Here is a Christmas card for those who like a bold, abstract-geometric flair with lots of bright and vibrant colors! This is the first of four cards to be completed from a Christmas card class I attended in September. Its original design was by one of our hostesses, Luci Kirschbaum.
Abstract Christmas cards are really out of my comfort zone, so it took time working with it before I began to appreciate its bold, totally non-traditional colors and the abstract geometric design! I loved the elements and dies Luci used in her composition, and I really like the changes that I made.
I started by switching the striped paper from a left vertical strip to an angled quasi-banner and built my card from there. It was handy that I brought my mini-paper cutter with me to class in order to re-cut the paper strip! The positioning of other elements are somewhat the same as Luci's, though I shifted my tree left, threw on more stars, and added Wink of Stella. In addition, I added a new and larger framing card base in Blueberry Bushel. I really liked the blue color addition as I was able to achieve my love of a larger card, plus the blue softened the bold colors and brought out the blue in the dsp stripes, which I liked.
Prior to starting to work on this card, I browsed my Challenge List and found 15 old and fairly recent challenges to use...see below:
1) AOCC21 - All Occasions Card Challenge/ September 2021 - 9/1/21. Monthly challenge encourages you to set goals ahead for each month to help you complete and mail your cards! This is for my September goal to fill my Christmas stash.
2) USEIT2021 - Use It Challenge/ September 2021 - 9/1/21. Ongoing/ annual challenge requiring use of OLD/ DUSTY and long unused items and/or OLD/NEW items purchased but never used and seemingly forgotten! My OLD/NEW item(s): purchased in May (SU 2021-22 Annual catalog) and June (Jul-Dec Mini catalog). It was time open and to use them: Whimsy Wonder dsp, Shimmer Vellum, Whimsy Trees & Christmas Trees stamps/ dies, and Polished Pink ink.
3) S2S21AUG - Stamp 2 Save (aka Stamp 2 Support One Another)/ Time Off - 8/6/21. During the quiet of pre-Christmas while crafting, reading, resting, baking, cleaning, etc. I love listening to Christmas music. "Let your heart be light" comes from a favorite carol, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas...let your heart be light."
4) SCSCCJUN21 - Fan Club Monthly Christmas Challenge/ June Sketch - 6/1/21. Sketch Tweaking: Turned top 3 layers (band, square and small circle) from horizontal to angled from left top to bottom right; switched the square to a circle; switch small sentiment circle to a narrow sentiment rectangle for the basic layout.
5) CCC21JUN - Christmas Card Challenge/ Shimmer or Shine! - 6/1/21. My card has a sparkly, shimmery pink vellum circle and Wink of Stella stars!
6) F4A560 - Free 4 All Challenge/ Get Your Jingle On! - 11/13/20. Challenge: Be inspired by the song, "Jingle Bells." What inspired you...the title, lyrics, feelings evoked...tell us. Listening to this fun song always bring on the Christmas spirit; excellent for making Christmas cards!
7) MMTPT639 - Teapot Challenge/ Inspired by Shoes - 10/20/20. Challenge: make a card inspired by shoes. This is the pair of shoes that inspired my card: Granny Square Crocheted Slippers! I'm late to the party, so this card will go as a Xmas card for a family member who loves shoes as well!
DINSP1020 - Fan Club Monthly Theme--October 2020/ Masquerade! - 10/15/20. My card meets the main theme interpretation of creating in someone else's style. I chose the picture Inspiration Challenge within the Theme for its geometrics and colors.
9) MIX381 - Mix-ability Challenge/ Hundert Who? - 5/15/20. Challenge: be inspired by Friedensreich Hundertwasser's art. My abstract Xmas tree depicts his love of color with curvy designs often seen in his art. Mediums: dye stamping ink, computer ink, Wink of Stella/ Clear.
11) FS674 - Featured Stamper Challenge/ Another Williams Girl! (aka Patricia Williams) - 1/5/20. I was inspired by this cards geometric design and color: CAS568 A Pretty in Pink Birthday! Kept: geometric designs, hot pink, and layout "bones." Changed: theme, added more to layout, geometrics, and color; no ribbon.
12) ABC12X16 - Alphabet Challenge/ Letter X - 1/8/20. My letter X = Xmas tree!
13) WT682 - Ways to Use It/ That's a Quote - 4/15/18. Challenge: A correct word spoken at the correct time can be empowering, encourage, instill hope; give comfort. Add a meaningful quote to your card. Remember the Christmas song: "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas?" I loved the next phrase "let your heart be light!" that will be my quote. This card will always bring to mind that tune and those words!
14) CAS453 - Clean & Simple Challenge/ O Christmas Tree - 10/30/17. Challenge: show a Christmas tree that is unusual for you to make. I'd call this an abstract Christmas tree...totally unusual for me!
15) SC660 - Sketch Challenge - 8/30/17. Sketch used as basic layout for card. Other layers added too for more color and interest.
Registered: May 23, 2009 Location: sunny california Posts: 9798
Thu, Dec 23, 2021 @ 12:51 PM
Wow did you ever rock the challenges. This is such a welcome diversion...not your typical holiday card. Leaving your comfort zone sure paid off. I especially like the colors you used so bold and pretty