Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you get custom card orders, how do you . . . .

If you get custom card orders, how do you process the order? I mean do you have a form you fill out with all their info, what they want, how many, cost, etc? Do you require a deposit?

If you have a form, what does it look like, if I may ask?

Thanks.

Trish
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I get a deposit to cover the order of supplies plus some - generally over half of the total cost. Other than that I just right it on a piece of paper with the 'sample' to be made. Since I have only done it for a few friends/family this works. But if it were for anyone I didn't really know your idea sounds good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

same as above, I've only done orders for friends or family.
so usually i just write it down on my notebook and require atleast half to buy supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I just put the info in an email and depending on the person, I will collect the cost of the supplies.

One thing that is important is that I get confirmation on "exactly" what the final card/project will be. If there are computer printed information (ex. invitations), I have them send me what they want and confirm the text before printing.

I was making 70 grad invitations and the text the customer/friend sent me had the wrong address and if I had not had her confirm she would have never seen that she had a typo.

The hardest part for me is figuring out how much charge. I always feel like I'm charging too much until I've made about 30 and I'm really sick of making them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I just put the info in an email and depending on the person, I will collect the cost of the supplies.

One thing that is important is that I get confirmation on "exactly" what the final card/project will be. If there are computer printed information (ex. invitations), I have them send me what they want and confirm the text before printing.

I was making 70 grad invitations and the text the customer/friend sent me had the wrong address and if I had not had her confirm she would have never seen that she had a typo.

The hardest part for me is figuring out how much charge. I always feel like I'm charging too much until I've made about 30 and I'm really sick of making them!
tee hee...me too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so far I haven't asked for a deposit, maybe that's crazy. But all has gone well and I've never ran into a problem. Your post made me think, though, and maybe for new clients from now on I will ask for half up front. I think for repeat customers I wouldn't ask. That's one good thing about living in a smaller town, you know people and they know you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's one good thing about living in a smaller town, you know people and they know you.

One of many good things about small towns! I might add!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
That's one good thing about living in a smaller town, you know people and they know you.

One of many good things about small towns! I might add!
Yes, true! I wouldn't trade it at all. I love living in a smaller town.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
Yes, true! I wouldn't trade it at all. I love living in a smaller town.
I agree. I live in a small town (2500 people or so) and when someone asks me where I live, I don't give them my physical address, I just tell them I live in Victor and Mary Lee's house. They know exactly what house I am in. They lived in the house for over 35 years.

Thanks for all the great advice and answers.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2010, 06:37 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

ME TOO!!! I always thinking I'm charging way too much until I actually sit down and cost figure and then I wonder "WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?!?"

To the OP: I've only ever charged deposits or written contracts if I'm doing something in large quantities and / or a large event.

For example: I did a 1 year old's birthday party, which was a rockstar theme (very cute). Not only was I doing invitations but thank you notes, decor and favors so I outlined everything in an informal contract which was reviewed and signed by the customer and then I provided a sample of each product before I made a boatload of them. Emailed her the sample and printed out her reply. I did this over and over again if she made changes but she didn't make a lot of changes. I didn't make a whole lot of money on this project because of that mistake.

Since then, I've made the samples BEFORE I priced out the project and sent a contract. That way, I can factor in the cost of all the time put into revisions in the final cost. I also only took a 25% deposit, which I've raised to 50%.

Again, I've only done this on projects where I'm commissioned to make lots of product in bulk (i.e. wedding invitations, whole party packs, etc). Most of my customers only order 5 - 10 cards a month from me and in various form (a couple of birthdays, an anniversary, etc) so I don't charge a deposit but I do get my money up front.

Hope all the suggestions help!
Reply With Quote Likes