This inspiration challenge was a Halloween themed art print. I don't have much in the way of Halloween stamps. I don't even have any cat stamps!! But wait! I have a Halloween stamp WITH a cat in the Party Punch set. I don't even have the punch that's supposed to go with it...yet! I thought the stamp is just too small to work with for this challenge, after all, it's supposed to be on one of those round tabby thingys. Hmmm...I could make a homemade broom to add another element from the print. But, what about that witch's hat? Clip art! Here's what happened though: I went to the gallery just to browse and found Mothermark's card which you can see here: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/706323 SHE already used the broom idea!!! I was headed back to the drawing board, very grumbly, when my DH asked what was wrong. I told him about my idea and what I had found. He told me to make mine anyway. So I followed is sage advice!
1. I stamped the Party Punch image on plain paper and ran it through my copier, enlarging it 200 percent. I copied it to the orange CS. I call him 'Punchy'!!!
2. I used a circle stencil to draw the circle on the back, holding it up to the light to center the image. Then I cut out the circle (the moon).
3. I found a witch's hat in my clipart and printed it to plain paper. It was purple with a green band. I colored it with my markers and then ran it through my Xyron Magic Sticker Maker.
4. To make the broom, I found a wooden scewer (for barbecueing) and I cut it to size. I cut raffia to size and wrapped it on the stick with red twine (My DD used up all the hemp twine making friendship bracelets!). I used fast drying adhesive to glue the broom to the card.
5. I cut the edge with Jumbo zig-zag scissors and then ran it through my CB machine with the Mesh EF. I lined the inside of the card with Lavendar Lace to strengthen the CB'd front and to show through when the card is closed.
Phew! It's done!!! Thanks for taking a peek at my 'Make Do' Halloween card and please go visit Mothermark's wonderful card too!!!
Date: Saturday, October 27, 2007 GMT Views: 1135
Registered: March 21, 2006 Location: sunny southern california Posts: 20113
Sat, Oct 27, 2007 @ 11:04 AM
I'll Whew with you! Great job. My favorite part of your design is the zig zag edge and the inverted dry embossed
BG. I'm glad you gave it a 3 in difficulty - it was alot of work that paid off well. Who's it goin' to! Me? JK. TFS
------------------------------ christine m. aka summer and weekend stalker DOT INK (My yadda yadda)
Don't magnify your problem . . .Magnify your God
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Registered: April 23, 2006 Location: Looking For Teapots! Posts: 59933
Sat, Oct 27, 2007 @ 12:49 PM
Absolutely your hubby is right! A broom is a broom and there is one on the inspiration piece! I love that you went with your original idea......This is a wonderful card...love the textured background, fun little witches hat and the black cat showcased in the moon! Your broom rocks!!!!
You really didn't have to include a link to my card...but thank you since you did!