Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Are you interested in SU only discussion thread?
I'll be checking and participating often 180 57.14%
I'll wait to see what others do 9 2.86%
It's already happening elsewhere 26 8.25%
Don't care one way or another 101 32.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

This is one of the many reasons I love Stampin' Up! When I first started stamping, I went to lots of places in an effort to find things to coordinate for my cardmaking. After spending quite a bit and still having trouble getting everything to match, I realized it was easier for me to make a really nice card with SU! supplies, because everything went together so well! Like you said, it limits my options in a good way!

Now I'm a demo and I love the products!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlowersandHeartsView Post
I would love this. I'm just a customer, but I only use SU, because I have to stop somewhere...lol! I love their products and I'm happy with them, so I don't really want to be tempted by other stuff I "need" to have. I know my weakness and try to limit it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

I Would be interested too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 03:43 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

I use mainly SU stamps and products so this would be a wonderful addition.

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I would be interested in a SU! forum on the general disucssion side even though I am a demo: I would definitely participate.. I rarely look at the Member Company's forums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #45  
Mad Swapper

I think it would be a great idea. I don't have much artistic talent so the coordination of the stamp sets, ink and paper that Stampin Up offers works for me. Plus I love hearing how others use their supplies.

Last edited by SarahY; 10-02-2009 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd love to participate, too, but I don't think we'll get a separate forum. The member companies pay for those and it's not something SU! has opted to do.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I would love to participate too! I am not a Demo, but love Stampin Up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I would LOVE an SU Forum within General Stamping. Jenn Balcer, where are you? Could you do that, have it within this forum? Kinda like we got the MDS Forum within the demo area? Doesn't need to be like a Member Company.

It's great to be able to post to this thread, but if someone is asking a question, people won't see if unless that question will be a separate thread.

I'm a demo who LOVES to teach people to stamp, so I'd love to be here to answer questions and such. One tip for everyone posting their creations to the Gallery. If your card uses only SU products, please put SUO (Stampin Up Only) in the keywords section. There are lots of us SU lovers who got tired of wading through all the other stamps looking for SU ones in the latest additions to the Gallery. So a lot of us look mostly, or only at the cards that have SUO in the keyword. If you put SUO there, your card will still appear in the General Gallery and in the area where you put it (under the stamp set name, etc), but will ALSO come up for those searching for SUO. I went to the SUO page, and bookmarked that, then dragged it down to make it a button. So when I want to see the latest SUO additions, I just click on that button, then on "more" at the end of the first 4 cards which are displayed on that SU Only page in the Gallery.

Hope this helps someone!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

As much as I miss the "old" SCS, where it was pretty much all SU, all the time, times have changed. It wouldn't be fair to the Member Companies at ALL to create a new forum specifically for SU topics. I wouldn't blame them a bit for wondering just what they were paying for!

If people want to talk about SU, there's nothing stopping us. Start threads like this one. I agree, keeping one thread going gets unwieldy, and questions could get overlooked due to the sheer volume. So start lots of threads, make the subject "SU whatever," and keep posting to them.

Remember that Kevin Costner movie? "If you post it, they will come," lol! Perhaps if people start seeing the discussions, they'll join us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Betsy - I didn't think of the Member Companies wondering why they're paying... To me, SCS was started as a place for Tracy's SU downline to talk and post their samples, so it WAS started as an SU place... Hmmm...

You're right, maybe we should start posting threads here in General Stamping and put SU first in all the thread names, so people can tell before opening it if it's something they're looking for or not.
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #51  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wanting access to the demo forums has been cited as many a demo's reason for signing up : ) LOL

SU lovers would think they'd died and gone to heaven if they knew what all is over there and in the galleries they cannot see! I don't say that to rub it in--just to let you know that's where all the good SU stuff has migrated. It can be migrated back, if we try!!

Well, if they won't give it to us, and SU won't pay for it, then we'll just have to reclaim the forums for ourselves by posting our own positive threads and chatter. I too get turned off by seeing so many member companies posts all over the front page all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

[quote=cvansluys;15247497]
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanislandwomanView Post
Hi, Cindy, thanks for posting. Did you do something to the snowflake chipboard before putting the dazzling diamonds on it?[/quote]

Yes, I did.....Whisper White Craft Ink. Let it dry, then stamped entire surface with Versamark Pad, then dunked in the Heat and Stick, then used my heat tool, then added the DD and finally, heat tool one more time to set.
You don't necessarily have to let the craft ink dry and then use Versamark. You can apply the heat and stick powder to the wet craft ink, heat it, add the dazzling diamonds glitter and then heat it briefly once more to set. This is especially fun with different colors of craft ink because colors show through the dazzling diamonds glitter. This technique isn't just for solid stamps either. Try it with line art stamps too.

Just remember not to overheat the heat and stick powder. You only need enough heat to make the powder barely melt. If it starts to bubble, it will lose some of the stickiness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm an SU demo and LOVE SU...REALLY REALLY DO!!!....when I first started out I was buying everything from everywhere...then discovered that all I need is my 48 main colors +incolors, their ink ribbon, etc...and I can make ANYTHING I want....lol..

I still hang on to some of my stamps from bella, etc...toooo cute, but honestly have not used them for a long long time...

I would love to see more discussion here on SU....my best friends are not demos and not going to be....lol..and we have ALOT to talk about....and I do enjoy hearing the differences in products....

soooo, yes, if we did by chance get a *whatever*...I would be there!!!!....and hopefully be able to help and I know learn from all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

[quote=Glitterati;15256234]
Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post

You don't necessarily have to let the craft ink dry and then use Versamark. You can apply the heat and stick powder to the wet craft ink, heat it, add the dazzling diamonds glitter and then heat it briefly once more to set. This is especially fun with different colors of craft ink because colors show through the dazzling diamonds glitter. This technique isn't just for solid stamps either. Try it with line art stamps too.

Just remember not to overheat the heat and stick powder. You only need enough heat to make the powder barely melt. If it starts to bubble, it will lose some of the stickiness.
Gee, thanks! I did not know that information so, thanks for letting me know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #55  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
Wanting access to the demo forums has been cited as many a demo's reason for signing up : ) LOL

SU lovers would think they'd died and gone to heaven if they knew what all is over there and in the galleries they cannot see! I don't say that to rub it in--just to let you know that's where all the good SU stuff has migrated. It can be migrated back, if we try!!

Well, if they won't give it to us, and SU won't pay for it, then we'll just have to reclaim the forums for ourselves by posting our own positive threads and chatter. I too get turned off by seeing so many member companies posts all over the front page all the time.
You can opt out of having the member company's discussion appear on the first page of General Stamping discussions. Read the directions on the first post of the forum.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #56  
Hardware Hotshot

Yeah!! I *heart* SU! and always will I have lots of goodies from the mini waiting to get inky, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #57  
Stampin' Fool

I don't know the rules/regulations of having member companies on SCS. I do, however, love the idea of a section dedicated to SU!. I use their products the most, often incorporating them with products from other companies.
I know SCS can't possibly have member companies from every company. It's obvious there is alot of interest in an SU forum. I hope you can devise some version of this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #58  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would love to see a thread dedicated to SU! I'm not a demo, but I'm a SU! junkie : ) I have a wonderful SU! demo that is a dear friend. I would love to see to share SU! dedicated projects as well as see what others do with their SU! products : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

I would love to have a SUO forum. I've been haunting SCS for years and find that lately I haven't been looking as much because it's gotten away from SU and I'm such a SU stamper.

Smile. no one knows what you're really thinking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why this thread can't be kept going. It doesn't have to be permanent forum. We just keep it going and then start a new thread with a slighly different name when we reach the limit on posts. It's been started by users just like any other thread. Isn't that right? Or is there something I'm missing?

I'm probably about 70% SU. I still favor their stamps and paper especially. Love the newer matching punch and stamp sets.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Question Heat and Stick Powder Question

Isn't it possible to just sprinkle some glitter on with some embossing powder or on top of craft ink that isn't dry yet and then heat it? Wouldn't the glitter stick, or do you definitely need the heat and stick powder.

Or couldn't you just use CE on trees or a defined area instead of heat and stick powder? Maybe I'm not thinking about H & S the right way..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #62  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
Always wanted to try the Cracked Glass Tech.....thanks!
Cracked glass is fun, definitely gets some oooh's and aaah's. Here's a card I made using the technique (and Glassu Glaze EP).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #63  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSaucyStamperView Post
I understand that SCS has sponsered companies but also lately I feel the General Stamping Talk forum is primarily sponsored threads, at least on the first page. JMO.
BTW, There is a way that you can click a box somewhere and avoid seeing all those other member company posts on the first page. I did it and now I don't have to cull through all those threads to see something I might be interested in!!! Love it! (( I can't for the life of me remember how I did it though, someone else may remember! Anyone?))

I'm not a demo, I just prefer me my SU! so I'd love a place we could talk about releases and stuff without some of the negativity that comes out in the general forum. I think the demos have that kind of freedom on their side. Maybe if we could have our own forum we could get back to sharing info and excitement and then maybe some demos would come back out and play with us! (We promise to sneeze into our sleeves!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #64  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClownmomView Post
You can opt out of having the member company's discussion appear on the first page of General Stamping discussions. Read the directions on the first post of the forum.
Thanks Lois! You da girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #65  
Mad Swapper

I agree with Betsy. I'm not against SU threads, but I think it would be wrong to have an SU only section like the other Member Companies have, considering they pay to have that.

I like Stampin' Up a lot, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of traffic if you use "SU" in the title of your thread like someone else suggested. Personally, I use it all-- so the more the merrier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #66  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
Isn't it possible to just sprinkle some glitter on with some embossing powder or on top of craft ink that isn't dry yet and then heat it? Wouldn't the glitter stick, or do you definitely need the heat and stick powder.

Or couldn't you just use CE on trees or a defined area instead of heat and stick powder? Maybe I'm not thinking about H & S the right way..
You can mix glitter with embossing powder and it is very pretty. But you will have a glittery embossing powder and not a totally glittered look. It's just different. The craft ink won't hold the glitter by itself. Yes, you can use crystal effects or liquid glue to hold glitter. But the beauty of heat and stick powder is that it gives you the ability to glitter an image stamped with Versamark or craft ink. It's one of my favorite things and is also good to use with flocking and Pearl Ex.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOVE SU!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 04:22 AM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
I would LOVE an SU Forum within General Stamping. Jenn Balcer, where are you? Could you do that, have it within this forum? Kinda like we got the MDS Forum within the demo area? Doesn't need to be like a Member Company.

It's great to be able to post to this thread, but if someone is asking a question, people won't see if unless that question will be a separate thread.

I'm a demo who LOVES to teach people to stamp, so I'd love to be here to answer questions and such. One tip for everyone posting their creations to the Gallery. If your card uses only SU products, please put SUO (Stampin Up Only) in the keywords section. There are lots of us SU lovers who got tired of wading through all the other stamps looking for SU ones in the latest additions to the Gallery. So a lot of us look mostly, or only at the cards that have SUO in the keyword. If you put SUO there, your card will still appear in the General Gallery and in the area where you put it (under the stamp set name, etc), but will ALSO come up for those searching for SUO. I went to the SUO page, and bookmarked that, then dragged it down to make it a button. So when I want to see the latest SUO additions, I just click on that button, then on "more" at the end of the first 4 cards which are displayed on that SU Only page in the Gallery.

Hope this helps someone!
Thanks for that tip!

I think SCS should have a SU message area. I realize the other companies pay to have their section... but SU has their own demo section here. Can't we have just one little section for us non-demos? Talking about SU is how SCS started, I think they need to go back to their roots some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #69  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 793 Likes on 572 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAmomof2View Post
Cracked glass is fun, definitely gets some oooh's and aaah's. Here's a card I made using the technique (and Glassu Glaze EP).
Christel .... Thanks for sharing your pretty card using the cracked glass technique .... I'll bet your friend has this encouraging card on display!

~ Rita

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post

Hope this helps someone!
I just typed in SUO and was amazed! From now on I will put that in my keywords first! I will go see if I can make a button too. Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #71  
Glitter Guru

Member companies pay for the privilege of having a spot all their own and SU can do that too. Perhaps SU does not realize how strongly thier customers want a SU spot here on SCS.

SU has a very long history of listening to its customers. So, perhaps if enough customers and demos contacted SU and expressed a desire to have an SU only spot here on SCS, they would become a member company.

SU is well aware of SCS and is aware of what a strong community SCS is, so I feel confident that if enough customers and SCS members contacted them directly they would, at the very least, consider the request.

An SU only section would be a huge plus for the SCS members who are SUO or SU mostly.

JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
I agree with Betsy. I'm not against SU threads, but I think it would be wrong to have an SU only section like the other Member Companies have, considering they pay to have that.

I like Stampin' Up a lot, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of traffic if you use "SU" in the title of your thread like someone else suggested. Personally, I use it all-- so the more the merrier!
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #73  
Die Cut Diva

Default Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteratiView Post
You can mix glitter with embossing powder and it is very pretty. But you will have a glittery embossing powder and not a totally glittered look. It's just different. The craft ink won't hold the glitter by itself. Yes, you can use crystal effects or liquid glue to hold glitter. But the beauty of heat and stick powder is that it gives you the ability to glitter an image stamped with Versamark or craft ink. It's one of my favorite things and is also good to use with flocking and Pearl Ex.
Thank you! That helps a lot!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

This is one example- the worst for me- of the posts on this thread that really annoyed me.

There may be thousands of members who come here for SU. SU may be the reason this site started. Su may have great products that people want to talk about.

BUT..........

This site is no longer affiliated with SU in any way! The couple who started it for her SU downline have SOLD it to a corporation. It is now a business and SU, as another corporation, has chosen NOT to become a member company.

This is a great place for learning and meeting other crafters. It has many member companies who PAY to support it and keep it going. SU is NOT one of those companies! That SCS has allowed the demo side to continue amazes me- and I don't understand why the other member companies have not demanded that it be shut down.

I find the sentiment "we'll just have to reclaim the forums for ourselves" incredibly offensive. For years, SU leeched onto SCS and had a free marketing service. Now that the situation has changed, SU refuses to support the site that was its biggest online supporter.

I have no problem with people starting threads about SU products and techniques. However, the sentiment that somehow other have "taken over" this site, and that this is somehow wrong, is amazingly arrogant and lacking in the recognition that SU has no more claim to SCS anymore than any other stamping company that gets mentioned by the posters.

When and if SU steps up and supports this site, they will deserve a forum like the other member companies. Until then, they are just another stamp company and deserve NO special treatment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #75  
Insane Embellisher

Yes I would like to join a SU forum, I have so many of there products and forget what to do with them. I did recently do a resist emboss--it was fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #76  

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
For years, SU leeched onto SCS and had a free marketing service.
Wow. LOL :cool: I'm sorry you were so annoyed.

Your post is a case in point about why we need a happy SUO place to be, however, so I am glad you posted.

Not the point you probably intended to make... but posting on a positive SU thread calling SU a "leech"... I think "a" point has definitely been made. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #77  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

Positive is good, we need more of it here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #78  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Glossy Glaze is essentially Ultra-Thick Embossing Enamel (UTEE) and can be used for the same sorts of projects. It is EP that is ground coarser than standard EP. It's great for coating dominos, doing Cracked Glass technique and anywhere you want a nice thick coat of clear EP without too much detail. HTH!
Can someone pleeeeeeeeeeeease explain the cracked glass technique to me. i want to try it so bad but the way I was doing it did not work. Thanks. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #79  

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber_smith1983View Post
Can someone pleeeeeeeeeeeease explain the cracked glass technique to me. i want to try it so bad but the way I was doing it did not work. Thanks. :confused:
Stamp your image, coat the entire cardstock piece with Versamark ink, sprinkle Glassy Glaze EP over the whole thing, and heat set. Repeat the Glassy Glaze step twice immediately, then stick the piece in the freezer for a few minutes. When you take it out, bend and twist the cardstock and the Glassy Glaze will crack. The more you bend and twist it, the more cracks.

If you want you can rub Chocolate Chip craft ink into the cracks to make them more pronounced and the glass will look kind of vintage. It's really cool--worth the work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #80  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Your post is a case in point about why we need a happy SUO place to be, however, so I am glad you posted.
You may WANT a happy SUO place, but you are clearly not entitled to it here- and THAT is my point.

Maybe SU should FINALLY step up after all these years and provide you with that place.
Reply With Quote Likes