Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Anyone ever thought of doing a petition to SU re their angel policy?

What's your view point on this subject?

Just to let others know I Did Not start this thread.

Someone else did..

Spoiler

Last edited by jeanstamping2; 01-25-2006 at 04:24 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #2  
The Digi-Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're welcome to write them a letter telling them your opinions... but ultimately, they're a growing successful company and I doubt they have ANY incentive to change this practice. It's one of those "love it or shove it" deals....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

ditto what MamaK said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

As long as you use one of their copyright stamps that fulfil the angel policy, you can do *just about* whatever you want (emphasis on "just about").

What is it that you are finding troubling? Maybe someone here will have a suggestion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I really wish they would lighten up, too. The employees at my husband's store want me to put up a rack and sell them there. How sweet of them, but how disappointing for me. boo hoo-told them I'm not allowed:(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryTHutchinson
was that you are limited as to where you can sell your cards. My friend just resigned from her job to go to school and wants to make money on the side selling her cards. I told her to read SU's angel policy because she is limited. She can't sell them on line, she can't sell them in stores. She can sell them from her house or craft shows, but I think that's it. Correct? But I told her she would probably make some good "mad money" just selling them from her home because she knows so many people.

Anyways, I love Stampin Up. All of my stamps (almost all except for a few single non SU) are SU stamps. All my supplies (just about) are SU, etc. I love my demonstrator, and I have the best time. I was just thinking if I wanted to sell my stamps in the future (say when I retire), I would be limited as to where I could sell them.
You are right, as far as not being able to sell cards or merchandise in a store front or online (what they call a permanent retail location). You can sell it up at craft fairs though, as far as the cards/crafts go. Or, you can go as a demonstrator with their "Show on the Go" kit, and present yourself to get bookings.

I love my SU products too, and am a demonstrator almost strictly for the discount!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

[quote=MaryTHutchinson]Anyways, I love Stampin Up. All of my stamps (almost all except for a few single non SU) are SU stamps. All my supplies (just about) are SU, etc. I love my demonstrator, and I have the best time. I was just thinking if I wanted to sell my stamps in the future (say when I retire), I would be limited as to where I could sell them

Unless you're a demo, there are no restrictions on how you sell SU stamps after you are done with them. Demos are not allowed to sell current stamp sets but can dispose of retired sets however they want.

Splitcoast member #803
My Gallery
Read my LATEST STORY on OurEcho.com
http://www.ourecho.com/biography-200...rie-Hyle.shtml
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I think Stampin Up should let customers & demos Sell there cards or craft projects made with stampin Up any where they like.

My point of view that would be free advertising for them. If I as a stamper, went into a store and saw handmade cards with a design I liked, and told it was a Stampin Up stamps, paper, ink, etc. I would want to buy the stamps myself. I would call up my demo and order. FREE ADVERTISING!

I think with all the other stamping companies making it easier for the customer to sell where ever, Stampin Up will start feeling it in the pocket book and have to join in with the rest of the stamping communittee.

Just my Opinion!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2006, 05:35 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I do sell some cards on a small scale but I e-mail each new stamp company I encounter and ask about their angel policy before I use their images. When I go to conventions, I make a point of asking every stamp vendor about it. I have found many company's that do allow (actually encourage) me to sell my stuff as long as I handstamp them.
I am actually a SU hobby demo and love their stamps but I don't buy near the amount of stamps that I used to from them, only the sets I really, really love and know I'll use for my personal use. Now their paper, inks and supplies... that's another story.
There is a website that lists the angel policy for lots of stamp companies, I have found their information to be quite accurate, but I always check for myself....
www.rubberstampinglinks.com/angel-companies

...no matter where you are, there you are! my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you'd be unpleasantly surprised to realize just how many companies have strict policies, even stricter than SU's! Take Hero Arts, another large, popular company. If you call them they will tell you that you must (a) send them a copy of what you propose to make; (b) limit yourself to 50 of any one design; and (c) get the same permission EVERY time you want to sell a different design.

Some absolutely forbid ANY sales of items using their images. Not just at retail locations, but anywhere. They firmly state that the images are only for PERSONAL use, period.

I would strongly caution people to check with every company whose images they want to use, if they care, that is, lol. Not only do companies vary widely in their policies, they change them from time to time, and it's up to you to check and find that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinisfun
I think Stampin Up should let customers & demos Sell there cards or craft projects made with stampin Up any where they like.

My point of view that would be free advertising for them. If I as a stamper, went into a store and saw handmade cards with a design I liked, and told it was a Stampin Up stamps, paper, ink, etc. I would want to buy the stamps myself. I would call up my demo and order. FREE ADVERTISING!

I think with all the other stamping companies making it easier for the customer to sell where ever, Stampin Up will start feeling it in the pocket book and have to join in with the rest of the stamping communittee.

Just my Opinion!;)
Maybe as a crafter you would be inclined to purchase the products, but the average person is much more likely to just buy the cards rather than order supplies to make them. Look at the abundance of venting posts about people who don't appreciate handmade things! SU! wants to sell stamps, not finished cards and gifts.

Many members of the stamping community have been unhappy with the SU! policy for years (there was a time when you could not sell things made with their products ANYWHERE, so we are actually better off now), and it doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on their bottom line. In fact, it looks like the company is growing by leaps and bounds!

I know this is going to sound harsh and I apologize, but no one is forcing anyone to use SU! products. Don't like the policies? Don't buy their stuff! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess maybe you have to go back and contantly check the angel policy because I emailed Hero Arts and the email I received back said they had no problem with my selling my homemade cards using any of their stamps. The only thing I had to do was to have in writting that I had used Hero Arts stamps - no need for a specific stamp like with SU or anything. The gentleman was very nice in his reply and thanked me for checking into their policy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally speaking, I wouldn't request they change it. They are in the rubber stamp manufacturing industry, not the card manufacturing industry, as has been pointed out.

SU!'s entire premise of marketing and promoting their stamps has to do with the home workshop venue. Therefore, it would not behoove them to alter the policy as their rubber stamp products are not available for purchase in retail stores, in order to support the homeworkshop method of marketing.

It would more than likely have the reverse or possibly even a damaging effect because they would also lose serious quality control on how their company's overall image is represented.

It would also have an adverse effect on demonstrators--the very sales force SU! relies on to promote the sale of their stamps; not the sales of hand-made cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Hero Art's Angel Policy (from their website):

"Angel Policy

All of our stamp designs are original artwork created and copyrighted by Hero Arts. Thus, Hero Arts stamps are for personal and non-commercial use only. However, our valued stampers may use our products to produce any creations they would like, which can include selling or otherwise distributing these creations in limited quantities.

All commercial use of our designs is subject to the following terms and conditions:

1. All stamp impressions must be made by hand and no mechanical or other form of reproduction is permitted.
2. Quantities are limited to projects that are limited in scope, local in nature, and otherwise do not constitute an ongoing business. Additionally, quantities for commercial use are generally allowed if they are in the range of 50 handstamped impressions per stamp image. The production of much larger numbers, and/or for an ongoing business, and/or for an endeavor that is not local in nature, is forbidden.
3. Wherever possible, Hero Arts Trademarks and Copyrights should be displayed.

To use our images for this purpose, simply send or e-mail us a letter acknowledging you agree to the above terms, and include the following information:

* Your name and contact information
* A list of the Hero Arts products you plan to use
* The quantities you anticipate producing
* An acknowledgment that you "Agree to respect Hero Arts copyrights."

Send, email or fax the request to:
Hero Arts Rubber Stamps
1343 Powell St.
Emeryville, CA 94608
FAX: 510-653-8620
[email protected]

Submitting this written letter grants you a limited license to use our images as you like within the terms outlined above. We appreciate your consideration of our copyrights."

Reply With Quote Likes