Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Here Comes The Sun Master Challenge Thread

You'll find all the challenges here as they post in order.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 440 Likes on 151 Posts

Challenge Title: Round & Round
Hostess: lacyquilter (Melody)
Keyword: <style type="text/css"></style>MAR16VSNA
Date: Friday, March 18, 2016 - 5 PM EST

Welcome to March 2016 VSN - Here Comes the Sun! I hope you're ready for some fun challenges. I'm honored to be the one to start you off.

If we look up into the sky on a cloudless day, there's a bright ball of fire that cannot be mistaken for anything other than the sun. It gives us light and keeps us warm.

My challenge for you is simple; since the sun is round, I want you to use one or more circles on your card or make a round card. For circles, you can use stamps, punches, dies, a drawing compass. If you don't have any of those, make circles by tracing around a soup can, a glass, or a coin, whatever you have available that's round. You can even use toilet paper rolls or bottle caps to stamp with -- you get the picture. However you choose to make your circles, be creative and be sure to have fun. I can't wait to see your fun creations.

View the gallery for this challenge: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
View the Here Comes The Sun gallery: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
View the Here Comes The Sun Challenge Thread: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10 P. M. EST ON Sunday, March 27.
2. You have 1 hour to complete the challenge, unless otherwise noted.....you do not have to count prep time!
3. We have a special gallery for the Here Comes The Sun VSN.
a) From the "Main Gallery" dropdown list on the first page of the uploader, choose Events and Special Collections.
b) From the Sub-gallery dropdown list, choose Virtual Stamping and Scrapbooking Nights ~ it's the last in the list.
c) From the new sub-gallery dropdown list choose Here Comes The Sun - it's the very top of the list.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
5. Please do not combine VSN challenges...but you may combine any other challenges with a VSN challenge!

It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in this chat thread to be sure your layout is seen. THANKS SO MUCH FOR PLAYING ALONG!!!

Thank you to all the hostesses who made samples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM8069.jpg (77.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed_278_by_Dr_Sonja.jpg (152.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png MAR16VSNAc22_by_Cook22.png (1.06 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNA_Circles_sm_by_smadson.jpg (42.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNA_by_LuvLee.jpg (41.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3076_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (76.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3_18_16_MAR16VSNA_by_Shoe_Girl.JPG (137.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg mar16vsnamjo_by_Scraperwannabe.JPG (116.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNA_by_berlycece.JPG (77.8 KB, 5 views)
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 ~ Fan Club Member ~ gallery ~ FS620 lacyquiltercome join the Alphabet Challenge. ~ My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Challenge Title: Sun symmetry
Hostess: tessaduck (Brenda)
Keyword: MAR16VSNB
Date: Friday, March 18, 2016 - 6 PM EST

Remember the landscapes we drew when we were kids? Green hills with blue rivers, and a sun up in the corner with rays going out in all directions? Believe it or not, that sun was our first step into radial or rotational symmetry.

Here's some more opportunities to play with radial or rotational symmetry:

Use a die or stamp with a sun shape-- a circle with repeated patterns all around.

Use Forums at Splitcoaststampers with a MISTI to achieve rotational symmetry. Alternatively, use a stamp-a-ma-jig to place the same image in a circle or arch.

Score lines that cross at a shared point.

Try Forums at Splitcoaststampers.

NOTE: The sun is not the only image that fits with radial or rotational symmetry. Think flowers, medallions, doilies, or sea stars... or galaxies far, far away!

So, for this challenge, use an image that has a sun shape-- radial or rotational symmetry.

View the gallery for this challenge: HERE
View the Here Comes The Sun gallery: HERE
View the Here Comes The Sun Challenge Thread:Forums at Splitcoaststampers

2. You have 1 hour to complete the challenge, unless otherwise noted.....you do not have to count prep time!
a) From the "Main Gallery" dropdown list on the first page of the uploader, choose Events and Special Collections.
b) From the Sub-gallery dropdown list, choose Virtual Stamping and Scrapbooking Nights ~ it's the last in the list.
c) From the new sub-gallery dropdown list choose Here Comes The Sun - it's the very top of the list.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
5. Please do not combine VSN challenges...but you may combine any other challenges with a VSN challenge!

It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in this chat thread to be sure your layout is seen. THANKS SO MUCH FOR PLAYING ALONG!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shine_by_tessaduck.jpg (38.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM8070_by_lacyquilter.JPG (5.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3042_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (78.3 KB, 13 views)

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Challenge Title: Sunshine Box
Hostess: Angie (ohmypaper!)
Keyword: MAR16VSND
Date: Friday, March 18th

Hello, everyone! Are you ready for some sunshine? Our winter has been very warm but the sun has been absent more than usual which makes this weekend's theme, even more, fun!

When I googled the word "sunshine", a Pinterest board popped up with "sunshine boxes". The idea is to fill a box full of sunshine-colored items and send it off to cheer up a friend.

My challenge is to create a card with an image or embellishment of something you could fit into a sunshine box. The sky is the limit on this so long as the image or item is YELLOW and could fit in a box!

Below is a photo of a sunshine box I gave to a friend, feel free to choose something from my box or come up with your own item, just make sure it's yellow!

View the Here Comes The Sun Challenge Thread:Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM8094_by_lacyquilter.jpg (149.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed_279_by_Dr_Sonja.jpg (53.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3070_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (78.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSND_by_LuvLee.jpg (38.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3.18.16 VSN a 004.jpg (42.7 KB, 5 views)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

Challenge Title: Made for Sunny Days
Hostess: Misti (Scraperwannabe)
Keyword: MAR16VSNE
Date: Friday, March 18

I LOVE sunny days... sunny WARM days to be precise. I know there are lots of cold weather places that have the sun, but I'm challenging you to show something that are more enjoyable on WARM sunny days. (bike riding, kite flying, playing in the water, ice cream, going to the beach, etc.)

I look forward to seeing your creations in the VSN gallery Dont forget to use the keyword MAR16VSNE for this challenge when you upload your creation!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mar16vsnemjo.JPG (109.0 KB, 8 views)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 420 Likes on 183 Posts
Default We'll Sing In The Sunshine by smadson ~ Saturday, March 19th - 1 pm EST - MAR16VSNF

Challenge: We'll Sing In The Sunshine
Hostess: Sharon (smadson)
Keyword: MAR16VSNF
Date: Saturday, March 19th 1 PM EST

When reading about the theme, I thought of this song:

So my challenge to you is to make a card with someone singing on it, or with music on the card. Take it wherever it goes for you, just remember to sing as you work.

Here is my sample, And thank you Dr. Sonja and Covington Crafter, LacyQuilter, LuvLee and Cook22 for your samples!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSNMar16F_Music_for_Charis_sm_by_smadson.jpg (59.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed_280_by_Dr_Sonja.jpg (125.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3041_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (78.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM8085_by_lacyquilter.jpg (110.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNF_by_LuvLee.jpg (50.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNFc22_by_Cook22.jpg (52.1 KB, 6 views)

Sharon ♥♥♥ 

Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Brayered Sunny Sky by berlycece ~ Sat. March 19 ~ 2 pm EST - MAR16VSNG

Challenge Title: Brayered Sunny Sky
Hostess: Kim, aka berlycece
Keyword: MAR16VSNG
Date: Saturday March 19, 2 pm EST

When I think of this VSN theme, "Here Comes the Sun," I think of a beautiful sunrise! (That and the classic Beatles tune!) Depending on the time of year and the number of clouds on a particular day, an early morning sky can be laced with deep blues, golds, oranges, pinks, purples, even grays. My avatar is a photo my husband took a couple of years ago in the Smoky Mountains near Gatlinburg Tennessee during our Thanksgiving vacation. I could stare at sunrises and sunsets all day if they lasted that long!

Getting different shades in the sky on a card can be done various ways, but for this challenge, I am asking you to pull out your BRAYER. If you don't have one, you might want to ask another crafting friend or you could use sponges. If this is a completely new technique, be not afraid! Forums at Splitcoaststampers from the Brayer Queen herself, Michelle Zindorf.

You can use similar tones, or add as much variety as you like. I like to look at an actual photo of the sky to give me inspiration. Just have FUN!!

It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in this chat thread to be sure your card is seen.

I can hardly wait to see what you create!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10365850_962336660462590_7744596227375692663_n.jpg (14.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg winter back yard sunset.jpg (56.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3_19_16_MAR16VSNG_by_Shoe_Girl.jpg (127.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM8118_by_lacyquilter.jpg (137.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3069_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (65.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNGc22_by_Cook22.jpg (78.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed_288_by_Dr_Sonja.jpg (157.6 KB, 4 views)
Kim in Illinois Proud SCS Fan Club Member!!My Gallery QFTD#207Winter Virtual Stamp Night: Let the TV be your GuideMini is Fri Nov 19; Main is December 17 & 18
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Brighten the Grey by Cook22 ~ Sat. March 19 ~ 3 pm EST - MAR16VSNH

Challenge Title: Brighten the Grey
Hostess: Cook22 ~ aka Sabrina
Keyword: MAR16VSNH
Date: Saturday March 19, 2016 - 3 PM EST

I'm all about adding some bright yellow to a grey day here - we're talking a colour challenge. Yes, me and a colour challenge, who'd have thought it!!

I think we are pretty lucky to live in a temperate climate here in Ireland, but we do have a LOT of grey days - sometimes I think it almost feels as if the sky is a grey lid pressed down over the city. And a little sunshine makes a big difference and makes everybody feel happier.
So for my challenge - your main colour should be grey but add a cheerful dose of bright yellow. Small amounts of other colours are OK but your card should primarily be grey with yellow. It doesn't have to be sunshine - I would love it if someone had a little yellow submarine in a grey sea , or a single yellow flower in amongst a bunch of grey ones... a grey elephant with a little yellow flower... wherever your imagination takes you.

View the gallery for this challenge here: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
View the Here Comes The Sun Challenge Thread Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Big thanks to Sonja, Melody, Carla, Lisa, Kim, Misti and Lee for great samples. I hope you're already feeling the positive lift of some sunshine on a grey day. I came home from my MIL with a big bunch of bright yellow daffodils to brighten a grey day here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed_283_by_Dr_Sonja.jpg (50.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM8072_by_lacyquilter.jpg (161.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3038_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (84.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 3_19_16_MAR16VSNH_by_Shoe_Girl.jpg (140.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNH_by_berlycece.jpg (75.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg mar16vsnhmjo_by_Scraperwannabe.jpg (133.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNHa_by_LuvLee.jpg (39.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNHc22.jpg (99.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNH2c22.jpg (77.0 KB, 4 views)
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Challenge Title: Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows
Hostess: Janet (JanetJ)
Keyword: MAR16VSNI
Date: Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 4:00 PM EST

Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows - I loved to hear my sister sing that song!!

For this card, you need to make a card with Sunshine and also either Lollipops or Rainbows on your card (or you can do both)!
The CHALLENGE for this card is to use Heat Embossing on your card - since the sun is SO hot!!

Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Challenge Title: Vintage Sun
Hostess: Michelle (Mit240z)
Keyword: MAR16VSNJ
Date: Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 5 PM EST

While listening to the song Here Comes The Sun I started thinking about how most of my favorite happy songs are oldies. There my go to for dancing with the kids or background for cleaning to help put a little pep in my step.

So my challenge to you is to make your card look like an oldie. Make it vintage, antique or distressed. Just make it look a little aged or give a little wear and tear.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1029.jpg (68.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Vintage Sun.jpg (41.5 KB, 7 views)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Challenge Title: Give me a Head With HAIR!
Hostess: Covington Crafter (Carla)
Keyword: MAR16VSNK
Date: Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 6 PM EST

When Lee posted the theme, Here Comes the Sun, I immediately thought of another sun themed song, Let the Sunshine In, from the funky, late 60's musical Hair and of course that marvelous song, Hair!

So my challenge for you: Give me a head with hair,” strange and wonderful hair. Wire it, tangle it, add flowers or leaves, Zentangle it.
Stamp or draw a head and get creative with that hair! Need some inspiration besides our samples? Here's my Mixed Media Hair Pinterest board.

Don't forget to use MAR16VSNK in keywords when you upload your card for this challenge. Can't wait to see your fun creations!

Check out the samples below for some ideas. Thank you Sonja, Sharon, Melody, Sabrina and Lisa for your marvelous samples!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3034_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (62.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3035_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (72.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed_286_by_Dr_Sonja.jpg (141.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg VSN_Hair_smm_by_smadson.jpg (55.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM8091_by_lacyquilter.JPG (157.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg mermaid.jpg (62.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3_19_16_MAR16VSNK_by_Shoe_Girl.JPG (130.5 KB, 5 views)
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Challenge Title: Use a BRAND NEW item from your stash
Hostess: Merla (Crafty Merla)
Keyword: MAR16VSNL
Date: Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 7 PM EST

Sunrise signals a brand new day with no mistakes in it.

So, my challenge to you is to find that brand new item in your stash that you have not used and get creative.

It can be anything from a brand new stamp set to an accessory you might have bought on clearance! Whatever you haven't taken the time to play with yet, is what you want to grab now. Take the time to show those neglected items a little bit of warmth. Make sure to let us know what it is that you have finally dusted off and used.

I look forward to seeing your creations in the VSN gallery Dont forget to use the keyword MAR16VSNL for this challenge when you upload your creation!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Tick Tock.jpeg (51.5 KB, 3 views)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Challenge Title: Sunny Boat Ride to Paradise
Hostess: Lisa (Shoe Girl)
Keyword: MAR16VSNM
Date: Saturday, March 19

Recently I was out of a boat in the Caribbean and the sunshine was perfect. It was not too hot, and even on rainy days it was still perfect weather. My challenge to you is to create a card with a boat.

Come check out the excellent samples from Sonja, Carla, Melody, Sabrina and I.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed_282_by_Dr_Sonja.jpg (44.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Boat_by_Covington_Crafter.jpg (144.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM8107_by_lacyquilter.JPG (161.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNMc22_by_Cook22.jpg (85.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3_19_16_MAR16VSNM_by_Shoe_Girl.JPG (158.0 KB, 4 views)
VSN Coordinator
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Seasons In The Sun by LuvLee ~ Saturday, March 19th - 9 pm EST - MAR16VSNN

Challenge Title: Seasons In The Sun
Hostess: LuvLee (Lee)
Keyword: MAR16VSNN
Date: Saturday, March 19

Here's a throwback to the 70's! I remember learning this song in school when I was really little. I have so few memories but a teacher when I was really young loved music and passed that love along to many of us!

In keeping with the song's theme of "Seasons", my challenge is for you to make a card incorporating any of the 4 seasons as long as you also use sunshine somewhere and somehow, even if it's just a peek!! After all, the sun shines all year!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAR16VSNNa.jpg (50.5 KB, 6 views)