Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Stamping on fabric

Please indulge me, but I have had no success in finding a thread that states the best ink for stamping on fabric.I cant recall if it was Stazon or Momento. I usually use versafine for my black ink.

I have scrolled through many posts but did not want to download the huge file with everything on it. Thanks much.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

If you read your Stazon packaging you'll find it says it's not recommended for fabric use. I contacted Tsukineo to ask why ages ago and they say it's because the solvent base of the ink may break down some fibers over time. So while it will work fine, if you're making a project that's intended to last it's best to avoid using Stazon.

I have no experience with Memento on fabric, I'm afraid.

My go-to ink for fabric stamping is Tsukineko's Versacraft. If you iron it once you've stamped it's permanent and will do fine in the laundry. It's a pigment ink that comes in a good range of colours and is available in the little cubes as well as the full size pads so it's possible to get a good range of colours without tying up a lot of cash or storage space!

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used Momento to stamp on paper napkins for a wedding and had no issues at all. However, if one Googles "stamping on fabric" the number one ink is Versacraft. Lots of info out there.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I always use my SU Craft ink, which is sadly discontinued. If you happen to own some or can borrow it, it is a fabulous fabric ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Palette inks are also permanent on fabric. Since it comes in so many colors, it gives you a nice option. I do run an iron over my fabric once I stamp it but I did white kitchen towels 2 years ago and they have survived the wash!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

These are great tips for those (like me) who are trying to make Christmas gifts. Thanks, all xxx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Stamping on fabric

Thank you all for your help. I was planning on stamping on some muslin bags for little gifts, so not concerned that they will have to be washed. Not sure if I would even heat set them, just make sure they are good and dry before working with them .As long as it dries in reasonable time I am happy.

Thanks again, the advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you are stamping on something that will be washed, it is a good idea to wash it first to get the sizing out of it. Then iron (to make flat), stamp, and iron again to heat set. We made "monogrammed" hankies for her grandpa last Christmas with SU craft inks and the hankies are still going strong after multiple washes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I would avoid Memento since it's water soluble. I would imagine it wouldn't survive the wash.

Definitely try Palette inks, they come in tons of colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Default stamping on fabric

Quote:

Originally Posted by karjorView Post
If you are stamping on something that will be washed, it is a good idea to wash it first to get the sizing out of it. Then iron (to make flat), stamp, and iron again to heat set. We made "monogrammed" hankies for her grandpa last Christmas with SU craft inks and the hankies are still going strong after multiple washes.
The muslin i was planning on using is part of my quilting stash, and I always washed my fabrics when I brought them home so no problem there.Sounds like the same steps used as when i did stenciling on fabric for small quilted items.Thanks for reminder .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Lightbulb Tsukineko All-Purpose Ink

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
Please indulge me, but I have had no success in finding a thread that states the best ink for stamping on fabric.I cant recall if it was Stazon or Momento. I usually use versafine for my black ink.

I have scrolled through many posts but did not want to download the huge file with everything on it. Thanks much.
I have been wondering the same thing and I saw that at an upcoming American Sewing Expo there is a seminar/workshop called "Creative Tsukineko Inks" where they use what I think is the "All-Purpose" Tsukineko inks on fabric. Here is part of the description: "Learn more than 20 techniques using
Tsukineko All Purpose Inks and Fabrico Pens including marbling, silk screening and stenciling to create your own fabric."

I'm planning to try stamping some cloth napkins I want to make by inking up a blank stamp pad with the ink and stamping the napkins with a poppy rubber stamp. I think it might work. I believe you have to heat set the ink for it to be permenant. I found you can buy the individual inks on amazon or some other stores. Otherwise they come in expensive sets.

I've just ordered the fabric but I have not got the ink yet. I will try to remember to post an update after I try it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Oooh yes please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnAlisonView Post
there is a seminar/workshop called "Creative Tsukineko Inks" where they use what I think is the "All-Purpose" Tsukineko inks
Interstingly, most of the colour names are the same as the Versacraft ones - I wonder how similar the inks are?! Let us know how you get on, won't you!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Stamping onFabric

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnAlisonView Post
I have been wondering the same thing and I saw that at an upcoming American Sewing Expo there is a seminar/workshop called "Creative Tsukineko Inks" where they use what I think is the "All-Purpose" Tsukineko inks on fabric. Here is part of the description: "Learn more than 20 techniques using
Tsukineko All Purpose Inks and Fabrico Pens including marbling, silk screening and stenciling to create your own fabric."

I'm planning to try stamping some cloth napkins I want to make by inking up a blank stamp pad with the ink and stamping the napkins with a poppy rubber stamp. I think it might work. I believe you have to heat set the ink for it to be permenant. I found you can buy the individual inks on amazon or some other stores. Otherwise they come in expensive sets.

I've just ordered the fabric but I have not got the ink yet. I will try to remember to post an update after I try it out.
Very interesting as I too attended a Quilt Expo in Phoenix last year, where they were stamping on napkins. However they were using Momento Ink at several of the booths. I did not ask any questions except to note the Brand of ink that they were ``all`` using and it seemed to be a popular demonstration at many of the booths.

Perhaps some other quilters could add thier experiences. I have only stenciled on muslin for quilting but have not stamped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

That is really interesting about the Quilt expo and the quilter's using Memento. I am going to have to look up some techniques. Thank you for sharing.

I knew VersaCraft was always popular with quilter's.

I am following along on this thread. I am thinking of doing an art quilt this Winter.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I bought the ink, but now I'm waiting on the fabric to arrive. They were marbling fabric with it (All-Purpose Tsukineko inks) at the booth. It looked like good ink, I can't wait to try it. The demo guy said you heat set it with an iron.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Last night I stumbled on a site that showed how to stamp on muslin bags And once again they stamped with regular Memento black ink, they coloured in with copic. She said she put a Piece of paper in the bag in Case of Any bleeding and found that not to be the case. I think I would try the memento on a scrap piece of muslin, not a big investment only a little time....nothing ventures nothing gained

Last edited by canada goose; 09-29-2012 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I haven't read all the replies so some of this may be repetitive ...but here is a link to a thread I started a while back..maybe something in there can help too!

Ink for fabric ?? by Inkin One at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes