Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ocean's Eleven - Meet & Greet

Hi ladies!

I loved the suggestion on a get-to-know-you thread, so I figured I'd get the ball rolling.

SCS Member: crafterthoughts
Name: Stephanie
blog: www.papercrafterthoughts.blogspot.com

I live in: western PA - about 1 hour out of Pittsburgh

Family: I'm a single gal who just purchased my first home this summer. I had enough of townhouse living or what I really mean is sharing walls with others. I also adopted a sweet & spunky tabby/calico this summer, Coco (short for Coconut or as I call her Coco the Nut). It was a difficult decision after I lost my precious Lucy (the dog in my avatar) last year, but Coco has been the perfect addition.

Job: I teach gifted students in grades 3 - 12. It keeps me very busy. In fact, I'm in the middle of a crazy competition season - 5 competitions in 2 months. I'm very blessed to have the same kiddos year after year, and they're such a great group.

How the addiction began: I was invited to a SU party right after graduating college, and I fell in love with it! Finding a job, moving to VA and back, and one thing or another kept me from really getting into stamping/papercrafting regularly. Typically, I'd just make my Christmas cards. Last year, I discovered SCS and (except for my finding a home & moving hiatus) I haven't looked back.

Fun facts: I love shoes, and I have quite a collection (and it's even organized). I also love to cook and travel, especially anywhere with good restaurants and good shopping! I don't drink coffee and I'm not a fan of chocolate (I know, weird), but I'd give anything to return to Baltimore's Lexington Market for a sour cream doughnut (yummmm...).

I'm so excited to get to know more about everyone in our group!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I'm next!

Name: Mary
SCS name: MBryt1 - this is also my user name at AIM, Yahoo Messenger, etc....
Location: Sylvania, OH which is right next door to Toledo and about 5 minutes from the Michigan line

Family info: I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 28 years and we have 2 children - Aimee is 28, married and a special ed teacher/administrator. Her hubby is an RN. They were expecting our 1st grandchild but she lost the baby a month ago. Sad time for our family. And my son is Jacob, he is 20, a college student, was born premature and has cerebral palsy. He's a wheelchair user and the brightest, funniest kid you'll ever meet. We also have a loveable furbaby, a 2 year old Lab named Princess Leia (from Star Wars - my son's favorite movies!)

Jobs: I work part time for a real estate company doing billing and general office "stuff" and I am a part time consultant with Close To My Heart. I have been with them over 8 years and still love it although I don't sell as much as I used to. The rest of my free time is spent with family committments, especially assisting my son with his various needs, and, of course, being creative! It's my sanity!

I too started my love affair with stamping at a SU party. When I decided to get into the biz, I went with CTMH because there were very few consultants in my area as compared to a load of SU reps. I also love scrapbooking and try to keep somewhat up to date with my albums but I have a little catching up to do now.

Odds and Ends: I would like to get a business rolling in which I create custom invitations, cards, scrapbooks, etc.. for others. I work on it now and again but not as much as I should. I have hosted an online virtual convention for over 900 CTMH consultants every summer for the past 5 years. It has been a lot of fun but also a lot of work and I am now passing the baton to someone else. My dream is to get on a design team or be published before the end of 2009. I like to cook, when I'm in the mood and love to collect recipes. I have a huge sweet tooth and adore anything chocolate. I hate nuts so no peanut butter in my chocolate please My idea of a great evening is going out to dinner and a movie or having an entire evening to myself to stamp!

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Once we get in the swing of things, is anyone in our group interested in participating in a swap? Or maybe we should have a RAK list between our members? Just some idea to toss out there -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

SCS Member: jazzyscrapper
Name: Amy
blog: http://coloryourimagination.blogspot.com/

I live in: Marietta, GA

Family: It is my DH and my dog (Murray white fluffy dog that tells to talk. My daughter died so I can't seem to make myself to do a scrapbook on her. It makes me sad.

Job: I used to be a computer programmer but I have had 2 strokes so it is hard for me to concentration among other things.

How the addiction began: I was on the Weight watcher forum and their were ladies in the area of town I lived in so when we met they were scrapbooking so I was new to Atl so I figure I would meet people . They were having an SU party sn I got hooked.

Fun facts: I love color, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I have a strong sweet tooth but not chocolate, I love jelly beans. I love tea and trying all kinds of them.

I look forward to get to know you guys.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyScrapperView Post
SCS Member: jazzyscrapper
Name: Amy
blog: http://coloryourimagination.blogspot.com/

I live in: Marietta, GA

Family: It is my DH and my dog (Murray white fluffy dog that tells to talk. My daughter died so I can't seem to make myself to do a scrapbook on her. It makes me sad.

Job: I used to be a computer programmer but I have had 2 strokes so it is hard for me to concentration among other things.

How the addiction began: I was on the Weight watcher forum and their were ladies in the area of town I lived in so when we met they were scrapbooking so I was new to Atl so I figure I would meet people . They were having an SU party sn I got hooked.

Fun facts: I love color, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I have a strong sweet tooth but not chocolate, I love jelly beans. I love tea and trying all kinds of them.

I look forward to get to know you guys.
I'm a tea drinker too - Love so many of the Republic of Tea flavors. I'm hooked on the Bing Cherry Black Tea (from Harry and David) right now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Here's mine.....

SCS Member: lauraos
Name: Laura
blog: www.lauraoshea.typepad.com

I live in: West Hartford, Connecticut

Family: I am married with two children. Mo and I will have been married 10 years this September. Meghan is 7 and in second grade and Conor is 5 and in kindergarten. The kids are pushing hard for a dog but Mo and I like other peoples pets, not so much wanting one of our own. We did let the kids get goldfish but that's as far into the pet world as we have gone.

Job: I am a SAHM and have a small business selling cards, invitations, gifts etc. I usually participate in a couple craft fairs a year but make most of my money from word of mouth and repeat business. My busiest time of year is around the Christmas holidays. I am also a room mother for Conor and volunteer in both kids' library classes so I am at the school a few times a week. And lastly, I am a total hobby demo for TAC.

How the addiction began: I learned to stamp when I was at graduate school at Clemson Univ. A good friend of mine at the time was a stamper and she got me hooked. Back then the internet wasn't really a thing so I used to order catalogs from the various companies and place orders that way. For a while I got away from stamping and concentrated solely on scrapbooking. After I started selling my cards, I really got back into stamping. Now the sbing has been put on the backburner but I need to do something with all those pictures!

Fun facts: My favorite color is purple, has been since I was in kindergarten. I love to read and have passed that addiction on to my daughter. I like a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to get me going and then its tea from there, specifically flavored white and green teas. I would choose salty foods over sweet but won't pass up sugar if its around (and its a peppermint patty or mint chocolate chip ice cream). I gained weight after the birth of my kids and try to get to the gym at 5:30am most days to lost some and stay healthy. I'm sure I could come up with more but that's good for now!

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafterthoughtsView Post
I'm a tea drinker too - Love so many of the Republic of Tea flavors. I'm hooked on the Bing Cherry Black Tea (from Harry and David) right now
I never tried that one, I will be on the lookout for it.. I like to go to teavana.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I never tried that one, I will be on the lookout for it.. I like to go to teavana.
I came across a Teavana earlier this year in Columbus, OH on a shopping trip. Heavenly!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

SCS Member: GinaLin
Name: Gina
Blog: www.ginasmakingsandmusings.blogspot.com

I live in: Nashville, TN

Family: My husband Kip and I have been married for just over three years. We met at church and got married one year after meeting for the first time. The minister that married that invited Kip to a class I was in, married us. We have three cats Calvin, Hobbes and Dewey.

Job: I have two actually. I work part time for a manufacturing and distribution company. I reconcile all the shipping documents and then find those documents as needed if there are any issues. My other job is a nanny for two little girls, ages 6 and 9. I have been with them for about five years and they are just part of the family now. Both girls enjoy crafting with me and Samantha (the six year old) occasionally likes to post some of her creations on the end of my posts. They have a great Mom, but she isn't "crafty" so they love to come over here and play in my craft room. Since I don't have kids yet, she lets me make all of the girls treats and things to take to school.

How the addiction began: One of my friends invited me to a Close to My Heart workshop. I wasn't interested since I had attempted stamping once before, with no luck. I hadn't seen her in a while so she talked me into coming just to catch up. The demo was great and I was so impressed with the things that I was able to make. I was hooked from that moment. Since then the demo and I have gotten to be great friends and then I have made so many friends through blogging and here on SCS.

Fun Facts: I collect Pez dispensers and have for many years. I even had a Bride and Groom Pez on top of our wedding cake. My favorite color is yellow. I prefer salty snacks over sweet, except for peppermint ice cream! I like coffee in the mornings, can't function without it, but later in the day if I want something hot I like tea (Almond is my favorite). We enjoy traveling to new places and usually at odd times of the year.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, this is a great idea! I have loved reading all about you ladies!!

SCS Member: My3LittleMonkeys
Name: Sibohan (pronounced like shove-on)
blog: http://the-monkey-hut.blogspot.com

I live in: Misawa, Japan (upper end of the main island)

Family: DH and I have been married for going on 12 years (giving the amount of time is a joke between us because I always lose track and he likes to make fun of me for it!) We have 3 kids, ages 9 (boy) and 2 girls 7 and 3 1/2.

Job: I am a nurse, specifically high-risk Labor and Delivery. I have done everything from teach at a University to manage a doctor's office to Public Health. Currently, I am unemployed as working over here is challenging with day care options and DH's deployment schedule.

How the addiction began: I began scrapbooking in 2000 and a friend showed me the alphabet stamps to use instead of stickers (don't you hate when you run out of all of the R's??!) Then we moved to CO in 2003 and a dear friend of mine got me into SU. DH curses her daily! (Just kidding!) I made cards occasionally and then really got into it when DH was in Iraq back in 2006.

Fun facts: I used to Irish Dance before it was made popular by Riverdance! I have walked the Great Wall of China. I am addicted to Facebook! I was a Girl Scout for 12 years. I like to be sarcastic. ;) I am in a large SCS Pen Pal group with Laura, which I love!

Can't wait to get to know everyone!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

SCS Member: maine_girl
Name: Katie
blog: www.katiesniche.blogspot.com

I live in: Virginia Beach, VA

Family: I am a Navy wife, mom of not only a teenage girl (13) but I also have a new son who will be 3 month on the 26th (born Nov 26). We have two Maine Coon cats (my avatar).

Job: I am a SAHM and I love my job, wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

How the addiction began: Back in about '96 I was working with a woman that stamped and was always telling us to grab the Michaels coupon and shop. Well, I started a little collection then and dabbed in it a bit. But, I didn't really start to know what I was doing until we were in Okinawa Japan. I took a stamping class at the craft store, the woman holding the class asked if I'd like to also come to her house for the class she had there...she was a SU demo and is now my up-line of 3 years!

Fun facts: I'm a reader, I have every Danielle Steel & Nicholas Sparks novel to start....many others. I love country music and am hoping to see George Strait this summer!! I love kitchen gadgets and am currently waiting on yet another Pampered Chef order, lol.
My Etsy: katiesniche
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

SCS Member: KayInFL
Name: Kay
blog: www.kaypeterson.blogspot.com

I live in: Fleming Island - 45 mins south of Jacksonville, Florida

Family: I've been married for 19 years (20 this December) to my DH, who I met when he was stationed in Scotland. We have one son, one grandbaby and one little white dog.

Job: I'm an Agency Representative for a national title insurance underwriter. I'm also the State trainer - it hasn't been the best couple of years for our industry and most of us who are lucky enough to still be employed are doing more than one job. It's all good though.

How the addiction began: I was invited to a SU party when we were stationed in CA, went along and bought what was demo'd then left it all in a bag. Fast forward 2 years and I decided to try it again - I was an SU demo for 5 years, before discovering unmounted stamps and The Angel Company.

Fun facts: I always find these hard!! I love to read, love to collect cookbooks and watch the Food Network although I don't actually cook that much myself. I have a shoe addiction, love good wine and old black and white movies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraosView Post
Here's mine.....

Job: I am a SAHM and have a small business selling cards, invitations, gifts etc. I usually participate in a couple craft fairs a year but make most of my money from word of mouth and repeat business. My busiest time of year is around the Christmas holidays. I am also a room mother for Conor and volunteer in both kids' library classes so I am at the school a few times a week. And lastly, I am a total hobby demo for TAC.

Fun facts: My favorite color is purple, has been since I was in kindergarten. I love to read and have passed that addiction on to my daughter. !
Hi there fellow Angel

I also love to read - what are your favorites? I pretty much read anything other than Harlequin romance types.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

My turn....

SCS Name: lilsisbet (little sister Bet)
Blog: www.stampscrapandmore.blogspot.com

I live just outside Toronto, Canada (I may be the only Canuck so please excuse the accent eh!)

Family: I am single - never been married and no kiddos. I do have a brand-spanking new great nephew though. My 3 sisters and I are all red-heads - and isn't my new nephew also a red-head. Can you say Trouble! Oh.. and (gulp!) I turn 50 next week. I am taking the week off work and hope it goes away.

Job: I am an Admin Assistant for an Engineering Firm. I have been there 20 years in May. The company I work for makes Space Robotics for NASA on the Shuttle and Station. A few years ago I got to go to the Kennedy Space Center to watch a launch then up to the Johnson Space Center in Houston to help organize a party. This was probably the highlight (work wise) in my 20 years.

How it started: I have always been a crafter. Even worked part-time at Michaels for 4 years just to be close to the "stuff". I love making cards because it is instant gratification. I get bored with things that take a long time (needlepoint, etc). I bought one card kit from Stampin Up 3 years ago and signed on immediately to be a demonstrator - just for the discount. I have been crafting as long as I can remember.

Fun Facts (or useless facts): I was a big Bay City Roller fan (many many years ago) and traveled to Scotland to search them out! I was young (1, nieve and its a good thing I didn't get arrested. Overall, I consider myself a good kid.

Next...

My Blog: http://stampscrapandmore.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafterthoughtsView Post
Hi ladies!

I loved the suggestion on a get-to-know-you thread, so I figured I'd get the ball rolling.

SCS Member: crafterthoughts
Name: Stephanie
blog: www.papercrafterthoughts.blogspot.com

I live in: western PA - about 1 hour out of Pittsburgh

Family: I'm a single gal who just purchased my first home this summer. I had enough of townhouse living or what I really mean is sharing walls with others. I also adopted a sweet & spunky tabby/calico this summer, Coco (short for Coconut or as I call her Coco the Nut). It was a difficult decision after I lost my precious Lucy (the dog in my avatar) last year, but Coco has been the perfect addition.

Job: I teach gifted students in grades 3 - 12. It keeps me very busy. In fact, I'm in the middle of a crazy competition season - 5 competitions in 2 months. I'm very blessed to have the same kiddos year after year, and they're such a great group.

How the addiction began: I was invited to a SU party right after graduating college, and I fell in love with it! Finding a job, moving to VA and back, and one thing or another kept me from really getting into stamping/papercrafting regularly. Typically, I'd just make my Christmas cards. Last year, I discovered SCS and (except for my finding a home & moving hiatus) I haven't looked back.

Fun facts: I love shoes, and I have quite a collection (and it's even organized). I also love to cook and travel, especially anywhere with good restaurants and good shopping! I don't drink coffee and I'm not a fan of chocolate (I know, weird), but I'd give anything to return to Baltimore's Lexington Market for a sour cream doughnut (yummmm...).

I'm so excited to get to know more about everyone in our group!
Hi Stephanie.... I go to Pittsburg fairly often. I have family that lives in West Virginia (across the River from Stubenville, OH). Whenever we visit, we always end up in Pittsburg shopping. And of course we have to stop at Grove City on our way down .

Its a small world.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilsisbetView Post
My turn....

SCS Name: lilsisbet (little sister Bet)
Blog: www.stampscrapandmore.blogspot.com

I live just outside Toronto, Canada (I may be the only Canuck so please excuse the accent eh!)

Family: I am single - never been married and no kiddos. I do have a brand-spanking new great nephew though. My 3 sisters and I are all red-heads - and isn't my new nephew also a red-head. Can you say Trouble! Oh.. and (gulp!) I turn 50 next week. I am taking the week off work and hope it goes away.

Job: I am an Admin Assistant for an Engineering Firm. I have been there 20 years in May. The company I work for makes Space Robotics for NASA on the Shuttle and Station. A few years ago I got to go to the Kennedy Space Center to watch a launch then up to the Johnson Space Center in Houston to help organize a party. This was probably the highlight (work wise) in my 20 years.

How it started: I have always been a crafter. Even worked part-time at Michaels for 4 years just to be close to the "stuff". I love making cards because it is instant gratification. I get bored with things that take a long time (needlepoint, etc). I bought one card kit from Stampin Up 3 years ago and signed on immediately to be a demonstrator - just for the discount. I have been crafting as long as I can remember.

Fun Facts (or useless facts): I was a big Bay City Roller fan (many many years ago) and traveled to Scotland to search them out! I was young (1, nieve and its a good thing I didn't get arrested. Overall, I consider myself a good kid.

Next...
What part of Scotland? Maybe I saw you there...... I went to a couple of BCR concerts myself, back in the day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Too funny Kay. I have had a penpal that lived just outside Edinburgh. We have been penpals since we were 16 (34 years). Our families have become very close. Her parents still live outside Edinburgh but she lives in Aberdeen now. We "found" one of the houses the BCR lived in. They were on tour at the time so no one was home. It was a house in the middle of nowhere - not a tree, house, store, anything in sight. I think back now and don't know what we would have done if they were home. We were very nieve. But it was a fun time. It really is a beautiful area.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
SCS Member: KayInFL
Name: Kay
blog: www.kaypeterson.blogspot.com

I live in: Fleming Island - 45 mins south of Jacksonville, Florida

Family: I've been married for 19 years (20 this December) to my DH, who I met when he was stationed in Scotland. We have one son, one grandbaby and one little white dog.

Job: I'm an Agency Representative for a national title insurance underwriter. I'm also the State trainer - it hasn't been the best couple of years for our industry and most of us who are lucky enough to still be employed are doing more than one job. It's all good though.

How the addiction began: I was invited to a SU party when we were stationed in CA, went along and bought what was demo'd then left it all in a bag. Fast forward 2 years and I decided to try it again - I was an SU demo for 5 years, before discovering unmounted stamps and The Angel Company.

Fun facts: I always find these hard!! I love to read, love to collect cookbooks and watch the Food Network although I don't actually cook that much myself. I have a shoe addiction, love good wine and old black and white movies.
DH's family is in St Augustine and Fernandina Beach. I lived there for 4 months before we moved here while DH was in traning.

You know those hometown greetings they play around X-mas? Well, we were on both the Orlando and Jax stations!! LOL You may have seen me! Ha Ha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

OK Me Next!

SCS Name: Ozziepuddles
Blog: Ozziepuds.blogspot.com

Family: One wonderful husband (third time's a charm LOL); 2 wonderful children (Ashley, 20 and Alex, 1; three wonderful canine kids - Groovy Grover (black and tan miniature dachsund), Ozziepuddles (black and white dapple miniature long haired dachsund), and Wilbur (our precious pound puppy that is wirey-haired and we think he's a yorkie/terrier mix but who knows for sure!) and one grandchild on the way July 1st (It's a girl!)

Job: Admin. Asst. at the University of Alabama Athletic Department. I work for five sports - volleyball, men's track, women's track, rowing (crew) and women's tennis. 18 wonderful coaches - never a dull moment! I occasionally get to make road trips with the teams, and have traveled to the NCAA Volleyball tourney - all very cool parts of my job!

How it started: I began two years ago as a scrapper, and last summer went to CKC Charlotte with my sister and created a Monster! Within three months of CKC Steph was opening her own brick and mortar scrapbook store called Funkie Munkie Scraps! I LOVE my "family discount" at the store, so it keeps my stamping obsession (I mean hobby) somewhat affordable, although I think I just buy twice as much stuff! I scoured the internet for stamps that I love and have found that fun, whimsical and humorous are my faves.

Fun Facts: I was an avid golfer before I fell and broke my humorus bone (no kidding, that's it's name) five weeks ago in a restaurant parking lot. Now, I'm sporting a stainless steel plate and six beautiful screws in my arm! Oh well, more time to stamp! I also enjoy going to movies, and reading mysteries when I have time. I am also a scholarship donor and volunteer for the Miss Alabama Scholarship Pageant, connected with the Miss America Organization. I have been to Las Vegas for the past three years to attend the Miss America Pageant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

This has been very interesting reading!

SCS Name: peggysue
Name: just call me peggysue
Blog: rosesbymywindow.blogspot.com

Family: One fabulous husband, we've been married nine years. My dear oldest daughter who is in college, she is a junior. Two still in high school, my DS is a senior and has selected his college for Fall of this year, and my DD who is a junior. One first grade girl. One pound puppy, Finn, who is a mixture (we think) of lab and basset hound.

Job: Freelance technical writer, I usually write about the functional properties of food ingredients, but I've also written about manufacturing and other somewhat odd topics. It makes me available for the kids.

How it started: A friend kept inviting me to these stoopid stamping parties and I'd look for the least expensive thing in the catalogue or a simple stamp set and go home and shove it under the bed. One day I finally stumbled across these things under the bed and tried using them . . . took me about two years of collecting dust before I did that . . . now there isn't a bed large enough to hide the stuff underneath.

Fun facts: I've been to China but didn't see the Great Wall. Had what I call my "Indiana Jones" eating adventures over there. I've been to more countries but oldest DD has me beat because she's been to more continents. I like geocaching when the weather is warm enough and my two favorite states are Arkansas and Montana.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Hi there fellow Angel

I also love to read - what are your favorites? I pretty much read anything other than Harlequin romance types.
I'm open to reading pretty much anything....mystery (old cozies as well as current), romance, fiction, a good biography if tis done well. I don't do well with anything too scary (I once read Dean Koontz's Door to December and scared myself silly) and I won't read anything that has anything bad happen to small children, can't handle reading those. Most other things are fair game.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeysView Post
DH's family is in St Augustine and Fernandina Beach. I lived there for 4 months before we moved here while DH was in traning.

You know those hometown greetings they play around X-mas? Well, we were on both the Orlando and Jax stations!! LOL You may have seen me! Ha Ha

So now I know you're Navy! My DH was a Seabee and NAS Jax was our last duty station so we just ended up here - it's not the worst place to live! He was deployed to Okinawa (sp?) before we met and he loved it, but we never made it back there. We did go back to Scotland for a couple of years, but that was the most exotic tour we did. How do you like Japan?

St. Augustine is very pretty, but I love Fernandina - the cute shops, the beach, the old fashioned feel to it. Nothing beats it - sitting outside having lunch (or an adult beverage or two) in one of the little downtown cafes? Doesn't get much better than that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilsisbetView Post
Too funny Kay. I have had a penpal that lived just outside Edinburgh. We have been penpals since we were 16 (34 years). Our families have become very close. Her parents still live outside Edinburgh but she lives in Aberdeen now. We "found" one of the houses the BCR lived in. They were on tour at the time so no one was home. It was a house in the middle of nowhere - not a tree, house, store, anything in sight. I think back now and don't know what we would have done if they were home. We were very nieve. But it was a fun time. It really is a beautiful area.
I went to college in Aberdeen! It's only about an hour north of my home town - and Edinburgh is one of my favorite places ever. There is such an elegant feel to it (not really a word you would connect with the BCR's) although you may not have appreciated it at the time, worshipping as you were at the shrine

I know what you mean about looking back and shuddering - there are lots of things I did then that I absolutely wouldn't do now. It's wonderful to be young and fearless!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

We are actually Air Force! ;) DH had training in Phoenix and left me with his crazy family for the entire summer! LOL (They are not really crazy...well, maybe just one of them...anyway...)

I really love the area. You are right, Fernandina has that old Southern charm and such a nice atmosphere. I love St Aug because it is like a small town trying to resist being gobbled up by Jax! I could be happy living there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraosView Post
I'm open to reading pretty much anything....mystery (old cozies as well as current), romance, fiction, a good biography if tis done well. I don't do well with anything too scary (I once read Dean Koontz's Door to December and scared myself silly) and I won't read anything that has anything bad happen to small children, can't handle reading those. Most other things are fair game.
Then we can have a mini book club right here with the caviat that I won't recommend any scary Stephen King like books to you and you won't recommend any bodice rippers to me. It's just those I don't care for - love me some chick lit!!

I do like mysteries of all sorts, from the psychotic killers, through the gentler themed ones. I'm currently reading "Faefever" by Karen Marie Moning. it's part of the Bloodfever series - set in Dublin. and full of Celtic mystery. Not really sure how I would classify it - mystery, yes - but not your normal mystery stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

We are actually Air Force! ;) DH had training in Phoenix and left me with his crazy family for the entire summer! LOL (They are not really crazy...well, maybe just one of them...anyway...)

I really love the area. You are right, Fernandina has that old Southern charm and such a nice atmosphere. I love St Aug because it is like a small town trying to resist being gobbled up by Jax! I could be happy living there!

I'll forgive you if you forgive me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Then we can have a mini book club right here with the caviat that I won't recommend any scary Stephen King like books to you and you won't recommend any bodice rippers to me. It's just those I don't care for - love me some chick lit!!

I do like mysteries of all sorts, from the psychotic killers, through the gentler themed ones. I'm currently reading "Faefever" by Karen Marie Moning. it's part of the Bloodfever series - set in Dublin. and full of Celtic mystery. Not really sure how I would classify it - mystery, yes - but not your normal mystery stuff.
Sounds interesting - I'll have to see if the library has it.
I've been reading the Laura Childs scrapbooking mystery series - its cute.
In the kids section, I've been reading Tamora Pierce books. Have to stay one step ahead of Meghan who is a reading fiend so I've been looking at different stuff to decide when she can read it. She's just started Harry Potter and will have the series finished in no time!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

OK. I'm next. I am loving reading about everybody!

SCS Name: kimdep
Name: Kim D
Blog: www.desperatelyseekingstamps.blogspot.com

I live in: Overland Park, KS. It is a suburb of Kansas City

Family: I am single and haven't been married, but I am eagerly awaiting a ring from my boyfriend. Hopefully by summer. He has two kids, a son who will be 15 in a few weeks and a daughter who is 12, but they live in South Dakota with their mother. I've met them and we all like each other so that's a relief! We also just adopted a kitten together, Zoey, (my avatar). We got her after his cat he'd had for 3 years ran away while he was moving. The day after he brought Zoey home he got a phone call saying "I think I found your cat". So, Apollo is now back home after being missing 7 weeks and is REALLY not happy about Zoey. Hopefully, that issue goes away soon and everybody plays nicely!

Job: I work in Accounting for a large engineering firm.

How the addiction began: I had always thought stamping sounded fun, but I had no idea how to get started. Then my best friend invited me to a SU party and I was a goner! I put in an order at her party, took a catalog home and brought in another HUGE order the next day. I got my family addicted, (mom, two aunts and my grandmother) and we weren't happy with our demo so they talked me into being a demo. That was 5 years ago and I'm still a demo and even more addicted to stamping!

Fun Facts: I LOVE to read! I read anything Nora Roberts writes, as Nora Roberts or as JD Robb. I also like Catherine Coulter and Debbie Macomber. I love a good romance, but I also love a good murder mystery and it's even better when the two are combined like Nora Roberts does! I will read anything but really scary (Stephen King type books). I also loved the Harry Potter books and am going to start reading the Twilight series. My favorite color is pink, I am a coffee addict and I also love sports. I am a football fanatic, but also enjoy basketball, tennis..well, there's not much I won't watch but baseball tends to be boring to watch on tv, but I love going to a game! People watching at sporting events is so fun!!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

A lot of readers in this group! I read all the time too. I prefer mystery type books but will read almost anything. I always have one book I am reading and another close by so there is no time without a book. I just finished the second Twlight book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimdepView Post

Family: I am single and haven't been married, but I am eagerly awaiting a ring from my boyfriend. Hopefully by summer. He has two kids, a son who will be 15 in a few weeks and a daughter who is 12, but they live in South Dakota with their mother. I've met them and we all like each other so that's a relief! We also just adopted a kitten together, Zoey, (my avatar). We got her after his cat he'd had for 3 years ran away while he was moving. The day after he brought Zoey home he got a phone call saying "I think I found your cat". So, Apollo is now back home after being missing 7 weeks and is REALLY not happy about Zoey. Hopefully, that issue goes away soon and everybody plays nicely!

How the addiction began: I had always thought stamping sounded fun, but I had no idea how to get started. Then my best friend invited me to a SU party and I was a goner! I put in an order at her party, took a catalog home and brought in another HUGE order the next day. I got my family addicted, (mom, two aunts and my grandmother) and we weren't happy with our demo so they talked me into being a demo. That was 5 years ago and I'm still a demo and even more addicted to stamping!

Fun Facts: I LOVE to read! I read anything Nora Roberts writes, as Nora Roberts or as JD Robb. I also like Catherine Coulter and Debbie Macomber. I love a good romance, but I also love a good murder mystery and it's even better when the two are combined like Nora Roberts does! I will read anything but really scary (Stephen King type books). I also loved the Harry Potter books and am going to start reading the Twilight series. My favorite color is pink, I am a coffee addict and I also love sports. I am a football fanatic, but also enjoy basketball, tennis..well, there's not much I won't watch but baseball tends to be boring to watch on tv, but I love going to a game! People watching at sporting events is so fun!!
I love Nora Roberts and JD Robb.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Family: DH and I have been married for going on 12 years (giving the amount of time is a joke between us because I always lose track and he likes to make fun of me for it!) We have 3 kids, ages 9 (boy) and 2 girls 7 and 3 1/2.

Job: I am a nurse, specifically high-risk Labor and Delivery. I have done everything from teach at a University to manage a doctor's office to Public Health. Currently, I am unemployed as working over here is challenging with day care options and DH's deployment schedule.

How the addiction began: I began scrapbooking in 2000 and a friend showed me the alphabet stamps to use instead of stickers (don't you hate when you run out of all of the R's??!) Then we moved to CO in 2003 and a dear friend of mine got me into SU. DH curses her daily! (Just kidding!) I made cards occasionally and then really got into it when DH was in Iraq back in 2006.

Fun facts: I used to Irish Dance before it was made popular by Riverdance! I have walked the Great Wall of China. I am addicted to Facebook! I was a Girl Scout for 12 years. I like to be sarcastic. ;) I am in a large SCS Pen Pal group with Laura, which I love!

I spent 10 days training in Japan when I used to work for Delta. It was so interesting and I wish I had more time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

I love Nora Roberts and JD Robb.

Did you see that a new JD Robb book comes out today? I can't wait to get it!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Did you see that a new JD Robb book comes out today? I can't wait to get it!
No I have not heard but I am checking the website now

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 07:22 AM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

No I have not heard but I am checking the website now

I signed up for her newsletter so I always know when a new book is coming out. She seems to put them out so fast sometimes they're hard to keep up with.
Have you read the Sign of Seven trilogy? OMGosh! I just love her books!!!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I signed up for her newsletter so I always know when a new book is coming out. She seems to put them out so fast sometimes they're hard to keep up with.
No I have not heard about that one. My favorite is the Three Sister.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

That trilogy was a good one.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Ocean's 11 group

I guess I'm next

SCS Member: saved by grace
Name: Karen
blog: www.savedbygraceceations.blogspot.com

I live in: Leonard, MI - about 1 hour North of Detroit

Family: I've been married for 19 years to Mike he is a CPA, volunteer fireman, EMT, and teaches accounting courses online for Baker College. We have two wonderful daughters Sarah is 17, she is a track and cross country runner, Emily is 9 and is very inquisitive, always coming up with great questions, she was recently diagnosed with juvenile arthritis, the meds. seem to be working very well, hope they continue to, we are just happy to have a diagnosis after searching for two years for answers.

Job: I am currently unemployed after 28 years of being a credit and collections manager, (the company I worked for was sold, and relocated to Dallas) at any rate I have been catching up on all the things I was putting aside for so many years, but I would like to find something part time just to help with my feeling of usefulness, and the household finances. I'm trying to wait patiently while God shows me the path He wants me to take.

How the addiction began: I too was invited to a SU demonstration and it was all uphill from there. I love stamping and scrap booking, they are my two favorite outlets, however I do love cross stitch, needlepunch, and many other needlework's.

Fun facts: I have a passion for Christ and bringing others to Him so that others may experience His Grace. I love to travel, watch movie classics (we just watched Fiddler on the Roof, again...and our 9 year old was obsessed with it she has watched twice again since Saturday) I love to see the young ones enjoy the older movies, just shows you why they are classics. Sarah our oldest loves Audrey Hepburn movies, and also Alfred Hitchcock. I too love to cook when I am not rushed. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love to read cookbooks and craft books of any kind.

This is already a great group, I'm so glad to be apart of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I was Girl Scout for 12 years too...I always get teased about it, but they were my best friends and we did everything together... I am so jealous that you have walked the Great Wall Of China, that would be so amazing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I'll forgive you if you forgive me!
ROTFL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #39  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Kim~ My best friend lives in OP and is also an accountant! I have been to that Archivers...and spent a ton!! Hope you get some bling soon as well!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I spent 10 days training in Japan when I used to work for Delta. It was so interesting and I wish I had more time.
Oh cool! What did they have you training for over here?
Reply With Quote Likes