Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   If you get custom card orders, how do you . . . . (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/if-you-get-custom-card-orders-how-do-you-491886/)

mouseprints 05-21-2010 12:52 PM

If you get custom card orders, how do you . . . .

If you get custom card orders, how do you process the order? I mean do you have a form you fill out with all their info, what they want, how many, cost, etc? Do you require a deposit?

If you have a form, what does it look like, if I may ask?

Thanks.

Trish

shayles 05-21-2010 01:10 PM

I get a deposit to cover the order of supplies plus some - generally over half of the total cost. Other than that I just right it on a piece of paper with the 'sample' to be made. Since I have only done it for a few friends/family this works. But if it were for anyone I didn't really know your idea sounds good.

creatingisfun 05-21-2010 01:18 PM

same as above, I've only done orders for friends or family.
so usually i just write it down on my notebook and require atleast half to buy supplies.

stamphappy1650 05-21-2010 06:24 PM

I just put the info in an email and depending on the person, I will collect the cost of the supplies.

One thing that is important is that I get confirmation on "exactly" what the final card/project will be. If there are computer printed information (ex. invitations), I have them send me what they want and confirm the text before printing.

I was making 70 grad invitations and the text the customer/friend sent me had the wrong address and if I had not had her confirm she would have never seen that she had a typo.

The hardest part for me is figuring out how much charge. I always feel like I'm charging too much until I've made about 30 and I'm really sick of making them!

dougnat 05-21-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 (Post 16727553)
I just put the info in an email and depending on the person, I will collect the cost of the supplies.

One thing that is important is that I get confirmation on "exactly" what the final card/project will be. If there are computer printed information (ex. invitations), I have them send me what they want and confirm the text before printing.

I was making 70 grad invitations and the text the customer/friend sent me had the wrong address and if I had not had her confirm she would have never seen that she had a typo.

The hardest part for me is figuring out how much charge. I always feel like I'm charging too much until I've made about 30 and I'm really sick of making them!

tee hee...me too!

cardmaker2 05-21-2010 07:18 PM

so far I haven't asked for a deposit, maybe that's crazy. But all has gone well and I've never ran into a problem. Your post made me think, though, and maybe for new clients from now on I will ask for half up front. I think for repeat customers I wouldn't ask. That's one good thing about living in a smaller town, you know people and they know you.

michellesscrap 05-22-2010 12:03 AM

That's one good thing about living in a smaller town, you know people and they know you.

One of many good things about small towns! I might add!

cardmaker2 05-22-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrap (Post 16728255)
That's one good thing about living in a smaller town, you know people and they know you.

One of many good things about small towns! I might add!

Yes, true! I wouldn't trade it at all. I love living in a smaller town.

mouseprints 05-22-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2 (Post 16729632)
Yes, true! I wouldn't trade it at all. I love living in a smaller town.

I agree. I live in a small town (2500 people or so) and when someone asks me where I live, I don't give them my physical address, I just tell them I live in Victor and Mary Lee's house. They know exactly what house I am in. They lived in the house for over 35 years.

Thanks for all the great advice and answers.

Trish

mama2oliviamae 05-23-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 (Post 16727553)

ME TOO!!! I always thinking I'm charging way too much until I actually sit down and cost figure and then I wonder "WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?!?"

To the OP: I've only ever charged deposits or written contracts if I'm doing something in large quantities and / or a large event.

For example: I did a 1 year old's birthday party, which was a rockstar theme (very cute). Not only was I doing invitations but thank you notes, decor and favors so I outlined everything in an informal contract which was reviewed and signed by the customer and then I provided a sample of each product before I made a boatload of them. Emailed her the sample and printed out her reply. I did this over and over again if she made changes but she didn't make a lot of changes. I didn't make a whole lot of money on this project because of that mistake.

Since then, I've made the samples BEFORE I priced out the project and sent a contract. That way, I can factor in the cost of all the time put into revisions in the final cost. I also only took a 25% deposit, which I've raised to 50%.

Again, I've only done this on projects where I'm commissioned to make lots of product in bulk (i.e. wedding invitations, whole party packs, etc). Most of my customers only order 5 - 10 cards a month from me and in various form (a couple of birthdays, an anniversary, etc) so I don't charge a deposit but I do get my money up front.

Hope all the suggestions help!