Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrap Rack

Does anyone own a Scrap Rack? I just purchased one at the Expo and I think I will really like it. It seems like it'll be so much easier when I am trying to get ready for a crop. I never realized how much paper I own until I pulled it all out and began to organize it. Now I need additional pages and probably an expansion pack/rack.

Just wondering what folks might think about this product. It reminds me a lot of one of those racks that you can buy at an office supply store. Each page protector only holds a couple sheets of paper but it is used on desks for easy reference to regularly used information.

Buying this has inspired me to really get all my supplies organized. I am also working on stamping all the images from my various stamp sets--no easy task--so that I can put an index sheet in the various sections of my scrap rack. I will say that when I first began pulling stuff out, I felt quite overwhelmed and had to walk away from it for a day or so.

Would love to hear from others--positive and negative, cause there is something to learn from both.

Thanks!
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #2  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread will probably be interesting and helpful:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I love my ScrapRack. My only problem is that I don't have enough pages to put all of my supplies in, but I'm working on it. I've thought about ordering the exteded platform, but haven't yet. I'd like to use some of the supplies that I have already put away to make room for the rest of them. We're getting ready to move and it was so easy packing the ScrapRack for the move. Just sad that all of my scrapping stuff wasn't in it. It's easier for me to see what I have now. I guess it works well since I'm a visual person. With me, out of sight, out of mind. This system works so much better than all of the hodgepodge systems I've tried in the past. I'm thinking about carrying them in my store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

One other thing, it works for me because I am putting everything in it. Paper, cardstock, embellishments, acrylic stamps, etc. I don't have too many problems with sagging. It sags a little bit, but it doesn't bother me. The more full it is, the less it sags. I also love my dust cover. You can find the vidoes on you tube for free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadyLaneView Post
One other thing, it works for me because I am putting everything in it. Paper, cardstock, embellishments, acrylic stamps, etc. I don't have too many problems with sagging. It sags a little bit, but it doesn't bother me. The more full it is, the less it sags. I also love my dust cover. You can find the vidoes on you tube for free.
I'll check out You tube for the videos. Thanks--I forget to check there. I also think the dust cover sounds like a good investment. I am looking forward to getting everything in there and organized. I don't know if I will be able to get all my acrylic stamps in there without spending a fortune on the pages, but I am going to stamp or copy the images and put them in there. I haven't done that before and so I really don't use my stamps like I should. I have additional pages on order due in this week so I am hoping by next weekend I will have the whole thing set up.

I am a visual person too, so I think this will be very helpful. I had stuff spread everywhere and didn't use it. After sorting all my paper I don't need to buy any paper for YEARS!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/...acks/N=5+3687/

We use these at work for the counter sales people to keep catalogs in. it looks like the same type of product, only much less expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

What I like about the ScrapRack instead of the Catalog holder is that my ScrapRack is portable. It has industrial velcro to hold the spinders. I can remove the spinders I need for a crop and take everything with me. I can take my whole system if I wanted (in a wheeled crate). Much more organized and easier than how I used to pack for a crop. There is a video explaining how to pack it for a crop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

I use the catalog rack. The price was right FREE. Where I worked was throwing them out and they were free to anyone. I do not take them to crops. My friend has a scrap rack and loves it. She organized her supplies her way and now she can find any thing she wants. She did not put paper in it. She has a file box for paper.

I would highly recommend that you get one. also the Crop in style pages fit the scrap rack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Default scrap rack

I made one years ago out of wood and spiral note book spines. I couldnt take it places but it sure was nice. I used trading card sleeves to hold stickers and embellishments, made dividers for sections etc. It did sag a little, but i think if i had stronger pages it would be great. I really did like it, just no room for it now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default I love my scraprack!

I have the Scraprack and i love it. I have everything stored in it. Paper, embellishments, stickers, diecuts, ribbon etc. I do have some "extra paper" that is in the pads and I didn't put it in there. I love that it is so organized and I can find everything so quickly and easily.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up ScrapRack

I bought my ScrapRack earlier this year. It took me a couple of months to go through my supplies and load them into the Rack, but it was well worth the time and money. I can now go directly to my Rack when I'm working on a page or making a card and find exactly what I need. Plus it was a great exercise to go through all my stuff - I forgot much of what I had!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernx2View Post
I bought my ScrapRack earlier this year. It took me a couple of months to go through my supplies and load them into the Rack, but it was well worth the time and money. I can now go directly to my Rack when I'm working on a page or making a card and find exactly what I need. Plus it was a great exercise to go through all my stuff - I forgot much of what I had!!
So glad to hear it took you a couple of months. It has taken me two weeks just to get my paper in there. I am glad to have it organized and realize just how much I have. My next project is to get my embellishments in there, then stickers, then ribbon. Did you put the whole spool of ribbon in yours?

It has been overwhelming getting this project underway. I have already bought an expansion rack. I need to contact the company to find out just how much weight/pockets each spinder can hold. Anyone know????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

So glad to hear all the positive responses to this organizer. I do think once I get everything in there I will love having all my stuff organized and handy.

I have struggled with a couple of the sections. I decided to create a beach section in my themes area instead of including beach in the summer section. While summer is the most logical season for beach, we sometimes go in the Fall. I can see that as I scrap I will likely add some additional themes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default Scrap Rack

I have not included any of my paper (I have way too much!) or my ribbons/fibers. I use the Dream Dozen pages for my embellishments (brads, eyelets, etc. - all put in little bags). Sometimes they fall out when I'm flipping pages, which is a little frustrating. But all in all, I reallly like the idea of being able to see all my embellishments by colors, plus all my other themed items. I also did not include my alphabets (again - too many), but I did organize those by color and have them in another filing area so they are much easier to use than they were before. It will continue to be a work in progress!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I finally got finished putting everything in my scrap rack. It is awesome to find all my supplies so easily. I did not put my CTMH sets in there. I organized all my stamp sets differently. Stamped the images on pages and organized them in the same way but the image sheets are in a three-ring binder. I coded each set and wrote that code on the set envelope or box. Having all my stamp images in one place is fabulous! I cannot believe how much more I use things now that I know where to find them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Have it, used it and now it is in the basement. Their organization ideas helped me a lot but I really hated putting my embellishments in those little plastic page protectors - always snagged my cuticles and ended up bleeding. Plus they kept falling out. Now this was 5+ years ago - so maybe the pages have changed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I LOVE my Scrap Rack!
I go to alot of scrapbooking crops, and I saw this at one, and said I must purchase one ASAP so I did. I actually asked for the holidays as one of my christmas gifts for more pages. I have more stuff than I know what to do with. I find the organizational ideas, are very helpful. Plus organizing by color helps too. I am in the process of re-doing my scrap room so I can finally put this out on a table and scrap in the room. Ill take photos once it is all done and set up.
I do have sagging issues, I realized i put to much stuff on one page (my bad)
The other issue I came across was the items falling out of the pages when going to crops. I resolved that by putting small pieces of tape to close the flaps. I also put all my buttons, brads etc. in small baggies before I stuck them in the pockets.

The other thing I noticed when I go to crops, my pages get scrunched the embellishment one's are the worst. So for the holidays I asked for the travel case, this will resolve that issue.

I do love it, and am glad that I did this I had so many duplicate items geesh..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts

I have to kind of agree with "craftyteaspoon" on the ScrapRack. I bought it at CKC in August and have been struggling with it ever since. Flipping through it easy and their organizational ideas work great for me. HOWEVER, it takes up a lot of space on my table and I am constantly battling with the flaps and stuff falling out. Tiffany was great in helping me resolve a spinder problem early on, but I'm still in a quandry.

Putting stuff into little baggies and then into the page pockets seems like double-packing to me and means more stuff to keep track of. If it's a hassle to just put away one-handed, I don't put it away and then I have a big mess. Clear drawers of all sizes seem to work really well for me. I am considering going back to my old system "tweaked" by ScrapRack's organization ideas. I just hate to ditch it because I spent so much on it and DH will never let me hear the end of it.

Please feel free to chime in and give me your two bits anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

I too have a scraprack and love it! It forced me to go through my things and purge. I actually need to purge more. I keep most of my embellies (brads, buttons, eyelets, etc.) in those plastic tackle box type containers. I have two cute green totes that have 4 boxes in each. I organize them the same way I organize scraprack-- themes, colors, etc. I take the totes and the scraprack when I go to crops. Everyone stops by and comments about the system. It is pretty pricey, but I think it is worth it if you take the time to put everything in it. It does take up a lot of room, but before I would have boxes and bins and all kinds of stuff everywhere trying to find something only to be distracted by something else I found that I didn't know I had. I am in the process of ordering the expansion for it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

This has been an excellent thread! I went to the site, watched their videos, and I have to say, were it not for the fact that I have already begun re-organizing, I would have bought one! But I too have too much stuff and lack the dedicated table top space for it. But I think the travel thingie is very cool and I may buy that and use it for crops -- especially for scraps of cardstock -- having those pages to organize them in will be excellent!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree about the baggies and embellishments. I started putting my embellishments in the bags but they do tend to fall out when I flip the pages. It was just too aggravating to keep it going so i went back to the tackle box that I used before. I bought the expansion rack because I have so much stuff that I needed the space. Had to go with more pages to keep the ones I have from sagging. With all that said, I do still love it and have really been using more of my stock now that i can find it and see what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Bought it, thinking I would love it after watching the video. Didn't like it. I didn't like how it sagged. The pages couldn't handle the weight of the embellishments. The flaps were always folding up. I sold it on ebay for a fraction of what I bought it for. bummed about that. I did keep a few of the pages and put them in a 12 x 12 three ring album. I keep my clear stamps in it, that works well for me. I bought the Clip it for all my other embellishments and I love it. Thinking of getting a second one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Default scraprack

I had bought one years ago when it had first come out. Pages sagged, the industrial strength velcro started sagging and coming off the base. For the money i paid for it I was disappointed. When I wrote to the scraprack website to complain about this I never got a response back. POOR Customer Service.

I loved the idea of the organization component and that everything would be in one place, but like many others, I had way too much stuff. I had bought the expander to go with it and it took up a lot of counter space and just looked very messy (even though it was organized). I ended up throwing it away. The velcro part was so sticky and the metal hook that held the two bases together bent (from the weight of all my stuff). I kept the spinders and pages and filed them in a filing cabinet just in the same order they were in. This works great for me. I keep all my cardstock in standing paper files by Cropper Hopper and it's easy to just pull the colors I need off the shelf (and it looks neat and organized too). I ended up buying a single unit from the best scrapbook shelf and keep all my brads, buttons, etc very organized in this. They have also come out with a great ribbon organizer too which I want to get.

So I have basically taken the whole organization concept by season, color, alpha/numeric, event and have organized my space in this way. If I want to grab a spinder from events/holidays in my filing cabinet I can still do this and it looks way neater. I need to have a clean/organized looking space... hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default Yes, it IS a Modified Catalog Rack!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvette.SView Post
We use these at work for the counter sales people to keep catalogs in. it looks like the same type of product, only much less expensive.
Yvette...

I know I'm weighing in late on this discussion, but as a satisfied Scrap Rack owner, I wanted to share my experience. I'm a former secretary so I can say with 100% certainty that the Scrap Rack is a modified catalog rack. However, the keyword is "modified". The Scrap Rack designer modified the catalog rack to meet the specific needs of papercrafters for an organizational system that is comprehensive, portable, and fits the 12x12 scrapbook footprint.

I have both the SR and the portable travel rack binder which is a modified Crop-in-Style PSB organizer. I store the SR in my CIS XXL organizer on wheels and lay the travel rack binder on top of it. Because I live in a small apartment, this is my primary papercraft storage area. I scrap on my dining room table and set my SR on a wooden TV tray beside me. With the SR, cleanup is literally a breeze! The same is true of preparing for a crop. I decide what I'm going to work on, load a couple of spinders for my travel rack, and off I go! If I know I'll have a 4'-6' table to myself, I just take the XXL tote and setup the entire SR. Folks are blown away to see the system in action.

The initial price is an investment, but worth it! BTW, I don't use SR pages. I prefer We R Memory protective pages/photo sleeves.

Hope this is helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

I have the ScrapRack (3 of them plus TONS of extra pages). I store EVERYTHING except paper in them. I know they have pages that can fit paper, but the way she shows it on the DVD it would hold 10 pieces max. Just not gonna work for somebody who has as much paper as I do. Love it for everything else though. Definitely $$$, but worth it considering all the other organizational crap I've bought over the years that didn't work. Ugh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 05:13 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I'm back to using mine. LOL. I do not have my small embellishments (brads, eyelets, etc) in it because that use to drive me nuts. But putting my sticker flowers, tags, gems, etc. in it by color is wonderful. I use to have them in different drawers very organized but I would forget about different items. I'm visual and it helps to bee able to see it all. I will not store paper in it though. I have so much and it is all different so that would be insane to put in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Here are two pictures showing my ScrapRack in use at a crop. The first one is a closeup and you can see how my pages do sag a little bit. But not enough that it bothers me. As far as things falling out of the flaps, I've only had one thing fall out and it's because the product was actually too big for the flap I had it in. The first picture is of my SR sitting on my rolling tote. It is one base unit with wings. You can see the size in realtionship to other items in the second picture.

This second picture shows my ScrapRack and crop space. I only used the table to the right. The table behind my ScrapRack was used by another cropper. My ScrapRack really helps me to keep my table clear. This picture was taken on the last morning of the weekend crop. I had just finished my 15th page and you can see that my table (to the right of the SR) is relatively clean. It was a breeze to pack up later that afternoon to go home. I was packed in less than 5 minutes. It used to take me half an hour or more to pack up after a weekend crop. It also takes me a lot less time to pack for a crop now. No more stressing over what to pack and take.

Quote:

the industrial strength velcro started sagging and coming off the base.
I think that issue has been resolved. They now have rivets to help hold the velcro on.

In April, I finished their Organization Webinars and that helped me get my SR more organized. I now have 3 base units and two sets of wings. I only take one unit with me when I go to a crop. I know the ScrapRack isn't for every scrapper, but this is my absolute favorite scrapping product. I wish I had found it when I first started scrapping. It would have saved me so many headaches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #28  
Inking Addict

Default Scrap Rack

I have a scrap rack and have been using this system for about 6 years now. In fact, I have 3 scrapracks! I had an L shaped desk that I scrapped at and the rack was on the long side of the desk. I went to move the desk last week to flip it around so I could see the TV when I scrapped and my desk split where the hardware was! Instantly the desk was garbage. DH helped me take it apart and bring it out to the curve.

It actually was a blessing, as I was wanting to redo my Diva Den (it's new name!). I purchased 2 Hon Desks to put in an L Shape and I like the sturdyness of the new tables. One is on wheels so I can move it if I need to.

I don't keep papers in the rack, nor brads, eyelets or gems. But all other ephemera, stickers, chipboard, die cuts, tags, etc. are kept in there. I have so much stuff, but the rack keeps it all organized easily.

By the way, if the pages are sagging you have overstuffed the pages.

I love the scrap rack. Getting rid of it was NOT an option for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

scrap rack has a special on now - if you order the $12 dvd/cd on organization, you will get a $25 gc off any set of the scrap rack. It's tempting. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested in this. I really liked seeing how some of you have it set up and working for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

I totally agree! I got one for Christmas and, even though it's taking me a while to get everything in there, I think it'll be awesome. That said, I find I do like other company's pages because they don't have those flaps that keep popping up. Buttons, brads, eyelets and other small embellishments work best when put in little baggies. You can get the bags in 3 different sizes at Walmart in the sewing section for $1.00/100 bags. The best thing is that I've rediscovered all my supplies that I wasn't using (but still love) because I couldn't see them. It's like Christmas all over again! Also, I do have a craft room, so can dedicate an entire 4' table to the Scrap Rack, which I know is not practical for a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

I bought one and returned it. I really wanted to like it, but it just didn't work for me. I hated how heavy it was and how much space it took up and when I loaded the sheets with my brads and embellishments they would sag down and stuff would spill out of the pockets because the little flaps have nothing to keep them closed.

I think it's an awesome idea and someone should come out with a similar binder solution that has higher quality inserts that don't spill your stuff all over :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Anyone on this thread want to get rid of their Scraprack? I'm looking to buy a gently used one at a reasonable price. If so, you can email me at [email protected], thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

anyone ever do the scraprack concept using notebook binders? Looks to me like the scraprack would always need alot of pages to keep it from sagging. If you used down your "supply amount" the rack would not lay right but notebooks might work better if they were laid flat..........just a thought
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

scraprack concept using notebook binders?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I found one of those on craigslist, for $25 works great and is very well made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #36  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

The space that it needs is a deal breaker for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Vicnvin said:
Bought it, thinking I would love it after watching the video. Didn't like it. I didn't like how it sagged. The pages couldn't handle the weight of the embellishments. The flaps were always folding up.

Vicnvin and everyone:
You have to use some dividers between the pages to support the pages and make sure it's not sitting in the upside down position (steep angle).

Last edited by ginamm; 06-25-2014 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: add quote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts

The Scraprack and I have a history. Back in 2010 I went to my first CK Convention in Charlotte, NC. Tiffany was there demonstrating, teaching and selling her gizmo. I fell in love with it immediately and bought one. Later at home I had problems with it and got lazy about putting stuff into it. Not long after, I sold it on Craigslist. Fast forward to now ... I have purchased another one. And, yes, hubby laughed at me!

This time I waited for a work bonus and bought everything I needed to start out right. It has been on my work table now for about 2 months and is filling up slowly. To force myself to follow through with the commitment to Tiffany's way of organizing, I tore apart my whole craft room. It is spread all over the upstairs of our house now. Some is hiding in the master bedroom, some in the hallway, some in the guest bath and much on one side of my room. I created an "organized only" area like Tiffany suggests and have been building that up slowly.

Now I absolutely love this thing!!! Once I got my poor little brain wrapped around the 4-section concept, I can't seem to find enough time to work on this. With a retreat coming up in mid-September, I need to kick it into high gear and finish the initial "move in" with materials so I will be ready. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE SCRAPRACK!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

If anyone wants to sell theirs... please email me at hmraymond at gmail. com Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

I love mine. You can go on the scrap rack web site and learn how to utilize it well. The tutorials are great
Reply With Quote Likes