Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who to sign up under and when?

Hi ! I am hoping to sign up in Stampin up in the beginning of next year...but here is my question....I really don't want to sign up under the person I buy from...nice person ...but kind of controlling and not someone I would want to be 'under' ..there is another demo in my area who is reportedly very nice and good....but I really hate to hurt anyone's feelings...

next question... I know that I will have those who will buy from me (they've already told me--people who I've goten interested in stampin up and I scrapbook with) When is the best time to sign up?

thanks for answering my questions!!

Mechelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:19 PM   #2  
Hot Mess

I would sign up under who yo uare comfortable working with!

Sellabration time is a good time to sign up. You'll get a free Sellabration set with your kit!

HTH!

Amy "Pro" K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:22 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Don't sign up under the controlling person. You won't have any fun.

I didn't want to sign up under the demonstrator I knew either, so I asked around, and there was a demonstrator at work, so I signed up under her.

Now, I'm doing better than she is and she thinks she's going to quit?!

Tina
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

actually this is what you get when you sign up as a new demo with your kit

Recruiting-A new recruit may choose any retail stamp set from the current Idea Book & Catalog when she signs up. New demonstrators must write the name of the set they choose on the top of the starter kit form. If the new recruit doesn't request a certain stamp set, she will automatically receive Everyday Flexible Phrases as her free set.

I would choose the demo that you are comfortable with - having someone above you that is willing to work with you help you out and give you support can be really important.

Best of Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:28 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

YES!! Sign up with whoever you are going to feel comfortalble with! Somethone you can trust to get support from. Call em up babe.... interview them!

I agree.... no time better than Sale-a-bration to take the plunge and join the wonderful SU! family!

~C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:33 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto to all of the above...when you are thinking about something like this you want some one who is going to be on your side and helping you...not pressuring you or controling you. And like Cami said, INTERVIEW them...I know when my downline was interested she did ask me lots of questions like, Will you be able to support me? What are you into SU! for? What will you expect of me?
Those types of questions were good for me to answer as well as for her to hear the answers to! It helped me to know where she was coming from as well as what she was expecting of me!
Best of luck! And welcome to the club!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:33 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Group Leader

Hey Mechelle,

Congratulations! You will love SU! Sign up right awa in January...In fact, if you were near me I would have the paperwork all filled out and dated January 1 and I would send it so it arrives on the 1st or 2nd. After you think they have received you paperwork you can call SU and get your demonstrator number even before your starter kit comes. Then you can learn so much from the website that you aren't able to see unless you are a demo. I always walk my demonstrators through this even before the kit comes. So if your person doesn't do this you will know you can call SU yourself and get your number and password!

Laurel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:37 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Default who to sign up under and when

Everyon else is so right on this one....I don't know where you live, but it is best to find someone you are comfortable with and you will know when it's right for you. If you go to the Stampin' Up! website there is a place to click on to find a demonstrator in your area. Give this a try to see if you find anymore around you and then contact them to meet and check them out. I take it on as if you are an employer looking for the right employee to work with you. Having a comfortable and friendly relationship with a demonstrator you feel you can sign up under is very important but can be a fun process to find them. Good luck and happy holidays.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:38 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I would sign up under someone who I would have some fun under. I had a similar experience. I had a few people to choose from and the person I chose to sign up under I thought I would get along with better. So far my decision is a good one.

Also, I signed up during sell-a-bration 2 years ago. I think that is a great time to start.

If you have any questions or need anything else please feel free to contact me.

Kristen Suydam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone know, if SU process your application on the 1st, soes it still count as your first FULL month, or is it a partial month and February would be your first FULL month?

The reason I say this is that there is something called "Stampin' Start" in which if you sell $1500 in your first 3 FULL months, you earn two free stamp sets. If you sign up just a day or two into any month, the next three months are your first 3 FULL Months, meaning that you have 29 extra days to sell $1500 and make Stampin' Start (and it's AWESOME that two of those months will be Sell-a-bration months!!).

Just something to think about, to get the most bang for your stampin' dollars.

Caroline
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 02:22 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

If you sign up on the 1st of the month, it is NOT considered your first full month...
Now, I know everyone thinks you should sign up in Jan. but I say, sign up now. You get 30% off your first order as a demo, and if you do this while there's free shipping-that's another 10% off...
Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 02:55 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

I just signed up and I'm so glad I did before SAB. Mostly because I received my starter's kit and have been able to play around with it. I know I'll be having a lot of parties during SAB (my family is already addicted to SU! and can't wait to have a party).

This way I'm off and running as soon as SAB starts and I can be making more on workshops, qualifying for my SAB perks and my stampin Start benefits.

Ditto on the responses about who to sign up under.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ditto...Ditto...Ditto. I too have some experience with this particular topic. I was very familiar with a demo and went to her classes regularly. She was extremely creative, fun and had wonderful ideas, BUT she was very lax (IMHO) in her business conduct. She would tell us one thing and then another thing would happen and she wouldn't explain it. She would explain she'd be out-of-town for family obligations (fine) and her husband would deliver - long story short, he never did even though he called and confirmed address numerous times. She would show up unannounced and expect her customers to flip through her only copy of a new catty/mini. By chance, I happened upon another demo at a free party. She was so enthusiastic - I started e-mailing her my questions in August and September and then decided to sign up under her that October. Although it was tough not going with my old demo, I know in my heart I made the right decision for me. My upline has wonderful business savvy - she's been in the business 7 years compared to 2 years with my old demo. She also has an incredible network of over 100+ demos in our group and we hold quarterly meetings held by her upline. The training and support that I have gotten has been tremendous. Not to mention she has always answered my questions quickly, gave me sound answers, and when she hasn't been sure, she has directed me to demo support for follow-up. I don't think I would have been successful under my old demo. I'm not exactly sure why, but in my heart, I am very happy with my decision.

My advice: follow your gut and go with your instinct. If you feel comfortable and happy with another demo after interviewing them, then I say GO FOR IT! One word of caution - you might want to think about what you would say to the old demo, if she should find out you signed with someone else - needless to say, my old demo called to confront me after I had e-mailed her and told her of my signing up. I was so flabbergasted that she called me to confront me and ask why - something to think about anyway. It was one of the most uncomfortable calls I've ever taken - she then ends the call with saying she had asked a friend why this keeps happening to her, as THREE other people signed up under someone else...I felt horrible! How do you discretely tell someone that you don't think they have good business practices?!?! YIKES! Anyway, as I said, something to consider preparing for the potential call/e-mail wondering why.

Good luck and welcome aboard! You'll find not only SU is totally awesome, but this website is full of wonderful people who generously give of their time and talent - it's amazing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 03:34 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I agree with all the above postings. Definitely interview.

I have a demo friend that signed up under a different friend before she knew me and now wishes that she had signed up under me. Its difficult to "give it up" for 6 months and 1 day before you can sign up under someone else.
I know it has been done - I met a demo at Madison Regionals that quit purposely to re-sign up under someone else, but you should try to make a good choice in the first place.

Good luck!

Michelle
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 03:36 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I was in this same situation a few months ago when I signed up. My local demo was not someone that I felt like I connected with personally and knowing that I would be moving I just didn't feel comfortable signing under her. That demo is a member of my church so it was a tense situation, but she understood that I wanted someone closer to where I would be moving. I talked to a number of people that I met through yahoo groups and here at SCS. I met my upline Keri Lee here on SCS - she answered all of my questions without pressure. Just make sure that you sign under someone that you are comfortable with and who will support your goals. Your current demo might be a little hurt but your success as a demo requires signing under someone you that you are comfortable with and trust.
-Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 03:39 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Amanda!!! :oops: I still feel so special that you chose me!!! :oops: You are sweet! Can't wait to meet you!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 04:11 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Default who to sign up under and when

This subject is near and dear to my heart. you really need to make sure that your potential upline is someone that is it this for the long haul.. It is so important that she is not someone that is going to quit after a few months. Your new upline is so very vital to your success whether you choose to make a career out of this or not. Make sure she is totally submitted to Stampin' Up! That it is her passion and in her blood. I have learend all this from experience. if you do not feel comfortable or have the feeling of greatness for this gal, please choose someone else. Good luck and keep me posted.
stamp with me soon, Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2004, 04:11 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Wow! thanks!

boy you gals are quick to respond! I posted that before going to a bullriding show and din't chekc ntil this moirning and had lots to read!

Here is another question....I am not going to be signing up to earn 'lot s and lots of money'...with my 3 kids I really don't have the night evenings to do lots of shows...I mainly am doing it for my friends and occasionally do a show.. My husband has always told me I should be in sales with my personality....so I think I could do well......so will a demo want to take me on?

by the way--you gals are great and provide lots of interesting reading...I've read for several months now without posting...

mechelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2004, 04:17 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Oh! I just reread my post ! sorry for all of the typos! I 'm really a better speller than that! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2004, 04:28 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mechelle,
I think that you ought to tell whoever you sign up under exactly what you are looking to do and how much time you want to invest in it...here is why.
When I signed up Amanda, I told her that I am not a high sales high pressure type of person. I do it to support my hobby for right now and hope that once my boys are a little more independent, as in no longer nursing!!! LOL, that I will then get into it more. I know that worked for her to sign up under me as she did not want to be pressured to sell sell sell...does this mean that I do not support her? NO! I call every so often, I email her and I have sent her some stuff that I feel would increase her business...but I don't want to pressure her to accomplish more than she is ready to commit to keeping up with. Do you see what I am saying? So tell your upline what you hope to accomplish, how much time you are willing to invest and let her know from the beginning what it is that YOU WANT. If she balks at that or is not accepting of it...find someone who will support you and the way you want to run your business. It is very important!
Again best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2004, 09:11 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

First of all, Mechelle, congratulations on deciding to become a SU! demo. I don't think you will regret it.

As for who to sign up under, pick someone with whom you are comfortable. (I have just promoted to supervior because my friends signed up to take care of our different groups of friends once I move-supposed to already be gone from Hawaii. One moved away, to VA. They all have differnt goals for their SU! career.) My focuses have now changed from sales to supporting my downline. For those who are still here, I think I am just as excited that I will be here to helpwhen they put in their first orders/have their first parties as they are! I wish I could've been there for the one who is in VA.

The downline who just moved to VA chose me over her own mother. Why? I don't really know. She said something to the effect I had been doing it longer, knew more, and she didn't think I'd quit after awhile like her mom probably would do.

Another thing is to look at the incentives the upline gives. For my directs, I will give them a sterling silver charm bracelet with a star charm once they become Sr. Assoc. Then another charm for first $500 party, $2500 quarter, etc. I didn't want anything cheap just in case they decide SU! is not for them. This way they see that their hard work paid off.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2004, 11:36 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mechelle,

Good for you!

My opinion will vary from some expressed here, but here's my 2 cents :

Much of whether or not you will achieve, with respect to your goals and success, depends on YOU (I'm not saying "you" specifically, I'm saying you to anyone in general). Not your upline. Everbody signs up for different reasons and has different goals. Just because your upline's do not match yours, doesn't mean you can't enjoy a great relationship and that you cannot be successful.

Motivation is internal. If you think your success hinges on your upline, then I think you should rethink.

If my upline quit today, I would not feel abandoned; heck, with all the resources available online via the SU! Discuss, and various other eBBs, such as SCS, I have access to ALL the help I could ever need.

When I need her advice, I ask and I receive. I wouldn't trade her for anything and I'm not motivated by "tangible" rewards from her for my achievements. She has monthly meetings, swaps, etc. I don't attend as I live too far to travel, with my kids as dependent on me as they still are. But, one of these days, my kids will be grown and I will. Most importantly, I "feel" her support and encouragement. Just knowing that is plenty for me.

That said, I signed up with my upline for one simple reason: I LIKED HER. Maybe not a great reason, but for me, the only one that mattered!

All that I have learned and continue to learn, is gained not just by my relationship with my upline, but with MANY demonstrators at many different levels in their SU! career. Many are gracious to share their insights, experiences, ears for listening, AND shoulders for cryin' on . . . testimony to the great sisterhood of SU! demonstrators. Truly phenomenal.

I have to train virtually ALL my downline long-distance via email as I moved 4 years ago. I share tips, samples I come across, helpful sites as I discover them, ideas I plan to try or have tried. I plan and organize a retreat annually here for them to travel to, if they choose to participate. They do and we have a blast. They can email me any time, and I'll do my best to help/advise them, and if I don't have the answer, I'm very willing to help them find the answer.

I would like to think that they are self-motivated and independent enough, that they can and would succeed and achieve whether I am near or far, and most importantly, if I did not exist.

Their successes are a direct result of their hard work and persistence, not anything I have ever done for them. And, they should be proud of that! I know I am very proud of them and thrilled FOR them!

Keep in mind, this is the perspective of a very independent individual; I do not require or want hand-holding. I tend to dig in, find things out for myself, do research myself. The only time I require assistance from my upline, is if I'm in a position where I am stumped. She's been there every time I ever needed her, but if she weren't, the great sisterhood is out there. In a way, we all serve each other as uplines when we network and share, and I think that's kinda cool and what makes the whole thing so awesome.

OK, that was more than 2 cents, I realize. And, I am long-winded. And, opinionated. :shock:

Good luck, and best wishes for success in your endeavors. Go get 'em, girlfriend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 12:11 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

I agree with Julie aka HRR on many points.

As far as my personal "tangible" incentives, the charm bracelet, it is to remind them what a wonderful job they're doing. Not all the charms are for sales, but volunteering, demoing at group meetings, etc. All my downline have different goals so they may not all have the same charms, but have the opportunity to get some kind. Just like when starting with any employer, you look at the benefits. That was all I was trying to express. Hopefully, I didn't offend anyone. It was not intended in that way.

Not everyone has an incentive program. My uplines do not. I signed under my direct upline for the simple reason I liked her, too. I feel if I quit tomorrow, there would be no hard feelings, and we would still be friends. Of course, I was her first recruit, and she has given to me in so many ways. Mostly her time, which for her is special with 4 kids; one of which is handicapped.

Maybe ask if you can sit in on a group meeting. Then you can also meet your sidelines and get a good sense of who your prospective upline is and how she treats each individuals goals.

Good luck and best wishes to you!
Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 02:03 AM   #24  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Default Who to sign under

I say it doesn't matter a bit UNLESS you think your upline will hound you or be pushy with you. One who offers no support is no big deal. thousands of us are :orphan: demos becasue our upline move, we doe, or our upline quits. no biggy. Don't worry so much abotu support, just worry about if she is too pushy. I have no support but am doing much better than my upline. use the demo locator on the SU website and call some new demos. You can always pick one with many downline then use that as your excuse. "I wanted someone with lits of experience helping newbies..."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 04:18 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

The ONLY advice I have is.....Make sure who ever you sign under will be with you through thick and thin, answer any questions, stays in touch with you, HELPS you anytime, anyplace. If they meet the above...go for it.

supporting your downline is not required, but its the most important thing you will need.

I wish I had a upline, but hey!! I have SCS and that will do

Delene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 01:01 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

As far as my personal "tangible" incentives, the charm bracelet, it is to remind them what a wonderful job they're doing. Not all the charms are for sales, but volunteering, demoing at group meetings, etc. All my downline have different goals so they may not all have the same charms, but have the opportunity to get some kind. Just like when starting with any employer, you look at the benefits. That was all I was trying to express. Hopefully, I didn't offend anyone. It was not intended in that way.

None at all taken, nor I hope, vice versa from my comments. I think your charm idea is lovely and if affordable for you, then more power to you and your downline!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 01:08 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

On another note, and, generally speaking, on occasion, I observe some demonstrators offering outrageous signing bonuses or "too-good-to-be-true" incentive programs . . . and sadly, a recruit will discover that the recruiter does not always follow through on them . . . SO, I think it's good to beware of these and investigate them thoroughly, if it's something that is a key factor for for signing on . . . ?

I think, too, it's important to not get overly caught up in the "What will you do for me?" mentality . . .

To quote JFK: "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

As far as being a demo'r goes, I would rephrase that to "Ask not what your upline can do for you, but what you can do for yourself (with her encouragement along the way)!"

Your upline can give you support, share ideas, techniques, biz tips, etc., but she can't nor should she be expected to: seek customers out for you, turn over her own to you, get workshop leads for you, plan your workshop for you, etc. In other words, she cannot do the work for you or hand you success!

SOMETIMES, not often, I see newbies sign up thinking that's what it's about . . . they are usually the ones that deactivate and claim lack of support . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2004, 10:39 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by shari stamper
Ditto...Ditto...Ditto. I too have some experience with this particular topic.
I ditto, ditto, ditto so many of these comments! I was in this very same quandry a few months ago, when I was thinking about becoming a demo. I wasn't comfortable going under my current demo and came here to ask questions about it. I got some great insight from others on here and soon realized that if I wasn't even comfortable enough with my demo to ask her these questions, then I definitely wouldn't be comfortable working with her as my upline. I was really afraid of how she'd react if I told her I didn't sign under her, and when she did learn about it, my instincts were right on - she was NOT a happy camper and it got very ugly. But that just cemented my gut feelings, telling me to go with someone else, and I am SO happy I did. My upline is actually a lot further away than my old demo is, but I love being in her group so that's really not an issue. We just mesh a lot better.

Take it from someone who's been there - SHOP AROUND - it's worth it!

Best of luck to you if you do decide to sign up! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2004, 10:57 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

I was really afraid of how she'd react if I told her I didn't sign under her, and when she did learn about it, my instincts were right on - she was NOT a happy camper and it got very ugly. But that just cemented my gut feelings, telling me to go with someone else, and I am SO happy I did. My upline is actually a lot further away than my old demo is, but I love being in her group so that's really not an issue. We just mesh a lot better.
Good for you in following your instincts! It is unfortunate things got ugly, but part of the beauty of the system is that there are no "exclusive territories", and you are at liberty to CHOOSE what's best for YOU, and while I could understand a demonstrator, if she'd invested some time and resources in giving you the info, etc., being DISAPPOINTED, I'm not sure I can understand why she'd make things ugly, when you were deciding that someone else was in your best interests . . .

Heck, I lost a recruit who was comparing SU! to DOTS. I advised her that although she knew me well (I was her former high school Spanish teacher! and we had a wonderful relationship) and didn't know the DOTS rep (sorry, DOTS is now known as CTMH) from Adam, she needed to choose the company whose images she was CRAZY about, etc.

She was kind enough to return all the recruit info AND the catalog I'd sent her when she made her decision, and, while I'd be lying to say I wasn't a little disappointed not to have won her over, I certainly wasn't angry nor be-grudging of her decision, nor would I have been if she'd chosen another SU! demo'r. It isn't a "first-dibs" kinda thing, for cryin' out loud!

I'm glad you found someone you felt connected well with you.

Best wishes for your success!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2004, 11:09 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

I was NOT going to sign up when I had a party last spring...I just wanted the demo to come to my house because I LOVED her presentation - she was funny and seemed to know her stuff. She also was asked to be on the Advisory Board after less than 2 years as a demo, so I knew she must have her act together.

Well, after she came to my home, she gently suggested that I sign up along with my neighbor/coworker (she ended up giving us some nice incentives too) - and I am SO glad that I signed up with her. I'm now pretty close to the top demos in SU! in my upline, and I have had more fun than I could ever imagine! I drive 2 hours to go to my upline's meetings, but they are always well worth it! SU! is more than a business - it's family, so you better be sure you're comfortable with your upline.

Best of luck to you!!!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Reply With Quote Likes