Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ever Thought of Just Chucking It?

Lately I've been considering the idea of just getting rid of all of my stamping/scrapbooking supplies. I'm tired of the mess and chaos that all of the supplies create. I've downsized multiple times to try and get it under control and yet there still always seems to be too much stuff. And I just don't use it very often any more. I started as a scrapbooker but I now haven't scrapbooked in probably 2+ years. I still do an occasional card. I've been published multiple times. So it isn't that I'm not good...it's just that my creative mojo has got up and left. It's like I can't come up with anything original. And there is so much crap everywhere. Oh...and I'm also in the midst of divorce and as such have been decluttering and not feeling overly creative any ways. But I'm afraid if I got rid of too much (or all of it) that I'd regret it later. Thoughts?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well you saved the divorce for last, but gee no wonder you have no creative mojo.

To answer more directly, yes several times. I too have de cluttered in a major way and still have too much. I worry that, with limited time to stamp, the stuff I have will get dated before I can use it.

That said, I suspect that most of us are going to say, don't throw it away. Stop buying anything and pack it up or set it aside or whatever you need to do to forget about stamping for awhile. The stuff is just too darn expensive to walk away when you are in a down place. Give it six months and then see. You may learn that stamping is a refuge!

Now I do know 2 former stampers who walked away -- literally -- from stamping. In both cases they told me that they left stamping and took up exercise in a serious way and lost and kept off significant amounts of weight. They are quite happy.

So I say, wait and see!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you will regret it later if you get rid of too much. To me it's very relaxing to make cards, scrap, etc. It takes my mind off my troubles for a while. Maybe that's just what you need! I'm sorry you are going through such a tough time. Keep the faith.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(((((HUGS))))) to you!!! It may be with such a major life change the mojo has gone for a while.
When we moved last year I donated a bunch of stuff I hadn't used, thought about in a long time or didn't see myself using again. Since then I have gone through things a couple of other times, sold, donated or thrown out. It might make you feel better to get rid of some things but keep some of your favorites and see if your mojo comes back after things have settled for you.
Good luck!!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Major lifechanging situations sap your energy---I would imagine divorce leaves you with nothing extra to go on, especially while your in the midst. Do pack up the stamping/scrapbooking supplies and put it away. If you're decluttering, that will give you a 'clean slate' to look at and feel like you've accomplished something major. Later on, when your outlook may be totally different, you can 'revisit' your boxes and see if you want to jump back in. I hope things will even out for you! Best of everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

A couple of times during the past 12 years I've wanted to sell, give away, throw away my stamping suuplies. I have wayyyy too much schtuff ;o(
I don't stamp everyday although my fervent wish is to do so. Life has a habit of getting in the way as you know.
So, I de-clutter alot. Most I donate to a Kid's Art Day program in the city - which I used to devote alot of volunteer hours too. And I sell quite abit at an annual LSS sale.
Give some away...donate to church groups, senior day care (they LOVE it), kids programs. It will make you feel so good and refreshed.
Pack some materials etc away and open after your divorce and you're settled.
Bless you Jane. Chin up.
Hugsssssss
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I agreee with Joan. Pack up your stuff and just see how you feel in six months or so. You have way to much on your plate to way about stamping or scrapbooking right now.
Best Wishes.
jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

I say hold on to it, pack it up, as Joan said it is to expensive. I started stamping because of a divorce I got really ill a year ago, did not stamp for 6 months, felt the same way as you, I was going to get rid of everything, but I went over to a friends house who is a stamper and we had so much fun creating, that it put the spark back into me .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I was an avid decorative painter years ago, had a pretty steady stream of customers from my Ebay shop, started designing my own painting patterns, but before I could go any further with it, my husband walked out on me and our two kids and all my mojo went right with him.
It took a while, but eventually I started stamping, and that's pretty much replaced the painting hobby. I still miss it though, and wish I could've continued doing what I was doing.
Divorce is very traumatic, it saps energy, creativity and motivation. But don't worry, it will come back. If not for stamping, then another hobby. If you just can't look at the supplies without feeling guilty for not using them, just pack them away for a while. You can make your ultimate decision later on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

When my Dad passed away; everyone told my Mom not to make any major decisions for at least year. Like others have mentioned, "major" life events of a difficult nature just sap your energy and "mojo" so it's no time to make big decisions.

I agree with those that say pack it up and save it for later. While packing you could weed out things like scraps you've been hoarding, or papers that you bought so long ago you can't remember why you liked them....or stamp sets that have never been used much and donate these things to a school, senior center or the like.

It is too expensive to just toss it all right now and like another poster mentioned you may find it a nice refuge to turn to once the divorce is over and you have settled somewhere. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I agree with the others...pack it up, declutter while doing so, and give it some time. If after a few months, you still feel the same way, then you can walk away from it.

So sorry you're going through a difficult time. (((hugs)))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I started stamping and very shortly after that, I broke both my legs and was wheelchair bound for six months. Stamps keep me from losing my mind! Every day I had a purpose. That said...I recovered, went back to work, and I left my stamps behind. I really didn't touch them for at least a full year,more like a year and a half. Just recently, I have enjoyed stamping again and love LOVE my free time to sit down with pandora radio and a piece of cardstock. I say..put it away or even sell some of it..but not all of it! I have become so happy I still had the things I loved when I wanted to pick it back up again. That year I wasn't stamping I really considered giving it ALL away without a look behind. When I found myself feeling creative again, I was happy I had my favorite stamp sets, my cuttlebug, paper, and stamp pads to ease my way back in. A lot went away to others who enjoyed using my "got to haves" that I never used...but I am so happy I hanged on to my basics. My prayers go with you...you are in the mist of such ying and yang...I can understand having to clear your mind and heart. I suggest...sell or give away what you "second guessed" when you bought it..but keep your basics for when or if you want to just stamp one card some day. Peace and prayers to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

You certainly are going through a tough time in your life. I had some troubles a few years back, closed the door of my craft room and didn't walk back in for literally over a year. I thought several times of chucking it all but didn't. I am back these days and feeling good. I agree with the other posters, this is not the best time to make big decisions. Pack it up, close the door and don't think about it for awhile. See how you feel, maybe you will come back, maybe you won't but at least you won't regret getting rid of it all. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I am so sorry for you having to go through a divorce but understand from having been there that it can completely steal your mojo.
I gave a wad of stuff away in the middle of my divorce and some of it I regretted. Some of it I didn't. I donated alot to good causes and it made me feel happy to do it. But I'm glad I kept most of the things I loved because I did get back into it again and was glad I hadn't cleaned house completely.
All the best and good luck on your divorce.
I'd say pack it up for awhile so it isn't there mocking you and making you feel guilty and then see what happens over the next 6-12 months. You may find a new hobby and if you do you can clear house and not worry about that you've made a mistake. Or you may find your stamping mojo comes back and you'll be glad to have your old friends there to stamp with.
Best gift a friend ever gave me while I was getting divorce was little mini paper bags she had made out of craft paper and pinking scissors to put over dumb dumb's head (ex-DH) because I could not handle scapbooking knowing that he was there and just didn't have the energy to redo all those pages. The paper bags fit his litte pin hed perfectly and now when I see those pages I enjoy my artwork (it was primarily a scrapbook of London England) but I laugh at the paper bags and think hahaha the jokes on him. Maye some paper bags would help you out. PM me your address if you need some. I'd be happy to pass on the favour she did for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I still struggle with my "creative mojo" so I know what you mean, but hang in there. I know it's rough now, however life is always changing, and trust me it will continue to change for you, I speak from experience.... I've lost a number of close family members, my son, sister and my husband (from whom I was separated at the time). Seven people in eight years; so if you don't think that will zap your mojo, think again!!! I still struggle to create, I still buy, thinking it will stimulate me, yet from help I know patience is what it takes and it will come back. Be gentle with yourself, and what others have said is true, let it go for a while and come back to it. You'll be surprised at how your joy will be there again one day. If you get rid of it all, you'll be sorry you threw all that money out the window and during these economic times, you may regret it.... Don't make that hasty decision yet, give yourself time to grieve the marriage loss and decide if the new you wants the hobby.
Best of luck to you in your new journey........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Well you saved the divorce for last, but gee no wonder you have no creative mojo.

To answer more directly, yes several times. I too have de cluttered in a major way and still have too much. I worry that, with limited time to stamp, the stuff I have will get dated before I can use it.

That said, I suspect that most of us are going to say, don't throw it away. Stop buying anything and pack it up or set it aside or whatever you need to do to forget about stamping for awhile. The stuff is just too darn expensive to walk away when you are in a down place. Give it six months and then see. You may learn that stamping is a refuge!

Now I do know 2 former stampers who walked away -- literally -- from stamping. In both cases they told me that they left stamping and took up exercise in a serious way and lost and kept off significant amounts of weight. They are quite happy.
So I say, wait and see!
CRUD!! Is this what it is going to take for me to lose weight???!! :rolleyes:

Like everyone else...mojo comes and goes....but sometimes, you need to walk away and take a break. Take time for yourself now, and see if stamping calls again to you in a few months. If not, enjoy a new found hobby. If so, you can pick up where you left off.
Best wishes to you.
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopersmaView Post
Lately I've been considering the idea of just getting rid of all of my stamping/scrapbooking supplies. I'm tired of the mess and chaos that all of the supplies create. I've downsized multiple times to try and get it under control and yet there still always seems to be too much stuff. And I just don't use it very often any more. I started as a scrapbooker but I now haven't scrapbooked in probably 2+ years. I still do an occasional card. I've been published multiple times. So it isn't that I'm not good...it's just that my creative mojo has got up and left. It's like I can't come up with anything original. And there is so much crap everywhere. Oh...and I'm also in the midst of divorce and as such have been decluttering and not feeling overly creative any ways. But I'm afraid if I got rid of too much (or all of it) that I'd regret it later. Thoughts?
I can only imagine the emotional trauma and exhaustion that comes from a divorce. I'm so sorry. *hug*

Several friends of mine have gone through divorce, and I think it is much like suffering a loss . . . I may be off base, and if so, pay me no mind.

When your spirit is going through a grieving process, it is hard to feel enthusiasm and joy over anything . . . you need time to heal and recover. When that time comes, your creativity will resurface. Maybe it will be for stamping or maybe it will be something else altogether.

Are you suffering from depression? That can also affect things greatly. I suffer from clinical depression (hereditary), and just from my own experience, I would urge you, if you haven't yet, to consult your physician. For me, diagnosis and the proper medication has made a world of difference.

But, as Joan said and others suggested, you might pack it all up and put it away for a while. It'll be there if and when you decide you're ready to get back into something crafty. And, if not, you can sell it all off, and use the money to treat yourself to something totally different, that makes your heart happy.

*more hugs*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

A few times I have because there's so much stuff out there and it gets overwhelming sometimes. I decluttered quite a bit and got some self-discipline in that area of my life.

A divorce will zap you of emotional everything and it hurts. The pain, grieving, and all of the other feelings that come with a divorce. You don't know if you're coming or going.

If you don't feel like creating, then don't create. BUT, you can also use this as an outlet of expression too. Maybe you can declutter a little bit and set the rest aside for a while like everybody else has suggested. I don't know how old you are or if there are kids involved, if you wanted this divorce or what, how long you were married, etc. I don't want to get too nosy but that does play into a lot.

And in coming up with anything original, that's tough in and of itself because it seems like everything has been done and you can only skin a cat so many ways.

I read your blog about getting your new dream bedroom set and that's a new start for you and I'm happy for you that during this time something good is happening for you and something that is a dream of yours.

I hostess a HOPE challenge here the first Friday of every month that's in my signature and I started it for selfish reasons in a sense. I own a Christian website and before any judgment is passed, my own divorce will be final on April 26. I'm looking forward to a new beginning. After 23 years of hell and abuse, I walked finally, and I should have walked a long time ago. Frankly, I never should have married him because I did it out of pride. Either way, he was putting my kids in horrible positions, especially my son. What made me snap finally was something that he had done to me right after Thanksgiving. I prayed about filing for 3 months and did so in February. I'm at peace with it and my kids are happy. My creative mojo got better after he left because the awful tension and stress in the house went right out with him.

You may be grieving now through the divorce process but I grieved my entire marriage and I'm all grieved out. I am sorry for hijacking this and turning it into me, but what I'm trying to say is that this is a new and good beginning for you. You're starting with your bedroom set and the creativity may be just a little dormant right now but bring that back to life too.

Have you ever thought of going to Divorce Care? I know that helped me an awful lot work through some stuff and I actually started attending before I filed for divorce. Get a good support system. Julie talked about getting a medical evaluation for depression and I would do that if I were you. It's a good idea. You're going through a lot right now and you need to take care of you. One gal mentioned about taking up exercise. I did that too and it's a great stress buster and you look great at the same time! It's also adult contact if you don't work outside of the home, which I recently had to start doing again last week.

I wish you all the best and I'm sorry for rambling. You can e-mail me or PM me at any time. I have big shoulders and ears to listen because I know what you're going through.

Many hugs to you.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just wanted to add my 2 cents and echo Joan again - I went through divorce in '99. My first purchase was my own bedroom set - it was very liberating. I spent the first 6 months or so, refinding myself, my hobbies, my likes. So much of my life had been what he liked and wanted - it took time before I wanted to do any of the hobbies I had done while we were together. I wanted everything new and different. I just packed up my hobby stuff and put it in my storage closet of my apartment. Within a year, I was glad that I had it to use again.

So, I'd say, pack it up if you don't want to use it right now. Put it away and don't worry about it at all. Follow your dreams - take care of you - and post pone any major decisions.

Good luck to you - We're here if you need us. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #20  

I hear you Dawnmarie on the house stuff. I think it' a good fresh start. I've rearranged furniture, painted rooms, changed pictures around, all of that kind of stuff to make the house my own. The best part about it is that I'm not getting any grief for it!

The OP has a lot of support here because too many of us have gone through this and there's some great ideas I'm benefiting from as well. You guys are great.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Since the same thing keeps being repeated, I won't continue that but to say I agree with the others....keep it.

I don't believe any of the stamping tools and supplies goes out of style. So in a year from now or 5 years from now, it will still be the tools and supplies you need and want.

I am not a "Jack of all Trades", I concentrate in paper crafting and counted cross stitch, so even though my tools and supplies are many, they are all related and not all kinds of different stuff.

As in life with anything, don't make snap decisions.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you to all who have replied. I am sitting here crying while reading your supportive responses. I think I may wade through some of it and try to trade/sell some of the stuff I know I'm just not using that are 'hot' items right now. And donate some of my other stuff. But I will keep things I love. And hopefully that will get me down to a point where the stamping area is at least neat. It sits in my living room and I'm tired of looking at the mess and there is too much stuff for it not to be a mess. I did make a card last night.

I have been married 20 years (half my life) and there are two kids involved (9&12). He was an alcoholic for most of our marriage. He quit drinking about 5 years ago but he's still a 'dry drunk'. Life was all about him. He got angry at everything. He was controlling and manipulative. I do see a counselor - and we also tried marriage counseling. He wasn't making any changes and I wasn't willing to give up any more of 'me' so I filed. It should be final April 22nd. And he has gone back to drinking. He has refused to get a job. He lives with friends so can't take the kids. So he has them a total of 11 hours a week and I vacate the house so he can watch them here. I hate having him in my space but I also know the kids need to see him. So for now I make the sacrifice.

And to the person with the mini paper bags...that made me laugh! Too funny. :-)

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

My heart goes out to you. I agree to pack it up for awhile, but not permanently. Perhaps in all of your "spare" time, you and the kids can make cards for the troops. My husband was deployed to Iraq and the cards that were made available to him were so thoughtful and appreciated. One day (or one card) at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Jane, I would have to be in agreement with most everyone here. De clutter some more (things that will be dated) then pack it ALL up for a while..........if, when your life starts to feel normal (sometimes I don't know what normal is anymore) you want to stamp again in 6 months you will have your things.........if not then it is already packed so it will be quick and easy to dispose of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

close up stamping for now. A body can only handle so much. Don't get rid of the stuff because the day will come when you want it again. Sometimes I go 9 months without touching it...then get into it for a weekend...and am so glad I still have it...then close it for another 9 months. I haven't bought anything new in 2 years though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh my goodness. What a heart wrenching story. Do whatever works for you. You deserve a break. ((hugs))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

All stamping aside, many of us have been through a divorce and are now happier on the other side. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, hug your kids and keep moving forward. Make your peace with the past and look to the future. We are pulling for you. HUGS!! Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Just wanted to chime in with a hug for you, dear. Be sure to be kind to yourself while all this is going on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks everyone. I found out yesterday there has been a delay. Argh. One day at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Oooohh interesting thread, expecially today of all days. It's been one of those winters, no time to stamp and I keep thinking it will get better, but it doesn't. I have other things that I seriously enjoy, and now with summer coming our family will spend many many weekends camping.

Once about a year ago I put my entire scrapbooking collection on Craigslist as one big lot for $4000, and I had two people fighting over who could come get it first. I ended up practically in tears when I thought it was ACTUALLY leaving, and then told both it was no longer for sale.

Now today I was again thinking I wouldn't mind a nice chunk of cash and have it all GONE...with no temptation to buy one more thing, and no sense of guilt over having a huge investment with little time to use it.

It's my little world though, my scrapping room...and as little as I use it, I absolutely LOVE it. It's kind of like a dog that pees on the floor...once in a while it looks like a good idea to get rid of it, but in the end I will be glad I have it. I hope. Craigslist will still be there if I change my mind. Haha!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

I've never thought of chucking my stuff...after four years I'm still collecting! I have a VERY manageable amount of supplies. It has not taken over.

If I were you I'd at least keep the basics and see what happens. If you are buried in supplies it wouldn't hurt to sell/donate some of it. Sometimes less is more!
You don't want it to be a negative in your life.

I went through a divorce and it's a very unsettled time. It takes quite a while to get back to the "norm".
Good luck and God Bless!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't consitered getting rid of all of it but about three years ago my mundane job changed into a horrible, hostile work environment. I was regularly bullied by some co-workers and cried every morning as I got ready for work. It was a struggle for me to get up and get moving. I screamed at my kids, ignored my husband and QUIT stamping. I finally talked to my doctor. She put me on anti-anxiety meds and told me not to do ANYTHING but look for a new job. It took a year but I did find a new job, eventually quit the meds and I'm finally able to spend time in my stamp room, happy and creative again. In fact, the misery has encouraged me to really step out and for the first time, I've created with very little CASEing!

I've been through a divorce also (a long time ago, before stamping) and when your stress level gets to the point that your life and loves are being effected, first see your doctor and then don't do anything rash. Focus on healing and removing the stress. The loves will be there when you find you way back.

I'm sorry for your divorce. It sucks, even if you know in your head it's the right thing. :(

~W
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:53 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

I used to be a professional quilter. Besides making quilts, I had my own pattern company, judged quilt shows, taught quilt classes and wrote for magazines. I even had a book deal in the works. But I was getting to the point where I hated all of it. I didn't have the motivation to quilt anymore. I figured, if it wasn't fun anymore, I shouldn't be doing it. So I packed everything up and put it in storage. And I haven't used it since I quit except for making an occasional pillow or doing some clothing repairs. For me, this was the right decision and I have not regretted it.

As far as cardmaking. I do have times where I lose my mojo and don't feel creative. I have learned not to push it or it makes my stress worse. So I shut the door to my craft room and don't go back in until I really have the desire to stamp.

It sounds like you haven't used your stuff in a while so maybe this craft isn't right for you at this point in your life. Especially with everything else going on. I think if I was in your position right now (as I have been in the past with my quilting). I would save only the essential tools and most favorite stamps and pack them away. Everything else I would sell or donate (your local school would love paper and stamps and ink for their art classes). If you ever get back into scrapping/stamping you will have the tools that you spent the most money on. You can always buy paper and ink again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 AM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

((((HUGS)))) to you! I was wondering the same thing JulieHRR mentioned: depression. It is worth exploring as medication, even on a temporary basis to clear your head while you are going through this, can work wonders. With that said, when I have had bouts of depression, some debilitating, my mojo totally tanked and I would want to just throw all of my stamping supplies away because I just wasn't thinking clearly! I think this went on for several months once. However, I am glad I didn't listen to my messed-up self because once I got better, so did my desire to create! I am just giving you my own experience so I pray that you do what is right for you God bless you and give you strength during this difficult time He loves you and so do we
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:35 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

Sorry for your life situation.
I had a professional organizer come to my home and studio a couple weeks ago to try and find my way out of the mess. First of all, you probably don't even know what you have. She insisted I stop purchasing anything until I go through EVERYTHING, sort it into 3 boxes: 1)donate to school daycare, care center or goodwill. 2)throw out 3)I forgot what that was! I checked with a daycare near my home the other day and they said they would be happy to take anything I don't want. Of course, you have to judge what the very young/elderly will be able to handle dexterity-wise. I couldn't use all the stuff in here if I lived to be 105, and not even then! I have tons of paper I have never used, don't really like anymore and it's ugly as sin to me now. Of course, all that goes. You'd be surprised what you can cull out when you make up your mind to do it. Now, since I have a Wizard, I'm considering donating my shape (circle, square, scalloped, etc.) punches. I haven't done it yet, though. I have tons of magazines: she suggested a way to organize the info. in them, which I'll share with anyone who wants to know. It's a little detailed for this reply.
Then when you know what you have left, and hopefully it's a lot less that what you started with (I said I could maybe get rid of 20% of my stuff, and I was just saying that to make her happy...I didn't really think I could do it. She said she was thinking I could get rid of 25-30%) Then you label EVERYTHING, and put a sample on the outside of the container when applicable. Alphabetize supplies, since that's the way we were taught to think in school or wherever. Put like things together, then alphabetize within that category. Etc. ie: Brads; alpha brads; blue brads, circle brads, flower brads, square brads. OR: Buttons: bright buttons, flower buttons, pastel buttons, shape buttons, and so on.
I'm totally amazed at all the stuff that is now in boxes in my sunroom. And I've barely started. But here's the thing: It feels SO GOOD!!! Cause all that stuff you don't use, don't like, and don't want but you don't think you can get rid of REALLY DRAGS YOU DOWN!! You just feel so much cleaner afterwards. So, I'm thinking:
I'll bet this would be good therapy for you. It would take your mind off your personal problems for a while (set a time limit to work, like 1 hour), you'd be forced to think about other things and make decisions that do not involve your personal life. (It also sounds like you're ready to start culling anyway.) And knowing that you can decide the little things might help your confidence to made decisions about the big things. When you're culling and sorting, if you end up with nothing, so be it. If/when you get inspired again, you can start over (I can hear the groans!) but with a different mind set.
The organizer said also when you do buy new stuff, you have to get rid of that quantity of the old stuff. Like they tell you to do when you get new clothes. You'll probably be a little (or a lot) poorer, after the divorce, but there are people out there who can help you when and if you decide to stamp/scrap again.
Hope some of this helps - I'm thinking of you and rooting for you - I'm on your side!!!
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Hugs, hon! Divorce is hard on people.

I walked away from scrapping for almost 2 years. I had a new baby, 2 other kids at home and a demanding full-time job. I still loved buying scrapping stuff, but I felt like it was work to use it so I didn't, then I felt guilty for not using it. So I switched to buying my kids to-die-for wardrobes which required no effort. I just left all my stuff where it was in the guest room and actually covered it all with my new hobby, clothes shopping.

But one day, I felt the creative urge again. So I unearthed it all, organized it, purged all the stuff I no longer wanted and was SO GLAD that I didn't have to start from scratch. My mojo still goes, but I don't try to force it. When I want to, I craft. When I don't, I just walk on by and know that I'll get back to it someday.

It sounds like what is bothering you most is the mess. I completely understand the desire to have things neat and controlled. Maybe a purge and a bit of new storage could help you feel better about paper crafting.

Good luck. I'll pray for you.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:12 AM   #37  
Inking Addict

PS. I remembered the other box (above) - it was for garage or LSS sale stuff. I hope I didn't minimize or trivialize your situation, cause it must be overwhelming. I, too have clinical depression and anxiety, and will be on medication forever, God willing! So hug yourself well and deeply, and know that there are so many of us who care, and avail yourself of all the help you can find, be it medication, support group, whatever. It has to be the right thing for YOU at THIS particular time, and don't do anything more or less than you want to do and what feels right.
SQ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:59 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: In a place where there is Never enough TIME to stamp

Hugs to you, girl! I've lost my mojo many times, just because of the mess and clutter I create. And I have to admit, I'm one of these people that get a project started and leave it out and it takes me forever to finish and put everything away. I've been re-doing my bathroom for months! Anyway, my goal is to organize all my craft crap and purge a lot too. It is such an overwelming feeling. I can't imaging doing that and going through what you are. I feel for you! Do you have an awesome crafting buddie that can help you organinze and pack stuff up? Or better yet, when people ask, "IS there anything I can do to help?"....respond and say, "yes!"
Good Luck and Best of Wishes!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have went thru 2 serious life events since I started papercrafting/card-making appox 7 years ago and during those times I wondered if I should stop my hobby since I didn't have the creative energy to play but DH both times stopped me from making what would have been a terrible mistake. Even though it wasn't divorce it still was major events that changed my life forever. I am so glad I just packed up most of my supplies and let go till I felt I wanted to re-enter my hobby again.

I agree giving it 1 year is best before making a decision of giving or selling all your stuff. Once the stress calms down you might get your Mojo back.

Personally I went thru a 2.5 year life threatening illness that left me bedridden for over 6 months and the other was the adoption of a Very Ill newborn and I stopped crafting for about 18 months that time. So even though I have been crafting for appox 7 years- 4 of those years I was unable to participate in my hobby but I will admit I did continue to buy paper I liked and a few stamps during those long periods of time but it was because I always planned on comeback to my hobby when the time was right. I may not have had any creative Mojo during those times- I still knew what I liked (appearance wise) and would rarely make a purchase. I laugh looking back during my life-threatening illness/disease thinking why did I buy anything since everyone (including my doctors) had given up on me but in my heart I knew I would survive except in my darkest days.

Give it some time- divorce is so difficult- you don't have to play with your stuff- just pack it up and label the boxes and reconsider at 1 year and then maybe again 6 months later. Try to keep in mind you don't have to pack everything up you can keep some things out and even without Mojo you can play for relaxation (something I am sure you need to do right now). The stuff you make doesn't have to be great or even good right now, it is all about relaxing your mind. I recently printed out all the challenges just so when I have a bad day I can look thru my binder find something that looks like fun and give it a try, not having to rely on creative Mojo.

Just a suggestion.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Let me just add another "hang in there" and "chin up". It WILL get better. I went thru much the same thing over the last couple years (although there wasn't drink or kids involved, thank goodness). I didn't do a thing for nearly 2 years, and have only just in the last couple months begun to get back into it. I did consider just getting rid of it all, but am sooooo glad I didn't!

I'm also of the opinion that if the clutter bothers you, just pack it all into tubs and stick it in the garage or shed or wherever. Out of sight, out of mind, so you won't have any of that "I should" feeling. Once things settle down, and they will, you can begin to think about them and pull some out to see if you get some urges.

One thing I do recommend though...stay on the boards! Even if you don't get involved, it's a good "ground"...read the threads that interest you and check all the galleries. I did and evenutally, something caught my eye as in "that's pretty, I could do that"! I didn't right away, but I had more and more thoughts like that and it brought me back.

One day at a time, girl...one day at a time
Reply With Quote Likes