Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Craft Your Passion Master Challenge Thread

All of the challenges will be posted here in order as they go live.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Challenge Title: A MOTTO of Design
Hostess: LuvLee (Lee)
Keyword: JUN16VSNA
Date: Friday, June 17 - 5 pm EST

Did you know the Olympics have an official Motto? Um sure, yeah me too. I soooo did. Ok then...well what is it? Yeah, I thought so. Me neither! ;)

The official motto is: Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is Latin for "Faster, Higher, Stronger."

It was proposed by Pierre de Coubertin upon the creation of the International Olympic Committee in 1894. Coubertin borrowed it from his friend Henri Didon, a Dominican priest who was an athletics enthusiast.

Coubertin said "These three words represent a programme of moral beauty. The aesthetics of sport are intangible." The motto was introduced in 1924 at the Olympic Games in Paris. A more informal but well known motto, also introduced by Coubertin, is "The most important thing is not to win but to take part!" Coubertin got this motto from a sermon by the Bishop of Pennsylvania during the 1908 London Games.

Now here's my challenge........use the initials C.A.F. in your design. Here are some examples:

C - cat, christmas, chalk, chevron, crimson
A - acetate, acrylic, antique, apple
F - flowers, faux technique, fox, fuchsia

You need to use all three initials somehow, more than once if you'd really like to challenge yourself!!

For my card I used:

C- Cherry and Crumb Cake Cardstock, Christmas stamps, Copic marker
A- Aqua ribbon, Aqua coloring on scarf
F- Frost - entire panel in glitter

View the gallery for this challenge: HERE
View the Craft Your Passion Gallery:HERE
View the Craft Your Passion Challenge Thread: HERE

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10 P. M. EST ON Sunday, June 26.
2. You have 1 hour to complete the challenge, unless otherwise noted.....you do not have to count prep time!
3. We have a special gallery for the Craft Your Passion VSN.
a) From the "Main Gallery" dropdown list on the first page of the uploader, choose Events and Special Collections.
b) From the Sub-gallery dropdown list, choose Virtual Stamping and Scrapbooking Nights ~ it's the last in the list.
c) From the new sub-gallery dropdown list choose Craft Your Passion - it's the very bottom of the list.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
5. Please do not combine VSN challenges...but you may combine any other challenges with a VSN challenge!

It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in this chat thread to be sure your layout is seen. THANKS SO MUCH FOR PLAYING ALONG!!!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,114 Likes on 968 Posts

Challenge Title: Hoist the Sails
Hostess: Melody (lacyquilter)
Keyword: JUN16VSNB
Date: Friday, June 17, 2016

Sailing -- skimming across the water, with the sunshine sparkling on the waves, and the sails snapping in the breeze. An important part of sailing is how you adjust your sails to catch the right amount of wind.

Sails are made from fabric, and since my #1 passion is quilting, I thought this was the perfect challenge for me to present to you. I want you to use some type of fabric on your card. Some examples of fabric: cotton, felt, wool, canvas, your old worn out blue jeans or t-shirt, burlap, a piece of an old nylon stocking... you get the picture. Show me how creative you can be, but most of all, have fun.

View the Craft Your Passion gallery: HERE

2. You have 1 hour to complete the challenge, unless otherwise noted.....you do not have to count prep time!
a) From the "Main Gallery" dropdown list on the first page of the uploader, choose Events and Special Collections.
b) From the Sub-gallery dropdown list, choose Virtual Stamping and Scrapbooking Nights ~ it's the last in the list.
c) From the new sub-gallery dropdown list choose Craft Your Passion - it's the very bottom of the list.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
5. Please do not combine VSN challenges...but you may combine any other challenges with a VSN challenge!

It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in this chat thread to be sure your layout is seen. THANKS SO MUCH FOR PLAYING ALONG!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM8240.jpg (117.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3423_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (88.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg peeps321_house673_by_peeps321.JPG (112.1 KB, 6 views)
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Received 571 Likes on 458 Posts
Default JUN16VSNC ~ Friday, June 17 - 7 pm EST ~ On Target ~ Scraperwannabe

Challenge Title:
Hostess: Misti (Scraperwannabe)
Keyword: JUN16VSNC
Date: Friday June 17

Archery is pretty popular around my house. Both of my boys have goals of trying out for the Olympic team for the 2020 Olympics that will take place in Tokyo, Japan. The US men's team of 3 + 1 alternate was decided in May, but our women only had qualified for one spot. They had to go to Turkey this past week to try to earn the other two spots & they weren't able to do that. We will be sending one female to Rio. It is quite the process to make the team!!

My challenge for you is to use at least one circle & at least 3 of the colors of the target face... Yellow, red, blue, black, white.

View the gallery for the challenge:HERE

Attached Images
File Type: jpg archery_target01.jpg (44.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg JUN16VSNCmjo.JPG (107.7 KB, 3 views)
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 318 Likes on 123 Posts
Default JUN16VSND ~ Friday, June 17 - 8 pm EST ~ Triathlon ~ CraftyMerla

Challenge Title: Triathlon
Hostess: Sally Merla (CraftyMerla)
Keyword: JUN16VSND
Date: June 17, 8:00 PM EST

What exactly is a triathlon? A triathlon is a multiple-stage competition involving the completion of three continuous and sequential endurance disciplines. While many variations of the sport exist, triathlon, in its most popular form, involves swimming, cycling, and running in immediate succession over various distances. Basically, three different sporting events in one competition.

So my challenge to you is to use three different items in a category.

Categories are: paper, color, technique, and embellishments.

Items in each category may include such items as:

Paper: cardstock, glossy, DSP, watercolor, vellum, window sheets, etc.
Color: ink pads, markers, chalk, watercolor, etc.
Technique: Die cutting, Dry Embossing, Heat Embossing, Sponging, etc.
Embellishments: Jewels, Washi Tape, Flowers, Hatpins, Hardware, etc.

If you really want to go for the gold choose three items from three categories!

I can't wait to see what you Master Crafters create!

File Type: jpg DSCN4161_by_peeps321.JPG (97.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3426_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (141.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM8255_by_lacyquilter.JPG (135.2 KB, 2 views)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 364 Likes on 266 Posts
Default JUN16VSNE ~ Friday, June 17 - 9 pm EST ~ Jump Those Hurdles ~ peeps321

Challenge Title: Jump Those Hurdles
Hostess: Polly (aka peeps321)
Keyword: JUN16VSNE
Date: Friday June 17th

All of us have moments in life that bring us down or make us feel sad. You might refer to these as life’s little hurdles. One way to overcome some of these is to do something you love. And since we’re all stampers and crafters here on SCS that might mean doing a challenge or making a birthday card for that family member or just connecting with one of our stamping buddies by PM, FaceTime, or by leaving a comment on their card.

So my challenge for you relates to the term hurdle:
Include on your card something you could jump over or get over….a hill, a candlestick, a fence, a cow jumping over a moon, a game of checkers, obstacles, puddles, "the edge", other people (think leapfrog), a jump rope etc.

Or something that jumps:….a frog , a horse, a grasshopper, rabbits, pogo stick, a kangaroo

Attached Images
File Type: jpg peeps321_VSNcowmoon884.JPG (102.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg VSN_hopping_Challenge_sm_by_smadson.JPG (125.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3413_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (87.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4193.JPG (121.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM8261_by_lacyquilter.jpg (50.0 KB, 5 views)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Challenge Title: Time to Raise the Bar!
Hostess: Kim (berlycece)
Keyword: JUN16VSNF
Date: Saturday June 18

For years I have enjoyed watching both men's and women's gymnastics. Perhaps it is because of my disability and the fact that I can't walk straight on solid ground, but the way these athletes turn, flip, and leap on the equipment, then land with such force and accuracy leaves me in awe. I also love that gymnastics combines athleticism with artistic creativity. Makes it hard to judge, but so much fun to watch!

I like all of the events, but my favorites are the balance beam and the uneven bars (or high bar for the men). Each of these events includes a long horizontal item plus an athlete flipping and turning like crazy!

My challenge to you is to include a long horizontal element...could be a strip of pattern paper or some ribbon, or a banner...
Plus a swirly item...think of twine or metallic thread...maybe some doodling with your marker

The rest is up to you...colors,words, sketch...there is a lot of wiggle room. Just be sure to include those two items, then Stick your landing!!

I can't wait to see what you create!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JUN16VSNF Balloon.jpg (47.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3428_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (67.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Peeps321_VSNbunny993_by_peeps321.jpg (119.3 KB, 4 views)
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,980 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Challenge Title: Swim for the Gold
Hostess: Sharon (smadson)
Keyword: JUN16VSNG
Date: Saturday June 18

I always have loved swimming. When I was younger in the summers I would be at the pool all day, most days. I love watching it in the Olympics. So, we are going to get wet! This is a technique challenge. My challenge to you is to use a water technique on your card, and since we are going for the gold, you must use something gold on your card! Just spritzing water on your card would work, or water coloring the images. If you can't think of anything, here are a few ideas:

Ombre Techiques

Watercolor Powders

Watercolor Bokeh

Watercoloring with Markers

Watercoloring with Watercolor Pencils and Aqua Painter�

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Here is my sample and Covington Crafter's sample:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSN my water tech challenge sm.jpg (96.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3416_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (71.5 KB, 3 views)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts

NOTE: DUE TO A MISTAKE BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION - THE KEYWORD HAS BEEN CORRECTED; PLEASE MAKE SURE IF YOU HAVE MADE A CARD FOR THIS THREAD: MAKE SURE IT READS: JUN16VSNH - NOT 18. THANKS SO MUCH!!
Challenge Title: Red, White and Blue Angels
Hostess: Jan (Precious Kitty)
Keyword:JUN16VSNH
Date: June 16, 2016

I was raised in California and we always went to the Angels Baseball Games. I love the Red, White and Blue! So whether it be a baseball team, or real angels (Which I also love) as long as you have the Red, White and Blue - anything is possible! So show us those colors!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE3ML01_Angels.jpg (40.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Ball Game.jpg (53.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Llama Set.jpg (31.8 KB, 6 views)
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Challenge Title: Hit The Slopes
Hostess: mit240z (Michelle)
Keyword: JUN16VSNI
Date: Saturday, June 18 - 4pm EST

When I was younger I loved to ski. I even skied a double black diamond once or twice. The best way to ski is when you have a nice fresh layer of real snow but when nature doesn't cooperate the fake stuff works. And the best way to end a day on the slopes is with a nice hot cup of cocoa

My challenge to you is to use snow on your card or project. Bring any kind of snow you like snow piles, snowflakes, part of an image or as an accessory. Bonus points if you incorporate a winter sport such as skiing, snowboarding, hockey, skating, sledding, etc.

View the Craft Your Passion Gallery: HERE

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03742.jpg (66.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03744.jpg (62.8 KB, 2 views)
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Challenge Title: Waterfall
Hostess: Janet (JanetJ)
Keyword: JUN16VSNJ
Date: Saturday, June 18, 2016

When I think of South America and sports there, I usually think of people near waterfalls - so many waterfalls there! And I think of people riding down waterfalls, such a challenge!

My challenge to you is to make a Waterfall Card. AND - you get 2 hours for this challenge to make a waterfall card!

The directions for making a Waterfall card are in the Tutorials:

Splitcoaststampers - Waterfall Card Project Tutorial by Kathy Logan

I can't wait to see your cards!!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Challenge Title: Dive Right In!
Hostess: Jeanne S
Keyword: JUN16VSNK
Date: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 5 PM EST

The Summer Olympics has lots of water sports, Swimming, Water Polo, Canoeing, Synchronized Swimming, Diving. All those sports require 2 things... water and the ability to swim.

My challenge to you is to make a project with something that swims. Some examples would be a frog, a person, a fish, a penguin, a mermaid or...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Froggy Friend Jeanne_Streiff.jpg (43.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Sweet Frog Jeanne_Streiff.jpg (57.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg WM Mermaid Jeanne_Streiff.jpg (78.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg WM Thanks Drake Jeanne_Streiff.jpg (71.0 KB, 3 views)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts
Default JUN16VSNL ~ Saturday, June 18 - 7 pm EST ~ Bird On! ~ Covington Crafter

Challenge Title: Bird On!
Hostess: Carla (Covington Crafter )
Keyword: JUN16VSNL
Date: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 7 PM EST

Did you know that badminton is a summer Olympic sport? �With shuttlecocks traveling at up to 400 km/h (249 m/h), badminton requires fast reflexes from the players and the audience�s full attention. It has been in the Games since Barcelona 1992. Men and women compete in individual and doubles events, and mixed doubles." Rio 2016 Olympic

Here are some more fun badminton facts. The conical feathery balls, shuttlecocks, the players hit are also referred to as a birdie. And, �bird on� is a cautionary call that a birdie has landed on the playing court from an adjacent court.

So, land some birdies in my court! I'll take lovely birds in their natural habitat or silly birds doing silly things or something in between. Go for the gold with birds engaged in any Olympic sport, especially badminton!

View the JUN16VSNL Bird On! gallery: HERE

Big thanks to Sharon, Melody and Polly for their marvelous, creative samples!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06_11_16_Rowena_by_smadson.JPG (121.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM8268_by_lacyquilter.jpg (63.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg peeps321_bird453_by_peeps321.JPG (94.3 KB, 3 views)
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue
Default JUN16VSNM ~ Saturday, June 18 - 8 pm EST ~ Hit the Lights ~ UnderstandBlue

Challenge Title: Hit the Lights
Hostess: UnderstandBlue (Lydia)
Keyword: JUN16VSNM
Date: Saturday, June 18, 2016

My absolute favorite movie is The Natural. I am a HUGE baseball fan - I love the elegance of the game, the strategy and the dignity of it. I really think it's the perfect sport.

This scene was so beautifully done:

Since I was in the lighting industry for nearly 20 years, I love the story of how electric lights changed the game of baseball so dramatically, so I decided to make that the focus of my challenge.

Your job is to represent light on your card - you can do that with a stamp image - like a light bulb, lightning, fire, the sun, stars or fireflies, or you can do it with a technique, like these:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSN sample 007 copy.jpg (34.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Wish_Upon_a_Star_Jeanne_Streiff_by_Jeanne_S.jpg (52.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Slide_8_by_JanetJ.jpg (11.9 KB, 2 views)