Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Prismacolor pencil and odorless mineral spirits...help please!(I posted my attempt!)

(My attempt at this is posted down a little further)

Okay, I am finally trying this awesome technique! I have seen so many great cards in the gallery using the prismacolor pencil and odorless mineral spirits (Gamsol) technique! Well, now I have a few questions (yes, I did print out the instructions from the Sanford art website)...is the color suppose to move VERY easy? Mine doesn't seem too, I use my "stub" and it seems that I have to keep dipping it in the mineral spirits. How wet should the stub or your paper get? Should you see a slight dampness on the paper?

I really appreciate any "detailed" help. Maybe if I get brave, I will try and post the Pansy that I am trying to do.

Thank you!!

Last edited by twinkle; 10-24-2005 at 06:27 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I'm interested too.

I hope anyone with any good insight will post on here. I just ordered the stubs and mineral spirits when I placed an order for some other art supplies. Then I bought the bristol paper at JoAnn's and got the pencils with my 50% off coupon

I also was curious if you have to do it right away, or if the pencil sets up after time. Can you go back and keep blending in a few days? I think we need a Wed. technique on this one!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I think some of the results depend on the paper you use - based on my own experience. And most of the time you do need to use a little "elbow grease". It's nowhere as easy as using the aqua brush or blender pen with reinkers or watercolor crayons/ pencils. But what you do get is an incredible intensity of color and some remarkeable ability to blend colors for shading.

I find that the stump has to be dipped a couple times. And it does work better after sanding off the top section a bit. If you find that your colors aren't blending, try adding a little more. It does help me to start with a fairly intense layer and to move that into the rest of my pic.

I'd advise just practicing on some sample issues. Maybe just stamp on some "mistake" or scrap pieces and just practice a bit.

Hopefully others with even more experience will chime in with advice...

Good luck.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

When I use the mineral spirits, the color moves fairly easily. I do keep dipping my stub in the mineral spirits. I've found the stub useful for blending out the lines I get when I use the pencils. The darker you apply the colored pencil, the more color you can move from that spot. I practiced on scraps of cardstock using different degrees of color to see what would result. I have not noticed damp spots on the paper. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Red face Okay...here is one of my first tries at this (PLEASE...don't laugh at it)

I guess this is the reason why I wanted to post "Teddy", so you can see the "trouble" that I am having. Well, as you can see...you can see my pencil lines. How do you get full coverage without getting the lines? Do you basically just outline the image(s) and move the color inwards? I guess, how do you "add color" without getting the "lines"? I will try "sanding" the stub and practice, practice, practice!!
Attached Thumbnails
Prismacolor pencil and odorless mineral spirits...help please!(I posted my attempt!)-teddy-prisma-mineral-spirtis.jpg  

Last edited by twinkle; 10-24-2005 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Do you color basically the whole image and just use the "stubs" to blend? I am soo confused :confused: , little color and blend (because how I was kind of understanding the instructions, it almost sounded like you outline the image and then blend in towards the center of the image)....or color almost the whole image and blend???

Can anyone clear this up for me???

Pretty please with sugar on top??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:25 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

the few times I've tried this I put most of the color toward the outside of the image, but I don't do a noticable outline. Then when I use the stump I move the color around using a circular motion toward the center of the image and it blends the pencil lines and gives a soft shading with intense color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Thanks! I will try that...not make such an intense line.

I noticed that you are in SE Wisconsin...so am I!! (Milwaukee/Bay View)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazygirl
the few times I've tried this I put most of the color toward the outside of the image, but I don't do a noticable outline. Then when I use the stump I move the color around using a circular motion toward the center of the image and it blends the pencil lines and gives a soft shading with intense color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:37 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinkle
Thanks! I will try that...not make such an intense line.

I noticed that you are in SE Wisconsin...so am I!! (Milwaukee/Bay View)
I'm not too far from you...I'm on the north side of Racine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile My 2 cents worth

I think that when you first try this technique, it would be best if you used smaller images without so much open space. Then it just takes practice as to how much color you need and how much liquid. As mentioned before, it does take some "elbow" grease by rubbing the dampened stump back and forth over the color so as to "break down" the pigment in the color allowing you to spread it some. If you need more color, just pencil heavier. If you get too much color, allow it to dry a little, and take an art eraser and you can erase some of the color.I use a magic rub eraser made be Sanford. Practice, practice. You'll get it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazygirl
I have to agree with what Michele said, when you�re blending make sure to use a circular motion with your stump, and not back and forth�.. that�s how the lines appear.

Also, you don�t want to saturate your stump with OMS (odorless mineral spirits). I found that the solid stumps work better than the rolled ones.

Don�t give up or get discouraged, it takes some getting use to! The first time I tried it�. I completely hated it and now that�s the only way I color my House Mouse and Penny Black hedgies! If I can do it� anyone can do it! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:58 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you all for your tips!!

I am trying a smaller image right now and I will see how that works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 11:43 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

A very helpful tutorial can be found here:

Hoping this helps.

Dancing Rain

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts
Default for what it's worth

This technique is my most favourite and I use it all the time. I think the secret is don't try to colour the whole image the first time . Stamp the image and study it. If you think about it the shading is already there (see your bear) Colour the brown (I would use a slightly darker colour than you have) where the shadows appear on the bear ie. under his arm, chin, legs etc. Dampen your stump - just moist not sopping. Start at the outside in circular or back and forth motions and work toward the edge. Do not use a lot of pressure your stump should slide easily. When you hear a squeaking sound dampen the stump again. The harder you press the more layers of paper you wear off because it's too wet. I like to leave some parts white to give depth and highlights. The paper you use should be fairly smooth - the rougher the paper the harder it is to blend. I sure hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes