Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on how cute they are! The tags are so professional looking. I only give handmade gifts to those who give me that excited reaction. It's too much of my time and my heart to give it to those who don't appreciate it.

I've also found that some people who don't understand the art of stamping think we do it as a cheap way out of cards and gifts. If they only knew what I spent on this stuff, not to mention the time. LOL !

For this type of giving (large group, small gift) I scour the stores in mid-Jan for seriously reduced Christmas stuff. If you're willing to dig, you can find some great items at more than 75% off. People will never know and if it's not appreciated, then you didn't spend much.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

I loved what you made!! Question: what's in the snowman soup?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahY
These are very cute. Some people just don't know how to accept a gift. My guess, they are embarrassed they don't have a gift in return.

Merry Christmas
I agree. And, what they need to do is put those feelings aside, feel joy that they were give something as a surprise and thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

I don't have time to read throught the whole thread but please tell me you are not still giving these inconsiderate people the lovely ornaments in your gallery??????? The snowman soup was fabulous! Seriously save the ornaments from your own tree or people that will appreciate them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 09:21 AM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Jimmi, can I work with you??? Those are absolutely darling, and I think, handmade or not, they should have at least thanked your for the gift!!! Some people, however, do not always have as much "tact" as others, but you should be very pleased with yourself for having done something to great for them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #46  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up Rebekah

I feel your pain. I love making and giving home made stamped items. I have come to find out that people lack the excitement about home made items. Just know that the time and the love that you put into these gifts will come back to you in the form of blessings. Dont let those that do not have manners ever stop you from being creative and giving. Believe me you will be blessed. My only wish is that I would have been one of the receivers of such a lovely gift. Have a Merry Christmas. Rebekah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #47  
Duchess of CBCs

Jimmi,
I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been eloquently expressed. I have come to realize that it takes a certain breed of person to understand and appreciate hand made gifts.

We had a gift exchange at work this year. My contrbution was 10 all occassion cards, 3 etched glass plates and a set of photo coasters that were stamped (one for each season). You should have seen the disappointed look on the person's face who ended up with that gift. It hurt my feelings a bit, but I just realized that she just won't get anything hand made anymore. She just appreciates store bought better.

Hang in there. There are those people who will jump up and down with excitement. I will, you can mail some to me if you want... :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

They are very cute - love those tags!!! I feel your pain...in fact I feel it every year!!! Its easy to say you'll get a tougher skin the longer you do it, but when you live through it, its hard! As I've been told in the past, if you love doing it, do it, move on and know you're a better person than your thank-less recipients!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

I just looked at your gallery. Your snowman Soup gifts are adorable and I love the little cards that you made to go with them. I can't imagine that the women at your place of wolk weren't excited about getting one of these. I'm sorry that you had to experience that response. I would have been tickled pink. Try not to take it personal even thought that is hard to do. Shame on them for not having the Christmas spirit.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

oh bah humbug on them! Your snowman soup cards are too too cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #51  
Kookie Creator

I don't make anything handmade for my co workers. I get a box of christmas cards at the after christmas sale for co workers. Last year two of my coworkers mentioned they were upset that they got a store card from me they thought I made cards. This year I made them a card and only those two.

Chrissy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Red face you answered your own question

I think you answered your own question here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayo
...I do hope that they don't think that they should give me anything in return. We don't all exchange gifts here so I hope that I didnt give them the wrong impression. It was just a little something to brighten their day not a request for something from them! ...
They probably didn't know what to say since you do not all exchange gifts. And they might have been wondering if now they have to come up with something cute to give everyone. I know it is the season for giving but I have found that MANY people don't get it; if they receive they figure they have to give.

The gifts were very nice, by the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #53  
Kookie Creator

I hope you are feeling better. Don't let their lack of manners get you down or discourage you from giving a handstamped gift again. Every neighborhood we have lived in we have always made a little tray of Christams goodies(fudge, cookies, chocolate covered pretzels) and give to our neighbors. The first year we did this in our first neighborhood - we got lots of thank yous. The following 6 years we did this in the same neighbothood - not one thank you. Next neighborhood - same story. Current neighborhood - last year we had 2 neighbors not even acknowledge the treats they found on their doorstep(yes they knew who they were from - we include our handstamped Christmas card). Well, I have 8 treat containers ready to be delivered tonight to all our neighbors regardless of a thank you or not. We love baking together as a family and we love giving so I will continue to give regardless of the response:-)

Just a little side - the best part of this years baking was that our 3 year old actually wanted to help out. So we have a picture of our oldest at about 3 standing on a chair at the counter swinging chocolate off pretzels and now we have a picture of her sister doing the same thing to add. Brought tears to this moms eyes to see my babies growing up, but am so excited to carry on this family tradition. Can't wait for a picture of our son to be added with his sisters:-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #54  
Glitter Guru

I am so sorry about the reactions you got, how disappointing! I have been doing gifts for the teachers and bus drivers for most major holidays, and some I never hear anything from, but others gush over them like crazy, in fact my son's english teacher called me today (about something different) and she gushed on and on about the halloween peep jars I did and how she loved it. I told her that since my son only gave out two jars that should tell her something if she got one..lol! Pretty much I get a great response about all the gifts I make and do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

i can understand and relay to your anger/dissapointment.

i gave this gift
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
a week ago to a neighbor, she was at home and i gave it to her in person (including a decorated luchtin for the cards) in a bag. she did not even open the bag and looked inside nor did i recieve a thank you til today and i do not even think she ever will.

you probably know how much time it takes something like this to finish.... i could have spent this time with my kids or do something else.

at first i was dissapointed... now it turned into anger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #56  
Mad Swapper

I just took a look at your creations, they are lovely. I am not sure why not many told you so themselves. Just remember that you put that time and work in for them, because you wanted to give....try not to let it get to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

well, I have to say that your snowman soup gifts are absolutely adorable!!! I can't believe those ungrateful wretches wouldn't have been jumping up and down but who knows?? maybe they didn't understand the whole gift giving thing??? I suspect that as time goes by you will definitely hear some feedback from at least some of them...and hopefully a few thank you's as well!

Last year I did little gifts for the majority of my coworkers....stamped the little Target notebooks for my fellow nurses and made little nugget boxes for all the folks in the admin/business office and each of the doctors. Except for the female docs who got notebooks. They all liked them and thanked me but not one of them has actually opened the little cello envie they were in (I put them in the acrylic envies with an organdy ribbon knotted around it and a punched out tag) and when I asked someone about it, she said, "oh no, I'm never using that...it's too cute!" but at least she liked it.

Don't take it personally, I am sure they just have no idea how much time you spent doing the gift...heck, buying the cups alone adds up even if they are from the Dollar Store! What a sweet and thoughtful gift....I'm sorry that your efforts weren't more appreciated but maybe they were taken aback by the unexpected gift and didn't know quite what to say? Of course, THANK YOU! would be a good start! ;-) Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

It has been my experience(I'm speaking of cards...not even gifts) that unless you are someone that stamps or knows the time spent making something handmade they are not appreciated the same way.Its like..OH...you MADE a card!!!I think my M-I-L looks a them for a second & then tosses them! So...don't let it get you down....just their stupidity!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #59  
Glitter Guru

I'm kinda worried about this too....

I work with 4 women who are relatively 'commercialized' when it comes to Christmas and I am worried that the ornaments I made them are not going to be well recieved. I hate that feeling, so I can sympathize with you!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

I think your soups are adorable. These ladies are crazy. Some people are just grinches...I am impressed with how cute your gifts are and how fancy they look. That's a shame that they were unappreciative. It definitely makes it more fun to give a handstamped/made gift to someone you know will appreciate it. I know it motivates me to make more for the one who said thank you the last time....I am blessed with women on both sides of my family who will gush at me. Bless their hearts. It adds that little bit of fuel when I'm making that next set of cards.
Bottom line: It's unanimous that your Snowman Soup rocks!!! keep it up!
God bless,
Victoria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #61  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Default Thanks!

I feel like I just got the biggest cyber-hug ever!
Ok, my Christmas wish has been granted by all of you wonderful women that are saying such nice things about my little snowman soups and about me!
You made me cry and I dont need a single "thank you" from anyone else!
Thank you so much. I am so glad to have found such a wonderful place to come and celebrate my obsession and no one thinks I am crazy (they know I am!)!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

You know, I think JulieHRR hit it right on the head! We stampers and crafters just go nuts over handmade anything and we are quick to affirm it to the person that made it.....while the rest of the world gives it very little thought. I don't think that they are truly unappreciative of your kindness but just are not our kind of "normal!!!"

You did a very kind thing and that is what should make you feel all warm and fuzzy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #63  
Crimping Master

I completely understand...when I make "some" people cards for their birthdays and dont get a response...they are off my list. These people have NO idea how much time and effort goes into making cards, etc. Even if someone just bought me a card...I would say thank you. Some people are just rude...and I am so sorry this happened to you! Just let it go they are fools. Those are just adorable.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #64  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Well, I only read the first few posts here, so someone may have already said this, but.....
maybe they were busy trying to think of something equally as cute to give out as gifts in the office.

I checked out your gallery, and they really are cute! Gotta love that scalloped punch! Then you bought everyone a mug.....wow.

I'm not really familiar with the soup. What is in there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #65  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
Well, I only read the first few posts here, so someone may have already said this, but.....
maybe they were busy trying to think of something equally as cute to give out as gifts in the office.

I checked out your gallery, and they really are cute! Gotta love that scalloped punch! Then you bought everyone a mug.....wow.

I'm not really familiar with the soup. What is in there?
I put some Hershey Kisses and a packet of Hot Cocoa, a Mint Chocolate Hershey candy cane and some marshmallows that I put into tiny baggies. This is the poem:
Was told you�ve been real good this year.
Always glad to hear it!

With freezing weather drawing near,
you�ll need to warm the spirit.

So here�s a little Snowman Soup
Complete with stirring stick.

Add hot water, sip it slow.
It�s sure to do the trick!

Thanks for the kind words!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by colee_dupont
Jimmi, can I work with you??? T
I was thinking the same thing! I'm in Va Beach and can be to Suffolk in about 30 minutes for mine!! They are very, very cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Those are wonderful. Some people today have forgotten that there was a time when gifts were all handmade and appreciated. We had neighbors who actually said they were surprised when I didn't make my Christmas cards one year as they looked forward to them. I didn't make them this year. Too much going on here. I will get into doing Valentine's Day cards. Try to enjoy the folks who were so nice and polite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

Is it just me or are people getting weirder. I think there's too much chemicals in the water or something. Even if you postively hate it, you would still exclaim over it because everybody...even non-crafters....should know how much work goes into stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #69  
Hardware Hotshot

Try not to feel too bad. People like that are just dumb...be happy for the ones that do thank you and next time only make them something. (Whoever said that before was right.) I make stuff for people who I know will appreciate it and that's really it. Or those who I think could use a warm fuzzy. You never know if you try it again (maybe with something smaller) people might suprise you. I today gave my students magnets that I had stamped the background and printed quotes and they were so appreciative. Very suprising but it made my day. I guess what I am saying is don't let the stupid people stop you from doing something you enjoy...one day someone will suprise you.
Have a great holiday...

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #70  
Mad Swapper

I just looked at your gallery and saw your snowman soup gifts. You put together a lovely and thoughtful gift and it's too bad that you work with such ill-mannered people. I don't know why people in an office who would say thank you if you gave them a pen to use would turn around and not acknowlege a gift. Anyway, keep up the good work and don't let the dolts get you down.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #71  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is a nice gift, even though the "snowman soup" has been around for awhile,
it can always be used, on a cold night, to sip and warm the body all the way going down. I recently this last few months, gave homemade soup for two people ill, they said a brief thank you and that was it. Are people too tight to send a note of thanks, like it's beyond their means to spend the 39 cents
to send a note of thanks, but the person giving the gift didn't spend any time or money making a project as thinking of them? It's a pet peeve of mine.
if they say thank you, I usually mention them to make some happy soemday.
and I bet they learn to be more appeciative after that when the tables are
turned. CARolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #72  
Watercolor Wizard

how disappointing... I looked at them in your gallery and they are adorable with a capital A - you put a lot of time in to the details! To save you from this broken heart again - next Christmas you can make and send them all to ME! No really, I insist!!!!:mrgreen:

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #73  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
how disappointing... I looked at them in your gallery and they are adorable with a capital A - you put a lot of time in to the details! To save you from this broken heart again - next Christmas you can make and send them all to ME! No really, I insist!!!!:mrgreen:

not your snowmen - I meant the recipients response was disappointing... I miss the edit button.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #74  
Gallery Gazer

I just looked in your gallery at those Snowman Soup gifts and they are stinkin' cute! I would have loved to have gotten something so adorable and sweet. Guess your co-workers just need to be moved from the "worthy of handmade cards" column to the "unworthy of handmade stuff" column (or possibly even to the "doesn't receive squat next year" column).

Anyway - your gallery rocks - don't let those scrooge's squash your holiday spirit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #75  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Well, tonight dh came home and we went out to eat and he said "well, did you give out your gifts?" and I said "yes" and he said "well" and I just shrugged (he knew) and he said "they are a bunch of miserable ladies, what did you expect?"
He made me feel better (not as good as you all have but he knows he could never compare;))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #76  
Gabfest Goddess

They are cute!!!!

I have given out gifts/cards and not heard anything about it for a while and then a month goes by and they tell me how much they really loved them! Just skips some peoples mind.......selfish society.........BUT it doesn't mean that they didn't like/appreciate them

Keep on giving!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #77  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

I just popped into your gallery to look at your gifts. They are absolutely adorable. If you want my address it's...........!!! Just kidding. Those people are rude and total inconsiderate and guess what....you can't change them. Don't let them ruin your lovely spirit and holiday. PS..I love your snowmen cards and especially the one with the scalloped bg.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

I looked at your gallery...and these are adorable! :-) As many have said here, their lack of showing appreciation to you reflects their lack of character. You have a generous heart! :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #79  
Mad Swapper

Those ladies are fools! I'd LOVE to get one of those snowman poops gifts! I used to give everyone at work (about 20 people) a hand-stamped gift, but I got almost the same reaction as you did. To be fair, some of the ladies did thank me and said they were nice, but nothing to equal the time I put into making them. I now do not make everyone a gift! A handmade card for my closest coworkers, and a store-bought card for those I am not close to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #80  
Gallery Gazer

Your Snowman Soups are absolutely FAB!! The cutest I've seen!! The only possible answer is that the gals were overwhelmed, and maybe a little panicked that they didn't have anything in return.

Please keep us updated, I'm interested to see what happens tomorrow!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes