Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-31-2005, 03:22 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cataloguing/organizing stamps

Mornin'.

I am attempting to organize and catalogue all of my stamps.. Now, the question is.. how should I do it? I was planning on getting DH to do a spreadsheet for each of my topics ie. inks, EP, etc

Has anyone bought something of this sort or have any good ideas on how to catalogue?

Emily
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2005, 04:29 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do two things to catalog.

First, I use a Microsoft Access database (or a spreadsheet would work too) to list all my stamp sets and reinkers etc. It is very helpful to print out, or resort, or relist any configuration you want.

Also, when I first get a stamp set, I stamp out the entire set on a 8-1/2x11 page and put it alphabetically into a binder. that way, when I flip through I can actually see what all the stamps looks like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2005, 05:37 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I've catalogued my stamps by scanning them. I'm always on the computer anyways so they are in a folder (alphabetically) on my desktop. My non SU stamps (*gasp*) are also scanned but I have them in categories like floral etc in a separate folder on my desktop. Hmm....I guess a good New Years resolution is to catalogue my reinkers etc....my non-stamping friends are going to think I've really flipped since they just don't get ANY of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2005, 07:17 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

I have high aspirations of cataloging my stamps and inks, but just haven't done it yet...definitely on my list to do. I don't like to cut and mount my SU stamps until I am ready to use them, just in case I decide to trade or sell them later. I guess I'll scan those instead. I want to keep them in my binder of stickers and embellishments for when I am out of the house and at a scrap book event.

I am going to a scrapbooking bed and breakfast with my local scrapbooking group the first weekend of February and I am trying to get all these things organized befor then...not the easiest thing to do with a 10 month old whose nap schedule is way off due to the holidays! By the time evening comes around, I am exhausted...I can't imagine how it is for those of you with more than one child and/or if you work outside the home! I know I have it easy compared to so many of you. Any tips or words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, I like the idea of stamping each set on a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper and then putting it in a binder. Wish I would have thought of that 150 sets ago.

I got tired of buying the same stamps over and over again so I set up a database using Microsoft and I take it with me whenever I go to a stamp store or convention. I have 2,000 non-Stampin Up stamps so I really needed a system to keep track of them. I made a database using catagory, name of stamp, item #, manufacturer, price, and date purchased. Usually I have them sorted by manufacturer as that is the easiest way for me to find out if I have a certain stamp when I'm at a rubber stamp store. Unfortunately, my list now is about 27 pages long so it's pretty cumbersome to haul around with me. I usually just take it when I go on vacation and know I won't be able to return the stamp if it is a duplicate. Other times I just take my laptop with me and check to see if I have it on my list - saves me all that paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2005, 04:32 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts
Red face Organizing my Binder

At the suggestion of someone on SCS, I am doing a binder as well. I started it quite a while ago, then needed a night of navy re-inker to finish. (I really didn't want to switch to a different color.) I have probably done about 60 pages, and have just as many to go. For lack of a better system, I am going alphabetically. I have some non-SU stamps as well. I look for a partially full box that has a similar theme to store them in. Then, on my 8 1/2 x11 sheet, they are stamped at the bottom of that page, along with the manufacturer. I am considering buying some empty SU boxes for the ones that don't have a home. So, I am about half done that task, and have no idea when I will finish it.
In addition, I do not have a spread sheet, but I do have an alphabetical listing done in MS Word of all of the sets I have. I keep it on my pen drive and try to add new sets soon after I buy them. The other manufacturers are not on this list. It does save me from buying something I already own, which used to be a problem. I am thinking about putting the year and price on this list, but haven't done so yet.
I have a checklist of the colors, which is really coming in handy with all of the new colors. As I buy the new colors of ink pads, markers, etc., I can check off what I have bought. (I had all of the old colors.)
That's my system, and I'm sticking with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I keep a binder with a "copy" of all the stamp sets in it for easy reference. But instead of stamping each image, I make a copy of the sticker/label sheet as soon as I get a stamp set and put that in my binder. Sure is much easier. Also, just this week I created a spreadsheet of all my stamps. I included a column for the type of stamp set (alphabet, background, wheel, etc.) and another column for whether or not it is retired.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes