Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Non-painting uses for GESSO?

I have a bottle of acrylic gesso that I bought because a friend told me that I needed it for a painting project. I used maybe a tablespoon of it. Now, I've got almost an entire bottle left.

With the exception of an art journal that I play with now and then, I rarely use my craft paints. So, I'm wondering if there are any non-painting uses for it?

I remember reading that someone used it as a substitute for Mod-Podge (a product that I do use now and then). Is it better than Mod-Podge? Or just a so-so substitute?

Thoughts? Ideas? Raves? Boos & Hisses?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't think I'd use it as a sub for Mod Podge. I use it for backgrounds and, yes, prepping surfaces for paints, stains & ink. You can thin it and use it to "tone down" too bright papers. Here's some ideas: Ink Stains: Gesso

A Primer on Gesso (so to speak) | Craft Test Dummies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

It's not exactly non-painting. I use mine quite often for this technique here: Splitcoaststampers - Gesso Resist Technique Tutorial by Lydia Fiedler.
And if you use chipboard shapes at all, a couple of coats of gesso give a good base for colouring with inks, stamping on and so forth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gesso is not a substitute for mod podge. It is a primer that keeps paint from soaking into whatever you are painting. Gel, gloss and matte mediums are substitutes for mod podge to glue down and seal papers to your surface. I will take your gesso, lol.

Maybe a local school could use your gesso and paints (if they have art classes, our schools no longer have art classes).
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Do you really want non-painting uses? Or a little push in the direction of using those neglected supplies? :lol:

A thick layer of gesso will take a textured impression from a stamp which you can then bring out with coloured paints or by spritzing with something like Glimmer Mist. The first attached example is a background stamp pressed into a layer of gesso on a tag which was allowed to dry and then had a couple of acrylic paints rubbed over and then dabbed off the high spots with a baby wipe when almost dry. If you try this, spritz the stamp with water before pressing it into the layer of gesso to help get a clean release and make sure you wash the stamp immediately afterwards as the gesso will dry quickly and is a pain to remove otherwise!

Rubbing gesso over a page from an old book is a good way to tone it down and use it as a background without it dominating the design but still adding visual interest. You can use it this way as a "spotlight" too - second attached example has most of the text page left plain but the area around the little reader has gesso on it so the text is still readable but "fades out" to allow the image to be the focus of attention.

It has, however, just occured to me that your gesso might be clear and that's why it was suggested it might be a substitute for Mod Podge. White gesso is by far and away the most common but you can also get clear, black and grey varieties. It yours is clear then you can probably ignore most of what I just typed!
Attached Thumbnails
Non-painting uses for GESSO?-graphicgesso.jpg   Non-painting uses for GESSO?-littlereader.jpg  

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also check out my crafting idol's blog:
Mel Stampz: "Gesso-Swiping Dry Embossing" Technique (& more Gesso talk for Jamie) :O)

She has a whole section of her blog dedicated to uses for Gesso.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK. I'll hold onto my white Liquitex Basics Acrylic Gesso a little while longer.
I really like the ideas mentioned, especially the "toning down" idea for background papers.

But I think I might have to buy myself a good brand of Patience.

As I read through these replies and thought more about my question, I realized that my problem is that I have no patience (also no talent) for really wet art mediums (ie: craft paints, slow-drying inks, colored sprays). I hate to think what this says about me as a crafter! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes