Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-17-2005, 08:41 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tile coasters

Can someone please help me? I need detailed instructions on making tile coasters. No matter what I do mine run. I washed the coasters, let them dry overnight. Stamped the images with staz-on, let dry overnight. Colored with colored pencils, went over color with aqua painter, let dry. Several hours later everything had run. Please help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I would try sealing them with a couple of light coats of acrylic sealer. Other threads have also suggested baking, but it you are using an aquapainter I assume whatever your using to color the image is water soluable hence the running. Try the sealer, but remember to do a couple of light coats rather than one heavy coat or else it sill run while it's wet. Hope it helps
Cheryl

My creative therapy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2005, 09:15 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I have made at least 24 coasters recently and haven't had problems with running eexcept when I sprayed the sealer too soon after stamping with too much ink. Make sure you are using tiles that have a slight texture or roughness too them, as opposed to slick and glossy. That seems to help the ink "grab." You do have to spray them with a sealer before using them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Default Coasters

I had the same problem that you had when I first made mine. I had to learn the hard way too. I stamp them, let them dry, color them in, (I have used Sharpie's and SU markers) let them dry, then I seal them with at least 3 light layers of Krylon Clear Acrylic. That seemed to do the trick, I only made one as a tester that time so I didn't waste time or the tiles. I put water on them and smeared with my finger, then the big test, I wiped it down with a wet dishcloth. Nothing smeared. Good Luck!!!!

Last edited by Cindygrammy2; 12-17-2005 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2005, 08:25 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for your responses. I do use the sealer, but they run before I get to that step. After coloring, I let them dry before baking and sealing, that's when they run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2005, 09:20 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

hello, i had the run problem too. i found if i stamped the image, waited overnight, used chalk to color them, then (very)light coats of spray coating, letting each dry before reapplying, then i had success. also a great tip, use rolled marble tiles. they are unsealed and very porus!
i am curious about the baking process, if you have any info on this..., thanks, brenna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2005, 05:40 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

I think you should skip the washing. Tile is extremly pourus, it will hold that water for more than overnite. All I have done to mine is wipe the dust off with a dry towel, no problems with anything.
Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Default Guaranteed method to use with tile coasters and no spraying

I have the perfect solution!!!!!
having had surgery on my lungs twice now, I cannot use the sealers that everyone is talking about.

Here is a NO SEALER NEEDED SOLUTION and it works beautifully.........

Use stamping ups CRAFT INKS. Stamp your image with black Staz On , apply color using Q-tips and craft inks. BAKE TILES FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR @300 to 350 degrees.Nothing can harm your picture now. We did everything possible to abuse these tiles after baking.

The great thing about the SU craft ink pads is the choice of colors you have and, this is the best part, the colors are softer, more like you water colored you image and you can actually blend colors. I did close to 50 tiles for christmas gifts and they were stunning if I do say so myself. Again, they looked like watercolor paintings. I did not care for the Staz-on because it gives such a bold harsh look and it is almost impossible to blend nicely.

One important thing, I DID STAMP MY IMAGE IN BLACK STAZ-ON, and then colored in with the STAMPINGUP CRAFT PADS.

I even did one set of tiles with one of SU stamp sets that was a girl holding a bouquet of flower and pots of flowers all around her, very small and tiny areas to color in and with the Q-tips it turned out beautiful.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I made about 100 coasters for Christmas gifts and all of them turned out great. I use an unglazed tile from Home Depot. I clean both sides with a damp cloth and let dry for at least 5 hours or overnight is simplest (plan ahead). I stamp the image with either black or brown stazon and give it a few minutes to dry. I color the image with Stampin' Pastels and sponge make up applicators (you need plenty of these because they break down with use). The little eraser in the Pastels also works great in case you color outside the lines. Then I finish with two coats of Krylon Matte Finish. There's also a gloss finish but I like Matte. You can get it in the spray paint section at WalMart for a couple of dollars and it is water resistant. It really makes the colors come alive when you spray the sealer on. If you use markers for coloring, I would use the SU Journalers because they are not water based. Hope some of this helps.

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2006, 11:21 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

wow, i have tried making these before, and it just would not work, and i had no idea why. i read on another website how to do this, and it didn't say that you couldn't use the smooth tiles. and thats what i was using. thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a question. I would like to try this, but I am confused about the tiles. What type of tiles are you using and where can I get them?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought the tiles at Home depot. I used my pants to wipe off the dust then stamped the image with staz on. I gave it a few minutes to dry then colored with stampin' pastels. The thicker the coat of chalk the better. Next I used one of my versamark pad and blotted it all over the tile. Make sure the entire top is covered. Next pour clear embossing powder on it. You can set it 2 ways. Either use your heat gun or broil in the oven for a couple of minutes. You can tell when it is melted. With it being embossed, you cannot use it for hot pans or anything like that. It will remelt the embossing powder.

As an FYI, I used the All Natural stamp set with red, green, yellow, orange chalk. It turned out very nice. Also, keep in mind that your versamark pad will change color. The more you do, the uglier the versamark.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I buy only the tumbled tiles (find them usually at Lowe's). I've never had a problem with using the StazOn for the main image and use Fabrico markers (SU used to sell these) to color in the image. Never a need to do anything else. Since I don't need to seal them, they remain absorbent.

I have tiles that are a few years old, use them all the time and they look as nice as the day I made them.

Diane

P.S. The small 2x2 tiles with a heavy duty magnet on the back, make great refrigerator magnets!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #14  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

I get mine at Home Depot too. I have been wiping them down with a rag dampened with rubbing alcohol... gets 'em REALLY clean! Then I let them sit overnight. Stamped my image with StazOn and colored with whatever was handy. There are SOOOO many sharpie colors now, I have even used some of those!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you to all of you, I am on my way to Home Depot! I am going to give this a try!
Reply With Quote Likes