I needed a birthday card and my mojo has been lacking for a couple of weeks so I decided to combine the 2 challenges and see where it went. It seems that I have a thing at present for a shabby chic layering look and also my design seems to be similar.
This card took a very long time even though you wouldn't think it. I started with the alcohol panel and initially I had made one I liked and added gilding flakes on it in the hope that they would stick similar to metallic paper but they didn't LOL. Out came my brayer and I thought I would flatten them down onto the sticky AI. Doh...of course it's going to brayer my pattern which was originally lovely flowers. So out came the inks again and I'm plonking more and more on until I was happy, gilded flakes and all LOL.
Phew one panel done. I initially thought I would just cut a piece of the panel and layer it and add die cut flowers which I had cut out of another panel in my stash. They were lovely but after lots of finger tapping and twiddling and moving, I kept cutting my panel down until I ended up with this one.
Added script tissue paper on my base and cheesecloth. Those who know me know I love texture and particularly cheesecloth on cards and have only started to use it again the past few months.
I wanted to try gilding my die cut after watching a few videos on the MMJ challenge that Shelly had found. They looked easy. Note to self: Rewatch the videos before attempting this technique LOL.
I used double sided paper and die cut my butterflies and tree. So far so good. Whilst getting the die cut out one side of the sticky paper came off. No problem...I started to add my gilding flakes but realised my image was back to front...doh! By this stage I was thinking I may just go and buy a birthday card LOL. Ever been there?
Persisting, I finally got the die cut the right way and started to add more flakes. This time it crumbled in front of me and next time I will use just one large image for the flakes. I really don't think flimsy images work well...just my opinion.
More die cutting and start again but without the sticky paper. This time I used a glue stick similar to what I had seen in the video. So far so good but in places the flakes would rub into clumpy balls and I had gilding flakes everywhere but on my image LOL. I persisted for what seemed a very long time using my glue stick and other glues and finally gave up. I love the effect but again I think a larger image would work better. The good news is that some of my gilding flakes had stuck onto the AI BG...a win!
So here I was left with a die cut that had some flakes on. Out came the paints and I painted on colour and gold to give it an organic look. Plonked it on the card and it's very pretty.
The sentiment was stamped on a piece of gold cs I had made months ago. I decided to use more of the cheesecloth to tie on the tag. I love the texture.
When I looked at my watch I couldn't believe how long it had taken me to make this card. I knew how long as I had started to text with a friend before I began...phew.
Did I do more craft...no...I needed a G&T by this stage LOL.
TFL and I hope that you have a great day.
Date: Thursday, May 6, 2021 GMT Views: 310
Registered: March 13, 2011 Location: Langley, B.C. Canada Posts: 24250
Fri, May 07, 2021 @ 12:56 PM
The background and your gilded butterflies is so rich looking, Jayney. I love the print background and the cheesecloth gives this a beachy feel. Glad you could celebrate with a G&T when this was completed!