Registered: September 6, 2005 Location: Posts: 2189
Mon, Dec 18, 2006 @ 10:34 PM
There are many directions for these under the forums area. Just type glass block into the search area for different ways to make them. Here is how I did mine:
1. Drill a hole into the bottom of the glass block. My husband used a carbide drill bit. We bought the glass blocks and the tip at Home Depot. As he drilled I sprayed water from a bottle into the hole so it would not get too hot and crack the glass. Make the hole big enought to get the wire and lights through the hole.
2. Rinse the glass block out really well to get rid of all the extra glass dust. I also rinsed with a smal amount of alcohol to clean and dry the inside a bit. Drain well upside down and keep swishing around to get all liquids out.
3. I bought a strand of 50 white lights with white wires for these. I bought them at Target. I wish I would have bought a single ended string of lights but the one I bought had a plug where you can plug another string into it. This just sort of sticks out the end of the hole a bit. Not a big deal though. Insert the whole string into the hole, this takes a little time.
4. I cut tissue paper about 61/2 X 61/2 inches and stamped the snowflkaes onto it. First I did some with Craft Bashful Blue and clear emobssed and than I did some with versamark and silver embossed. did some bigger and some smaller snowflakes.
4. I Modpodged the tissue onto the glassblcok and smoothed it real well. Be careful because the tissue will tear and I have torn it!! I sprinkled small amounts of Dazzling Diamond glitter on top also.
5. Added ribbon around all the sides and I used sticky strip to hold it in place. I than made the bow and used sticky strip again to hold it in place.
i made about 6 of these. They also sell smaller glass blocks - about 5-6 inch square and they are lighter in weight and I like them better. I made a couple of those.
I want to get some colored lights on white wires and make some with those. I think it would be very pretty to just coordinate a pretty ribbon with the colored lights.
Also, I did glass etch one of these and did not like it becuase I could see the wires from the lights through the clear area in the glass etching. I like the tissue paper better because the light shines through but you can't see the wires.