Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:28 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unappreciative Gift Recipients!

Ok, this is my 1st Christmas as a stamper so I have never experienced this before.
I made Snowman Soup gifts for all the ladies I work with. I gave them out this morning, put them on desks mostly since most of them werent here yet. I got a couple of "thank you's" but that's it.
No one jumped up and down because they got something cute and totally handmade with love, no one said they are pretty, cute, hideous, nothing! These are all grown women, at least 10 years older than me, so they should at least know the etiquette of gift recieving, right?

Am I expecting too much? Is this the norm for giving out hand stamped gifts?
Did I waste my precious time making gifts when I could have gotten myself a massage instead???

My feelings are hurt and I feel kind of silly because the best thing about Christmas is the giving part but when your gift isnt even acknowledged it isnt so much fun to give...
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Go pick them up off the desks and send them to your SCS fans! These are totally cute! Maybe they are all grouchy and tired from standing at line in the mall and haven't woken up yet...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:36 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Aw, that's too bad.

No, that's not the norm for when you give out handstamped gifts! My Mom is the manager of a fairly large group of people (30 or so)... for every holiday (Halloween, Easter, Christmas, etc) and special work-related occaisions (Customer Service Week, big projects, etc) she and I hand make stuff like notepads and pens, or fix up gifts baskets with candy and stuff and handmake the tags and leave on the desks as "surprises"... everyone always says great things, and loves the fact that they received something handmade.

I'm sorry you've had such a poor first experience... keep trying! Maybe just not with the same group of ladies.... Don't get discouraged! And dont' feel silly... we all need validation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:38 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I just looked in your gallery and they turned out very cute. Honestly, I just don't have an answer for you. It stinks that only a couple of people said Thank You. It is very rude in my opinion not to at least say Thank You. Some people just don't get it.

"Time and trouble may tame a wild, young woman. But a wild, OLD woman is uncontrollable by any force". - Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:39 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Okay, I just looked in your gallery.... those are FABULOUS!!! I don't know why their problems are.... are you guys really busy today? Maybe no one has had a chance to say anything. OR, maybe the tags are too gorgeous and no one realizes that you handmade them?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

They are sooooo cute. I would love one. I'm sorry you have to work with people like that.

Have a Happy Holiday season.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:44 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

You know, I'm starting to think people don't have a clue anymore about what is handmade and what isn't. Last year, I gave all my bosses and the other two assistants fruit cans filled with chocolate - they were all afraid to open them because they assumed they still had fruit cocktail in them. :rolleyes:

So after last year, I can honestly say I just don't get people's reactions anymore. But I am sorry they didn't at least acknowledge your gift!

<---- (Aren't my nephew & niece cute? They take after their aunt, I think!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:46 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I think they are really nice, and I would love to receive one of them. Many people appreciate the love and work it takes to make a handmade gift. Be happy that you did a great job. Maybe it's the custom that they'll send you a thank you card, or maybe they didn't expect something and are embarrased that they don't have something to give back to you, or maybe they just don't get it. Don't let it spoil your day. You did well, they are rude, at best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:46 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Take a deep breath. Try not to sweat it. Perhaps they just don't have their Holiday Spirit yet---but don't let that get you down. Yes, they should be thanking you--perhaps a few are writing notes--who knows...but don't let it dampen your spirits.
I've learned that not everyone appreciates the effort, love, and generosity that goes into creating a handmade gift....this even applies within families. You have to decide how much you want it to affect you.
If it really bothers you--then, you need to be more selective about whom you make such gifts for in the future. I am not trying to say what they are doing is ok--...but rather, that you don't have to let their bad manners, attitude, problems...etc become yours.
Smile---Sing a happy holiday tune---Enjoy life!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:49 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I used to work with a bunch of women like that!!!
They are really cute! I would say from now on...if you are thinking about handmaking anything you can do 3 things....
1. Make them for the folks who thanked you.
2.Make them for everyone knowing you're prolly not gonna get the reaction you want...but, you have that warm fuzzy feeling inside...
3. Be like everyone else and buy stuff.

Personally.....honestly....i'd do 1. lol But, only because I felt like I was wasting my time making them for folks who really could care less whether they got it or not...and, I get my feeling hurt easily.
I hope you do 1 or 2.......anyone can do 3...and, you don't sound like anyone else....THAT'S A GOOD THING!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapnva
I've learned that not everyone appreciates the effort, love, and generosity that goes into creating a handmade gift....this even applies within families. You have to decide how much you want it to affect you.
If it really bothers you--then, you need to be more selective about whom you make such gifts for in the future. I am not trying to say what they are doing is ok--...but rather, that you don't have to let their bad manners, attitude, problems...etc become yours.
Smile---Sing a happy holiday tune---Enjoy life!!

I've found this to be true as well. If it were me, next year I'd give them a (store bought) card and a small piece of chocolate (Dove promises or something). Put your energies toward those who really appreciate it.

I'm sorry you didn't get much of a response. Send one to me, and I'll certainly appreciate it! Hee hee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

These are totally ADORABLE!! Smile and have a HAPPY Day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jimmi, I have no idea why response would be minimal, but, there could be any number of reasons from the "unexpectedness" of a gift from a co-worker that has caught them by surprise, to delayed reaction of receiving a truly hand-made gift, to a lack of understanding about the fun of a hand-stamped gift.

We're a unique breed, we stampers! ;) We do have a special appreciation when we receive a hand-stamped gift because we *know* the time and care that went into its creation.

Delight in knowing that you enjoyed making and giving away something that you put a little of yourself into. Some will appreciate it and others won't, but, in the end, your kindness and thoughtfulness will come back to you when, and how, you would least expect it. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

You are all so sweet and you all deserve a nice handmade gift for Christmas

About 2 minutes ago one of the ladies came up to my office and said thank you and that I am very talented with that "stamping stuff", that was nice and took the edge off somewhat.

I should have known, I guess since there are a few women here that I have given a birthday card or get weel card, etc. to and they never said a word either. Oh well.

I do hope that they don't think that they should give me anything in return. We don't all exchange gifts here so I hope that I didnt give them the wrong impression. It was just a little something to brighten their day not a request for something from them! Oh no...

I feel like a bratty little kid, sorry for complaining.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Those are soooo cute! My guess is they thought they were store bought (they are very professional looking!). . .hopefully you signed the back of the cards and then they'll feel pretty guilty when they realize all the effort you put into them

I think they're great and would love one from a coworker. . . I would be the goofball jumping up and down when I got it

Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:56 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I'm sorry they reacted that way!! I'd feel bad too if it happened to me.

I gave altered lunchtins with thank you cards inside to both of my son's preschool teachers for Christmas and small decorated paint cans with candy inside for Halloween and they just gushed over them. So, the reaction you got isn't always the norm!

I'm so sorry that it happened that way!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I checked out your gallery too - those are absolutely darling! I am sorry they didn't gush over them :-(

I know it's easier said than done, but honestly don't sweat it. Some people just have NO clue. If these women aren't 'crafty' they probably don't understand the time, thought & effort it takes to make something like that.

I work indirectly with a group of women like that as well. In fact they don't even BAKE anything homemade (not even chocolate chip cookies). We were going to do a cookie exchange on our floor & when I asked them if they were interested they all looked at me like I had 4 heads and said "Cookies???? Uh, I don't even have flour or sugar in my house". Some people just aren't very domestic & don't appreciate hand or home made items.

WE here think your stuff is great!!!

:-) Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

First let me say your Snowman Soup gifts are adorable, but I have discovered that many non-stampers do not understand how much time and love goes into things we make. And, just maybe they haven't really looked at them yet, are super stressed with the holidays, or they are slightly embarrassed if they didn't brings in gifts in return.

Anyway, your gift and all the other things in your gallery are wonderful. I know you enjoyed making them, so don't let this get you down. You can never account for what others do or say... it was super sweet of you to remember them with a gift. Have a great Christmas!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Jimmi, I have no idea why response would be minimal, but, there could be any number of reasons from the "unexpectedness" of a gift from a co-worker that has caught them by surprise, to delayed reaction of receiving a truly hand-made gift, to a lack of understanding about the fun of a hand-stamped gift.

We're a unique breed, we stampers! ;) We do have a special appreciation when we receive a hand-stamped gift because we *know* the time and care that went into its creation.

Delight in knowing that you enjoyed making and giving away something that you put a little of yourself into. Some will appreciate it and others won't, but, in the end, your kindness and thoughtfulness will come back to you when, and how, you would least expect it. ;)

Very well said.

To the OP, I'm sorry your efforts weren't appreciated. I work with a bunch of guys, mostly. I used to hand-stamp the cards for our female boss. Until one of the younger women beat me to the punch and started printing them on her computer :twisted: To each her own, I guess!

So now I don't give anything hand made to those I know won't appreciate the love and care that goes into the gift. I've even trained my dh and ds to appreciate what I do!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Sorry they acted that way... I didn't make my christmas cards this year because other then my stamping friends.. no one really cared.. Actually i didn't send cards at all..

So make stuff for your stamping friends & the people who did say thank you.. don't waste your time on the people who don't care.. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

It is so hard when that happens. My old office in Oregon would gush over homemade gifts, my offices in CA, different story. Then I realized they had no clue I made it. It took 9 months for two people in my current office to know I made the cards for every occasion.

Don't let it get you down, just enjoy the spirit of giving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

These are very cute. Some people just don't know how to accept a gift. My guess, they are embarrassed they don't have a gift in return.

Merry Christmas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahY
These are very cute. Some people just don't know how to accept a gift. My guess, they are embarrassed they don't have a gift in return.

Merry Christmas
That's just what I was thinking... i also think they are REALLY cute!! TFS with us - we appreciate them!!

Lovin' Being a Stampin Up! Demonstrator!!
Slowly adding to my gallery! Would love to know what you think!https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=60838
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:09 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

These are gorgeous. You deserve a great big hug with your their thank you.
If the world had a lot more people like you, that would be a great thing.
Love and hugs to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I think they're absolutely cute and anyone who doesn't appreciate them is crazy! You did a great job on those and should be proud of your great work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

I really, really enjoyed just seeing them on my computer screen! I don't know what I would do if one of these cute babies appeared on my desk one morning! Maybe your coworkers were knocked unconscious by your fabulous gift and effort, and that's why they haven't thanked you yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Ditto on how cute they are. I have done Snowman Soup when I was working, but they just got a printed card in a clear bag & some ribbon, and everyone liked them. Maybe the others just haven't made the effort to say thanks. Or maybe they feel they need to reciprocate and feel bad.
Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #28  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayo
... I gave them out this morning, put them on desks mostly since most of them werent here yet. I got a couple of "thank you's" but that's it. No one jumped up and down because they got something cute and totally handmade with love, no one said they are pretty, cute, hideous, nothing!
Maybe they were just embarrassed because they didn't have anything to reciprocate... they were humbled by your generosity, and feel badly that they didn't think to have a little something for their coworkers.

Happens in my office all the time!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #29  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Ok - now I have to add (after checking out your gallery), these are TOO CUTE! Embarrassed or not, they should be at your ofc door carrying on about how sweet you are ;)
Old 12-19-2006, 07:40 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Jimmi, well Miss Julie couldn't have said it any better, but I had a similar experience for a birthday present. I made a name frame. Understand please that I am not even particularly crafty. It comes as really "hard work" for me to create anything. I just don't have that mind set and case most everything. They opened it up, looked at it closely with their bifocals and said, "oh, is that rubber stamped"? That was it! No thank you, not much of anything else said. But...I enjoyed making it, not caseing it for once and just sitting down and having time alone with my inks and rubbah! I had a sense of sheer accomplishment! I hope you enjoyed yourself and have a wonderful holiday. The rest of us know that work you put into it and the spirit in which you gave it. I admire you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

putting aside the handmade/storebought debate... i can't imagine receiving a gift, big or small, ugly or beautiful, handmade or storebought...that i wouldn't at least have the courtesy to acknowledge and thank the person for their thoughtfulness. the fact that they didn't is a reflection on their character and not on the giver. you did a lovely, thoughful gesture and you should feel good about that and sorry for those who didn't respond. they're the ones who lose out in the long run.

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

my blog http://wwwfeedingmysoul.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Your snowman soup is adorable. Maybe some of them just haven't gotten around to telling you thanks. I have done things for people in the past and because they didn't do something for me, you could tell they felt ackward. Don't sweat it, you did a fabulous job and take pride in the fact that you did something special for those you work with. I'm sure they appreciate it even if they don't tell you.
blog - www.inkingaround.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:57 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 keys
putting aside the handmade/storebought debate... i can't imagine receiving a gift, big or small, ugly or beautiful, handmade or storebought...that i wouldn't at least have the courtesy to acknowledge and thank the person for their thoughtfulness. the fact that they didn't is a reflection on their character and not on the giver. you did a lovely, thoughful gesture and you should feel good about that and sorry for those who didn't respond. they're the ones who lose out in the long run.
Oh, so ditto!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a lovely gift, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Those are adorable!! I know *I* would gush over getting something so awesome!!

Isn't it funny how we put so much of ourselves into our creations! When I give something I made I always get the flutter in my stomach - are they going to like it - almost to the point of are they going to like me. We are much, much more self-conscious about the reactions of homemade gifts.

Honestly - I used to be one of those people that would be like - oh great - you made this - woo hoo :rolleyes: But then I smartened up and realized how awesome it is when someone does make something and how much better hand-made things are and I *love* everything handmade that is given to me! So - maybe the ladies just never smartened up. ;) Or, as said above, maybe they were embarrassed to not have anything for you.

Either way - your snowman soup rocks!! Great job - and karma is a wonderful thing when it comes back to you for something good! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, you did a great job!! Way classier than the snowman soups I did this year ;)

My philosophy is this: I love making stuff. I enjoy putting in the time and effort stamping projects take. This is really an outlet for my creativity; for me, the process is the fun part. I love stamps and papers and ribbons and and and...! The way I figure it, if I am going to give a card or gift, I might as well make it myself and get the joy from that. Once it is given, I let it go. Appreciation is of course always nice, but for me the satisfaction comes from within myself.

Just my two cents! Have a wonderful holiday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Jimmi,

I saw the gifts in your gallery and they are just gorgeous!! All I got on MY desk today was a pile of paperwork!! Seriously though, one of the things I quickly learned when I got sucked into this stamping CULT :mrgreen: is that not everyone has an eye for it, nor the appreciation for the work and heart that goes into what we do. It just comes with the territory! I have learned to turn a deaf ear to the "Oh, isnt that cute... you have way too much time on your hands..." comments!! I just smile and move on with my business..
Now, the next part of it is that sadly, some people neglect to use common courtesy in many situations period. It all comes down to manners really, like someone mentioned in another post - generally I would profusely thank somebody for giving me a gift whether I liked it or not. Anyway, you should take satisfaction in knowing that you're a kind and thoughtful person and if someone appreciates that, well that is great, and if they dont, it's their loss!!

hugs!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Jimmi, Those gifts are fabulous and I am sorry you weren't thanked properly! I sure wish I was your coworker so I could do it right! You are a terrific artist and a wonderful person, too! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and {{HUGS}} to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

I've had this same experience, but it's not just stamped gifts. One year I took FOREVER and lots of money and made tons of those brownie jar things. Not one response. It was pretty sad ... made me feel BAD. I also made sets of cards and tags different years, and got a lot of the same response, but the ones that DO love it really make up for it. I made my daughter's bus driver a cute card with a bus die cut on it, and my daughter told me she showed EVERYONE at the bus "barn" the card and said how much she liked it. That ONE comment has really meant a lot to me!

You can't control their reactions, you're a great crafter!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

What a let-down, huh? I know when I'm creating things, I do think about how people will enjoy them. At least, I really hope they do! But I have almost the same reaction at work. I have a few FANS who always thank me profusely, but there are others who just grunt! One lady actually said she didn't want it, but maybe her daughter in law would! (It was a card with cider and popcorn.) But it doesn't deter me from making and giving. Something deeper drives me. :-)

Reply With Quote Likes