View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #4607
flash&rusty
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneo View Post
3. Don't over make but go for variety...
I usually have lots of my tried and true items that sell very well from year to year, and each year I will have three or four new items. I will usually only make a dozen at most of those new items so that I can gauge how they will sell. If they sell well, then I make note of it so that I have more for next year, if they don't sell well, then I am not stuck with a whole ton of them. I learned that the hard way - I made (what I considered to be) the most adorable "survival" bags - they were very nice SU brown striped bags/boxes from the Clearance rack. I made 20 each of 4 different types - a get well one (had pocket sized tissues, Liptons chicken soup packets, chamomile tea packs, fruit snacks, pocket sized crossword puzzle book with pencil, and other random stuff), a chocolate fix one, and two more that I can't remember now. Anyway, I sold exactly - NONE! So I had to take back 80 kits - unpack them all, ate Liptons soup for a month, and still have the crossword puzzle books. Oh, and I hate tea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneo View Post
8. This one is going to be VERY controversial. I may get hate mail over it. I LOVE making paper crafts. But I don't like making things that are just going to be looked at, wrappers opened, and tossed. Do I really want to dress up a candy bar and triple or quadruple the price to make money? Does that show my talent or creativity? The craft needs to evolve. Make some of the pictures with different designs or larger framed pieces. Or banners or pennants that can be used over and over. You can do amazing things with paper! That adorable Santa you wrapped a candy bar up as could be in a frame or ornament instead and used year after year instead of tossed. You can increase your price for the item and it'll last a lot longer than the memory of eating the candy bar.
No hate mail here, just a valid opinion. I find that having some small ticket items helps draw people to your booth. Also, I try to market things like that as "great stocking stuffers, or great teachers/bus drivers/crossing guard, etc gifts. Once there, they might stay a while and buy the bigger ticket items. If not, they may just walk away with only the smaller ticket items, but in the end they still bought something. I have heard complaints the other way - "her items are so beautiful but I just can't afford/have no room for such a large/expensive piece. I wish she had something small to buy".

This year, I am trying to market some of my items (I sell at a combined craft table at our church's annual bazaar) as recycled/repurposed/green. I made snowmen and penguins out of burned out lightbulbs, altered pringles cans to make cookie gift containers, turned Laughing Cow cheese containers into gift card holders, old tea tins into gift boxes, and the boxes that you get cheques from the bank in into boxes to hold gift tag sets.

God, I hope this stuff sells......
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!