Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSN Book Club Weekend ~ Master Challenge Thread ~ August 22-23, 2008

Welcome to the official:

VSN Book Club Weekend

Are you ready to spend time with your favorite authors? We've got a fantastic line-up of book-themed challenges all ready to go for you on Friday, August 22nd, and Saturday, August 23rd!!

Each of the challenges over these two days will be posted in this locked thread. The posts will include links to the individual challenge threads where you can ask questions or chat.

The challenges will be posted every hour on the hour from 6 p.m. through 11 p.m. CST on Friday night and 3 p.m-11 p.m. on Saturday.

You have 45 minutes to complete each challenge. You can play the challenge whenever it's convenient for you, but please stick to the time limit.

You can upload your projects anytime until 8:00 p.m. CST on Sunday, August 24th.

Now, a couple of rules:

Please only submit one card per challenge.
Do not combine challenges. If you do combine challenges, please submit the card using only one challenge's keyword.
And last, don't forget to use the challenge keywords! This is how your cards get found in the gallery!

Have fun and please let us know if you have any questions!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Gallery Gazer

Default AUG08VSNA

Title: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?
Hostess: schirmcat (Kelly)
Keyword:AUG08VSNA
Day/Date: Friday, August 22, 2008
Time: 6:00 pm (CST)

Welcome to the Kids' Challenge!

Hi kids...and to all of the adults who feel like being kids today! This challenge was inspired by the illustrations of Eric Carle. He is a very popular artist who has both written and illustrated books for preschoolers. Some of his titles include, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", "10 Little Rubber Ducks", "Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, too?", and "The Very Quiet Cricket"...

But for this challenge the book we will be focusing on is "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?". This book was written by Bill Martin Jr, and illustrated by Eric Carle. The story goes something like this...

"Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?"
"I see a red bird looking at me."
"Red bird, red bird, what do you see?"
"I see a yellow duck looking at me."

It ends with a teacher seeing children who are all dressed up like the animals listed in the story.

So for my challenge...you need to make a card featuring one of the animals and it's color, as written in the story. Choose one of the following animals, then make your card as colorful, and brilliant as can be! Be creative, and use any stamps, templates, cut-outs, or art materials that you want! Most of all, have fun spending time together, reading and creating!

Here is the list:
Brown Bear
Red Bird
Yellow Duck
Blue Horse
Green Frog
Goldfish
Purple Cat
White Dog
Black Sheep

Thanks so much for playing today!

Cards for this challenge can be found HERE.

The chat thread for this challenge is HERE.

***ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10:00 PM Central ON SUNDAY, August 24th***
**You have 45 minutes to complete the challenge.

Uploading Instructions:
*Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
*It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in the chat thread just in case the gallery is being testy.

samples: schirmcat; peggysue; flutterbees13
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNA%2C%20Black%20Sheep%20and%20Red%20Bird%20%282%29.jpg (73.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNApgs.jpg (28.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNA.jpg (45.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-22-2008 at 04:48 PM..
Gallery Gazer

Default AUG08VSNB

Title: "The Story of Chicken Little"
Hostess: Jacqueline (jacqueline)
Keyword: AUG08VSNB
Day/Date: Friday, August 22nd
Time: 6:00 PM (CST)

When my mother was a little girl, she received The Story of Chicken Little (c1935) from a friend. As long as I can remember I've always coveted this adorable little book. I just loved everything about it...the tattered cover, the colorful illustrations, and, the story itself. For years I'd hint to my mom that "maybe I could have the Chicken Little Book." Over the years, even as an adult (I'm 40), I still asked for the book. At times mom even used that sweet little book to "blackmail" me to do things and even once threatened to sell it on e-bay! I actually just laughed at that one and told her I'd bid on it so she should just save herself the trouble and let me have it. Anyway, a few years ago my mom finally passed it on to me. She even included a little inscription on the inside cover. I just cherish this little book and am so happy that it's finally mine!

My challenge is to find inspiration from your favorite childhood storybook and make a card to represent that story...could be the story itself or a portion thereof, your inspiration could come from a character or picture in the book, the cover, or simply a memory. Be sure to include what inspired your creation in your description. I hope this challenge brings back some fond memories!

**ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10:00 PM Central ON SUNDAY, August 24th**

Uploading Instructions:
Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in the chat thread just in case the gallery is being testy.

samples: jacqueline; flutterbees13; peggysue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henny%20Penny.jpg (50.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNB.jpg (44.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNBpgs.jpg (91.9 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-22-2008 at 05:01 PM..
Gallery Gazer

Default AUG08VSNC

Title: And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street!
Hostess: Markie's Mom
Keyword: AUG08VSNC
Time: 7:00 PM (CST)

Hello!

It�s a Book VSN! I love reading, I always have. However, when I was child, reading was a way of getting to stay up late!

My favorite first reader was �And to Think It Could Happen On Mulberry Street!�

One evening, I over heard my mother and father talking about my fascination with the story.

Mother said, �It�s the poetry! Our daughter is a genius! She loves the rhythm! Maybe she�ll be a musician!�

My mother kept gushing about her prodigy daughter until I rounded the corner and said, �Mother, I like it because it�s my LONGEST book, and I can stay up later reading it!�

Well, talk about deflating those sails! LOL!

So, in honor of my childhood fascination with LONG books, this challenge is to make a BOOKMARK card!

PLEASE USE THIS KEYWORD: AUG08VSNC

TUTORIAL for Bookmark Card.

(This is for a different card, but the way to create the Bookmark holder is the SAME!)

Alternatives: The main aspect to this challenge is to make a card with a bookmark attached. The bookmark does not need to be made with a paper clip, you can make any type of bookmark and attach it to your card in any way that you would like to (perforated tear off bookmark, a pocket to hold your bookmark, etc.).

Here is a video tuturial with another option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxBBwK8iRhA

Also, please note that if you do are doing a clip bookmark, but do not have a window punch, you can attach your clip in any other way that you would like. See some of the samples for ideas.

There is no limit to what you can do with this challenge, and there are no limitations (other than time). Just make a card that has a bookmark attached in some manner.

***ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10:00 PM Central ON SUNDAY, August 24th***

Uploading Instructions:
*Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
*It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in the chat thread just in case the gallery is being testy.

samples: markie's mom; peggysue; flutterbees13
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUGVSN_012.jpg (76.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNCpgs.jpg (95.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNC.jpg (64.8 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-22-2008 at 05:01 PM..
Gallery Gazer

Default AUG08VSND

Book Title: “Pride and Prejudice”
Author: mrslaird (Paula Laird)
Keyword: AUG08VSND
Day/Date: Friday, August 22th
Time: 8:00 PM (CST)

I’m so excited to be a VSN authoress for the first time!

Don’t you just love the feeling you get reading one of your favorite books? Curling up on the couch with a cup of cocoa and an Austen novel is the best! Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorites! The first sentence is genius, the characters are deliciously flawed, and the banter is hilarious. I can read it again and again! Just thinking about it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Your challenge is to recreate that fuzzy feeling by using felt or flocking on a card!

You can flock your stamped image, cut your own felt, or use any of the hundreds of felt or flocked embellishments that have found their way into your shopping bags. Even old iron-on letters will work!

If this is your first time to use flocking, the fabulous AmyR. Has an awesome tutorial on her blog, which you can see here. http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co...-fuzzy-ba.html

Thank you for playing in my challenge! I’d love to hear what some of your favorite books are!

Uploading Instructions:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0053VSN%20P%26P%20Darcy.jpg (56.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0057VSN%20P%26P%20frog.jpg (55.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSND.jpg (55.5 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-22-2008 at 05:04 PM..
Stazon Splitcoast

Default AUG08VSNE

Title: "Bookbinding is a Craft"
Hostess: austamper/Krista
Keyword: AUG08VSNE
Date/time: Friday, Aug. 22, 9 p.m. CST

Bookbinding is a Craft???

Quote:
The craft of bookbinding originated in India, where religious sutra were copied onto palm leaves with a metal stylus. The leaf was then dried and rubbed with ink, which would form a stain in the wound. The finished leaves were given numbers, and two long twines were threaded through each end through wooden boards. When closed, the excess twine would be wrapped around the boards to protect the leaves of the book. Buddhist monks took the idea through modern Persia, Afghanistan, and Iran, to China in the first century BC.
Wikipedia source

With this in mind, your challenge is to make a card or project using twine (Hemp or other similar fibers are perfectly fine) as the key element.

The chat thread for this challenge is HERE

Uploading Instructions:

samples: austamper; flutterbees13; peggysue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04791_edited.jpg (69.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNE.jpg (75.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNEpgs.jpg (88.4 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-22-2008 at 06:11 PM..
Stazon Splitcoast

Default AUG08VSNF

Book Title: Mmmmm, doesn�t that �SMELL� good!!
Author: pcm2004 (Paula Mangum)
Keyword: AUG08VSNF
Time: 10:00 pm (cst)

Cookbooks are one of my favorite books. I love to see what recipes others have created. Some time ago I picked up a Lemonade recipe book. Now drink recipes are not necessarily something I go in search of, but the lemonade book brings to mind summer days behind the lemonade stand. Remember? I can hear the sounds of children shouting to passing cars to stop a moment and spend a quarter to quench their thirst. And what better way to spend a lazy afternoon with your favorite cold beverage and a good book, right?
For my challenge, find your favorite drink recipe and recreate the AROMA on your card using the scratch and sniff technique, found HERE:

The chat thread for this challenge is HERE

Uploading Instructions:

samples: pcm2004; flutterbees13; peggysue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNFpcm.jpg (34.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNF.jpg (62.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNFpgs.jpg (73.9 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-22-2008 at 07:06 PM..
Stazon Splitcoast

Default AUG08VSNG ~ Friday, Aug. 22, 11 p.m. CDT ~ The Shipping News ~

Title: "The Shipping News"
Hostess: eliotstamps/Michelle
Keyword: AUG08VSNG
Date/time: Friday, Aug. 22, 11 p.m. CDT

One of my favorite books is "The Shipping News" by Annie Proulx. She tells a colorful story of a man who retreats to Newfoundland and takes a job at the local newspaper, The Gammy Bird, to support his two young daughters. His main task is to write about the shipping news and his job serves as a backdrop for the story. In some ways, The Gammy Bird becomes a character in the book.

Your challenge is to use newspaper as an element on your card or project! You can use an actual newspaper, or a stamp or patterned paper that looks like newsprint. You can also download clip art images or newspaper front pages and print them from home, making a custom patterned paper. In my sample, I found an image of newspaper mastheads using Google images and printed it out on cardstock.

If you need help finding some newsprint or want some inspiration, here is a link to newspaper front pages from around the U.S.:
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/

And if you're still stuck, visit me in the chat thread and I'll help you brainstorm ideas!

You can find all the creations for this challenge !

**You have 45 minutes to complete the challenge.**

Uploading Instructions:

Samples:
Eliotstamps; flutterbees13; peggysue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aug08vsng.jpg (52.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNG.jpg (62.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNGpgs.jpg (62.8 KB, 122 views)
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for joining us tonight! That is the final challenge for tonight's Book Club.

A full day of new authors and awesome challenges awaits us all on Saturday!

Join us for the first two challenges at 3 pm Central Time. One challenge is for the kids (though adults can play, too!) and one for everyone and for 2 challenges again at 4 pm! After that, new challenges will be posted each hour through 11 pm Central Time!

See you then!!!
Stazon Splitcoast

Default AUG08VSNH ~ Kid's Bookmark Challenge! ~ Saturday, August 23, 3:00 P.M. CST

Title: "How To Eat Fried Worms"
Hostess: msdaiquiri (Erica)
Keyword: AUG08VSNH
Day/Date: Saturday, August 23
Time: 3:00 PM CST

One of the things that I fondly remember as a child was playing in the dirt with my cousins. I remember playing with the critters from the earth and at the same time being disgusted with them. One type of bug that particularly grossed me out were worms! Funny huh? Since they were probably the safest ones that would not hurt or sting me! Then I started school and I found a new love...READING!! My tomboy days of playing in the dirt was replaced by a new favorite hobby. One of the things that I loved about school was when the Scholastic Book Club would come to our school and I was allowed to purchase a good book and a book mark!

My challenge for you is to get your critters or should I say children involved and have some fun with this challenge. We will be making a book mark. Feel free to make any type of a book mark and be creative!! Lastly...have fun!!!

* View VSN Creations for this challenge HERE

*Questions? Chat thread HERE

*** ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10:00 PM CENTRAL TIME ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 24 ***

Uploading Instructions:
*Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. If you are using additional keywords, you must separate them with a comma. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
*It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in the chat thread, in case the gallery is being testy.

Samples: msdaiquiri; flutterbees13; peggysue;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 885-1.jpg (55.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNH.JPG (58.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNHpgs.jpg (100.5 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by peggysue; 08-23-2008 at 02:01 PM..
Stazon Splitcoast

Default AUG08VSNI ~ Saturday, Aug. 23, 3 p.m. CST ~ Alice in Wonderland ~

Title: "Alice in Wonderland"
Hostess: sockmonkey89/Tonya
Keyword: AUG08VSNI
Date/time: Saturday, Aug. 23, 3 p.m. CST

I�ve heard recently that Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are going to team up to make a movie of �Alice in Wonderland�. My favorite passage from Alice in Wonderland is this:

'The time has come,' the Walrus said,
'To talk of many things:
Of shoes -- and ships -- and sealing wax --
Of cabbages -- and kings --
And why the sea is boiling hot --
And whether pigs have wings.'

'But wait a bit,' the Oysters cried,
'Before we have our chat;
For some of us are out of breath,
And all of us are fat!'
'No hurry!' said the Carpenter.
They thanked him much for that.

'A loaf of bread,' the Walrus said,
'Is what we chiefly need:
Pepper and vinegar besides
Are very good indeed --
Now, if you're ready, Oysters dear,
We can begin to feed.'

'But not on us!' the Oysters cried,
Turning a little blue.
'After such kindness, that would be
A dismal thing to do!'
'The night is fine,' the Walrus said,
'Do you admire the view?'

'It was so kind of you to come!
And you are very nice!'
The Carpenter said nothing but
'Cut us another slice-
I wish you were not quite so deaf-
I've had to ask you twice!'

'It seems a shame,' the Walrus said,
'To play them such a trick.
After we've brought them out so far,
And made them trot so quick!'
The Carpenter said nothing but
'The butter's spread too thick!'

'I weep for you,'the Walrus said:
'I deeply sympathize.'
With sobs and tears he sorted out
Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief
Before his streaming eyes.

'O Oysters,' said the Carpenter,
'You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none --
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.

So in tribute to this passage, your challenge is to make a card using pearl-ex, twinkling H2Os, lumiere or scallops (circle, square, whatever scallops you like).

If you have any questions, comments or would like to chat, visit me in the chat thread !
You can find all the creations for this challenge <HERE>!

Uploading Instructions:

Samples:
sockmonkey89; flutterbees13; peggysue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSN_Cards_8_08.jpg (115.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNI.jpg (67.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNIpgs.jpg (98.6 KB, 60 views)
Stazon Splitcoast

Default AUG08VSNJ~SAT Aug 23, 4:00 PM CDT~THE THIEF LORD~Chat Thread

Title: �Venetian Mask� for The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
Hostess: Naturecoastcrafter (Jean)
Keyword: AUG08VSNJ
Day/Date: August 23, 2008

Time: 4:00 PM CDT/5:00 PM EDT/3:00 PM MDT/2:00 PM PDT

This is a challenge for children but is open to anyone who wants to play!

�Welcome to the magical underworld of Venice, Italy. Here, hidden canals and crumbling rooftops shelter runaways and children with incredible secrets. . .�

The Thief Lord
by Cornelia Funke
A great book, a great movie�the enchanting tale of mystery, magic, and adventure set in the intriguing city of Venice--home of Carnivale, a magnificent annual celebration of history and merriment! During the event, Venetians hide their identities with masks and cloaks and other disguises. Many of the masks and costumes are elaborate, colorful and richly detailed. Some look like animals or imaginary creatures or even people!
Your challenge is to create a carnivale mask. Use the template I have provided or design your own mask. There are many websites with patterns and ideas for your mask. Here is one:

http://www.colorbookmasks.com/mardigras.htm

Cut your mask out of cardstock or foam or any material you have at home. Decorate your mask with pattern paper, markers, feathers, sequins, beads, glitter, ribbon, confetti. . . you decide! Have fun! Be sure to post your mask so we can all see it. You may even want to model it for us in your photo! By the way, try the book!

SEE ALL ENTIRES FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE

QUESTIONS? Chat with me about this challenge HERE

**You have 60 minutes to complete the challenge

Uploading Instructions:

Samples: naturecoastcrafter; peggysue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mask 5.jpg (34.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNJpgs.jpg (45.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNJ.jpg (52.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-23-2008 at 01:16 PM..
Stazon Splitcoast

Default AUG08VSNK ~ Sat Aug 23 4pm CT ~ "The Art of Eric Carle" CHAT THREAD

The Art of Eric Carle

Eric Carle is a well known writer and illustrator of beautiful children�s picturebooks. Perhaps his most well known book is "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". His illustrations are collage style created from tissue paper he paints with various tools. Each piece of tissue is colored with tones of a single color using stripes, swirls, and splotches. He then cuts shapes out of various colors to create his images. His collages are vibrant and whimsical and I love them! To learn more about Eric Carle, you can visit his website and see examples of his illustrations at www.eric-carle.com.

My challenge to you is to use a watercoloring technique on your card. There many ways to watercolor on your cards, please use your favorite method. If you are new to watercoloring or want to try a new method, here are some tutorials:

Watercolor Crayons
Watercolor Pencils
Watercolor with Reinkers

**Bonus Challenge � Incorporate collage style on your card**

Thanks for playing my challenge and have fun! I can�t wait to see what you create.

Questions, comments or just wanna chat? Visit the chat thread HERE

Check out the gallery for this challenge HERE

The fine print:

Uploading Instructions:

*Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. If you are using additional keywords, you must separate them with a comma. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNK sample.jpg (62.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNK.jpg (75.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNKpgs-1.jpg (73.2 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by peggysue; 08-23-2008 at 01:32 PM..
Gallery Gazer

Default AUG08VSNL ~ "The Color Purple" ~ Saturday 5pm CST ~

Book Title: �The Color Purple�
Author: jhes3 (Jennie Heskin)
Keyword: AUG08VSNL
Day/Date: Saturday, August 23rd
Time: 5:00 PM (CST)

As many of you know, our hostess for this challenge, Jennie, has been in and out of the hospital for the last few months. Unfortunately, she's back in the hospital again, so I'm filling in for her. Get better soon, Jennie!! We miss you!

Here's Jennie's challenge:

When I first began thinking of ideas for this theme, "The Color Purple" immediately came to mind. It is such a great book, filled with great inspiration.

From Wikepedia . . . . The title derives from a discussion between Celie and Shug about faith. Describing what God does to please people, Shug says, "I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it." After Celie asks what God does in response to this obliviousness, Shug replies that he creates something else people will see, because God just wants to be loved. The discussion leads to the rekindling of Celie's spirituality, despite years of abuse and neglect.

In honor of this great book, my challenge to you is to make a card using the color purple. You can use paper, ink, or embellishments, but somewhere on your card, the color purple should be showcased.

Thank you for playing in my challenge.

Check out the gallery for this challenge HERE.

Uploading Instructions:

samples: garkarlon; flutterbees13; peggysue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNL%20The%20Color%20Purple.jpg (191.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNL.jpg (71.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNLpgs.jpg (56.5 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-23-2008 at 02:05 PM..
Gallery Gazer

Default AUG08VSNM Fancy Nancy!

Title: "Fancy Nancy!"
Hostess: resqbarbie/Denise
Keyword: AUG08VSNM
Date/time: Saturday, Aug 23, 6pm CDT

GO GET FANCY!

My 5 y/o daughter Gia�s Favorite books are the Fancy Nancy series by Jane O�Connor. Nancy is just so fancy! She dresses fancy, speaks fancy (in French, ooh la la!) and decorates her room fancy! It is a wonderful series and we read one almost every night.

For this challenge, I want to see the FANCIEST cards you can make! Glam them up with ribbon, rhinestones, glitter, and lace! Make Nancy (and Gia) proud! This is a grown-ups challenge but if your little one is Fancy like mine, let them play too!
**Extra points for making your sentiment Fancy in FRENCH!**

Here is a link to Jane O�Connor�s website for some more fancy stuff and inspiration!
http://www.harpercollinschildrens.co...y/default.aspx

Just to get you all fancied up for VSN here are some tips from Nancy (and Gia):

Step 1: Express your inner FANCY!
If you feel fancy on the inside, let it show on the outside. When you�re going out on the town, make sure you�re dressed to the nines (that�s a fancy expression for dressing up extra fancy). Wear your most posh outfits everywhere! And don�t forget to accessorize. Accessories are very fancy.

Step 2: Being Polite is Fancy!
Always use �please� and �thank you� when someone helps you or gives you something. Sip your tea and never slurp your soup. Having good manners and being polite is a very fancy way of letting others know that you respect them and care about them.

Step #3: Les Francias est tres Fancy!
That�s a fancy way of saying, �French is very fancy!� There are many very glamorous French words you can learn. Here�s a list of just a few:
plume = pen
papier = paper
ami = friend

Step #4: It�s Fancy to be Yourself!
Be exactly who you want to be. Your thoughts and opinions are tr�s important! After all, what makes you unique is also what makes you extremely fancy. Always be true to yourself and you will always be fancy.

Uploading Instructions:

Samples: resqbarbie; peggysue; flutterbees13
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0881.jpg (47.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNM.jpg (45.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNMpgs.jpg (81.2 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-23-2008 at 03:06 PM..
Gallery Gazer

Default AUG08VSNN ~ Sat Aug 23 7pm CT ~ "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

Title: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
Hostess: Karen (kthaman)
Keyword: AUG08VSNN
Time: 7:00 PM (CST)

I love books (and chocolate ). But this book - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - hooked me with the movie (the one with Gene Wilder). I love the vivid colors, and the chocolate garden is something my mind would never have dreamed up!

My favorite parts of the story were the appearances of the Oompa Loompas - I loved their poetic delivery of wisdom!

In honor of those little folk, your challenge is to create a project that includes an Inchie!

An inchie is simply a piece of art in a 1inch size. Create your project with a single inchie or a group of inchies (hmmm...are those groupies ).

Uploading Instructions:

samples: kthaman, flutterbees13, peggysue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kth_halloween_inchies.jpg (84.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNN.jpg (41.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNNpgs.jpg (59.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-23-2008 at 04:04 PM..
Stazon Splitcoast

Default AUG08VSNO ~ Harry Potter and the Paper Potion ~ Saturday, August 23 8:00 P.M. CST

Title: Harry Potter and the Paper Potion
Hostess: Little Lou's (Stacey)
Keyword: AUG08VSNO
Day/Date: Saturday, August 23, 2008
Time: 8:00 PM (CST)

One of my favorite books is the Harry Potter series. I love the fantasy aspect, the battle against good and evil and the complex characters, especially Professor Snape. Now most people see Professor Snape as the mean old potions teacher who hates Harry, but for anyone who has read the last book of the series we know that there is a lot more to him than meets the eye.

When Harry and his class mates have to make a potion in Professor Snape's class, they must follow the directions carefully and add only the amounts of the ingredients asked for. My challenge to you is to make a card using ONLY the supplies listed below and only in the quantities listed. No more, no less. Don't worry though, unlike Professor Snape, I will not take house points or give you detention if you get caught talking to Ron, or if Hermione has to help you out a little bit. I will also not allow any Draco Malfoy types in to play, so don't worry about snide comments or snares behind your back!

1. You must use only 3 colors/shades of card stock or ink. This includes the patterned paper and neutrals. Example, you can use red, white and blue card stock and red, white and blue ink. Your patterned paper can only have the colors red, white and blue in it. You can choose the colors you want, but remember, no more or no less than 3 colors.

2. You can only use 2 accessories on your card. With this part you can add a neutral color if you wish, or you can use a color that already matches. Example, you can add silver brads or black eyelets to the colors above, or you can use red and blue ribbon. Each piece of accessory counts as 1, so 2 brads is 2 accessories.

3. Glitter or embossing powder is not allowed.

4. You must stamp at least 2 different images on your card, but no more that 4 separate images. You must also use 1 greeting. You can repeat the images and greetings as often as you like.

5. You have to use a punch of some sort for your card. This is the only part that I am not limiting you to, you can use as many punches as you like, as long as you conform to the rest of the requirements for the card.

Bonus Points: (not required, just for fun)

Use any "House Colors" on your card. For those of you who are Harry Potter impaired here are the House Colors:
  • Gryffindor: Scarlet and Gold
  • Hufflepuff: Yellow and Black
  • Ravenclaw: Blue and Bronze
  • Slytherins: Green and Silver

Use black in your card (since the students at Hogworts wear black robes)

Incorporating images that remind us of witches and wizards (a witch, pumpkins, broomsticks, black cats)

Remember, the most important part is to have fun and start creating. Like potions class, you do have a limited amount of time to complete your card. When you are finished, instead of bringing a vial of your potion to the front of the class for grading, please just post your card in the gallery!

Happy Stamping!

*** ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10:00 PM CENTRAL TIME ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 24***

VIEW ALL THE CARDS MADE FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE.

Questions? Chat thread HERE

Uploading Instructions:

*It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in the chat thread, in case the gallery is being testy.

Samples: Little Lou's; flutterbees13; peggysue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUGVSN My Sample.jpg (47.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNO.jpg (51.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNOpgs-1.jpg (77.6 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by peggysue; 08-23-2008 at 05:05 PM..
Stazon Splitcoast

Default AUG08VSNP ~ Key Lime Pie Murder Challenge! ~ Saturday, August 23, 9:00 P.M. CST

Forums at SplitcoaststampersTitle: Key Lime Pie Murder Challenge
Hostess: casep (Pat)
Keyword: AUG08VSNP
Day/Date: Saturday, August 23, 2008
Time: 9:00 PM (CST)

There�s nothing like a good murder mystery! Classic whodunnits come to mind written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Erle Stanley Gardner, and (my personal favorite) Agatha Christie.

Joanne Fluke has written a series of contemporary murder mysteries about a baker named Hannah Swensen. Because Hannah is a baker, every mystery has a baked good in the title:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
Sugar Cookie Murder
Strawberry Shortcake Murder
Peach Cobbler Murder
Blueberry Muffin Murder
Cherry Cheesecake Murder
Lemon Meringue Pie Murder
Key Lime Pie Murder
Fudge Cupcake Murder
Carrot Cake Murder

Your challenge is to create a card in a COLOR SCHEME that matches the title of one of these books. You may use any layout, stamps, embellishments, etc. you like. Please put the name of the baked good in the title of your card when you upload it.
Example: Peach Cobbler Birthday

*** ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10:00 PM CENTRAL TIME ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 24***

VIEW ALL THE CARDS MADE FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE

Questions? Find the chat thread HERE

Uploading Instructions:

Here are some samples: casep; flutterbees13; peggysue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cherry Cheesecake Thank you thmb.jpg (50.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNP.jpg (56.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNPpgs.jpg (105.7 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by peggysue; 08-23-2008 at 06:06 PM..
Gallery Gazer

Default AUG08VSNQ ~ Mukiwa ~ Saturday, Aug. 23, 10:00 PM CST

VSN Submission�Beth Hartley
Saturday, August 23rd at 10:00 PM (CST).
The keyword for this challenge is: AUG08VSNQ

Mukiwa by Peter Godwin is a fantastic book about a boy growing up in Zimbabwe, Africa. I was fortunate enough to have lived in Zimbabwe for a year, and spent a few summer trips there during my single days working at a mission.

When I think of Africa, I immediately think of all the fantastic creatures that grace the plains and veldts of the land��elephant, lion, wildebeest, giraffe, water buffalo, and zebra. Two animals that are my personal favorites are the ugly warthogs that only their mothers could love�.they are so ugly they are cute. And, the infamous dung beetle, whose job it is to roll big balls of poo along with their hind legs in which to lay their eggs! They also feed off the poo, too. J

Your challenge is to come up with an AFRICAN ANIMAL CARD using the BRAYERED BATIK technique. (If you don�t have any African animal stamps, that�s okay, any animal will do. Or just use the Technique if you have no animal stamps�.it�s the technique we want first! The animals are secondary)

Brayered Batik Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

You will need the following items (or similar items) to complete your challenge.
Spectrum� Pad
Rubber Brayer
Watercolor paper
Water mist bottle
Black Craft Ink� or Versamark�
Black Embossing Powder
Embossing Buddy�
Powder Pal�
Heat tool
Go GET WILD and let�s see what you can do!!!

Uploading Instructions:

Samples: Bethhartley; peggysue; flutterbees13
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNQ.jpg (75.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNQpgs.jpg (55.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNQ.jpg (57.0 KB, 33 views)
Gallery Gazer

Default AUG08VSNR - The Dusty Trail - Sat., Aug. 23 11:00 PM CST

Title: "The Dusty Trail"
Hostess: Linda Anderson/studbo
Keyword: AUG08VSNR
Time: 11:00 (CST)

"The Dusty Trail" sounds like a Luis L'Amour western, doesn't it?! We will be kicking up some dust on our trail tonight...the trail that leads to where your stamps are stored.

Who doesn't have stamps that are collecting dust from not being used often enough, if at all? Well I challenge you to dust off those un-used/un-loved stamps and create a card. No image or sentiment can be used from a stamp or stamp set that has seen ink in the past 4 weeks! Now that's some serious dust!!!

Uploading Instructions:

Samples: studbo, peggysue, flutterbees13
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_2008_8_21_5_0_47_resized.jpg (165.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg AUG08VSNRpgs.jpg (73.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Flutterbees_AUG08VSNR.jpg (54.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by flutterbees13; 08-23-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for joining us tonight! That is the final challenge for tonight's Book Club, and for this VSN!

Peggysue and I would like to thank each of you for participating in this VSN with us. We have had so much fun organizing this, and it's almost a little sad now that it is all over.

Remember that you have all day tomorrow to complete the challenges. All entries must be posted by 10:00 PM tomorrow night. The no-upload on Sunday rule has been lifted, so feel free to get your cards posted!

Thank you for playing with us!