This technique is supposed to use mulberry paper, which I don't have. So, I used a coffee filter and it worked just fine.
Doing the batik was fun, but it is not a quick process. I love batik quilting fabrics, especially purple ones, so the color choice was easy for me. Making a card with it was more difficult. When I was done with my piece of batik, I didn't want to cover it up. So decided that I would put a small sentiment on top and that would be it. I backed the 'batik' with a piece of bashful blue cardstock. The resisted areas looked softer on the blue than it did when I put white card behind it. When I selected colors for the card base and layer, I ran into problems. The lilac was perfect, but I really needed a darker color to frame the batik. Brilliant Blue did not work. Eggplant was dark enough, but it was the wrong purple. Navy and black looked awful. So, I finally got out another piece of lilac and I brayered lilac ink all over it. Presto! A darker shade of lilac! If I were to name it, I would call it grape.
The sentiment gave me almost as much trouble. At first I used white embossing on lilac. Too harsh. Then I used clear embossing on bashful blue. I sponged lilac over the top. Good enough! Then I sponged a bit of bashful blue craft ink around the edges of the base card to make it coordinate with the sentiment layer better.
More information than you needed to know!
Date: Monday, April 30, 2007 GMT Views: 936