she placed narrow strips of scrap cardstock diagonally to make a striped block of color. I tried it last night with washi and aside from it being a little more difficult than paper to line up since washi is sticky and more delicate, it looked pretty neat.

I've given up trying to take decent photos, and when I've tried to load one here on the message board it won't let me - too large? - though I haven't had problems on another message board. So my apologies for no photo. But here's the video that inspired it:

Stripe Inlay + Caring Hearts GIVEAWAY - Jennifer McGuire Ink

It could be cut into any shape after sticking it down on cardstock. I'm going to try laminating a few pieces to give it more shine and durability too.
Thank you for sharing! This is an awesome way to use paper scraps too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Ribbon. I buy it, but rarely think to use it, unless I'm caseing a card that has ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought tons and tons of Martha Stewart and Doodlebug glitters because they looked so cute in their packaging and I had all these ideas I thought I would use them for... and I just never did. It's so much easier to use stickles and wink of stella products then deal with the mess of actual glitter. However I still can't part with them I also bought tons of buttons.... from all the different stamp companies... and I love them all, but can never find a way to make them work on a card. I also love love love the look of heat embossed sentiments and images, but can't get mine to look anything like how Jennifer McGuire's do - so clean and smooth - I always get those scattered dots and imperfect edges, so I get discouraged. (Even though I use an embossing buddy or dryer sheet!) But I do love it - I just don't use them :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
I bought tons and tons of Martha Stewart and Doodlebug glitters because they looked so cute in their packaging and I had all these ideas I thought I would use them for... and I just never did. It's so much easier to use stickles and wink of stella products then deal with the mess of actual glitter. However I still can't part with them I also bought tons of buttons.... from all the different stamp companies... and I love them all, but can never find a way to make them work on a card. I also love love love the look of heat embossed sentiments and images, but can't get mine to look anything like how Jennifer McGuire's do - so clean and smooth - I always get those scattered dots and imperfect edges, so I get discouraged. (Even though I use an embossing buddy or dryer sheet!) But I do love it - I just don't use them :(
Have you tried the EK Success powder tool? I tried the embossing buddy someone brought to a class and could not get as complete or smooth coverage as with the EK, though some like it very much. I hate to think of someone who loves embossing not getting wonderful results!

Jennifer McGuire demos it here:
My Favorite Crafty Things 2014: HEAT EMBOSSING + Discount Codes + Giveaways - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will definitely check that product out! I would love to be able to heat emboss and have it look presentable!!! Thank you for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The embossing powder has to do with it, too. I've had a nice, smooth look on thin sentiments with fine/detail embossing powder and a more chunky/broken look with regular EP. So, if you get a chance to get some detail EP, definitely try. WoW EP is in small jars, so it's nice and affordable - and they have detailed powders, too.

However, any EP with glitter is the bane of my existence. I can't get it to work right, no matter how hard I try. Either I overheat it and it does weird things or I don't heat it enough and the glitter falls off. I've all but given up on it.

--
But to answer the original question...
I am absolutely in love with the whole "layered, but CAS" look where a few small elements are cluttered together, but the card isn't too busy (Kay Miller has some awesome cards that look like this). I just can't get them clusters to look perfect like she does...
I keep trying, though! I'll get it with enough practice, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Couldn't agree more about the embossing powder making a difference. And I never use black, just use Versafine black ink for sentiments and clear embossing powder. I also have a paint brush with a tiny tip handy to brush away a grain or three. I think Jennifer demos both in the video, but haven't watched it in a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Patterned paper, ribbon, and some washi tape. I've seen great CAS designs with each, and yet when I make them, they aren't as appealing. Hmmm.
I know the feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I use it on my envelopes now too!
How do you use it - to seal the envelope, or add strips of it as decoration? I need some ideas, have a lot of washi tape ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
But to answer the original question...
I am absolutely in love with the whole "layered, but CAS" look where a few small elements are cluttered together, but the card isn't too busy (Kay Miller has some awesome cards that look like this). I just can't get them clusters to look perfect like she does...
I keep trying, though! I'll get it with enough practice, I'm sure.
I love her cards - let's keep trying! I love it when a "cluster card" comes together...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Watercolor with stencils

I luv the look of watercolors and i have attempted to use them with stencils with little success. But, after watching this video this morning, I'm inspired to give it another try using this technique...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

That's terrific, Bohodiva, thank you! I don't have Inktense blocks/pencils, but wonder how Gelatos would do. I was taught a technique where they're applied dry and then water is brushed on for blending. And once they are dry if you apply another color on top, they don't mix - they're permanent too.

Then again, a small set of Inktense blocks or pencils isn't expensive... : )

I love watercolor anything, and now sometimes use Clarity brushes with stencils for the softest look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I have and luv Gelatos too. I should try using them the same way... Is it Friday yet?
I want play in my happy place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Ack, I just bought some Inktense blocks from Ammy. Bohdiva the Enabler of the Moment. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Ack, I just bought some Inktense blocks from Ammy. Bohdiva the Enabler of the Moment. ;)
I'm guilty. Enjoy playing with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I'm guilty. Enjoy playing with them.
That's a pretty big smile for someone who knows she is guilty. ;) Thank you, and may Friday come sooner than you expect.
Reply With Quote Likes