Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embellishments on Containers for Children?

I have been asked by a friend to come up with ideas for Halloween treats for her children's class. Her daughter is about four 1/2, five years old.

My idea was to make the Stampin Up! Milk Cartons. I have the Michaels Recollections glitter tape for Halloween, and I know that's not a problem; but I want to put the matching 3d glitter embellishments on a few, and I didn't know if that was dangerous -- what the odds would be that the kids would rip them off and try to eat them?

I don't have children yet, so forgive my ignorance for asking. I've attached a picture of one of them. They are flat on the back, 3d, sparkly. I attached a picture below of an example one. I also have them in ghosts, candy, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Embellishments on Containers for Children?-il_570xn.271660636.jpg  

Have a super sparkly day!
My Gallery
My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I think they'll be ok (imo)

I have a three year old and a 6 year old and am a teacher (high school), so that's the extent of my qualifications to answer your question. In my experience with my own children and their friends, usually by 4-5 years old, they're done with the putting things in the mouth. My only concern would be that they don't look like candy. I tend to be pretty laid pack, however.

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I'd be inclined to use the same "rules" as commcercial stuff - not sure what that would be in the US but here in the UK it means that something carries a warning that it's not suitable for children under three years old if there are elements that could pose a choking hazard. Children of around five are generally past the phase where everything goes into their mouths. If they do try chomping on something not meant for eating they most likely have both the sense and the muscle control to spit it out.

If the kids are involved in making the projects I'd probably take those out of the packaging and put them alongside the glitter tape rolls just to take away the suggestion of them looking like candy. If you are making the projects and the kids will just get the finished cartons then I'd just make sure the embellishments are well stuck down (but I'd do that for any embellishment, not just these).

Children of that age generally love glittery things on projects so I'd run with it. Have fun!

(I'm not a mom but I have experience with friends' kids and helping to run craft sessions in schools with children between five and eight years old)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a mother of 5 grown children, with 16 grandchildren, and I am NOT laid back about the choking issue!. Please be cautious about this. Children older than the accepted age of 3 STILL put things in their mouths and choke on them.

Especially small embellishments in bright colors that look like they would be good to eat.

All children are different in their behavior with this. I have known 2 year olds that never put much in their mouth besides food or their fingers. Then there are children much older, 4, 5 or even 6, who still have to be watched carefully!

One of my grandkids couldn't be trusted at age 6. He couldn't resist putting something like a penny or a button in his mouth. Children this age know the object isn't something to eat, but they seem to like the feel of it in their mouth. I know there are other children like my grandson out there.

This is a soapbox issue for me because one of my daughter's friends tragically choked to death in her front yard, with her parents standing nearby. She was 7 years old, chewing bubblegum, and running and laughing with 2 other little girls.

Making something look "cute" isn't worth the chance it could cause a child to choke on it. I personally would not use the sparkley embellishments you showed for that age children. They really do look like they would be good to eat, and you said some of them even look like candy.

I would use the glitter tape, and maybe stamped layered paper with ribbons or something like that.

This article from Consumer Reports is worth reading by all mothers of small children, and grandmothers, too:

Choking deaths are alarmingly high, new study says

Apparently, age three is not the magical year when choking stops being a risk to children. Even though toys with small parts carry a warning that they are "not for children under 3," a recent study shows that the average age of children who die from choking incidents is 4.6 years. In fact, 25 percent of the products involved in choking deaths passed the toy-labeling criteria set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Choking deaths are alarmingly high, new study says

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I guess the best rule of thumb here is...if in doubt, leave it out. I'm pretty laid back about the issue, myself. But, if you have concerns, I would say go to your friend and ask, or maybe the teacher?

My best advice for this age group would be to keep whatever you make SIMPLE! I have made treat bags/containers for my kids classes for many years now. No matter how pretty they are, they all end up in the same place....the trash!

It's not that they don't appreciate the cute container, they really do love them....but it won't stop them from ripping them open and promptly tossing them to the side when they have the candy out of them, lol!

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have children but have worked with many ages 18 mon-14 yrs. I would say don't use the glitter balls, they are not etable nor are they a play toy. The young age group would not appreciate the project anyway since they would probably see it as just paper with the glitter balls.

I would suggest making them a pumpkin pin that can stick to their shirt with double stick tape with heating embossing on it or loose glitter with glue. Also print their name on them.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes