Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scor-Pal vs Score It

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a Scor-Pal and someone stated they have a Score It. What is the difference and which one do you like better?

Thank you,

Missy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

There are multiple threads on this already if you search the forums. The biggest differences between the two are:

Multiple score lines on the bed of the tablet on the Scor-Pal vs. a single score line down the center of the bed on the Scor-It. Price and portability are also pretty different. Scor-Pal also has loads of free tutorials on their site.

I prefer the Scor-Pal.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

i loove my scor-pal! and yes, check their site for lots of cute projects!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a mini Scor-It and the ScorPal. I never could get the right angle when I tried to score with the Scor-It. It has a metal strip that you use to make your scoreline with a wooden tool that has a groove in it. I was always splitting my cardstock at the top/bottom. I love my ScorPal. It is so easy to score your cardstock. I like to make projects with multiple scorelines and the Scor Pal is sooo much easier to use. I am not good at math but I seem to be able to figure out what score measurements to use on the Scor Pal.

I should have saved the money I spent on the Scor-it. (It is stuck away in a closet) You should see if you can try both and decide which one best fits your 'style'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I have a mini Scor-It and the ScorPal. I never could get the right angle when I tried to score with the Scor-It. It has a metal strip that you use to make your scoreline with a wooden tool that has a groove in it. I was always splitting my cardstock at the top/bottom. I love my ScorPal. It is so easy to score your cardstock. I like to make projects with multiple scorelines and the Scor Pal is sooo much easier to use. I am not good at math but I seem to be able to figure out what score measurements to use on the Scor Pal.

I should have saved the money I spent on the Scor-it. (It is stuck away in a closet) You should see if you can try both and decide which one best fits your 'style'.

Looking at the scor it, I thought that happening was a possibility. Thanks for letting us know ur expirence. I am in the same spot trying to decide between the scor-pal and scor it.. So many products to pick from now a days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 04:01 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I own both also....

I score ALL card using the ScorIt....and use the ScorPal for all other construction type activities...

Love them both.

I probably totally underuse the ScorIt...Never had a problem with using the tool.....

Michelle

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I have both also. I have had the Scor-it for several years and purchased the Scor-Pal about 8 or 9 months ago. I have never had a problem with cutting my paper with the Scor-It and I think it makes a nicer score than the Scor-Pal. The Scor-Pal is easier to use especially for projects with multiple score lines. It is also a lot lighter weight than the Scor-It. I leave my Scor-It out on my cutting table so tend to use it more often for just scoring a card. Like an earlier poster said, I like them both but for different things. If I only had one, I would probably buy the Scor-Pal since I think it is more versatile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I'm like shellpole, I use the It everyday and the Pal is gathering dust waiting for the day when I'll do a big project. I just like how the It scores. Very nice and deep while the Pal rips when I try to get the safe effect. Go to Archivers if you have one and they have both.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Puri -

How do you rip your paper on the Scor Pal? The Scor Pal is plastic with grooves for the scorelines and you use a tool with no sharp edges.

This is the problem for me with the Score It because of the metal piece you use to get the scoreline.

Just curious--
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Default Scor-it

I too have the Score-it..and I love it. Of course I don't have the Pal to compare it to. But I have Never Ever ripped any card stock, while I was scoring it and I tend to press pretty hard so I have a good score line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Puri -

How do you rip your paper on the Scor Pal? The Scor Pal is plastic with grooves for the scorelines and you use a tool with no sharp edges.

This is the problem for me with the Score It because of the metal piece you use to get the scoreline.

Just curious--
The only way it's remotely possible to rip paper with the Scor-Pal is if you are holding the tool incorrectly and bearing down way too hard. I've scored computer paper and not torn it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwstamperView Post
I have both also. I have had the Scor-it for several years and purchased the Scor-Pal about 8 or 9 months ago. I have never had a problem with cutting my paper with the Scor-It and I think it makes a nicer score than the Scor-Pal.
Ditto!!! I LOVE my Scor-It!!! I have the mini Scor-It, and it is perfect for my needs. I have never had it tear paper, it's easy to store, the scores are VERY nice, and I just love this little thing. Did I say I love the Scor-It? :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have only the Scor-Pal and love it!!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 05:06 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I prefer the really crisp score you get with the Scor-It - the channel method like the Scor-Pal always seems a bit half-hearted by comparison to me :lol: My only regret is that I didn't shell out for the full version, I only bought the Mini. Maybe my Christmas list just gained an item!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both and as stated previously I like the Scor-It for scoring cards and the Score Pal for multi score projects. However, if I didn't have both, I'd go for the Scor-It....as I do mainly cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
Ditto!!! I LOVE my Scor-It!!! I have the mini Scor-It, and it is perfect for my needs. I have never had it tear paper, it's easy to store, the scores are VERY nice, and I just love this little thing. Did I say I love the Scor-It? :mrgreen:
I've had the full-size Score-It for six or so years, use it on every card, even though the metal strip on mine is crooked a bit in one spot. It's an industrial-strength piece of equipment, built to last forever. In the beginning, I used cheap cardstock and that did tear if I pressed the scoring tool down too hard. But cheap cardstock often "breaks" at the fold line of a card, so I quit using it except for experimenting with a new shape or design.

When a card needs a bit more texture, but no more supply-expense, I score the opening edge with two or 3 close-together vertical score lines. Sometimes I use a marker between or on the lines, if the card needs a bit more color. Mostly I do this on masculine cards that would otherwise look kind of boring.

You'll use the Score-It more than you think. Try scoring two horizontal lines about 1/4 inch apart and piercing a line between your scored lines, as a border at the bottom of a card, or to frame a design. Quite fun to discover no-cost embellishments!
Reply With Quote Likes