This card was made as a birthday card for the Try Stampin' on Tuesday sketch challenge blog administrator, Kaylin. Her birthday is on the date in December when our last sketch of the year will premier. I plan to send the card to her by mail at the same time she sees it for the first time on the blog.
I followed the sketch presented in the challenge, and used the optional theme of "birthday". The card base is Stampin' Up! (SU) Bermuda Bay cardstock that I folded like a normal 5-1/2"x 4-1/4" card, but I cut off the right side of the front of the card to allow the inside birthday cake to peek through.
The cake was created by stamping the cake and candles from the SU "Piece of Cake" stamp set onto SU Whisper White cardstock using the Versafine Onxy Black ink. I then scanned it into my computer as a JPEG file using my Epson printer. Next, I used " Explosion" photo editing software made by Nova Development to enlarge the scanned stamp image to 3-1/4" tall (the original is not quite 2" including the candles). I then printed out the enlarged cake onto printer paper (my printer is very picky about accepting cardstock) and fussy cut it out using paper snips. I then temporarily glued it face side down to a piece of dark cardstock, and scanned the outline into my ScanNCut digital cutting machine. I removed the original, and then cut out two copies of the outline shape onto SU Whisper White Thick cardstock to give me three total layers.
I then hand colored the cake and candles using a combination of SU, Sharpie, and Copic markers to get the colors I wanted (Kaylin tends to use aqua and yellow in her own cards, so I figured those were her favorite colors).
After I colored the cake, I glued the two extra thick cake-shaped cutouts to the back of the colored cake to give it stability and dimension. I glued this to the inside of the card so that 2/3 of the cake would show when the card is closed. I also used Wink of Stella clear sparkle over the top of the aqua parts of the cake and the horizontal stripe.
The next step was to create the sentiment piece. I used the ScanNCut again to write out the words, then cut them on the machine using the bright yellow cardstock. I glued these to the aqua panel, then matted the panel with the same bright yellow cardstock.
The sketch required a horizontal element even with a similar element on the right side of the card, so I decided to continue the aqua stripe from the cake all the way over to the left edge of the card. I edged the strip with a black Sharpie since the stripe on the cake was outlined in black.
The final step was to glue the sentiment panel over the top of the horizontal stripe so that it extended beyond the front of the card over atop part of the cake.
I am rating the difficulty level of this card as a "3" only because I wanted the cake larger than the original stamp, so had to take several steps to make it bigger. Otherwise, if you have a stamp the size you want, the difficulty is only a "2". Since the sentiment is customized (and my calligraphy is horrible), the difficulty would only go down if you did calligraphy.
I hope Kaylin likes her card!!!
Date: Saturday, September 28, 2019 GMT Views: 158