Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Are you interested in SU only discussion thread?
I'll be checking and participating often 180 57.14%
I'll wait to see what others do 9 2.86%
It's already happening elsewhere 26 8.25%
Don't care one way or another 101 32.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #201  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
If you print a digital scrapbook page or a digitally created background, doesn't that suck a lot of ink? Just wondering...
Yes, it does--and the quality is just not there on home printers--which is why for the best results you should use a print service, such as Stampin' Up provides. Home is fine if you're just printing out a couple images to punch out and color or whatever, or making a quick card, but I would use the professional services unless you like shelling out for cartridges
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:33 AM   #202  

Quote:

I want the butterfly reaally bad. But since I haven't had the BS very long, I've decided to save that purchase until maybe March. It will make more sense to me then.
I just cut some butterflies from Decor Elements sheets and put them on my craft room wall. That was really cool! I am looking forward to cutting snowflakes with white DE and having some really cute and original winter decor on my Riding Hood Red walls this year. Ya gotta try those DE sheets!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #203  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pamela, I quite often use my stamps unmounted. Actually, I've gotten so I rarely mount them unless I need to demo a set. It's just easier for me. I guess I consider it to be the best of both worlds, lol! I've always loved the fact that when I do mount them, I can do it however I want rather than however the manufacturer decides. For instance, I tend to mount alphabet stamps in the lower corner of the block to make it easier to place accurately. Some folks like to mount sayings all the way to the side of the block so they just have to line up the left side of the block when positioning the stamp. It's great just having a choice, kwim?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #204  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
You don't have to mount them if you don't want to. It is a personal choice. They come unassembled, though they are die-cut already for you. No un-mounting necessary.

Stampin' Up has said they will not go into another form of stamps until they can insure the quality of the images as well as the products themselves, which is just not there with clear and unmounted stamps right now. I am so glad to work for a company that is interested in protecting the integrity of their products over profit and is not willing to sacrifice the quality of the stamped image for a market fad, which would devalue their good name in a hurry. They take the long view, which I appreciate!
AHA!! So that is why SU has not jumped on the clear stamp bandwagon. Thanks so much for telling me. I agree with you, they do have excellent quality and I would be very disappointed to get something that was not up to their usual standards. To tell the truth, I really like the wood mounts. There is something about the way they fit my hand that is soothing (OK so I am a little weird comes from being married to a woodworker, I guess). I really have no clue what all is involved with taking su stamps and converting them to the clear bases. Since they are already unmounted, I was having trouble understanding why my friends did not like to do so in the first place.

I do like the new die cuts. I have a big scar at the base of my thumb on my cutting hand that makes cutting that rubber hard to do for more than one or two stamps at a time. My SU Demo lady (she quit when she had a baby) used to mount them for me in exchange for using them a time or two in a class.

Is there a e-mail for SU for comments or suggestions or is the best way to have a SU demonstrator pass along a comment? I would love to be able to purchase bigger packs of the whisper white paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #205  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadiejane929View Post
Is there a e-mail for SU for comments or suggestions or is the best way to have a SU demonstrator pass along a comment? I would love to be able to purchase bigger packs of the whisper white paper.
http://www.stampinup.com/us/enu/7.asp Here is the page from the Stampin' Up website with the contact info. I would ask your demo to put your suggestion in the Demo Suggestion Box on the demo website as well. Never hurts to ask, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #206  
Pearl-ExPert

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #207  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
I just cut some butterflies from Decor Elements sheets and put them on my craft room wall. That was really cool! I am looking forward to cutting snowflakes with white DE and having some really cute and original winter decor on my Riding Hood Red walls this year. Ya gotta try those DE sheets!!!
Ok, so have you taken any DE down from your walls yet? Did they come off cleanly? My walls are textured. Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #208  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
Good morning all! I am one of the 100 who promised to participate in the thread and I have certainly been reading it...

So a couple things I am up to--and you can help hold me accountable because I need it!-- is that for 2 projects I am working on, I NEED to make at least one card every evening I am home. You know how you can get sidetracked. So please, please, somebody PM me, ask me in some way if I have made my card for the day! Unless I am physically out of the house or involved in company, I have to produce.

Ahhh thank you!

Have you made your card today?

Can someone tell me if the top note die is a bigz one or would I be able to use it in the original sizzix? ta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #209  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
Have you made your card today?

Can someone tell me if the top note die is a bigz one or would I be able to use it in the original sizzix? ta
It's a Bigz.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #210  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the answer .. although it's not what I wanted to hear LOL I've been putting off upgrading my old red machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #211  
Embossing Fanatic

<feeling out of the loop> What is DE? It seems you are referring to the vinyl cut designs that you can place on your walls but I am not really sure and don't want to assume it is then find out it isn't. (Do you guys ever do that, too?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #212  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm surprised no one has jumped in to answer your question yet, pattylt. Yes, DE is the vinyl decor elements that Stampin' Up! makes for walls and other surfaces like mirrors and even cars.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #213  

Quote:

Ok, so have you taken any DE down from your walls yet? Did they come off cleanly? My walls are textured. Hope you don't mind all the questions.
Yes, I have, taken it off painted and wood surfaces and it did not leave a mark at all. Once you get the edge started, it just peels off cleanly. The trick would be to get the edge started without gouging the paint--go slowly!

ETA: no I don't mind questions!! I would love to do an "ask a demo" type forum. I am so nuts about SU and stamping, I just love to talk shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #214  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I want the butterfly reaally bad. But since I haven't had the BS very long, I've decided to save that purchase until maybe March. It will make more sense to me then.
I bought the butterfly die last spring and I love it! I used it many times to make embellishments for cards and scrap pages. My favorite technique is to emboss white core CS with the texturze plate or an embossing folder. Cut out the butterflies and sand on the raised embossing.

What I'd like to see is SU to come out with a butterfly stamp that matches the die cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #215  
Pearl-ExPert

Default great idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SageBrushView Post
I bought the butterfly die last spring and I love it! I used it many times to make embellishments for cards and scrap pages. My favorite technique is to emboss white core CS with the texturze plate or an embossing folder. Cut out the butterflies and sand on the raised embossing.

What I'd like to see is SU to come out with a butterfly stamp that matches the die cuts.
Thanks for the idea. I keep wanting to sand some embossed white core paper but haven't gotten to that yet. That would be cool if there were a matching stamp! From your lips to Shelli's ears!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #216  
Insane Embellisher

I've tried CS from other companies, but I love my matching CS, DP, Inks, Markers, etc., and I've just invested in the Watercolor crayons, can't wait to play with them. I own all 48 colors of CS, markers, Classic Ink Pads, plus the neutrals like black, brown, white, very vanilla. Right now I only own two of the 5 sets of watercolor wonder crayons. Hmmm, and the chalk set, too!

It seems like no matter what other products I buy, I always come back to the quality of the SU CS - I love it's solid color core and really am not crazy about white core CS.

I do purchase stamp sets from other companies, but that's about it!

I'd love to see a technique area for SU products, like liquid glass - maybe what all the uses are for it!

Other things: watercolor crayons, and especially those aqua pens - whenever I use them, I end up with too much water on my image! Help!

Also, is it possible to watercolor using the SU markers?

Also, is it just me, or do the SU watercolor pencil tips break easy? I've had a terrible time with mine! (I don't think there are enough color choices, either!) What am I doing wrong? I don't use alot of pressure when I use the pencils and the points seem soft. Help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #217  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I tend to mount alphabet stamps in the lower corner of the block to make it easier to place accurately. Some folks like to mount sayings all the way to the side of the block so they just have to line up the left side of the block when positioning the stamp. It's great just having a choice, kwim?
Besty - what a great tip about mounting alphabet stamps on the corners! That's what I'm going to do from now on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #218  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
I've tried CS from other companies, but I love my matching CS, DP, Inks, Markers, etc., and I've just invested in the Watercolor crayons, can't wait to play with them. I own all 48 colors of CS, markers, Classic Ink Pads, plus the neutrals like black, brown, white, very vanilla. Right now I only own two of the 5 sets of watercolor wonder crayons. Hmmm, and the chalk set, too!

It seems like no matter what other products I buy, I always come back to the quality of the SU CS - I love it's solid color core and really am not crazy about white core CS.

I do purchase stamp sets from other companies, but that's about it!

I'd love to see a technique area for SU products, like liquid glass - maybe what all the uses are for it!

Other things: watercolor crayons, and especially those aqua pens - whenever I use them, I end up with too much water on my image! Help!

Also, is it possible to watercolor using the SU markers?

Also, is it just me, or do the SU watercolor pencil tips break easy? I've had a terrible time with mine! (I don't think there are enough color choices, either!) What am I doing wrong? I don't use alot of pressure when I use the pencils and the points seem soft. Help!

I rub my marker on a plastic lid then use my aqua painter to pick up the color.

You may have gotten a bunch of pencils that may have gotten dropped in shipping (at some point along the line). You can superglue the tips back on, let it dry and then sharpen again. HTH some!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #219  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another way to watercolor with the markers is to just swipe the tip of a blender pen along the brush of the marker...I've done this many a time. I just hold a fistful of markers in my left hand and then color with the blender pen in my right. This is pretty much just for small areas, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #220  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
I have found that I prefer using a SU blender pen with my crayons. I feel like I have more control that way. I just dip the tip of the pen in water, and pick up the color straight off the crayon. If I feel the pen is too wet, I just tap it on a paper towel.

I have a question re: the watercolor crayons. What paper and ink works best with these? I'm having fairly good success using the GP white, but I just can't help thinking I could get better results with something else. I have tried the Gink K. but no matter which ink I use, and no matter how long I let it dry, my colors turn out gray because I'm picking up the ink when I blend. I'm not crazy about spending the money on watercolor paper, though I will if I have to. I'd just like to know if there's some other combination that works. The black ink pads I've tried are Stazon, Brilliance graphite, and Memento Tuxedo black.

ETA: and heat setting hasn't worked either. I just would like to know if I can actually use a better quality paper with the crayons. If not, I'll keep using the GP white.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #221  
Pearl-ExPert

Help! Can I color on tiles with my SU chalks? Will it stay? I'm going to try to make coasters for Christmas presents, but don't want to have to buy new inks to do it.

I have Stazon Black, Red and Green. SU chalks, SU ink pads, SU markers and a few SU craft ink spots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #222  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy929View Post
Help! Can I color on tiles with my SU chalks? Will it stay? I'm going to try to make coasters for Christmas presents, but don't want to have to buy new inks to do it.

I have Stazon Black, Red and Green. SU chalks, SU ink pads, SU markers and a few SU craft ink spots.
You would have to be able to seal them with something otherwise the first wet glass would ruin it. I'm not sure whether a spray on sealer would work well enough. Maybe Mod Podge?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #223  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

You would have to be able to seal them with something otherwise the first wet glass would ruin it. I'm not sure whether a spray on sealer would work well enough. Maybe Mod Podge?
Do you mean if I use the chalks I would have to seal it? I've read of others heat setting theirs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #224  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Do you mean if I use the chalks I would have to seal it? I've read of others heat setting theirs.
People have heat set the inks the used, I haven't seen anything about heat setting chalk. Maybe it would work if you stamped the image in versamark and then colored the image with chalks. Is that what you meant? I was thinking you meant stamping an image that needed to be colored in. I guess the only thing to do would be to get some tiles and try some things out. Maybe others will have ideas if you post it under a general thread.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 01:47 AM   #225  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
I have found that I prefer using a SU blender pen with my crayons. I feel like I have more control that way. I just dip the tip of the pen in water, and pick up the color straight off the crayon. If I feel the pen is too wet, I just tap it on a paper towel.

I have a question re: the watercolor crayons. What paper and ink works best with these? I'm having fairly good success using the GP white, but I just can't help thinking I could get better results with something else. I have tried the Gink K. but no matter which ink I use, and no matter how long I let it dry, my colors turn out gray because I'm picking up the ink when I blend. I'm not crazy about spending the money on watercolor paper, though I will if I have to. I'd just like to know if there's some other combination that works. The black ink pads I've tried are Stazon, Brilliance graphite, and Memento Tuxedo black.

ETA: and heat setting hasn't worked either. I just would like to know if I can actually use a better quality paper with the crayons. If not, I'll keep using the GP white.
For the WWCs and an aqua painter, I've found that SU!'s whisper white works pretty will. With the GP, I found that there was some pilling which may be what's giving you the color mess. Of course, watercolor paper is another solution. Sounds like all of the inks that you're using should work so no suggestions there, though I typically use StazOn.

Are you really wetting your blender pen with water? Is it an old one that's run out of "solution"? If not, do you realize that you can pick up the color from the WWCs with just what's in the blender pen alone (no water added)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #226  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

When I used chalks on tiles, I use a spray sealer (bought at Wal-mart) to cover. Quick spray and quick drying....works well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:34 AM   #227  

I also use a spray sealer to seal things like tile - it works very well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #228  

Quote:

I imagine, if you're using a waterproof ink, that it is the paper that is the problem... try Whisper White. Shimmer White is DA BOMB, though, if you can get it! It doesn't soak up nearly the water. I also often use Confetti White because it is so heavy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #229  
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:

Although I've used watercolor paper a few times, SU's Shimmery White cardstock is my go-to paper of choice...always. Also, I use my aquapainter, & keep paper towel handy to blot off any excess water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #230  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the responses to my question about the crayons. I'll have to try the SU whisper white paper. I actually don't get this color mess on the GP white, I seem to get it on really smooth paper. But on the GP white, it does sometimes pill up, though if I use very little water and a light touch, I get pretty good results. But I would love to be able to blend a little more because I feel like I can do that better with the crayons rather than the markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #231  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
For the WWCs and an aqua painter, I've found that SU!'s whisper white works pretty will. With the GP, I found that there was some pilling which may be what's giving you the color mess. Of course, watercolor paper is another solution. Sounds like all of the inks that you're using should work so no suggestions there, though I typically use StazOn.

Are you really wetting your blender pen with water? Is it an old one that's run out of "solution"? If not, do you realize that you can pick up the color from the WWCs with just what's in the blender pen alone (no water added)?
Yes, I was using an old one. I got some new ones on my last SU order, but I haven't really used my crayons since I got the new ones. I think I'm going to play with them this weekend, so I'll get out my new blender pens then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 04:31 AM   #232  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I love this method! I bought a new pack of blender pens. I dab it a few times on the blunt end of the watercolor crayon, and color away. I am not an artist, or even a master colorer, but I think this method gives pretty nice results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #233  
Crimping Master

I have never tried the Watercolor Crayons, don't own them. I use the chalks and Prismacolor Pencils (yes, I know this thread is about SU stuff.....I started with the watercolor pencils and expanded). I use Ranger's Archival Ink (yes, again I know that is not SU but, it is the blackest ink on the market and does not smear when you do watercoloring), IMO.

Other than that, I love SU products....I have not tried anyone elses white cardstock. Though I do use watercolor paper from a non-SU source, it is similar to SU.

My father, before he passed away, gave me all his Derwent and Prismacolor Pencils, crayons, art books and watercolor paper. I was even fortunate enough that he showed me how he used them. The art books have been good from the standpoint of getting a handle on perspective, shading, etc. He was an incredibly talented man!

Sorry, I rambled......thoughts of Dad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #234  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
I have never tried the Watercolor Crayons, don't own them. I use the chalks and Prismacolor Pencils (yes, I know this thread is about SU stuff.....I started with the watercolor pencils and expanded). I use Ranger's Archival Ink (yes, again I know that is not SU but, it is the blackest ink on the market and does not smear when you do watercoloring), IMO.

Other than that, I love SU products....I have not tried anyone elses white cardstock. Though I do use watercolor paper from a non-SU source, it is similar to SU.

My father, before he passed away, gave me all his Derwent and Prismacolor Pencils, crayons, art books and watercolor paper. I was even fortunate enough that he showed me how he used them. The art books have been good from the standpoint of getting a handle on perspective, shading, etc. He was an incredibly talented man!

Sorry, I rambled......thoughts of Dad.
No worries, I do the same thing from time to time. Sounds like your dad left you some wonderful things. My dad loved to draw, and was very talented at drawing cartoons. He used to make comic strips.

Okay, I won't hijack anymore. Carry on with SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #235  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I love this method! I bought a new pack of blender pens. I dab it a few times on the blunt end of the watercolor crayon, and color away. I am not an artist, or even a master colorer, but I think this method gives pretty nice results.
Yep, I love doing this too - and I use Stazon black to stamp my images as I find it gives such a clear defined waterproof image. I started using Stazon black just for stamping images I am going to watercolor but realised that I much prefer it over the waterbased classic black pad so I now use my stazon in place of it - love it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #236  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Thanks for the responses to my question about the crayons. I'll have to try the SU whisper white paper. I actually don't get this color mess on the GP white, I seem to get it on really smooth paper. But on the GP white, it does sometimes pill up, though if I use very little water and a light touch, I get pretty good results. But I would love to be able to blend a little more because I feel like I can do that better with the crayons rather than the markers.
Sometimes in addition to a light touch, I let the paper dry, and then go over it. It helps to avoid excessive piling if any. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #237  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by willsygirlView Post
Yep, I love doing this too - and I use Stazon black to stamp my images as I find it gives such a clear defined waterproof image. I started using Stazon black just for stamping images I am going to watercolor but realised that I much prefer it over the waterbased classic black pad so I now use my stazon in place of it - love it
Me too. Once I discovered the purplish tones in the basic black, I switched over to Stazon black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #238  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Me too. Once I discovered the purplish tones in the basic black, I switched over to Stazon black.
I thought I had a defective pad!! Is this common with the SU black or has the purply tones been corrected if I buy a new one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #239  
Watercolor Wizard

It's my understanding that there is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes, I am happy with the results, but other times I'm not. If I go with the Stazon, I know I'll always be happy with the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #240  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadiejane929View Post
I thought I had a defective pad!! Is this common with the SU black or has the purply tones been corrected if I buy a new one?
I have found that keeping your Basic Black pad sufficiently reinked you can keep the purple at bay.
Reply With Quote Likes