Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #801  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've searched this thread and can't find the original post that lists the use for the silicone. Exactly what are you using it for?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #802  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheap ribbon spooler/ ribbon storage

Hi, i love this thread. I wanted to share one of my favorite thrifty ideas for ribbon storage and "making do with what you have".

For a very long time i wanting the ribbon spooler (Spool n Store system) from Bestcraftorganizer but I just could not justify spending that much along with shipping on what looked like a nifty embroidery floss winder for ribbon. In fact, I tried using an embroidery floss winder with a plastic card, but it didn't work as imagined. Also, small pieces of ribbon would be creased by the card. I even, in desperation, attempted to make my own spooler from polymer clay... a noble effort that... uh... well...you don't even want to know how that turned out LOL!

I still loved the idea of storing ribbon off the spool in a roll and then organizing the rolls in a clear embroidery floss organizer (which is way cheaper than the alternative). So how to wind the ribbon? The answer was right in my stash (probably is in yours too): a paper quilling tool! I use one from a Cuttlebug flower quilling set and it has a nice cushioned grip to boot.

All you do is take your strand of ribbon (off the spool) and place an end of ribbon in the quilling tool. Then curl to form a small roll and place your thumb and forefinger on the roll- one at the top to make sure the roll is even and one on the ribbon roll to give a slight tension. You just roll the ribbon with the other hand turning the quilling tool as if you were rolling paper. In less than a minute or two, you have a spool of ribbon in a neat roll. The tool should come out easily and you have a neat rolled ribbon roll that can easily be stored in a floss organizer (or similar compartment organizer).

The rolls store well in the floss organizer and don't unravel when the lid is opened. Usually they are constrained by the compartments even if they want to unravel. Also, using the roll is really simple and it usually remains coiled (even satin ribbon), but if it should unravel, just grab your quilling tool.

It's worked really well for me and I couldn't be happier-- especially knowing that I have given a tool a dual purpose. Also, no creases to my ribbon stored this way. I can easily see a whole bunch of ribbon at one time, even through the clear lid and it makes it portable and stackable too. You can even organize/store the ribbon by color or type in separate boxes.

I haven't tried this method with very wide ribbon (over 1.5") but so long as you guide the roll, the quilling tool method should work. The storage for wide ribbon is a bit trickier.

I hope this helps someone with the same storage dilemma and tool envy.

Cheers,
Doreen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #803  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a GREAT idea, Doreen! And I have one of those nice cushion-y Cuttlebug quilling tools, too! In fact, I think I have a couple, since their quilling die sets each came with a tool.
Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #804  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jah636View Post
I've searched this thread and can't find the original post that lists the use for the silicone. Exactly what are you using it for?
I am using silicone glue to give dimension to my projects. I got the idea from our UK girls who do a lot of 3D decoupauge. The decopauge projects the UK girl create always have the most beautiful finished height on their projects. I just never could recreate that with pop dots or foam tape. When you look at the side of the projects you see a pretty clear glue finish instead of a bunch of foam.

Silicone glue is excellent for adding embellishments to your projects. I like it better than hot glue because I have lupus so my hands get wobbly and I tend to burn myself with hot glue. I find silicon glue safer to use.

I also use it for my jewelry work and some of my other art work that is not paper crafting. I don't think silicone glue is acid free. I don't recommend it for heirloom projects.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #805  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you DeeAnn for the explanation. I have some silicone in my stash that I use with my stained glass and broken china work. I'm going to give it a try.

I just love the crafting community. It's wonderful that everyone wants to share ideas and techniques.

Hugs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #806  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

that is awesome! you could store them in any divided comparment plastic box too! I'll have to try it with my loose ribbon!

PS does anyone else get a "malishious website" warning when they click over here from the subscription email? It happens to me every time, even on the weekly inkling email.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2012, 04:30 AM   #807  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Carol and Lindsay. Yes, pretty much any container with compartments would work. I have used small fishing tackle boxes for small rolls of ribbon and those $2.00 Darice organizers that you'd find in the jewelry section. I also use a box that came with some heating tool tips (similar to the one sold with the heat gun).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #808  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I am using silicone glue to give dimension to my projects. I got the idea from our UK girls who do a lot of 3D decoupauge. The decopauge projects the UK girl create always have the most beautiful finished height on their projects. I just never could recreate that with pop dots or foam tape. When you look at the side of the projects you see a pretty clear glue finish instead of a bunch of foam.

Silicone glue is excellent for adding embellishments to your projects. I like it better than hot glue because I have lupus so my hands get wobbly and I tend to burn myself with hot glue. I find silicon glue safer to use.

I also use it for my jewelry work and some of my other art work that is not paper crafting. I don't think silicone glue is acid free. I don't recommend it for heirloom projects.
Do you have an example of this that you could share here? I have never seen dimensional decoupage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #809  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everybody and his brother was out shopping this weekend, DeeAnn. I didn't get to Staples as it's in Stanley, KS and I had to go in the opposite direction -- I was taking a class on sun development paper up at the Discovery Center by the Plaza Shopping Center. You remember where that's at, right? But I'll get there eventually.

A girlfriend and I found a freebie online for videos, only I had to watch the videos online first before I could save them in another format. That defeats the purpose of me saving them on my flash drive to watch at home. Does the program you found for me require me to do the same thing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #810  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Do you have an example of this that you could share here? I have never seen dimensional decoupage.
I don't have any examples in my stash right now. I gave them all away. Digging through my stash I am low on everything. I need to get busy. Glad you asked for an example. Didn't realize how sad my creation box is looking.

I read this blog and she has a good example-

The House at Pooh Corner: ABC Blog Hop and Sneak Peak Day 3. She has a good side pic of her creations so you can see how pretty the dimension is.

I hope that is a good example. If not let me know. I am fighting a migraine so I just made a quick grab out of my blog reader.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #811  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush'd LadyView Post
Everybody and his brother was out shopping this weekend, DeeAnn. I didn't get to Staples as it's in Stanley, KS and I had to go in the opposite direction -- I was taking a class on sun development paper up at the Discovery Center by the Plaza Shopping Center. You remember where that's at, right? But I'll get there eventually.

A girlfriend and I found a freebie online for videos, only I had to watch the videos online first before I could save them in another format. That defeats the purpose of me saving them on my flash drive to watch at home. Does the program you found for me require me to do the same thing?
Stop making me homesick, lol. I miss the Plaza so much. My DH is going up to Kansas today for work. I am so jealous because storms are moving in. I am so excited for him because he might see his first real Kansas storm and Kansas wall cloud. He has never been in a real Kansas storm. I told him plenty of pics. He wants to take me but his boss would fall over laughing watching me carry industrial construction supplies around. The furthest my DH has ever been in Kansas is Olathe, lol.

I am going to try and go to SantaCaligon. It falls on my B-day. We are buying a new car so it's one of those up and the air things right now. We are moving to the NW Coast soon so we want to see KC one last time because once we move we won't come back. A lot of our friends are up in KC so we want to say goodbye.

Well we can all tell I am homesick, lol.

Here's some tutorials I found for saving YouTube videos-

Save YouTube Videos To Your Hard Drive - Wired How-To Wiki

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #812  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

I don't have any examples in my stash right now. I gave them all away. Digging through my stash I am low on everything. I need to get busy. Glad you asked for an example. Didn't realize how sad my creation box is looking.

The House at Pooh Corner: ABC Blog Hop and Sneak Peak Day 3. She has a good side pic of her creations so you can see how pretty the dimension is.

I hope that is a good example. If not let me know. I am fighting a migraine so I just made a quick grab out of my blog reader.
Good link. I just wanted to add that this blog uses decoupage sheets but you can use any image you have or of which you can make a multiple. Here is one I did with multiple sheets from a DP pad. Krikey Kreations: Hmm Happy Mother's Day?

Last edited by RiverIsis; 08-08-2012 at 04:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #813  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thank you. It is a perfect example. In fact, I have done such a thing---not for a card, but for pictures for my kids' room way back when. (I attached a picture.) I used wrapping paper and foam tape, but the idea was the same. Never thought about doing it on a card. I also used to do lots of decoupage, but it was a totally different process, so I never connected them. When I did decoupage, the idea was to make it very smooth under layers of finish, usually on wood. I'm excited to give this a try with stamped images.
Attached Thumbnails
Ways to make do instead of  buy new-clowns-1.jpg   Ways to make do instead of  buy new-clowns-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #814  
Insane Embellisher

I had never heard of silicone glue before. I thought this was a great "for beginners" article on 3D decoupage: The Craft Corner How to 3D Decoupage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #815  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhereView Post
I had never heard of silicone glue before. I thought this was a great "for beginners" article on 3D decoupage: The Craft Corner How to 3D Decoupage
Unfortunately, for some reason, I cannot open your link. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #816  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Good link. I just wanted to add that this blog uses decoupage sheets but you can use any image you have or of which you can make a multiple. Here is one I did with multiple sheets from a DP pad. Krikey Kreations: Hmm Happy Mother's Day?
I use a lot of Decopauge sheets. ;) I started paper crafting backwards. I did digital and then went to stamping. I discovered the UK girls were making these beautiful creations that were jaw dropping with these sheets. I was just all over that, lol. That's how I ended up with my first die cutter so I could make the same creations. I bought a Wishblade and then I took off. I never thought I would get into stamping. I make my own decopauge sheets now. The UK girls kept talking about silicone glue, silicone glue, silicone glue. Of course I didn't know what the heck they were talking about and too shy to ask if they could translate. It only took me five years to figure it out. You can all stop laughing now.

It took me two years to figure out what cotton wool was.

jeanne- I got the link open so maybe it was glitching. I read the article.

That is a really good starter article. I wish I seen it five years ago, lol. I did this all the hard way. I have cut out my decopauge sheets by hand. Most of the time I use my Cameo now. It's a lot easier to manual cut with a swivel knife like the Coluzzle. Move your paper and not the knife when cutting. If that makes sense. I am still fighting my migraine. A good pair of surgical scissors help too for the teeny tiny spots. You can use cuticle scissors too but I got my surgical scissors cheaper. I wanted a good quality pair. I ended up with three in different styles. I would be devastated if I lost them.

Last edited by lylacfey; 08-08-2012 at 11:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #817  
Embossing Fanatic

it is probably your pop-up blocker. try holding ctrl as you click
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #818  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks, Everyone. It opened without a problem this morning! Great resource.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #819  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by GdoreenView Post
Hi, i love this thread. I wanted to share one of my favorite thrifty ideas for ribbon storage and "making do with what you have".
I'm gonna use your ribbon idea, I just have it all in a tangly mess in a box!

One of my workplaces was a small, non-profit office that had been around 60+ years. Someone was assigned to finally clean out the backroom where all the outdated office supplies had been stored. I was able to pinch an older date stamp--the kind with the wheels to manually change the day/month/year, AND a "vintage" Dymo label maker--the one you have to turn the wheel & click the handle to get a letter. These really add an "old-school" touch to my projects and they were free!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #820  
Mad Swapper

Thank you for commenting on my card. I'm going to upload another one that is folded a little bit more this afternoon.

I used to be in an ATC club and often made samples of things together. One was a chipboard "charm" covered in foil tape. She made little squares of chipboard for all of us about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch square, then we glued on a smaller chipboard shape to the square, then covered the whole thing with a piece of foil tape, wrapping the extra around to the back and making sure it stuck well on the back. Then we added a little extra square piece to the back for a cover. Turned it back around and used a bone folder to push the foil tape around the shape so that it looked embossed and then whanged the heck out of it with Tim Holtz' distressing hammer -- the BB head attachment. To attach it to a notebook, we were given little ball chains & told to punch one of the corners. We also used black alcohol ink to "antique" the metal. Looked pretty cool!

Sweet sponge daubers!

Lindsay, do you play all day in your basement studio? You sure churn out the work! Must be you are really organized?

Do like I do -- I save my expensive scrapbook paper for my scrapbooks and buy ends of wallpaper rolls and borders from thrift stores and my friend's garage sales. I have a 5 gallon bucket leftover from laundry powder that holds my rolls in an upright position. Wallpaper isn't acid-free, so is perfect for cards!

I'm tape-runner challenged -- have you ever seen a snot string? Yep, that's me, so I like my double face tape!

I wonder if that Window tape would work on fun foam sheets just like your scor-tape? It has paper on one side, so the sticky wouldn't get contaminated before I cut it up to use as foam dots. I do purchase the foam tape when I can find it cheap. Our dollar store doesn't always carry it on a regular basis. I have purchased the little foam tapes that are supposed to go under wall hooks in the bathroom there too.

Someone gifted me with a mini-score-it, but have scored cardstock on my Fiskars paper trimmer before with a scoring blade. Works like a charm.

My son, at one time, had one of those woodburner tools, but I'm not sure if he still has it. And my hubbin says he has a dremel tool, but doesn't know where it's at currently. Knowing his family, I'd say somebody borrowed it and "forgot" to bring it back, so it still doesn't do me any good, however, I think I'm going to look at Harbor Freight the next time we're there and see if they have one cheap I can purchase for my tool box.

And last but not least, I asked the computer geek at the library about the video converter. He said that the library computer firewalls prevent me from downloading any software programs, so I'm stuck and despite my good intentions, technically saving others videos from the internet is considered stealing, so I guess I won't be doing that anytime soon. Unless, I could convince Lindsay to copy her videos on a CD for me. I'd pay! What say you?

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 08-23-2012 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: forgot what I previously added to thread due to addled brain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #821  
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=Karen Campbell;19608696]I'm gonna use your ribbon idea, I just have it all in a tangly mess in a box!

Yay! I hope it works well for you. For thicker ribbon or if you don't have a quilling tool... a round chop stick or thin dowel with a slit sawed on one end (sanded a little bit to avoid snags) will work. I saved a bunch of nice rounded chop sticks for a project and turned one of them into a makeshift ribbon winder. The quilling tool works very well for satin ribbon, sheer/organza, seam binding and thin grosgrain ribbon, but I had a bit of trouble fitting in some thicker 2 tone grosgrain ribbon. So, out came the chopstick... works well.

Also, try cupping the ribbon with your fingers as you wind, goes quickly that way and keeps it neat. I found that I could hang some of the ends of the ribbon outside the box and the tension was just right that the plastic organizer acted like a ribbon dispenser (similar to the store bought item), but I didn't want the ends out so I decided to keep it rolled up inside instead.

Lastly, for those smaller rolls, I use regal clips (polished square paper clips) to keep them put.

Enjoy your vintage supplies. Both sound like they would be awesome for scrapbooking-- especially the date stamper.

Cheers,
Doreen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #822  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Do like I do -- I save my expensive scrapbook paper for my scrapbooks and buy ends of wallpaper rolls and borders from thrift stores and my friend's garage sales. I have a 5 gallon bucket leftover from laundry powder that holds my rolls in an upright position. Wallpaper isn't acid-free, so is perfect for cards!

I'm tape-runner challenged -- have you ever seen a snot string? Yep, that's me, so I like my double face tape!

I wonder if that Window tape would work on fun foam sheets just like your scor-tape? It has paper on one side, so the sticky wouldn't get contaminated before I cut it up to use as foam dots. I do purchase the foam tape when I can find it cheap. Our dollar store doesn't always carry it on a regular basis. I have purchased the little foam tapes that are supposed to go under wall hooks in the bathroom there too.
I get my wallpaper books for free. My DH's boss begs my DH to take them. He's tells my DH "Here take thirty!" Thirty! I don't want thirty wallpaper books, lol.

Window tape works with fun foam. It sticks really good.

I sent you PM's. I am sorry if I sounded grumpy. I sent a couple of PM's to friends and sound like a grump bucket. I am getting over a migraine. I am in a happy go lucky mood but I am tired. When I am tired it comes out grumpy.

I get the snot goobers to with my tape runners but I don't with my ATG. I love double sided tape. I will always use it but I am glad to have my ATG because it is more cost effective for me. It took awhile for me to really like it since I got a bad batch of tape. I also use the ATG tape by itself because the gun is huge and I work in miniatures a lot so I can't get a good application of glue on a tiny piece. You don't need a big gun with the ATG. For me I have better control of the tape when I use it without the gun. I do like my gun when working with large projects. I always keep a roll of loose tape at my desk with my gun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #823  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Lindsay, do you play all day in your basement studio? You sure churn out the work! Must be you are really organized?

And last but not least, I asked the computer geek at the library about the video converter. He said that the library computer firewalls prevent me from downloading any software programs, so I'm stuck and despite my good intentions, technically saving others videos from the internet is considered stealing, so I guess I won't be doing that anytime soon. Unless, I could convince Lindsay to copy her videos on a CD for me. I'd pay! What say you?
Hi Dolores,
I wish I spent all day in my studio! In the summer I sneak down there when I can, the kids have an art area, pool table, pinball machine and ping-pong as well as an old Nintendo to play down there and my basement opend to an ample backyard so I might be able to squeeze in an hour a day in the summer. In the school year I divide my time between my personal crafting, stuff headed to magazines and my graphic design (to pay the bills) oh yeah, and housework

The window tape shuld work for shakers.

Unforetunatly I delete all of my videos from my computer after I upload them, I'd have to download them and I have about 100, I don't think my computer would run smoothly with so many videos on there, that is why I delete them after I upload. Maybe you could bring your laptop to chruch and use their wifi and download a few at a time then delete them when you are done so you don't fill up your computer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #824  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
Hi Dolores,
I wish I spent all day in my studio! In the summer I sneak down there when I can, the kids have an art area, pool table, pinball machine and ping-pong as well as an old Nintendo to play down there and my basement opend to an ample backyard so I might be able to squeeze in an hour a day in the summer. In the school year I divide my time between my personal crafting, stuff headed to magazines and my graphic design (to pay the bills) oh yeah, and housework
That is a gaming geeks heaven! ! I craft while I game. My DH & I are Xboxer's. I am a computer gamer. I would love to get a small analog TV and set it up at my desk with an old Nintendo. I am a Nintendo geek. I think that would be heaven crafting while playing old Nintendo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #825  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

That is a gaming geeks heaven! ! I craft while I game. My DH & I are Xboxer's. I am a computer gamer. I would love to get a small analog TV and set it up at my desk with an old Nintendo. I am a Nintendo geek. I think that would be heaven crafting while playing old Nintendo.
Just curious, how does one craft and game? Seems like I don't have enough hands to just craft sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #826  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Just curious, how does one craft and game? Seems like I don't have enough hands to just craft sometimes.
Not to answer for her, but I know in the past we have had many your turn then my turn games and TBH I wish I had something else to do whilst waiting for my turn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #827  
Die Cut Diva

Like River Isis said. !

If I am doing an RPG with friends I will craft while we game.

Computer and console games I will complete a game level, work on a section of my crafting for a few minutes, go back and complete another game level, work on another section of my crafting. I really love this because I am not rushed waiting for something to dry or set up or all those other what nots in crafting.

Puzzle books I usually do two puzzles while I am doing my paperwork and reading for the day so that doesn't go into my crafting time.

My DH crafts too while he games. His system is a bit different. He games an hour, crafts an hour. If I am gaming with him then I usually do this too.

River Isis- Love your quote! I just noticed it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #828  
Matboard Maniac

All the calendars sent out each year can be used for punch outs or envelope liners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #829  
Crimping Master

Default DIY craft desk

Hi Girls,
Yesterday I re did my craft desk, it went from this:

To this:

I have a hollow core door on 2 saw-horses and there are storage cubes under there then I got 3 cinder blocks from lowes and put them on the back to make a shelf. Now I have much more rroom and I can reach my stuff! I have a video on the prosses on my blog but I have been tond lot to post links to direct posts so just click the link in my siggy and it will take you there what a difference $5 worth of cinder blocks can make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #830  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Hi Girls,

I have a hollow core door on 2 saw-horses and there are storage cubes under there then I got 3 cinder blocks from lowes and put them on the back to make a shelf. Now I have much more rroom and I can reach my stuff! I have a video on the prosses on my blog but I have been tond lot to post links to direct posts so just click the link in my siggy and it will take you there what a difference $5 worth of cinder blocks can make!
Great job! I love the way you seem to have everything right at your finger tips. This is what I want to do with my room. It seems I'm always having to get up, go around my tables and look for what I need. I would at least like to be able to reach my ink pads without having to get up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #831  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts
Smile

That is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #832  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a window with great light where my work table is, so all my supplies are housed in cabinets, closets and drawers that I have to get up and use. Actually, I'm not complaining about this as I have a great open workspace and get some needed exercise getting up and down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #833  
Die Cut Diva

I love Lindsay's studio. It's a big playground for artists.

When I was growing up my parents had a basement dedicated to crafting. It even had separate rooms. One room my Dad used for his work and the other my Mom used for hers. The rest of the basement was set up with large walkin closets for supplies. The main room was used for supplies and larger work since my parents worked in large scale. I have a fondness for basement studios.

My studio is one room I share with my husband, rabbit & turtle. I love it a lot. I use it as a big supply closet since my DH & I craft out in the living room so we can game and watch the animals play. My desk is out in the living room with my most used supplies. When I need things I grab a basket and bring them out to the living room. I have to walk around the corner, ROFL! I get a lot of exercise.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #834  
Crimping Master

thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #835  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Hi Girls,
What's in all those 3-ring binders??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #836  
Mad Swapper

�Dee Ann, went to Staples the other night and all we could find was the store brand in regular clear tape. They did not have double-face tape except for the Scotch brand which was 2 refills for $10.00.
Then we went to a liquidation store and I found a GE brand 2.8 fl. Oz (82.8mL) tube of Silicone clear caulk (see photo below). Is this caulk appropriate to use? I only paid $1.99 for it. On the back, the caution said to use in a well-ventilated area.
I also found a package of closet pole covers for 49 cents and brought it home to fill with � dollar store kitchen sponge to make my own pouncers. Love the big size. Then went to Home Depot to see if I could find the smaller size chair tips. Found a package of four for $2.01 with tax. I only had two round makeup sponges, so cut two circles from another kitchen sponge and stuck them in. I had to use a table knife to get the sides in as I don't have pretty nails!
Attached Thumbnails
Ways to make do instead of  buy new-silicone_sponge.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #837  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Is this caulk appropriate to use? I only paid $1.99 for it. On the back, the caution said to use in a well-ventilated area.
Looks fine to me. Silicone caulking gives of acetic acid as it cures. I don't think limited exposure is going to do you any harm but it smells FOUL (think really strong vinegar) so good ventilation is certainly a good idea!

Your sponge daubers look great!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #838  
Die Cut Diva

Ugh! Stupid Staples, lol. One store carries one thing and the other doesn't. The Staples in Springfield at Primrose Marketplace had the tape in a large box setting on a bottom shelf. I don't recall the price. I hardly shop at Staples. I was buying the gloss paper used for Copics that day. You can get a big ream for $10. I am tired and I forgot the brand name already. I am sure somebody remembers. It's in the Copic threads over here. I hit Staples when I run low on paper. I like their sticker paper. I go in there to drool over the 12x12 printers. I don't know why I just don't buy one. The printers are affordable now & I can use a CIS system in it. Well, my B-day is coming up. I better be good my DH bought me two dolls today for an early B-day present.

I think it was this thread or a thread over here that one of the ladies uses Staples store brand double sided tape and she loves it. You can find good deals on Ebay too.

I think that is the silicone you can use. I can't tell from the pic. I am 90% sure that is it. My tube is three times larger than that. I paid under $3.00 for it. I like your tiner tube. Since I am going to be making some Decoden in the next few weeks I am glad to have the big tube of silicone. I am making some stamps too. The tiny tube would be nice to throw in my box and skip the syringe.

I agree with Joanne it does smell like vinegar. I have a sensitivity to smell. Silicone smell does not bother me. I really thought it would. The smell dissipates quickly.

I love your daubers!!!!! I really love them. So darn cute. You can stick a large variety of sponges in them. I "scoffed" at daubers. I mean them that teasing everyone Then I used a dauber and I love them now. I don't want to be dauberless.

Can you get a hold of PVC pipe? If you can saw the PVC pipe down you can get a lot of sponge daubers for practically pennies in different sizes. You sand the hard edges of the PVC pipe if your worried about rough edges. My DH brought home a slew of PVC pipes but I gave them to a friend for a project he was working on.

If you can get your hands on a large sheet of acrylic you can saw that down for your own acrylic blocks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #839  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen CampbellView Post
What's in all those 3-ring binders??
clear and unmounted stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #840  
Mad Swapper

My husband thot of the PVC pipe too, Deeann, when he saw my daubers. And he found his dremel tool, so we're off to Harbor Freight to find a saw blade to go in it. I'll let you know how it works on the posts on the VCR covers. And I'm going to keep looking for the double face tape.
Reply With Quote Likes