** This picture shows the background colour a bit better. But it's still a little more pale aqua, and I've lost some of the shimmer on the wildflowers. Some you win, some you lose...
had the most enormous fun today with Ky's Funkie Junkie MIXed media challenge, to embed some fabric in our projects. I hope this is embedded enough. If not, at least I had a great time making it and finally used one of the canvases I bought last year.
I started out with a layer of gesso, and then a layer of white acrylic mixed with artists' pigment.
Then I added one strip of burlap and mod=podged it down. Decided to add another and have it running all the way across the bottom. While the Mod Podge was still wet, I smeared some Versamark over the right hand edge and sprinkled green Encrusted Jewels from Frantage over the burlap and over the Versamarked area. You're meant to heat this from below, but I didn't think it would work through the canvas; hence the Versamark to help hold it in place while I carefully heated it.
Then I stamped the script stamp, and over that I used a homemade circle stencil with glass bead gel, glitter and white Brusho.
When all that had dried, I stecnilled a little along the edge of the burlap, using green Gelatos. Then I added my wildflowers, which were cut from book pages and spritzed with assorted Brusho acrylic sprays and shimmer mists (gold, bronze, sand, emerald green, scarlet).
After sticking them on, I ran a line of Mod Podge along the bottom and added some strands pulled out of my burlap.
For the bird to perch on, I took some florists' wire and bound it with brown tape, then added it to the canvas. I rubbed that a little with some Treasure Gold copper. In one of my embellishment boxes I found some lovely leaf beads, which I added. I also snipped a couple of feathers down to a smaller size and stuck them on.
For a bit more texture, I put a little glue here and there along the burlap and added some prills and some gold glitter.
The bird was, if I recall, a gift from Lorraine, it's wooden.
Finally I added a sentiment (Serendipity Stamps die) cut from an old Brusho background with a mis-stamped sentiment, gave it a black foam shadow and coated it with Glossy Accents. I think that's everything...
Date: Friday, July 20, 2018 GMT Views: 410
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Registered: October 19, 2004 Location: Wilmington, North Carolina Posts: 9946
Fri, Jul 20, 2018 @ 11:30 AM
I just popped on to get Vicki's address to send her card and saw this beauty. I can see why you had alot of fun with this Sabrina. It's so pretty. Love all the elements from all the cutouts to the textures and colors. I love it all! Thanks for the thorough description of your process. xxxx
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess Teapot Tuesday TEAm Vintage Lover
Registered: August 15, 2007 Location: Twin Cities MN Posts: 32371
Fri, Jul 20, 2018 @ 6:07 PM
You've got everything on here but the kitchen sink! WOW...I had to enlarge this to see all the details and all the embellishments,,,It looks like you had fun. I love the leaf beads, the tiny feathers, the stamped script....so cool! What an amazing piece!
Registered: July 19, 2010 Location: Conway, MA Posts: 5663
Fri, Jul 20, 2018 @ 7:14 PM
Sabrina, your cards and creations are always a feast for the eyes! I also know I can grasp a better understanding of these challenges that are out of my comfort zone by checking your gallery. This is exquisite with all of your fun details and embellishments! The embedded burlap is impressive and I am also loving the green encrusted jewels and the flower garden cut from book pages.
Proud Fan Club Member
CC March 2017 Guest Designer