This sympathy card is for my Mom's Stampin' Up demonstrator, whom I have also known well for over eight years. She lost her 16-year old son in an automobile accident several months ago. My card has been "brewing" in my mind's eye for several months waiting until I could return to cardmaking after my hand surgeries.
I wanted to play challenge catch-up, so I checked out my Splitcoasterstamper Challenge List. I found 12 challenges it would fit. Before getting started, I earmarked it for the Inspiration Challenge and Feature Stamper challenges chosen, which really help me flesh out the design results.
1. FS661 - Featured Stamper Challenge - 10/6/19 - "Kari B." Congrats, Kari, on your Featured Stamper week. You have a wonderful gallery to browse through. I chose your sympathy card, Rose in the Garden of 8/24/16 as my inspiration. See it at this link: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g.../photo/2745607.
2. AOCC19OCT - All Occasions Card Challenge - "October 2019". This card is one I need for the month of October, 2019.
4. S2S19BB - Stamp 2 Spend - 7/18/19 - "Domestic Animal". The challenge is to include any domestic "animal" that could be found in a house or barnyard. My mind went to possible pets...so, my "animal" is a dove that could be found in my house in a bird cage if I had one! Here is my card:
5. ABC11S19 - Alphabet Challenge - 7/10/19 - "Round 11 - Letter S" for sympathy card.
6. WT747 - Ways to Use It Challenge - 7/4/19 - "Focus on the Stripes". My card features a striped embossing fold background.
7. F4A480 - Free 4 All Challenge - 5/3/19 - "Memories Captured". My sympathy card focuses on "memories of your loved one are with you always".
8. USEIT2019 - Use It Challenge - Ongoing all year. The challenge to use things from your stash that are old and gathering dust from lack of use OR new items purchased and never used and gathering dust. My two brand new items that were never opened and used are over two years old: the Just Rite "Lattice Background" stamp and the Stampin' Up "Crosses of Hope" die set. I also used the Baja Breeze ink pad for the first time in at least three years. (It is retired at least four years).
9. CAS494 - Clean & Simple Challenge - 9/13/18 - "Things with Wings". My sympathy card features a lovely dove.
10. MIX267 - Mix-Ability Challenge - 3/9/18 - "Feeling Blue or Purple". The challenge is to use mainly blue or purple on your card. Mine is mainly blue. My mediums are: Copic coloring markers, Baja Breeze ink (oval sponging), and Wink of Stella-Clear (bird's wings).
11. WORD1118 - Fan Club Monthly Themes - November 2018 - "Along Those Lines," which includes, stripes, lines, scored elements, zentangling, plaids or checks. My card which features stripes created with an embossing folder. This month's word is DRAW. Following is how my card uses the letters of this word: D=dove, die-cut, Dapper Denim color; R = ribbon; A = Adhesives: double-side tape, foam pop-up tape, Scotch tape, glue stick, and clear glue; W = white cardstock, white ribbon.
12. MMTPT490 - Teapot Challenge - 12/12/17 - "Fleeting Sensation of Peace". Playing challenge catch-up. Make a card of encouragement and soothing for a loss; graceful wings to carry thoughts to troubled souls. My card soothes that "Memories Bring Comfort" and features a winged dove...a bird of peace.
Ingredients: Stampin' Up products: Cardstocks--Whisper White, Dapper Denim, Vellum-Translucent. Stamps--Serene Garden (dove). Dies--Crosses of Hope (cross), Layering Ovals. Ink--Baja Breeze (oval window), Sahara Sand (dove) Embossing Folder--Stripes. Other: Stamps--Just Rite Modern Lattice Background stamp (oval window). Dies--Spellbinders Grommet Tags w/modified ends using Spellbinders Classic Triple Scallop Edges. Ribbon--Offray 5/8" Stitched. Punch: EK Victorian Corners. Copic coloring--dove. Chatterbox sentiment/ verse. Size: 4-3/4 x 6 inches. (Thank you Dar Peterson for the wonderful card design from which my card evolved).
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Registered: October 5, 2006 Location: Maryland Posts: 14666
Tue, Dec 10, 2019 @ 6:18 PM
So sorry to hear about the loss of her son- what a tragedy! This card is so soft and serene- I am sure that it will bring her tremendous comfort. I know when my Mom died years ago, I would receive the occasional card months later and it was so comforting to know that she was still remembered (you receive so many cards in the beginning, it is nice to know that people are still thinking of you weeks/months later). So glad that you shared this card with us and thankful that you are healing as well, sweet friend! Hugs and I hope you have a blessed Christmas and New Year!
Registered: June 4, 2009 Location: Deatsville, Alabama Posts: 57952
Fri, Dec 13, 2019 @ 2:24 AM
Wow, I can't even imagine the pain this sweet lady is going through. Grabs my heart. Your sweet card is sure to bring her a bit of comfort. I really love your design and the thought and heart you put into it, Carlene. Wish I could hug her myself. Wow. Hugz
------------------------------ Nancy Williams - Hope your day is Spirit-filled and ink-filled (in that order)! DRS Designs-DT, Punchkateer, Favorites Notification Team, Dirty Dozen Alumni