Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help please

How in the world do you find measurements such as 4 7/16 on the scor-pal? I've come across several projects where the measurements are with 16's and I am clueless how to do this. I can't use my trimmer either because I don't have a score blade. Can anyone help me?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Dirty Dozen Alumni

For your example, line the left edge of your paper in between the 1/2" mark and the 5/8" mark on the left side of the board, and then score at 5" you should have a score at 4 7/16 inches.

HTH

Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up Measuring and Scoring on the Scor-Pal

I work in a fabulous paper arts store in Los Gatos, CA, called Only the Best. I teach classes using the Scor-Pal and I think it is one of the most exciting paper arts tools on the market. The following is how I teach my customers to score "obscure" measurements, like 2 7/16" or 5 3/8". There are two things you need to do.

1) Ask yourself, what is the next whole number? If you need to score at 2 7/16", then the next whole number is 3. You will use the 3" score line. If you need to score at 5 3/8", then the next whole number is 6. You will use the 6" score line.

2) Now you need to slide your paper to the right. Ask yourself, what is 1 (or 16/16, or 8/ minus the fraction? In other words, what is 16/16 minus 7/16? Answer: 9/16. What is 8/8 minus 3/8? Answer: 5/8. The answer is where you place the left edge of your paper. Finding 5/8" is easy since the Scor-Pal is marked into 8ths between 0 and 1 inch. When finding a fraction with a 16 denominator, pretend there are imaginary lines between the 8th markings.

So, when scoring at 2 7/16", you place your paper at the 9/16" position on the left side of the Scor-Pal and score at at the 3" groove. When scoring at 5 3/8", move the left edge of your paper to 5/8" and score at the 6" groove.

If you make a bunch of nugget boxes, you'll become at pro at scoring crazy measurements with the Scor-Pal. And, once you master measuring and scoring, there isn't anything you can't do with the Scor-Pal!
Insane Embellisher

The 'mathematical" side of my brain just does not engage (is it like that with all "artsy" people?). The thought of using the Scor Pal is somewhat intimidating. I have been looking at it and know that I evenutally break down. I must admit that your tip on scoring at odd measurements was helpful - and I understood it. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks KraftyKP

My Blog: http://stampscrapandmore.com
Cardstock Collector

I know what you mean "lilsisbet"! The artsy part of my brain sucks up about 85% of my brain, leaving very little room for intelligence. LOL!!!

PLEASE do not be intimidated by the Scor-Pal! It is so easy and fun! Get yourself a bunch of junk paper and practice making nugget boxes using my method (previously posted). It is the best exercise in scoring obscure measurements. After one nugget box you'll be saying, "Oh yeah! This is a piece of cake."

Another thing...what are you people waiting for to buy this thing? We sell it in our store for $41.95 and it is 10x worth its weight in gold. I make it a point to sell at least on a day and every single person that has bought one thinks it ROCKS!
Pearl-ExPert

Default question on large envelope sizes

Hi,
Unless my math is off, I cannot figure out how to make an envelope for a 5.0" square card, nor a 5.5"square card. If I use 5.0 as an example, the instructions for the width work out ok ...... 6 1/4". But for the length, you take 5.0x2 = 10.0, then half the width, (2.50), add this to the 10.0 and you get a paper measurement of 12.5" needed for the length. Now we all know you can only get patterned paper in a 12" square size. (I think). I also like to have a little more room for ribbon and such and would like to go a bit bigger.

Is it possible to make envies with the Scor-pal (the way they do it on the scor-pal website) for cards 5.0" square and larger??

Thanks for any help!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Hi,
Unless my math is off, I cannot figure out how to make an envelope for a 5.0" square card, nor a 5.5"square card. If I use 5.0 as an example, the instructions for the width work out ok ...... 6 1/4". But for the length, you take 5.0x2 = 10.0, then half the width, (2.50), add this to the 10.0 and you get a paper measurement of 12.5" needed for the length. Now we all know you can only get patterned paper in a 12" square size. (I think). I also like to have a little more room for ribbon and such and would like to go a bit bigger.

Is it possible to make envies with the Scor-pal (the way they do it on the scor-pal website) for cards 5.0" square and larger??

Thanks for any help!
You're right about the paper needing to be bigger than what is available if you use the formula posted on the site. However, larger envies can be made. Here is how to make an envelope for a 5 x 5 card:

Begin with an 8 1/4" x 8 1/4" piece of card stock or heavyweight patterned paper.

Lining up a corner at 3.66 (indicated by the inverted triangle above the score line), score at 1" and 6 3/8 (indicated by the dot above the score line).

Rotate, and repeat.

Notch out triangular piece where the score lines intersect, fold and adhere flaps.

HTH

Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Hi,

Thanks for any help!
And here is for a 5.5 card:

Cut card stock or heavy weight patterned paper to 8.5" x 8.5."

Lining up corner at 4.5, making sure top and bottom corners are in the same groove. Score at 7.33 (indicated by the score line with the inverted triangle).

Repeat for all sides, notch out where lines intersect, fold and adhere flaps.

Glitter Guru

I just got a Scor-Pal a couple weeks ago and I do love to score with it but the measurement things still boggle my simple mind. I can't even figure out how to score a card at 5 1/2". Unless it's very simple I just reach for my old reliable Fiskars cutter with a scoring blade. Any help would be much appreciated.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsusieView Post
I just got a Scor-Pal a couple weeks ago and I do love to score with it but the measurement things still boggle my simple mind. I can't even figure out how to score a card at 5 1/2". Unless it's very simple I just reach for my old reliable Fiskars cutter with a scoring blade. Any help would be much appreciated.
I guess first of all, have you referred to the instructions on the back side for the basics of how to use the Scor-Pal? And have you visited the website for the Basics section?

Secondly, to score a standard A2 size, tent fold card begin with a piece of card stock that is 4.25 x 11, place the card stock into the upper left corner, then score at 5.5" which is the next score line to the right of the 5" marking.

Glitter Guru

Val - Thanks for that. I tried that yesterday but maybe my cardstock wasn't up against the left corner because it really was not scored at 5.5. I just tried it again and it worked! I read the directions when I bought it. I saved them and do refer to them. I have not, however, read the basics on the web site. Thank you for pointing me to that. I'm looking forward to making lots of cool things with this - I probably just need to use it more and get used to the measurements. Math never was my forte. :0)
Compulsive Stamper

Post Scor-Pal Users

I created a post on the Scor-Pal non-standard instructions on this website, I will post it here since people are talking or were talking about measurements using the Scor-Pal. I hope this is helpful. I have not figured out a cheat-sheet for the 1/16 measurements yet. Please note, when I say, move over to a measurement, ex. 3/8, I mean move your paper over from the left corner three markings to the right, then score at 1 1/2 to get a score line at 1 1/8.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Scor-Pal Measurements.doc (67.0 KB, 507 views)
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady PurpleView Post
I created a post on the Scor-Pal non-standard instructions on this website, I will post it here since people are talking or were talking about measurements using the Scor-Pal. I hope this is helpful. I have not figured out a cheat-sheet for the 1/16 measurements yet. Please note, when I say, move over to a measurement, ex. 3/8, I mean move your paper over from the left corner three markings to the right, then score at 1 1/2 to get a score line at 1 1/8.
Thank you. I saved the doc to use later. I think it will be very helpful!
Matboard Maniac

Subscribing
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the tips.
Glitter Guru

Thank you very much for this. Wow! What a huge help. I have to admit - I'm lovin' my ScorPal!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady PurpleView Post
Pearl-ExPert

Wait a minute, there's math involved if I buy a scor pal???? I thought there'd be no math!!! I'm hoping to get one for my birthday but if I don't, I'm buying one for my birthday - so either way, I'm getting one for my birthday!!! This thread will help tons when I finally get one! Thanks for the help.
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by KraftyKPView Post
I work in a fabulous paper arts store in Los Gatos, CA, called Only the Best. I teach classes using the Scor-Pal and I think it is one of the most exciting paper arts tools on the market. The following is how I teach my customers to score "obscure" measurements, like 2 7/16" or 5 3/8". There are two things you need to do.

1) Ask yourself, what is the next whole number? If you need to score at 2 7/16", then the next whole number is 3. You will use the 3" score line. If you need to score at 5 3/8", then the next whole number is 6. You will use the 6" score line.

2) Now you need to slide your paper to the right. Ask yourself, what is 1 (or 16/16, or 8/ minus the fraction? In other words, what is 16/16 minus 7/16? Answer: 9/16. What is 8/8 minus 3/8? Answer: 5/8. The answer is where you place the left edge of your paper. Finding 5/8" is easy since the Scor-Pal is marked into 8ths between 0 and 1 inch. When finding a fraction with a 16 denominator, pretend there are imaginary lines between the 8th markings.

So, when scoring at 2 7/16", you place your paper at the 9/16" position on the left side of the Scor-Pal and score at at the 3" groove. When scoring at 5 3/8", move the left edge of your paper to 5/8" and score at the 6" groove.

If you make a bunch of nugget boxes, you'll become at pro at scoring crazy measurements with the Scor-Pal. And, once you master measuring and scoring, there isn't anything you can't do with the Scor-Pal!
I found this advice to be the best out there on how to do obscure measurements---thanks so much for makingit easier for me!
Rubber Obsessor

OMG...I suck at math! Just ask my husband when he does my checkbook to "try" and figure out balance?? Balanaced checkbook...who does that anyway??? LMAO
Die Cut Diva

Thank you for these measurements -- this is awesome! My sister and I worked on some nugget boxes over the weekend for her son's wedding and she had done tons of math to figure some things out and she tried to explain it to me ... I just said "show me where to score and I will" ... yikes, she is so smart! This is excellent for me. Thanks again.
Die Cut Diva

subscribing..thinking of purchasing one...any comments from those that already own one? I'm on the fence.
Thanks
Insane Embellisher

Debbie...

I have only had mine about a week and have only used it for the basic card fold so can't really give you much input. I will say, that on my old Fiskars cutter with the scoring blade in it - I always had to trim my cards as the score line was never straight and when I folded the card, it was never even (I hope I explained that correctly). With the Scor-Pal, I have not yet had to trim a card because the score mark didn't end up straight.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you more input. I am still intimated with the idea of having to use math .

Elizabeth

My Blog: http://stampscrapandmore.com
Rubber Obsessor

do not be worried about the math part - seriously - I am terrible in the math dept - Excel spreadsheets can be the life and death of me!
with Scor-Pal it is really easy. I agree with those who say to practice on some scrap paper, I did and it helped me alot.
the instructions the other ladies have posted here will help a lot too (Thanks to you all!!).
I will be storing this thread in my favorites!
Die Cut Diva

well I ordered my scor-pal and it's on it's way! Thanks for all of the feedback.

Last edited by ddaniels; 04-16-2008 at 06:00 PM..
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

I just want to thank you sooooo much for this explanation. I've been pulling my hair with measurements for little miniature chocolate boxes and I was marking up my entire Scor-Pal but with your explanation I got through it so quickly. Thanks again.:-D
luvjdb

Default Scor-it

Quote:

Hello "KraftyKP"

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I hope you don't mind me asking again. Since you use the Scor-Pal a lot, I'd like to know if you've used "Score-it" as well? I'm thinking of buying the 12" score-it board and want to know what the difference is between the two.

Kookie Creator

subscribing...
Die Cut Diva

Hi, I've used both. Once you have the Scor-Pal, you won't want the Score-IT. Score-It is very heavy as compared to SP. Also, if you aren't very careful, when you score with theSI, it is very easy to cut through the cs you are trying to score. Save your money..........get the SP!

KraftyChic
luvjdb

Thank you for sharing. I'm glad to know that because I did go with the Scor-pal! My order should be here by Monday so YAY!!!!

Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subscribing...

Die Cut Diva

subscribing
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvjdbView Post
Hello "KraftyKP"

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I hope you don't mind me asking again. Since you use the Scor-Pal a lot, I'd like to know if you've used "Score-it" as well? I'm thinking of buying the 12" score-it board and want to know what the difference is between the two.
The biggest factor for me with using the Scor-Pal is that I don't HAVE to move my paper! That's huge because the measurements are already done for me I get nice even score lines. I found in the past when I was scoring w/ other tools that when I moved my paper I wasn't always as precise as the project required and I would end up with lopsided projects. No problem w/ S-P.

Now, depending upon your project, you may need to move your paper to get a specific measurement like 1/8" ... but for almost everything I make I never have to move the papers - just zip, zip, zip.
Stazon Splitcoast

I just have to say that I absolutely LOVE my scor-pal and use it with just about every project! Can't live without it really! Thanks for all the awesome tips you have shared with us!!!
Polyshrink Goddess

If you don't like subtracting fractions do as Krafty KP said in regards to the next number. If you want 4 5/8" score go up one number and you will score using that groove, 5". For the left alignment of the paper and to get the 5/8", count five 1/8 inch markings (little ridges) back from one inch. Always count backwards from one inch. For a 7/8" score count back 7 ridges from one. Align the left edge of the paper with this line. This is how I demo odd measurement scoring as some people don't like subtracting fractions.
I hope I haven't confused you more.
We are here in Chicago for the CHA show. It was 93 today and quite humid but there was a pleasant breeze. If there had been Hawaiian music playing I would of thought I was in Maui. Show opens tomorrow and as usual I am nervous but excited. I will keep you posted.

Diana

Last edited by Scor-Pal; 07-17-2008 at 09:04 PM..
Cardstock Collector

KraftyKP

I am a customer of your store, Your excitement and sample projects for the scor-pal encouraged me to give it a try. I love my scor-pal and all the projects you can make with it. One of the best purchases I have made. :p

Thank you
Die Cut Diva

Wink

Subscribing... Just got my SP about 2 weeks ago! This will help!
Inking Addict

I'm sitting on the fence with the SP. Thanks for sharing your thoughts ladies as I'm now very tempted.
Cardstock Collector

Paula

Just think, the possibilities combine your cuttlebug and scorer for beautiful scrapbook elements

Or make the nugget boxes and starbrust milk cartons at your next get together - My buddies loved them

Use them for your next batch of cards - in addition to splitcoast, lots of great ideas on the yahoo scor-pal group

the ideas are endless
Mad Swapper

Great tips - TFS
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lady purple the work doc that you listed? Do you have that in a PDF as well or no? I can't seem to get it.thank you