Many months ago, I was fiddling with my Marianne zebra die about the time I was making last year's granddaughter birthday cards. I die-cut several sets of zebra parts, and though this zebra girl turned out darn cute, I decided on 3D ballerina girls instead! I got side-tracked and never decided what to do with little zebra girl, so she's been lurking in my unfinished stash every since!
Recently I came upon a challenge that basically said use it, finish it or just throw it out. I spotted the little zebra and knew she was not meant for the garbage; therefore I was motivated to find her a home!
My youngest granddaughter will be two in mid-November, and I wanted her card finished early to be sure it was on time! Her birthday party theme will be butterflies, and though zebras don't exactly fit a butterfly theme, I thought I could make it work! What if I made a scene with butterflies flitting around the scene? I even added balloons to flit along too!
I used recycled rainbow foil from a birthday party hat previously worn by this very granddaughter. Though it was torn a little, I saved it as the perfect recycle paper to on a card for her in the future. The balloons and butterflies were the perfect thing! Take a look at Evie's finished card above both inside and out. I'm pretty pleased with the results and think she will LOVE it!
(NOTE: the recycled rainbow foil birthday hat paper had some rubbed/ marred areas in its sheen. Wink of Stella-Clear brushed lightly and evenly with vertical strokes over the die-cuts restored an unmarred surface. As the surface was also like an alcohol inked substance, I used the Wink's brush very lightly and did not saturate the surface...used smooth, even strokes).
1) AOCC21 - All Occasions Card Challenge/ November 2021. Monthly challenge encourages you to set goals ahead for each month to help you complete and mail your cards! This one's definitely needed in November for my youngest granddaughter.
2) USEIT2021 - Use It Challenge/ October 2021. An ongoing/ annual challenge that requires you to use OLD/ DUSTY and long unused items and/or OLD/NEW items purchased, never used, and seemingly forgotten!An ongoing/ annual challenge that requires you to use OLD/ DUSTY and long unused items and/or OLD/NEW items purchased, never used, and seemingly forgotten! My DUSTY/OLD items: glitter corrugated cardstock that's been hiding in my stash for several years and a 2013-14 and 2016-17 SU dsp stack papers used as the sky & grass. My OLD/NEW items: the zebra dies, grass dies, and sun/ clouds dies. All were purchased over a year ago, and I finally opened the packages for this card! I actually made the zebra several months ago and finally used it in this card!
3) S2S21OCT - Stamp to Save/ Use It or Lose It - 10/4/21. (Post #1361). I actually made this little zebra up many months ago, but never got around to putting her on a card. I was originally thinking of a zebra card for one of my other granddaughter's birthdays, but this little zebra ended up on the youngest ones instead. I definitely did want to throw her out, so I had to get busy and find her a card home! Evie's card was the perfect spot, along with his flitting butterflies and birthday balloons!
4) MSP47 - Misti Monday Challenge/ Easy as ABC or 123 - 7/1/21. This challenge is sponsored by My Sweet Petunia (online retailer), the maker of the MISTI Stamping Tool. Challenge: use alphas or numbers on your sentiment. My alpha/ number sentiments are on the heart balloons.
5) CAS626 - Clouds - 2/22/21. Add clouds in whatever style you want. My clouds are die-cuts.
6) MIX397 - Mix-ability Challenge/ Make It Wild - 9/4/20. Challenge: feature some sort of wildlife on your card. Mine got a zebra! Mediums: Glitter, ink edge-distressing (pigment ink), computer ink (inside verse), Wink of Stella-Clear (balloons & butterflies).
7) CT0720 - Fan Club Monthly Themes--July 2020/ Rain or Shine! - 7/15/20. Challenge: add weather to your card and its inspiration. I've added a beautiful sunshiny day with puffy white clouds...the perfect day for a trip to the zoo. Here is what I might see at the zoo...a birthday zebra!
FS673 - Featured Stamper Challenge/ It's a little rainy out (aka Susan Roberts) - 12/29/19. I found two of Susan's cards that inspired me. Her Embossed Kisses by rainy at Splitcoaststampers Embossed Kisses though somewhat abstract inspired my layout of groups of threes. She has three trees and I have three groups: 1) sun/clouds; 2) balloons; and 3) the zebra. I kept the idea of sloping hills. I combined with her DTGD20rainy - Party Animal by rainy at Splitcoaststampers TGD20rainy - Party Animal zebra card for my zebra theme. My colors are totally different and I've used all papers and die-cuts and no stamping.
9) ABC10Z16 - Alphabet Challenge/ Letter Z/ Double challenge = Zoology - 12/12/19. My letter Z - Zebra, definitely falls in the study of Zoology.
11) SC761 - Sketch Challenge - 8/7/19. Sketch Tweak: rotated #4, #5, #6, and #7, as a group, 90 degrees on card front. #4 is now horizontal across the bottom and = my fence. #5 moves up a bit and = my sun/cloud grouping, #6 = the balloon grouping, and #7 moves slightly left and = my zebra.
12) MMTPT566 - Teapot Challenge/What's Your Animal? - 5/28/19. Show us a non-domestic animal that tickles your fancy...mine is a zebra!
13) TLC729 - Technique Lover's Challenge/ Foiled Images - 2/11/19. Challenge: use foil and/or use the Foiled Images technique. I've used a recycled foil birthday hat for my cards balloons and butterflies.
14) WT683 - Ways to Use It Challenge/ Put A Crimp in It! - 4/12/18. My fence is made from corrugated glitter paper. I actually bought it that way!
15) F4A423 - Free for All Challenge/ What's Black and White w/Stripes? - 3/30/18. Mine is a zebra!
16) CC657 - Color Challenge/ A Wild, Pink, So Soft Sky! - 10/17/17. Colors: Wild Wasabi, Powder Pink, So Saffron, Soft Sky. My card incorporates all the colors, but only a small dab of pink in the zebra ears. I do add a bit of other shades of these colors in the balloons and butterflies.
Ingredients: Stampin' Up: Cardstock--Lucky Limeaide, Pacific Point Blue, So Saffron; Patterned Papers--2013-14 Subtles Dsp Stack-Pool Party, 2016-17 Subtles Dsp Stack-Wild Wasabi, 2012-13 Subtles Dsp Stack-Certainly Celery; Ribbon--Gold Metallic Cord; Gems--Gold Metallic. Other: Dies--Marianne Collectables--Zebra-Donkey; Cottage Cutz Sun & Clouds; My Favorite Things--Frightful Fence; Lawn Fawn Party Balloons; IO Dies--Small Grass die, Insect Set (butterflies); Lawn Fawn--Grassy Hillside; Memory Box--Varsity Numbers; Poppystamp--Happy Birthday Banner Flags (Letters); Glitter--Impress Sparkle; Wink of Stella--Clear; Chatterbox verse--computer. Size: 4-3/4 x 6-inches.
Registered: July 20, 2007 Location: Fergus, Ontario, Canada Posts: 50798
Wed, Dec 15, 2021 @ 4:39 AM
Carlene, everything about this card is adorable! Love that you recycled the foil for balloons, and that tip about WOS will be useful to know. Your scene is so fun, eith the cute zebra, cheerful sun and pretty clouds, as well as the fence, flowers and butterflies. I love all of it.
"Surely His salvation is near those who fear Him, that His glory may dwell in our land." Psalm 85:9
Registered: February 19, 2011 Location: Fullerton, CA Posts: 8658
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 @ 10:59 AM
And how could she not love this....it's ADORABLE. Love all the element and especially love that some were personal to her like the party hat upcycle. Such a fun card for a young girl, especially a beloved GD.