I had tried inking my honeycomb embossing folder on a scrap piece of Daffodil Delight cardstock last week, and REALLY liked the result, so when I saw this challenge, I thought it would make the perfect central element that the sketch required. I built up from that idea. I had just gotten my new Stampin' Up! Dragonfly Dreams stamp/die bundle, so of course I had to die-cut the bee (secret to making yellow stripes -- punch out a 1/2" circle to glue to back of the bee body, and a quarter of a circle for his head). Although it's not evident in the photo, I hand cut acetate wings that are glued to the back of the bee as well.
A bee needs flowers to make honey, so the flowers were stamped with Versafine Onyx Black ink on Whisper White card stock. To create the centers, I stamped the blossom on Hello Honey cardstock, then used the 1/2" hole punch to cut out the centers of the flower. I then trimmed out the five little petal triangles on each blossom center, and trimmed off excess yellow around the perimeter of each center. These centers I attached to the white petals using Mini Glue Dots. The four blossoms were then attached to the black panel using glue dots.
The honeycomb was attached to the black panel using Adhesive Foam Strips, then the bee attached to the comb using a small piece of foam strip.
Finally, the sentiment is a play on "birthday". The letters were die cut with Spellbinders Alphabet dies, and glued to the black panel using Tombow Multi Liquid Glue.
The finished black panel was attached to the Hello Honey card base using glue as well.
I think a smaller alphabet die set would work better (but I don't have one - darn!). Smaller letters would also allow the honeycomb to be one cell taller for a more balanced panel. But I think it works as it is.
Date: Sunday, February 19, 2017 GMT Views: 1030