I had more trouble sourcing the items for this project than I had putting it together! :P I got the clear plastic ornament at Michael's, which had only 2 sizes--big and bigger. I got the smaller one of the two, but it was too large for the pint canning jar I already had. (I at least had the sense to bring the jar with me to the store to size the ornament.) So I found a mason jar style mug at Michael's, which seemed to be the perfect size. I got that (with 50% coupon, thank you very much!) and the ornament.
Michael's didn't have any mini figurines that were small enough, so I went to Hobby Lobby afterwards. Always fun this time of year! (Yes, that's slight sarcasm.) I found some snowmen in their mini tree ornaments, and a package of small trees. I had forgotten to bring my ornament in with me, so I did math to calculate the height of the trees I chose relative to the ornament. Seemed like a perfect fit, so I got them.
When I got home, I discovered that, despite my careful calculations, the snowmen & trees would NOT fit under the ornament! I also found out that the ornament (after removing it from the packaging) was slightly too big for the lid of the jar/mug I'd gotten. So, the next day, I went back to Hobby Lobby (about 30 miles from our house) to get a different jar and exchange the 2.5" tall trees I'd bought for 1.5" tall trees. This time, I made sure to remember to take the ornament. Found the jar, & the shorter trees fit--excellent! The snowmen--which I hadn't really liked to begin with--I just returned. (Mama had found some little mice ornaments the day before that were perfect.)
Finally, I could assemble! I glued the tree first with hot glue, then clipped the hanging cords off the mice, and glued them around the tree. What I had thought were cotton balls in my stash turned out to be pompoms, so I had to get creative. I got some cotton makeup removing pads (at least, I guess that's what they're called) that I have a ton of. I cut off the "seam" around the perimeter, and pulled apart the round pads. I added bits of the cotton as snow, gluing them with hot glue around the tree & mice. Finally, after cutting off the hanger hole with my hot knife, I added my ornament. Again with hot glue. Too much hot glue. And discovered I hadn't added quite enough "snow." But by that point, it was too late to go back. So I added a bead of glitter glue around the base of the ornament, and called it done! I'm still happy with how this came out, & plan to use it to give my mom some treat for Christmas. Now I just have to wait to show her!
Date: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 GMT Views: 243