Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2006, 06:34 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Assisted Living Projects

I'm going to visit the Activities Director of a couple nursing homes to see if I could do a once a month hands on project. Any ideas on what to do? These would be seniors, probably have to be something easy. I want it to be simple. What do you think would be appropiate? I only want to do one project. Do a card? A scrapbook page? Anyone have any experience with doing this? I'll look at this post later to see if anyone responded, or please feel free to contact me by e-mail. I would like to have samples to show when I go.
Thanks in advance!
Marian
[email protected]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

My mother was in an assisted living home for a number of years. They never really did crafts, but that might have been a good idea. I know that for many residents arthritis was a concern. So manual dexterity could be limited. A simple card might be better than a scrapbook page - having one sb page - getting photos to use, etc, could be a problem.

A card with a single layer, limited cutting (or all precut items) would probably be less frustrating. Popping pastels is a technique that creates some awesome looking results. Unless the versamark would be too hard to see? Am sure something not needing a lot of lining up would be easiest.

I also just thought of something like a simple pendant - I have never done any but there could be easy ones here. Pins might be easier to make but harder for residents to use.
I am sure others have better ideas - just thought I would jump in and bump this up.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I was thinking a one sheet wonder project would be an awesome way to let them make cards, they could stamp the one page, or have someone help them stamp it, then cut it apart and have a ton of cards to send out (have the rest of the cards already cut out. Don't know if this would be too hard on the seniors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I go to an assisted living facility once a month. Here are some suggestions:

1. Use BIG, BOLD stamps. They are easy to see and get quick results.
2. Limit cutting. It's hard for them.
3. Keep it really simple. Just a flower or two on the front and sentiment inside.
4. Take several sentiments for them to choose from--birthday, congratulations, get well, etc.
5. They will love "coloring." They love using markers and most like bright colors.
6. Be flexible and be ready for those who need extra help. I have several who have had strokes, and they sit nearest me and often ask me to stamp or color something for them as they are sometimes shakey or can't see too well.
7. I started out trying to have a session like a workshop and stay only 1 - 2 hours. I quickly learned that these folks have terrifically busy schedules and they all wanted to come in and out between going to the in house bank, the post office, handbell practice, etc. etc. Now, I just go in with markers, ink pads, lots of cardstock and several stamp sets. They pick and choose what they want to do and I'm there to give design ideas, help them cut, cover up "happy accidents," etc. They go in and out the whole time I'm there, and I stay from 10:00 a.m. to around 4:00 p.m.

You may not have a whole day to give, but I just wanted you to know that they do require a lot more attention and don't like a lot of structure--at least in my experience.

Finally, I will say that this is a truly rewarding experience. I have met so many new stamping buddies and love to hear them talk about their younger days, their families, etc. One told me when she went away to college her father paid tuition with a COW! Talk about the old days!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have read that JulieHRR does this once a month. You might PM her for some suggestions, too. I know she has said almost the same things that shprete stated. Just a suggestion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

You might talk with the Activities person....(my folks recently passed away, and were living in a Nursing home) but they might enjoy a scrapbook page...they often take photos of the residents at activities....I have a great photo of my folks at a New Year's Eve party...my mom would have enjoyed making a page using a photo of herself...you could provide some embellishments, maybe preprint some title strips, have them stamp their name or a year or date.

My mom also make a card to send to me,....bigger image stamps might be easier to handle or pre stamp a large image and let them color it is and glue it on .....depending on the skill level you may need to offer assistance....
I'm getting ready to decopage some little wooden boxes for the Nursing home where my folks lived...they will be given as gifts to the residents...I want to help out the Activities people as they help the residents....they were so good to my folks.

they might enjoy making a sort of table favor or decoration to use in the dining room...where my folks were they often made some sort of decoration to share with the other less able folks. or a magnet to hang on their door, with their name...or a message....
thanks for thinking of those folks in assisted living and nursing homes
here's a link to a scrapbook calendar page with my parents.
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Assisted Living Projects

WoW!
Thank you all so much! Great ideas. Some of the things heard earlier had to do with making table decorations or small container to put candy in. Seasonal cards were also mentioned. The wheels being used was brought up also as it might be easier for some. I guess I'll have to just play around and take some different things to show the activities director when I go.
Thanks again everyone.
Marian
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Location: The kids are asleep, I'm in my happy stampin' place!

A few things popped into my mind:
1. The first thing that came to my mind was the Simply Scrappin' kits. It's an easy way to do a scrapbook page or many cards.
2. A project using the Monogram Alphabet - it's big and if you have the "&" you can do almost anything. "you & me", "name & name", "dinner & a movie, "cake & candles", etc.
3. You could pre-stamp some images but have the seniors do the simple stamping (backgrounds, greetings/sentiments) and assembly.
4. Name frames?

Maybe you could team up with other volunteers to assist you and the residents with their projects. I know there are many boy/girl scout troupes etc. who do a lot of volunteering in senior/nursing homes.

Good Luck!
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 03:54 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Marian,

that is a wonderful idea. I worked in a facility that had a great activities programme and we had crafts on a regular basis. I think a small project is a great way to start, get an idea of how everyone can cope. I'd pre-cut as much as you can and perhaps make a kids card or a thank you card. That can be given to the nurses or people who bring the residents a gift or for the grandkids.

I'm sure whatever you do, it will be greatly appreciated.

Let us know how it turns out.

Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes