Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ink

I was wondering if any of the inks that Michael's or Joann's sells are better than others? I use Stayzon for anything black I do but I'm looking for the best brand for colors!

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

This is a long list.

Tim Holtz Distress Inks
Tsukineko Versa lines such as VersaChalk, Versafine.
Tsukineko Memento's
Tsukineko Brilliance
ColorBox Inks

Distress Inks and Versafine are dyebase inks. Memento's are also dye base inks. Memento is the ink you want to choose for Copics or other alcohol markers.
VersaChalk & ColorBox inks are chalk based fast drying pigment inks. Great for clear stamps. Brilliance is a shimmery pigment ink pad. They are really pretty.

Some big box craft stores also sell Adirondack Ink Pads. This is also an excellent dye base ink pad. Lots of Stampscape artists are Adirondack fans.

Michael's & WalMart carry StudioG pigment ink. These are the little $1 cubes you can find in the bins. These are really excellent inks. The only bad thing about them are no refills.

Most big box stores do not carry refills for your inks. You will have to order those online.

That's a start. I am sure our other members will have even better recommendations.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

DeeAnn, just a small correction: I believe Versafine is a pigment ink. It's my favorite ink for stamping images. I use Versafine Onyx all the time. It's especially good for clear stamps and detailed images.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenStamps4FunView Post
I was wondering if any of the inks that Michael's or Joann's sells are better than others? I use Stayzon for anything black I do but I'm looking for the best brand for colors!

Thanks!
About four years ago I decided to get out of the 'ink race.' Took way too much space and money to have every color in all of the ink brands that were on the market. I spent some time figuring out what types of inks I used the most, and which company had the best color selection in those types.

Long story short...I selected Clearsnap. With the exception of alcohol-based inks (solvent inks), Clearsnap has every type of ink available in a wide range of colors. If I do need an alcohol-based ink, I simply blend a bit of 91% rubbing alcohol with a dye-based Clearsnap ink.

I can't tell you how nice it is to use one brand. No more testing each time I purchase another brand; I know exactly what each type offers. Storage is a piece of cake. Another plus...Clearsnap has exceptional customer service.

I'm addicted to re-inkers...not just for reinking pads, but as the handiest coloring agent (brush, sponge, brayer, etc.) possible. Clearsnap has reinkers for all of their inks...one more plus!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
DeeAnn, just a small correction: I believe Versafine is a pigment ink. It's my favorite ink for stamping images. I use Versafine Onyx all the time. It's especially good for clear stamps and detailed images.
Bugga- THANK YOU! Your right Versafine is pigment. I always forget because it's my go to ink for line stamping.

CraftDesigns- I did the same thing getting in the ink race. I love that term. I have gotten a lot of great stamping advice over the years. I took all of the good advice except one which was buy reinkers. I thought Why would I need to buy reinkers? What if I got tired of the colors I had in the stamp pads? Then I had a stamping project to do. An expensive set of stamp pads were dry. Every single one of them. I took care of them too. I learned that lesson the hard way about buying reinkers.

Now, I just use SU with reinkers. Not a demo or anything. I just like the colors. I use Versafine Black Onyx for black stamping. I make all my other inks.

I love the idea about mixing 91% alcohol with dye base ink. Does that technique work well with Copics?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 802 Likes on 326 Posts

I'm with Nancy, I love Clearsnap!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Bugga- THANK YOU! Your right Versafine is pigment. I always forget because it's my go to ink for line stamping.

CraftDesigns- I did the same thing getting in the ink race. I love that term. I have gotten a lot of great stamping advice over the years. I took all of the good advice except one which was buy reinkers. I thought Why would I need to buy reinkers? What if I got tired of the colors I had in the stamp pads? Then I had a stamping project to do. An expensive set of stamp pads were dry. Every single one of them. I took care of them too. I learned that lesson the hard way about buying reinkers.

Now, I just use SU with reinkers. Not a demo or anything. I just like the colors. I use Versafine Black Onyx for black stamping. I make all my other inks.

I love the idea about mixing 91% alcohol with dye base ink. Does that technique work well with Copics?
'Fraid I can't answer the Copic question. I'm in that very small minority of stampers who has NEVER used a Copic. I've been stamping for a bizillion years, and I just don't think I need them. The cost was a factor...thanks to their being another supply that requires non-stop purchases (and storage to handle those purchases).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 802 Likes on 326 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
'Fraid I can't answer the Copic question. I'm in that very small minority of stampers who has NEVER used a Copic. I've been stamping for a bizillion years, and I just don't think I need them. The cost was a factor...thanks to their being another supply that requires non-stop purchases (and storage to handle those purchases).
I've been stamping for 20 years and I have never used a Copic either. My stamp pads are old and still working well. I have forty some colors of Clear Snap, a handful of Brilliance, Encore Metallics, a handful of Distress inks, and Adirondack Dye inks. Allllll the reinkers are in my stash as well. I do all the main stamping with memento black.

I just think that is enough ink. I make nice things and I'm not jumping on any bandwagons for more
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
Thank you for the quick answer. I only have a handful of Copics. I can't jump on the bandwagon either. I have studied Manga for years so it's hard for me to wrap my head around that the Manga marker is now being used for stamping. I love what the stamper's are doing with them. I just can't get past that mental block. I love Copics for illustration. I do use the other alcohol markers like Prisma, Sharpies & Bic's for coloring. I just not a fan of Memento Black. I am always looking for a replacement to use with alcohol markers. I think Memento Black is an off black.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I use memento for my copics (only have a small supply as I use a lot of pencils..) I adore distress ink as they are reactive with water. I use archival inks also as they are waterproof. I don't care for scented pads, or some of the store brands, bu that is personal taste. Try out a few and see what you like. I am not big on the pigment inks, but so many people are. I only have one in white, gold, silver.
Reply With Quote Likes