Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   cataloguing/organizing stamps (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/cataloguing-organizing-stamps-108205/)

Stamping Bella 12-31-2005 03:22 AM

cataloguing/organizing stamps

Mornin'.

I am attempting to organize and catalogue all of my stamps.. Now, the question is.. how should I do it? I was planning on getting DH to do a spreadsheet for each of my topics ie. inks, EP, etc

Has anyone bought something of this sort or have any good ideas on how to catalogue?

Emily

jaxma 12-31-2005 04:29 AM

I do two things to catalog.

First, I use a Microsoft Access database (or a spreadsheet would work too) to list all my stamp sets and reinkers etc. It is very helpful to print out, or resort, or relist any configuration you want.

Also, when I first get a stamp set, I stamp out the entire set on a 8-1/2x11 page and put it alphabetically into a binder. that way, when I flip through I can actually see what all the stamps looks like.

Craf-tee 12-31-2005 05:37 AM

I've catalogued my stamps by scanning them. I'm always on the computer anyways so they are in a folder (alphabetically) on my desktop. My non SU stamps (*gasp*) are also scanned but I have them in categories like floral etc in a separate folder on my desktop. Hmm....I guess a good New Years resolution is to catalogue my reinkers etc....my non-stamping friends are going to think I've really flipped since they just don't get ANY of it.

Wnderlnd 12-31-2005 07:17 AM

I have high aspirations of cataloging my stamps and inks, but just haven't done it yet...definitely on my list to do. I don't like to cut and mount my SU stamps until I am ready to use them, just in case I decide to trade or sell them later. I guess I'll scan those instead. I want to keep them in my binder of stickers and embellishments for when I am out of the house and at a scrap book event.

I am going to a scrapbooking bed and breakfast with my local scrapbooking group the first weekend of February and I am trying to get all these things organized befor then...not the easiest thing to do with a 10 month old whose nap schedule is way off due to the holidays! By the time evening comes around, I am exhausted...I can't imagine how it is for those of you with more than one child and/or if you work outside the home! I know I have it easy compared to so many of you. Any tips or words of wisdom?

SuAnn 12-31-2005 03:46 PM

Oh, I like the idea of stamping each set on a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper and then putting it in a binder. Wish I would have thought of that 150 sets ago.

I got tired of buying the same stamps over and over again so I set up a database using Microsoft and I take it with me whenever I go to a stamp store or convention. I have 2,000 non-Stampin Up stamps so I really needed a system to keep track of them. I made a database using catagory, name of stamp, item #, manufacturer, price, and date purchased. Usually I have them sorted by manufacturer as that is the easiest way for me to find out if I have a certain stamp when I'm at a rubber stamp store. Unfortunately, my list now is about 27 pages long so it's pretty cumbersome to haul around with me. I usually just take it when I go on vacation and know I won't be able to return the stamp if it is a duplicate. Other times I just take my laptop with me and check to see if I have it on my list - saves me all that paper.

lynnewithane 12-31-2005 04:32 PM

Organizing my Binder

At the suggestion of someone on SCS, I am doing a binder as well. I started it quite a while ago, then needed a night of navy re-inker to finish. (I really didn't want to switch to a different color.) I have probably done about 60 pages, and have just as many to go. For lack of a better system, I am going alphabetically. I have some non-SU stamps as well. I look for a partially full box that has a similar theme to store them in. Then, on my 8 1/2 x11 sheet, they are stamped at the bottom of that page, along with the manufacturer. I am considering buying some empty SU boxes for the ones that don't have a home. So, I am about half done that task, and have no idea when I will finish it.
In addition, I do not have a spread sheet, but I do have an alphabetical listing done in MS Word of all of the sets I have. I keep it on my pen drive and try to add new sets soon after I buy them. The other manufacturers are not on this list. It does save me from buying something I already own, which used to be a problem. I am thinking about putting the year and price on this list, but haven't done so yet.
I have a checklist of the colors, which is really coming in handy with all of the new colors. As I buy the new colors of ink pads, markers, etc., I can check off what I have bought. (I had all of the old colors.)
That's my system, and I'm sticking with it!

sleins 01-01-2006 08:19 AM

I keep a binder with a "copy" of all the stamp sets in it for easy reference. But instead of stamping each image, I make a copy of the sticker/label sheet as soon as I get a stamp set and put that in my binder. Sure is much easier. Also, just this week I created a spreadsheet of all my stamps. I included a column for the type of stamp set (alphabet, background, wheel, etc.) and another column for whether or not it is retired.

Hope that helps.