Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cricut where to buy and what to get

I'm so badly wanting a Cricut Expression. I saw such good deals during Christmas this past year, but did not have the money. I have some saved at the moment and don't think I can wait for the holidays to get one! Can anyone help me out on what kind of bundle is a good deal. There are so many of them and where is a good place to buy?
I am a gift maker on her way to scrapper. I probably don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles at the moment. Help a girl out.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I would get the expression, extra blades, the tool kit, and a package of extra mats....... And a package of cardstock to play with.... You will find lots of great info at the cricut message board

As a personal preference I only use my cricut with design studio software, If you like a computer interface you might want that also

http://www.cricut.com/(X(1)S(tx5wtz5.../messageboard/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

depending on your budget you may want to start out with the original bug. It's smaller and not a lot of bells and whistles. I also vote for the Design Studio, tools and extra mats.

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Walmart has the best prices as far as I know. Hubby got my create for $199, and it's $299 at michaels.

I didn't like design studio, because you can only do stuff using the cartridges you have. With sure cuts a lot (SCAL), you only need one cartridge (there just has to be one in the cricut even though you don't use it). You can make your own shapes, and it cuts any font you have on your computer (you can also get dingbat fonts to cut, which are pictures/shapes) You can use a free program called inkscape to convert jpegs and other file tyes in to SVG's, to cut with scal. You can also find a ton of free svg's by searching on google.

Here are some links to some sites I have bookmarked with free SVG files.
http://freesvgs.blogspot.com/
http://dscrapbookingroom.blogspot.com/
http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/category/cricut/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is an awesome deal!!

http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/cricut-...w|best_sellers

You can choose payments too...

Mine will be here tomorrow.. I got a great deal on some cartridges on Ebay too..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Ditto the Design Studio and mats. I plan to follow up with SCAL, but really enjoy the images on the cartridges I have so far. I do not have the tool kit, but I do have a palette knife I use for getting the paper off the mat.

I've ordered from Custom Crops with good experience. They offer without cartridges, 1 cartridge or 2 cartridges (and you get to pick which cartridge) with the expression. http://www.customcrops.com/index.php
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

HSN is having some crafting shows startin July 9th. I got my Expression along with 5 carts, inks, and some tools for four payments of about $88.00 and shipping was free. I thought it was a great deal. Check online as well, they usually offer the same deals there as on tv. Good luck! This is a great machine!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

HSN for $429.95, free sh, 5 flex pays of $85.99 and you get almost everything...cutting blade, 2 full carts (new Life's a Beach, Doodle charms), 2 Solutions cart ( new Home Decor and Indie Art), plus Jukebox and DS, cutting mat, spatula, markers (basic and primary), instructional dvd, and the Cricut is the Expression and they say there's a 5th cart, but I couldn't see it. Super deal...take a look...it was still available just a few minutes ago (10:49 Al time). They have a few different configurations, but by far this seems to be the biggest and the best. It's worth taking a look at...enjoy!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

OhMyCrafts is the ONLY place that I buy Cricut supplies. Right now you can get the Expression Machine, cutting mat, blades, 3 cartridges and the tool kit for $239 until Sunday. Their cartridges are always on special -- I just ordered 4 more today at a cost of $23 each (again at 20% off). They have a great selection - I ordered today at 2 pm and my order is already processing and will probably be shipped by tomorrow. Great people -- great company. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.ohmycrafts.com/expressionmachine-create.aspx
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Long time Cricut girl. I am one of the originals.

You will upgrade to the Expressions especially because you like to make gifts.

Get extra blades. The Spatula is great. You can use the Making Memories Slice one or the Cricut Spatula.

You don't need the tools. You can get a dental pick to lift your paper. I would recommend that. You can use an old gift card as a scraper. The scissors are Cutter Bee's essentially.

Mats can be made sticky again and the girls, including me, have great recipes on the Cricut board. If you want mine just let me know.

Hold out on Cricut Design Studio that big secret that is being talked about is the new Design Studio.

Sure Cuts Alot will cut any font, coloring page or SVG using your Cricut. It is a really nice program and takes your Cricut through the roof.

If you want Cricut Design Studio you can find it really cheap now. I saw it at JoAnn's the other day for $27.

I bought my Expression at HallmarkScrapbooks: http://www.hallmarkscrapbook.com/

Right now they are running a deal. Cricut Expression with 4 carts, markers, 3 mats and the spatula $349.

Here's the link for the deal: http://www.hallmarkscrapbook.com/pro...la-p-3177.html

Don't forget to check Craig's List. A lot of girls have been getting Cricut Expressions really cheap from there.

The HSN deal is really great too.

HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Thanks all! I really am happy to hear all the wonderful suggestions. I have my eye on the HSN special. Best so far. I have a little bit more saving to do! Does anyone use the jukebox? Will it be worth it to get the design studio in the bundle? Will it work with Vista?
Reply With Quote Likes