View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #132
FallnPetal
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to FallnPetal Send a message via Yahoo to FallnPetal

I love this thread, its going under my "references" folders.

I think my greatest "make do" is something I probably shouldn't admit to; but a few years ago I was in several recipe swaps in some Yahoo Groups and kept getting the same recipes (I probably got 8 or more "taco soup" recipes which I realize are popular here but how many do you really need!) Then there were recipes that I just would never use, things my husband would laugh at if I ever tried to serve him and things just not popular with my family, so..........those recipe cards, as artful as many of them were, were scraplifted of their elements. Many of them had wonderful handmade embellishments, cool spare parts and all kind of collage papers and such that were quite useable in other ways.

Frankly I gave up on recipe swaps because of the repeat recipes I was getting and decidedly gave up on Yahoo groups because I wasn't get back the quality I was getting from other groups (and trust me, I'm not a craft snob by any means but a sticker and xeroxed recipe doesn't make a recipe swap but that's another thread.)

On another note though, I've often made lay outs, cards and other things that just didn't turn out and I have no problem ripping apart and reusing those elements that turned out on something totally new. I make do by recycling what I can, reusing things I won't keep (let's face it, we can't keep everything we receive or make) and am frugal with the never ending discussion of "how small a scrap do you save?"

But this list is making me look around at food jar labels, unique storage containers, what looks like trash and seeing it as "found art".......I'm expanding my view of things as I walk through the world and read this thread. I especially love the metal art suggestion with the tomato paste tubes.......if only we had those here!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!