I'm always in need of masculine birthday cards, so I used this opportunity to make one for a relative's upcoming birthday.
The card base is a stand A2 size (8.5"x 5.5") of Stampin' Up retired Chocolate Chip cardstock folded in half.
The front panel is SU Very Vanilla cut to 4"x 5.25". I used the SU large background stamp called "World Map". Since it's so large, I laid it down face side up, and inked it with SU Early Espresso, then lay my piece of Very Vanilla over it. To ensure a good image, I used a piece of scrap paper and laid it over the top of the Very Vanilla and pressed firmly with my hand over the entire surface of the stamp. I removed the stamped cardstock from the stamp and then using craft sponges, sponged SU Pear Pizzazz, Crumb Cake, and Pool party ink. I wanted to create a rustic look, so didn't try to cover the entire image, or stay within boundaries.
The next step was to create the circle elements required by the sketch. I did this using a combination of Marvy 2-1/2" punch, EK Success 1-1/8" punch, and Spellbinders Circle Dies. I first stamped the ship image and compass image from SU "The Open Sea" onto SU Very Vanilla Cardstock. I punched out the compass with the 1-1/8" punch, and diecut the ship image with a circle die.
Using SU Island Indigo ink, I stamped the birthday greeting at the bottom of the ship. The sentiment was from a 2013 SU Project Life "Seasonal Snapshot" kit.
I then punched the SU Chocolate Chip mat for the compass using the smallest circle die, and the ship mat using the 2-1/2" punch. The compass pointer and brad were from the Tim Holtz "Game Spinners" embellishment kit. The spinner was attached with a Mini Glue Dot. The "tail" of the brad was cut off with utility scissors, and the "head" was then glued onto the spinner with Tombow glue.
SU Linen Thread was used to wrap the bottom of the map panel twice, and then a simple knot was tied to the extreme left side to leave room for the matted ship. I un-wound the two threads of the loose ends so there was a "frayed" look.
The map panel was then glued down to the card base using Tombow glue. The large and small matted images were attached to the card front using adhesive foam strips to raise them off the card front for added interest.
This card was pretty straightforward to make, so I am rating it a difficulty level of "2" out of "5". I think it will work well for a guy birthday!
Date: Sunday, July 1, 2018 GMT Views: 1325